Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1405310301491412994

Here's a good take in a sea of poo that is twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1405268502529724418

When that one post before said he only got halfway through it, I thought that was a bad joke or something. Alas...

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I'm sorry, but I disagree

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Jimbot posted:

I was about to post that with the comment "Sterling just posted a rare L" :(

https://twitter.com/shadowmar/status/1405319067083239424

this

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BotW's weapon durability felt dumb and lame, but it can work in games, just a lot of them implement it poorly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There's a better way of making use of those powers in a combat setting than having the game take away your weapons. Like making the combat better and the powers more apparently useful. A smarter designed game would have combined the two for some fun results.

What Breath of the Wild did was the equivalent of someone screaming "you're playing it wrong!" in your ear as it rips the controller out of your hand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It would be better if the Slab powers or environment did any actual damage, but even busting out my better/best weapons and food all the time and doing bombs and time stop poo poo the fights in BotW at some point just become loving slogs. The enemies have 1-2 moves each and the second and third tier monsters have 4 times as much health as they really need.

The weapon durability isn't really the issue with the gameplay.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jim is absolutely right on this one.

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1404941726196719617

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

If the vast majority of players don't want to engage with something you put in a game, maybe it's not their fault and you should have instead put in something fun that they'd want to engage with.

Weapon durability sucks because in most games that use it it goes down unrealistically fast so it feels like every weapon is made of cardboard.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 17, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jimbot posted:

They are right and BOTW was bad

Jamie Faith posted:

I was about to post that with the comment "Sterling just posted a rare L" :(

https://twitter.com/shadowmar/status/1405319067083239424

this

It discouraged me from playing the game. Compare to say Ratchet and Clank which has a billion weapons and none of them break and yet it's extremely fun to try them all

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 17, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Begun the Durability War has...

... oh, it's over now because it broke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm a big Zelda fan and I'm one of the weirdos that didn't like BOTW and the weapon bullshit was one of the major reasons.

Magic can make a lot of stuff negligible in Dark Souls but the vast majority of people still fight with their weapons so I don't buy the argument those tweets be making either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

weapon durability is good in fire emblem thracia 776

edit: also f plus is funny but lets be real, they say some stupid poo poo sometimes too. like that ep where they acted like you had to be crazy and an awful person to criticize autism speaks, lol. its just a natural consequence of the format, if your entire shtick is that you're the normal person mocking crazy people, any information you see that you aren't sure about you're gonna immediately be against. that ep was a while ago and they mostly avoid anything that close to like, 'real life' these days, but its not like they're somehow the 'good' people who hunt down random harmless people online and mock them viciously. i listen to them, theyre funny, but cmon theyre just doing the same thing. their audience not being big enough to cause mass harassment doesnt really change the core issue.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 17, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

My favorite Retsupure will always be that one where the LPer modded himself into the game (Fire Emblem iirc) and made his avatar confess his undying love for another character :allears:

Then that same LPer made that pokemon LP where they talked to the protagonist and also voiced the protagonist talking back :stare:

Genuinely the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in an LP

The best part is the guy had a good sense of humor about the whole thing and gave them kudos.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

weapon durability is good in fire emblem thracia 776

Other games font let me capture physic priests and they're bad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Macaluso posted:

It discouraged me from playing the game. Compare to say Ratchet and Clank which has a billion weapons and none of them break and yet it's extremely fun to try them all

the weapons in rachet and clank all consume ammo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Durability in BoTW is fine, y'all are a bunch of babies. Constantly having to switch and exchange weapons is good for the flow of combat and keeps things fresh and frenetic; stop hoarding your best stuff and just use it. The game is piss easy as it is and there's no reason to hold onto the top tier weapons because nothing actually needs them to be beaten, even the final boss. It is wild to me how much people cry over such a simple mechanic.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

botw2 is probably gonna get a real harsh reception after the devs mistook the first game's success for people actually liking what they did instead of just being the only launch game for a successful platform. I liked it but it's gotten pretty harsh backlash over the years

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sydin posted:

Durability in BoTW is fine, y'all are a bunch of babies. Constantly having to switch and exchange weapons is good for the flow of combat and keeps things fresh and frenetic; stop hoarding your best stuff and just use it. The game is piss easy as it is and there's no reason to hold onto the top tier weapons because nothing actually needs them to be beaten, even the final boss. It is wild to me how much people cry over such a simple mechanic.

