Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like the new G-Shock didn't even use 4100. Inexcusable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FXW3EWW8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It would be inexcusable at the $200 price point. At what it costs it's criminal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not a whole lot of meat in the article, but Fossil is planning on a premium Gen 6 device for the fall will the same feature set as the Samsung watches. They don't have a lot of details though on what the underlying hardware will use. That Gen 6 will be the basis for their partner brand watches (again, no surprise.)

They did mention that there will be no budget offerings, at least initially. That's probably the most substantial bit.

No budget devices appears to mean that Google is going all in on a "this is worth the money" strategy, so hopefully that means the overhaul will impress.

https://www.cnet.com/health/fossil-is-planning-a-premium-google-watch-for-fall/

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

quote:

Existing Fossil Google Wear watches won't be upgradable to the new Wear OS software platform.

Maybe the most important bit from that article. Not totally unexpected, I wonder if they're requiring Exynos or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think it's more that the 3100 just isn't up to snuff.

The SD4100 has 2x the A53 cores of the Exynos in the Galaxy Watch 3, so even if Samsung is using a new Exynos, SD4100 should be comparable.

Really though, it's academic since the Ticwatch 3 it's the only 4100 out there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Totally expected my fossil android wear to not get updated. This means I'll just hold onto this one for as long as possible like I did with my moto 360v2 and see if Google can finally get their poo poo together before buying another one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like we're going to hear more from Samsung on Wear on June 28th.

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-wear-os-mwc-2021-1233756/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Assuming it's not all a cruel hoax, Ticwatch Pro 3 is said to be getting the new update.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/nvlyyh/mobvoi_says_the_twp3_will_get_the_new_wear/

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Ugh... Band came unhooked and straight to the concrete.

RIP Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It heard it wasn't getting the update and decided to end it all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I want a smartwatch mostly for texting - my phone lives in my pocket and I wear regular watch anyway. I don't really care about fitness oriented stuff, nor do I need it to be a standalone phone or have GPS or anything. I'm not crazy about spending much money, and the Ticwatch E2 is looking like the best option for what I want and is currently $111. Are there other options I should consider, or is it a reasonable choice for my intended purposes (i.e., just have remote access to my phone).

Thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The TicWatch e3 is apparently available now for $200 and would be a big step up. The e2 was good, just definitely worth the extra money for better chip and ram and the extra side button

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I want a smartwatch mostly for texting - my phone lives in my pocket and I wear regular watch anyway. I don't really care about fitness oriented stuff, nor do I need it to be a standalone phone or have GPS or anything. I'm not crazy about spending much money, and the Ticwatch E2 is looking like the best option for what I want and is currently $111. Are there other options I should consider, or is it a reasonable choice for my intended purposes (i.e., just have remote access to my phone).

Thanks.

You definitely want the E3 not the E2. Believe me when I say the lag on the on 8 year old chip in the E2 makes typing on any Wear OS that isn't the E3 or the Pro 3 (the only two with the 4100) simply impossible.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A couple years ago or so, I replaced the battery on my 2nd generation Moto 360. It's starting to show age again. What are my chances of getting a replacement battery that's in decent shape (i.e. hasn't been sitting on a shelf for 5 years) at this point?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

You definitely want the E3 not the E2. Believe me when I say the lag on the on 8 year old chip in the E2 makes typing on any Wear OS that isn't the E3 or the Pro 3 (the only two with the 4100) simply impossible.

sourdough posted:

The TicWatch e3 is apparently available now for $200 and would be a big step up. The e2 was good, just definitely worth the extra money for better chip and ram and the extra side button

Welp, I saw a refurb E2 on sale from the manufacturer for $70 and jumped on it before I saw these, so I guess I'm going to find out. I tend to go cheap when trying out new tech, so we'll see how it goes. I did the same thing with Bluetooth headphones - get cheap ones to figure out what I am looking for and if the base concept is workable, then go from there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It's not awful at doing basic things, just will be fairly slow and janky. If you want to read notifications and track workouts, it's functional, and battery on the E2 was good at least

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FWIW the 3100 in the Oppo watch has been buttery smooth for me, a big step up from the uh.. 400 series? that was in the Zenwatch 2 I had before that.

Really my only complaints are 1. Assistant doesn't loving work at all and 2. Apps/tiles stay open forever unless I go back to the home screen, like if I flick over to the weather tile and then tilt to wake an hour later it's still there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

FWIW the 3100 in the Oppo watch has been buttery smooth for me, a big step up from the uh.. 400 series? that was in the Zenwatch 2 I had before that.

Really my only complaints are 1. Assistant doesn't loving work at all and 2. Apps/tiles stay open forever unless I go back to the home screen, like if I flick over to the weather tile and then tilt to wake an hour later it's still there.

The 3100 and the 400 are the same chip. They are literally identical. The only difference is the addition of a second chip to handle sensor data which might increase battery life but does nothing for performance. The reason your newer watch is smoother is the additional RAM.

Also hey I'm using a Zenwatch 2 right now! It in no way is more or less performative than the Moto 360v2 and Fossil gen 4s I was using before. If anything, it's a little better than the Fossils simply due to a lack of battery-draining features.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LastInLine posted:

The 3100 and the 400 are the same chip.

