Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
1) She has a functionally magic prosthesis made by Forge, I'm sure it does fine. One of the big themes of this status quo is the mutant-as-machine, or spell-- the synthetic interactions of mutant powers when every mutant power is treated as a gift. Forge makes gorgeous loving machines and Karma has one that literally holds her up, that she uses every day. I can very easily see that, on Krakoa, as a highly treasured thing in and of itself. I don't know if this is what Ayala was going for, but I like the idea of Forge's technology as occupying a role in Krakoan society straddling utility and art. He makes masterpieces, that's his power, and she has made a masterpiece part of her body.

(see also: Wiz Kid, a fairly obscure character I've always been fond of who I'm very excited to see back around. Could he get the use of his legs back via the Crucible or whatever? Maybe. But he hasn't and he appears to be just as proud and in tune with his machines as he always has been, because to him his machines are beautiful.)

2) It's not that recent a development. Karma was introduced in 1980, she lost her leg in 2010. So she's had the prosthesis for over a quarter of her existence as a character, including, in my opinion, the duration of her most sustained character development in the Wells/Abnett New Mutants series. It's been part of who she is for over a decade of publication, and it might be, to her, a reminder of the battles she's fought and the things she's fought for. In fact Ayala makes a point of having characters point out the cut of her dress in this issue-- she's showing her leg off, she's incorporating it into her mutant identity. I've done a fair bit of work on disabilities studies and working with disability in academia and there's no one true narrative to how people deal with the narratives their bodies tell. As mentioned above, Wiz Kid is still in his chair. Professor X obviously is not. Cyclops still wears his visor, etc.. Just as in real life, different people are making different decisions about body and identity. I know some people who would probably want to be reincarnated with a clean slate. I know some people who wouldn't. It appears that Ayala has decided that Karma wouldn't and I think that's a completely legitimate read on the character!

3) Yeah Gabby is dead but do you really think the next issue is going to have everybody going to be like "oh well, too bad for her"? This book has been building up to a crisis in the resurrection protocols for months, as well as a crisis surrounding Fahrouk's presence on the island. We're dealing with a magic island that can raise the dead, and a beloved character's anxieties within that system, there's absolutely no way that this story is over. Just as it would have been silly to have multiple issues of Gabby worrying about resurrection and death and transformation, and wondering what value her life holds in this society, and what her status as a clone means, and becoming increasingly fixated on her own mortality and the injustice of the protocols, and then have her just be permanently fine. This makes sense for the story Ayala is telling, and given how hosed the protocols have been demonstrated to be, I'm glad that it appears to be getting told.

4) Yeah the artist guy was really annoying-- at first I thought he was one of the celebrity cameos but after finishing the issue I have no idea what was supposed to be going on with him.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
90s X-Men isn't my strong point and the wikis I've visited don't help, but after reading Planet Sized ... What the gently caress are Exodus' powers and what did he do there?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
My X-Crossover/Event reading is up to Dream's End and Eve of Destruction.

Are there any known Claremont interviews from him losing the books the 2nd time that might give more light to the situation?

He was on the books for less than a year, and while I get there was a changing of the guard editorially (Quesada becomes EIC shortly after), but it still feels very sudden. Bringing Morrison in was probably a bigger deal than Claremont coming back, but there's also some other things in the stories themselves that scream "this was editorial mandate." Notably: Claremont writes UXM #389 (a Moira-Xavier focused issue after the death of her Shi'ar Golem which... makes that death scene even loving weirder than it is on the surface), but UXM #390- THE DEATH OF COLOSSUS- doesn't have a credited writer (though MU says it's Lobdell). Lobdell is officially back for #391 to #393, before Casey starts his run (and Morrison's NXM starts). I'm reading a lot into it but it definitely feels like either Moira's death, Colossus' death, or the upcoming bullshit with Magneto in EoD contributed to some tension there.

Also, while looking into it, I discovered that Claremont and Davis did a UXM run starting in 2004 that coincided with the Whedon/Cassaday AXM. I had no idea. I know he was doing Xtreme but I don't think I ever realized he was back on his old book a third time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

90s X-Men isn't my strong point and the wikis I've visited don't help, but after reading Planet Sized ... What the gently caress are Exodus' powers and what did he do there?
His powers are whatever is convenient for the story and vaguely "psionic"!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_(comics)#Powers_and_abilities

He's basically what happens when I ask my 5 year old to create a superhero.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Exodus has the power to be powerful. What exactly he can do seems to change frequently but you'd better believe that whatever it is he's doing it's definitely being done powerfully.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_(comics)#Powers_and_abilities

He's basically what happens when I ask my 5 year old to create a superhero.