Nah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This was good.

yeah. i never thought the old "disney princess are the root cause of little janey not becoming a big CEO loving dumb" also i never saw Gaston was queer coded, then again i am dumb. i always saw him as an insecure toxic masculine dude who is able to keep poo poo smooth until poo poo goes bad and the veneer breaks.

yeah. i don't mind it in some cases but that poo poo sucked in BOTW. resources scarcity is fine in games but that with weapon durabilty sucks. it works in Minecraft though.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
botw was mediocre imo, felt rudderless and disconnected. breakable stuff can work but i havent encountered it in a game where i liked it outside of like minecraft.

early on in the f plus' run i made some offhand untagged comment on my tumblr abt how they were flirting a little too much with sincere misogyny for my tastes and one of the hosts swooped into my ask box to rant and rave at me. maybe theyre normal now. i would hope so.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

botw2 is probably gonna get a real harsh reception after the devs mistook the first game's success for people actually liking what they did instead of just being the only launch game for a successful platform.

lol
lmao
rofl

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A couple months ago I spent way too much time replaying BoTW, 100%'ing it outside of Korok Seeds because :lol: gently caress that noise. Once you get the Master Sword combat becomes boring as gently caress because every fight is just you using it to blow through everything, particularly after you beat all the trials and it scales up to 60 damage. The whole flow of the game's combat is predicated on you having to constantly switch on the fly and work with what is available to you, not always having 60+ power weapons at your disposal. If you want to argue durability should have been toned down so things last a bit longer then fine - I can see your argument - but the game would be boring as gently caress to play with infinite durability royal/lynel weapons available from the word go.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also durability isn't even the worst thing that was revealed about BoTW2

https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1404977873614606336

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Motto posted:

botw2 is probably gonna get a real harsh reception after the devs mistook the first game's success for people actually liking what they did instead of just being the only launch game for a successful platform. I liked it but it's gotten pretty harsh backlash over the years

Lmao what. No people like BoTW, a lot.

I don't even like Zelda games very much and I thought BotW was great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i never thought the old "disney princess are the root cause of little janey not becoming a big CEO loving dumb" also i never saw Gaston was queer coded, then again i am dumb. i always saw him as an insecure toxic masculine dude who is able to keep poo poo smooth until poo poo goes bad and the veneer breaks.
I think that's still the far more natural read on Gaston.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1404879204643184647

Re: Zelda.

Sydin posted:

A couple months ago I spent way too much time replaying BoTW, 100%'ing it outside of Korok Seeds because :lol: gently caress that noise. Once you get the Master Sword combat becomes boring as gently caress because every fight is just you using it to blow through everything, particularly after you beat all the trials and it scales up to 60 damage. The whole flow of the game's combat is predicated on you having to constantly switch on the fly and work with what is available to you, not always having 60+ power weapons at your disposal. If you want to argue durability should have been toned down so things last a bit longer then fine - I can see your argument - but the game would be boring as gently caress to play with infinite durability royal/lynel weapons available from the word go.

It's easy because there's no assumed baseline other than player maybe has an inventory of boko clubs. It can't be anything more because most weapons break easily.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just pretend weapons in Breath if the Wild are like power-ups in Mario games. You find a cool one that's rare and you gently caress up and lose it forever and just continue playing the game like they never existed. At least that's what I've gleaned from watching my sister play it and seeing her rare equipment shatter during a big fight.

Also I really can't fuckin stand Nintendo apologists. Nintendo is a cult.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The weapon durability argument is somehow always just boiled down to "it sucks in botw" or "it's a reminder to go back to town" when I think the strongest argument that it's not always bad is survival horror games like Dead Island or Dying Light where you're supposed to be just struggling through most of the time. It feels dumb avoiding enemies in BotW because you want to save your weapons for a big fight, but it doesn't feel dumb avoiding enemies in a survival horror for the exact same reason because the game setting itself contextualises not wanting to fight everything you come across. You want to kill as many moblins as you can because you're the loving hero of time so it feels bad not doing that because you might run out of sword, but if you can get up on a rooftop and past a group of zombies without fighting them it feels rewarding because you've 'solved' the encounter without dipping into your supplies.

I think the reason BotW comes up so often is that, despite the weapon durability, people genuinely enjoyed the game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This is the "marauders are good enemies because you're supposed to be alternating weapons each shot" argument all over again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Marauders are good enemies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

botw was mediocre imo, felt rudderless and disconnected. breakable stuff can work but i havent encountered it in a game where i liked it outside of like minecraft.

early on in the f plus' run i made some offhand untagged comment on my tumblr abt how they were flirting a little too much with sincere misogyny for my tastes and one of the hosts swooped into my ask box to rant and rave at me. maybe theyre normal now. i would hope so.

theres definitely some extremely, extremely weird stuff in the earlier episodes. the one where they read a crappy poem from someone about their sexual assault and then laugh and mock it becuase CLEARLY she couldnt have been raped, she made a bad poem on the internet about it is like, actively loving dire. i wont hold it against the hosts because it was like, over a decade ago, but good lord i wouldnt recommend listening to any of the episodes before the clingfilm one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BotW was good, with some bad parts.

Endorph posted:

Like that ep where they acted like you had to be crazy and an awful person to criticize autism speaks, lol.

