Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Quantum Toast posted:

Huh, I thought the Mask Maker was what Tea was looking for in the village. I'm curious now.

There's two things I know Nat hasn't gotten yet: The Weaversong charm and the grub stash. I do not remember where either of them actually is in there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Dareon posted:

There's two things I know Nat hasn't gotten yet: The Weaversong charm and the grub stash. I do not remember where either of them actually is in there, though.

I'm pretty sure it's the Weaver's Den in general. Which is actually not in Distant Village itself, it's off to the east of that large room with the dream tree. Look for a Devout blocking a path that seems to be protecting nothing - the entrance is actually behind it.

I also hope you go back and save Bretta sometime.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Weaver's Den in general. Which is actually not in Distant Village itself, it's off to the east of that large room with the dream tree. Look for a Devout blocking a path that seems to be protecting nothing - the entrance is actually behind it.

I'm pretty sure That was the Devout at the very end, and if Nat had continued right instead of doubling back he would have found it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah Nat was like pixels away from discovering the thing and then didn't. Oh well!

Also if you kill Herrah after doing a certain event elsewhere in the world, you get some extra lore when you wake up.

Reveilled posted:

While I think Tea's theory is very plausible, I always assumed that the weird thing in the den was Hornet's Chrysalis or cast off-shell from which she was born, since she was half-wyrm

This exists in the place that Tea was trying to direct Nat to.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I will note if you spend long enough with Millibelle you can get 1.5x the geo you invested up to 6824 according to the wiki. Handy if you want to buy some of the expensive DLC stuff.

It's a good place to use gathering swarm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Cowardly Patreon members giving Nat an out to his haphazard exploration. Sad!

Also lol I did the exact same thing to poor old Poggy Thorax or whoever when I first played this game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C-Euro posted:

Also lol I did the exact same thing to poor old Poggy Thorax or whoever when I first played this game.

Well at least he now knows. If he'd done that to Marissa there would have been some very strong words.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Everything about Zote reminds me of Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Millibelle arc made for brilliant comedy. Bravo. :allears: :golfclap:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 16, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
That currently links to episode 41 :v:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

soo just a heads up, that banner leads to the unlisted episode 41, not episode 40.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We'll call that a preview of Patreon only exclusive content???

Totally not an idiotic mistake.

Nope.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Enraged Guardian is a very "healing is for chumps" kind of boss. You get slim, unpredictable windows to heal and if you don't nail the timing you're outright worse off for trying. Better to just fill him with a face full of void and have less chances to take hits.

I had no idea you could get back up to the howling cliffs from that direction! I thought it was just the drop down around there.

Despite having played through this game fully a couple of times, I still have no idea what exactly those messages are referring to as Higher Being.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 16, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh man, that nail arts. I know it's crazy good but I could never use it properly, or even think to use it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I wonder how hard Tea is biting his lip whenever Nat uses the Dream Nail on everything except the thing it can interact with

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally! You found the Cliffs! This a cool area.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ascend! Ascend ascend ascend with Gorb!

Gorb is a strong contender for my favorite Warrior Dream.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Marluxia posted:

Oh man, that nail arts. I know it's crazy good but I could never use it properly, or even think to use it.

I was the same, they're given to you too late, well after you've learned how to control your character, and everything in the game can be gotten past without them so they inevitably fall by the wayside. Game needed enemies that could only be killed by dream arts to force you to use them, but then that would have conflicted with the open-ended nature of the go-anywhere in any-order nature of the game design because it would have made those enemies gates that you couldn't get past if you hadn't discovered an out-of-the-way ability.

They designed a game with a combat system where if you hit things, they die. Then they added a function where if you hold down the button plus a direction to hit things, and then release it, they die... but they die anyway with the first method, so you just carry on using the first method, because it's easier. Because why wouldn't you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I use nail arts all the drat time, because I'm just such a sucker for charge attacks. Must be all the Mega Man.

Apparently, they buffed the spin slash at some point, so maybe for people playing it at release, it was worth. But man, if you can get a full spin going against an enemy, it just deals mega damage. If you don't have time for a spin and it's a boss that only leaves you time for one hit anyway, normal charge is the way to go. Dash, I never see a use case, admittedly.

Generally, it's just another tool in your arsenal. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it's detrimental.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
This is one of those things where LPing the game has pretty significantly affected the way I'd play.