Yeah. The 90's gave us two ends of the spectrum in mutant powers. You were either something hyper specific like a living television dish or you were like Exodus and called one of the most powerful mutants ever which mostly meant you could fly and your hands and eyes glowed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Exodus is awesome, he has all these titanic but vaguely defined powers and these truly breathtaking pauldrons but he has always just been a total schlemiel and he will never stop being a total schlemiel. I love him. I love this dumbshit pink doofus.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

His powers are whatever is convenient for the story and vaguely "psionic"!

There's a period in the mid-to-late-90s where Lobdell and Nicieza attributed every power that showed in their books to "psionic" abilities. If your power was to smell time, they would attribute it to psionic powers. If you're super strong and can turn your skin to jello? That's some psionic poo poo!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I can see the Karma thing (though haven’t read the last 2 or 3) but I get stuck on No-Girl a bit. She’s even excited after Shadow King mind swaps her to Anole in the same run, no one mentions it when talking about Cosmar’s crucible request. It’s not a mutant power unless it’s been retconned, Sublime just took a new mutants brain out and experimented on it.

She’s probably missing Ernst too.

Exodus’ Omega level power in HoXPoX is telekinesis, so he probably moved poo poo around, adjusted Mars’ axis maybe.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 16, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quotey posted:

I get stuck on No-Girl a bit. She’s even excited after Shadow King mind swaps her to Anole in the same run, no one mentions it when talking about Cosmar’s crucible request. It’s not a mutant power unless it’s been retconned, Sublime just took a new mutants brain out and experimented on it.

No-Girl, AKA Martha, still sees herself as she used to be before Sublime cut her brain and put it into a jar (we readers have been in her head, so to say). Not only was it a traumatic event, she's still not over it. It's been a plot point in as recent as "Spider-Man and the X-Men", where Ernst made a deal with Sinister to clone Martha a new body, but it's popped up before and of course now in New Mutants with her interest in mind swapping.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Martha was pretty hyped when Zero built her a body too, which in the timescale is like 2 months ago.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

I’ll catch up on New Mutants pre gala before saying anything else, I missed the boneyard issue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think the Karma thing is just Ayala fishing for clout or whatever, but I will agree that they could have set this whole situation up better. Like, it could theoretically make sense for Xi'an to not want her leg back, but the writing here hasn't established her mindset very much...or...at all...towards the issue either way, so it feels like an oversight, and I honestly don't like how Ayala made it sound as if you're just some hater if you take issue with this depiction.

Like, the X-Men just terraformed a world through mutant magic. We're really not operating under standard medical norms here and haven't been for a long time.

Also, 2010 wasn't that long ago, particularly in-universe. More importantly, have we considered that Second Coming was really balls so it's not like we ought to hold up its aftereffects as particularly worthwhile. :v: Hellion lost his arms in the same event and he seems to have got them back now, despite arguably having had more character focus about his disability through the years than Xi'an has.

And yeah Karma dressing down the straw-rear end in a top hat in this issue was pretty cringeworthy. As I said in regards to CoTA, Ayala's writing hasn't been foolproof; their take on progressive issues has been as subject to criticism as anyone else's.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
[quote="BrianWilly" post="515543324"]

Also, 2010 wasn't that long ago, particularly in-universe.

[quote]

2019 was like 15 years ago. 2010 was a long rear end time ago.

In universe time is super duper subjective, it's been less than 15 years since Uncanny #1, but character defining things can change multiple times in that time period because of how it's written.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leaving aside lack of interiority on Karma's part in a narrative, it seems like she was reasonably comfortable with the leg while they were all still in San Francisco and probably has had a zero-stress adaptation to the prosthesis given the quality of the item and having support while getting used to it. Part of the idea here is just, yeah, she's decided that's who she is now and it's not a massive deal.

How many regenesised people are wearing glasses?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nessus posted:

Leaving aside lack of interiority on Karma's part in a narrative, it seems like she was reasonably comfortable with the leg while they were all still in San Francisco and probably has had a zero-stress adaptation to the prosthesis given the quality of the item and having support while getting used to it. Part of the idea here is just, yeah, she's decided that's who she is now and it's not a massive deal.

No one questions why Callisto kept her eye out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I can’t believe Hickman had Scott need to wear the visor still for Twitter clout.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They need to stop having Scott meet with Cap because those don’t generally end well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They need to stop having Scott meet with Cap because those don’t generally end well.

Nah, I loving love it every time they meet, and what you said is why. I want a team up mini-series. Those backups in A+X where they had to work together while Scott was still a wanted fugitive honestly made Avengers versus X-Men worth it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I really enjoy the dynamic of two people who have boundless respect for one another but also can't stand talking for more than two minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

I really enjoy the dynamic of two people who have boundless respect for one another but also can't stand talking for more than two minutes.