Also yeah, big gently caress off to autism speaks. For people who aren't in the know about them, they try to put on a nice forward face, which means often trying to dodge their actual statements and stuff, which are a whole lot of the time focusing on lovely parents going "UGH IT'S SO HARD TO TAKE CARE OF THIS AUTISTIC KID, WON'T SOMEONE THINK ABOUT ME, PLEASE FIND ME A CURE" essentially, instead of actual autistic people or anything to benefit them as much.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 17, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I actually started listening to fplus over from episode one about a week and a half ago so the topic is weirdly synchronistic. Like, I enjoyed them reading that poem because it was bad and they did a funny voice, but I didn't have any patience for them laughing at the author for making a bad poem about being raped. The early episodes - aside from being well-stocked slur minefields - very often have absolutely no line between deriding the people who make weird poo poo and laughing at the weird poo poo people make.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lotus Aura posted:

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1405268502529724418

When that one post before said he only got halfway through it, I thought that was a bad joke or something. Alas...
in retrospect his calls to action about doing the icarly video now feel more like an actualized threat

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh boy weapon durability! It sucks and here's my cool opinions! Like other people have said, if people aren't engaging with your systems because they suck, the solution probably isn't to just punish people because that just leads to people playing your game extra wrong like using nothing but deku sticks out of a crippling fear that they'll break their one good sword while everyone else on the internet just goes "lmao just use your good swords, the game gives you more when you don't have any" which means your durability system is kind of redundant, if the game gives you more swords for using your swords, all it's achieving is confusing the people who don't pick up on how that works and making it unpleasant for them to no real end while adding the minor busywork of picking up and equipping the new unbroken swords after their previous swords break for those who do.

And that's without getting into the issues of other games and their durability systems overall where they can dampen down the entire experience by leading players to believe entire weapon branches are worthless like Fallout 3 did by introducing you to new weapon types at low durability so a lot of new players would pick up a laser pistol or rocket launcher with limited ammo and almost no durability and find it did piss all for damage, having not had any reason to invest skill points into those skills prior to finding one of those weapons as well, and then decide it was pointless to ever use them again because their pistol did twice as much damage shot for shot. Or how something like Animal Crossing used it solely to slap your hand and tell you to stop playing, you were having too much fun, it was time to stop playing and go repair your poo poo if you were good at keeping track of just how many flowers you watered or get a new tool entirely if you weren't, which achieved almost nothing but padding out playtime in the most obnoxious way possible that was always, readily, excused by "it only takes like five seconds" even though those five seconds added up across every tool in your inventory breaking like once an hour or so. Even in a game like Monster Hunter where keeping your weapons sharp is a staple of the franchise, it ultimately adds very little to the gameplay experience beyond being a tedious chore you have to manage in the middle of a boss fight. Whoops, were you having too much fun beating up the boss and trying to dodge its attacks? Well time to find a corner to hide in so you can sharpen your stick with a long rear end animation, again.

And that's kind of the big problem with durability systems in nearly every single implementation they've gone through: they don't really add anything of value to the game, they're just a tedious limit on the game's fun in a way that even ammo isn't usually. In a shooter ammo is usually your limit on being able to progress, and since in most games enemies drop ammo then being able to shoot dudes, get the ammo, shoot more dudes and repeat is the bulk of your gameplay. But the moment you add in gun maintenance there, so you have to stop mid-shoot to tune up your gun and killing dudes doesn't magically refill your gun health the way picking up the ammo refills your ammo counter then the entire game just slows down and feels a lot less smooth.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
someone mentioned dishonored upthread and my biggest complaint about dishonored, a series i otherwise really like, is that the game punishes you for using the fun powers lol. i guess it's a fair trade off but i like the rat swarm!!! i think its funny and i dont think it should make a pre-teen girl evil if i use it too much

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I liked durability in BOTW (and basically only in BOTW) but think that unique gear like the champion weapons should have been unbreakable or on recharge like the master sword.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sometimes when people talk about the weapon durability in BOTW it feels like I played a different game. Like sure weapons broke but I never once found myself in a situation where I had to farm weapons, or I unexpectedly ran out of weapons in the middle of an encounter because they all broke. You use a weapon, it gets low on durability, you throw it at the enemy, it explodes and they go flying, you switch to the next one. That rules! Then you just pick up every weapon you find, and if you run low you can swing by any town and pick up a few crappy ones to hold you over, or you can restock at a hidden cache of good weapons if you've found one. Then you get the master sword and it's even less of an issue because you always have an ace up your sleeve. I never even found the NPC that lets you upgrade your weapon carrying capacity! I honestly don't understand how I had such a different experience to most people who have an opinion on the subject.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I liked durability in BOTW (and basically only in BOTW) but think that unique gear like the champion weapons should have been unbreakable or on recharge like the master sword.

They certainly shouldn't have cost materials to remake.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

someone mentioned dishonored upthread and my biggest complaint about dishonored, a series i otherwise really like, is that the game punishes you for using the fun powers lol. i guess it's a fair trade off but i like the rat swarm!!! i think its funny and i dont think it should make a pre-teen girl evil if i use it too much

I remember reading or hearing at some point that the High/Low Chaos stuff in the first game was not the original plan but someone high up said "this game is dark as gently caress, we should have a good ending" so they tacked on the non-lethal stuff