Huh. How very Qualcomm.

You're not wrong though, the ZW2 was a real nice little watch, honestly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Little bit disappointed if this is accurate. The first galaxy watch is still my fave look (after the LG urbane 2 but that's been forgotten by everyone except me)

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/1407653639011905539?s=19

Supposedly being announced on the 28th.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think I'm on the opposite side of this, that thing looks perfect to me. Looks pretty slim and simple which is all I really want in a smart watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I just prefer it looking more like a real watch than a completely sporty thing.

At least they have 44mm for those of us who aren't literal babies though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that's the active and not the full watch 4.

I'm bothered by the strap as I hope it doesn't mean proprietary connection or causes regular straps to look bad.

I might trade my watch active 2 in on one as Samsung trade in values are usually amazing. The 44mm is a little small for my wrist through.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ah yeah didn't notice it was the Active. Will still be optimistic for a regular galaxy watch then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do like the more squared off look, hopefully it lacks 2.5d glass like the current one. I also hope it has the anti-glare coating of the Watch 3. I never see it mentioned in reviews, but it has almost a matte look which is amazing for cutting down on glare.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Now we have non-Active leaks. Still too sporty imo

https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/samsung-galaxy-watch-4-design-specifications-renders-exclusive/

Edit: wait are there even any differences from the Active?

Edit 2: the article seems to think there is no Active this year. So I guess this is the same one. Need to read clickbait more carefully but everyone picked this up.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 26, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At this point, I'm just going to wait for the reveal to see. If this is the only one, I'm a bit disappointed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ditto for me. I really like the dress watch style. Couldn't care less about fitness stuff.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So maybe the active 4 is called the galaxy watch 4 and the more traditional looking watch will have a new name? Jesus Christ Samsung.

https://twitter.com/MaxWinebach/status/1408453576108695552?s=19

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Got my Ticwatch E2 today, and so far it seems pretty neat. loving huge on my wrist, but it seems like it is going to be able to do the things I wanted. I can even reply to texts sent using a 3rd party app, and can control playback on VLC with it.

I've only had it for like 5 hours, so still getting used to it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Got my Ticwatch E2 today, and so far it seems pretty neat. loving huge on my wrist, but it seems like it is going to be able to do the things I wanted. I can even reply to texts sent using a 3rd party app, and can control playback on VLC with it.

I've only had it for like 5 hours, so still getting used to it.

Why do you need a third party app to reply to SMS? The stock Messages app does this just fine (well not fine, but as well as Wear OS can do anything which is badly).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Why do you need a third party app to reply to SMS? The stock Messages app does this just fine (well not fine, but as well as Wear OS can do anything which is badly).

It's not SMS, it's a dedicated couples app called Between.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's not SMS, it's a dedicated couples app called Between.

Okay that makes more sense, though I'll admit I'm a little surprised anyone bothered making a Wear OS component after the forced migration to separate Wear OS apps.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So maybe the active 4 is called the galaxy watch 4 and the more traditional looking watch will have a new name? Jesus Christ Samsung.

https://twitter.com/MaxWinebach/status/1408453576108695552?s=19

Wouldn't put it past them to make some new name to show off that this is the new WearOS thing.

:science: Marketing!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Okay that makes more sense, though I'll admit I'm a little surprised anyone bothered making a Wear OS component after the forced migration to separate Wear OS apps.
Just replying to messages doesn't require any dedicated WearOS support, it comes "for free" when you support quick reply on the notification.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Thanks for nothing Samsung

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I didn't expect to be able to order anything today (unlike most blogs), but I expected more than a reiteration of IO and a handful of screenshots.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The confirmation that the new WearOS will be able to run existing WearOS apps at least makes me think that the new "combined" OS is more WearOS than Tizen. Hopefully they actually managed to find a way to get the best of both worlds and not just slap OneUI on WearOS, though we all know that's exactly what it will be.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just watching a quickie version of the Samsung thing and noticed they keep saying "upcoming watches" plural so I'm still hopeful for another style than what we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That's better

https://www.androidheadlines.com/exclusive-samsung-galaxy-watch-4-classic

Edit: Not sure about the colours though. Would prefer shiny metal with black straps.

"For the first time, the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic will be available in three sizes. Samsung will offer it in 42mm, 44mm and 46mm sizes. Typically, Samsung does either 42mm and 46mm or 40mm and 44mm. But it appears that it wants to do three sizes this time. Which should mean there is a size for everyone.

It’ll also be available in three colors, far fewer than the Galaxy Watch 4 Active that leaked last week. There’s a white color, that looks absolutely stunning. As well as a gray and a black color. The cases are also a bit more tame. With a silver and a black option. Which will be available in either stainless steel or aluminum. It appears that all three sizes will have the option for stainless steel or aluminum.

The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic will continue to be compatible with traditional watch bands. Any 20mm watch band will work with all three sizes of the watch. In the box, you’ll get two bands, a S/M and a M/L option. So no matter how large your wrist is, the included band should work just fine."

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 1, 2021