If I didn't have a week long gap between sessions I would be running around charging that nail all the time because it would be fresh from meeting Sheo and I'd internalise it over a few days. But because I play relatively infrequently my brain defaults to the controls it knows, so Hadoken/Nail attacks. It's the same reason that I don't use the descending dark, even though I know it's really strong.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've used the dash slash occasionally with a boss or two who has a penchant for keeping distance from you. Though that's very obviously a situation that would also accept a stun edge.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's a way to make the Nail Arts better but it's a little hidden, if you haven't already found it in a future recording. Hint: it's a charm.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Cactus posted:

I was the same, they're given to you too late, well after you've learned how to control your character, and everything in the game can be gotten past without them so they inevitably fall by the wayside. Game needed enemies that could only be killed by dream arts to force you to use them, but then that would have conflicted with the open-ended nature of the go-anywhere in any-order nature of the game design because it would have made those enemies gates that you couldn't get past if you hadn't discovered an out-of-the-way ability.

They designed a game with a combat system where if you hit things, they die. Then they added a function where if you hold down the button plus a direction to hit things, and then release it, they die... but they die anyway with the first method, so you just carry on using the first method, because it's easier. Because why wouldn't you.

I think also part of the problem is this is normally the first nail arts most players get.

And uh, it sucks. Because the game doesn't actually tell you HOW to use it. Players will use it, and see that it does poo poo damage, not enough to justify using it over just slashing, and then just discard it. And that's an extremely poor first showing for nail arts.

But hey turns out if you (mechanism of Cyclone Slash)keep tapping the attack button after releasing to start the cyclone slash, it lasts longer, dealing more damage, and if you were in the air when you used it, you float down slower. That's just a baffling decision, not telling players.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It does tell you that feature if you hover over it in your collection menu but it is dumb that it doesn't tell you immediately.

I personally liked Nail Arts for one-shotting enemies that are just barely out of one-shot range no matter how strong your default attack is. Like Primal Aspids! They're a lot easier to deal with when you can just dash up to them and destroy them with a Dash Slash or Great Slash in a single go. They're great exploration tools. Maybe not so great for bosses depending on your approach, but not everything has to have an application for every situation does it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I didn't like them the first time since they threw off my already developed sense of combat, but on the second playthrough they're very good for dealing with primal aspids.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

C-Euro posted:

I did it to Dirtmouth's gravekeeper. Poor guy was vindicated about me being a killer.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Who you gonna call? Ghost buggers!

...Wait, that means something different in British.

Hmm. I was thinking about trying to differentiate between these remnant dreams and actual ghosts, but that's just what ghosts are, remnants of feelings and desires imprinted on the environment. I do wonder what differentiates the process of becoming a dream ghost and becoming a charm, although some bugs do both.

Side note, I'm gonna laugh if the next episode is Grimm.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Dareon posted:

Side note, I'm gonna laugh if the next episode is Grimm.

Prediction: In three episodes, Nat beats Nightmare Grimm and Adjective Zote both first try.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

pun pundit posted:

Prediction: In three episodes, Nat beats Nightmare Grimm and Adjective Zote both first try.

If he wants to get to GPZ, he'll still have to save Bretta.

I never used the Nail Arts until I did the Trial of the Fool, where (as Alxprit said) they're great for dealing with weaker enemies quickly. Replaying the game I use them a lot more, though Cyclone Slash is probably the least useful. Which is a shame because Mato is great. There is a bit of a trade-off in that fewer times striking an enemy means less Soul collected, though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

A special slightly early release because I'm drinking tonight!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:stonk:
Nat, you're a monster! A monsterous monster!! :mad:

Tea, you better make Nat finish the Path of Pain as penance for eating Joni's soul!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love the setpiece for this fight, but I gotta be honest you kind of ruined it by doing the fadeout as you left the Shell and not waiting just a second or two later to start it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I dream-nailed Joni too. Although in my case it's because she was the first ghost I encountered and I didn't know what the dream nail did to them...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tenebrais posted:

I dream-nailed Joni too. Although in my case it's because she was the first ghost I encountered and I didn't know what the dream nail did to them...

RIP Marissa.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
:(:hf::(

I just wanted to know more about her story!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Nice job on Hornet 2! It's just the first fight but the increased speed throws off a lot of people

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Some Secret Rooms (don't click this until you've finished the game and want to see if there are any you missed.) It isn't all of them by any stretch, but there are some obscure ones here that I never even knew about or saw in anyone else's playthrough, and some that are extensions of places I thought I'd fully discovered but hadn't. It's crazy how many nooks and crannies are in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Marluxia posted:

Nice job on Hornet 2! It's just the first fight but the increased speed throws off a lot of people

She has some new moves, like the traps she throws out, or being able to jump off of the walls.

I hope Nat remembers to revisit Bardoon now he has the monarch wings. That's probably one of the most direct sources of lore.