Yeah.

I didn't read a ton of X-Books when the teen O5 were brought into the future, did Teen Scott ever interact with Steve Rogers?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I mean, you can get surgery for poor eyesight now. Today. In the real world. I'll probably get it when I get older...though, admittedly not if I have to get killed by Magneto or something.

Glasses is honestly a weird example because poor eyesight is usually a genetic thing and not something that happens to you, and I don't know how much Krakoa wants to go fiddling around with someone's inborn genetics. In Scott's case, he needs his rubies specifically because of his psychological issues, and you can't really fix that without rewiring his personality completely.

A better example might be if you lost an eye, Callisto-style. In her case I can certainly believe that she chose not to get that fixed, considering just how long she's worn her eyepatch, literally since we first saw her, and her mutant power lets her see better than you anyway.

Point being, their world is not our world. Their science is not our science, standards of body and identity are going to be different, and it's all worth exploring. And to me personally, making a superficial 1:1 ratio comparison between these standards with our real world standards feels a little lazy. Maybe Karma would want her prosthesis forever. Maybe not. Either way, she's not going to be operating from real world standards of ableism or self-actualization.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except all the times they fixed Scott’s blasts with a simple telepathic tweak that didn’t affect him at all, anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

I dunno if they can't stand talking to each other, but it's definitely that they both see each other as the better versions of themselves, so it makes them mad when the other doesn't do what they think they'd do. Like Cap not sticking up for mutants more or Scott going more revolutionary. Like they both think the other should be better, because they think they should be better themselves, so it's like looking into a mirror and seeing the worst parts of yourself stick out.

It's cool to see them just like "yeah there's gonna be poo poo going down. See you out there saving the world from it!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Krakoan resurrection definitely messes with genetics if need be. Quire made a list of alterations he wanted done when he resurrected including his hair color, removing hair follicles so he never needs to shave, 20/20 vision, and adjusting the size of something that is classified.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like, even before the Crucible, couldn't Elixir or a half dozen other characters have given Karma a new leg? I'm pretty sure it was a decision by more than just Vita Ayala that Karma should continue to have an artificial leg, even if it was just them saying "I think Karma should continue to have an artificial leg" and those other people saying "yes." You can agree or disagree with that decision, but it's incredibly insulting to say they did it for twitter clout.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm just gonna sit here, breathe deeply, and repeat "nobody stays dead in X-Men for long" over and over til the pain goes away.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Quotey posted:

Exodus’ Omega level power in HoXPoX is telekinesis, so he probably moved poo poo around, adjusted Mars’ axis maybe.

Ok this leads to another question. What does "no upper limit" mean for omega mutants. If two mutants are Omega level with telepathy and they fought one another, what would happen?

What does it mean that Magneto is Omega level for magnetism. Does that mean he can control all metal in the solar system?

If Iceman and Storm are omegas what if they both got into an ice fight?

I get that Omega level means super strong but beyond that...

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just thing it's cool that Karma has a robot leg; Karma is cool, though sadly underused.

New Mutants was pretty good; I like the banter and the relationship of the New Mutants (plus Warpath); that group chat was great and I hope we see more of those. Initially I thought the bearded guy was Queer Eye's Jonathan Van Ness which made the initial interactions kind of weird, until he properly introduced himself as Barry.

I liked this week's X-Corp a lot more than the first issue. I still think there's something odd about the pacing and the art is just OK but I enjoyed the issue.

Planet Size X-Men was great; I had forgotten it was Duggan writing and I fully believed this was by Hickman. Larraz as usual was great and I like the idea of mutans creating a new planet for their own (though I fully believe that filling the planet with Arakki mutants means they will get crushed at some point).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ok this leads to another question. What does "no upper limit" mean for omega mutants. If two mutants are Omega level with telepathy and they fought one another, what would happen?

What does it mean that Magneto is Omega level for magnetism. Does that mean he can control all metal in the solar system?

Magneto caught a metal rocket a bazillion miles from from Earth and brought it here quickly and safely. If Storm and Iceman were in a fight where they could only use ice powers Iceman would win, but if they were just in a fight Storm could take out Iceman without even using her powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Planet-Sized: Sure Magneto, I think taking an island of omega-level mutants who are all obsessed with war, giving them a planet and then declaring them regents of the solar system is a great idea. I'm excited to read SWORD and have a full two page spread of Brand just yelling gently caress over this development.

Saoshyant posted:

And then (major spoiler) Vita Ayala decides to kill Gabby off-screen. What. The. gently caress. This is complete trite and just awful in general.

brb gotta go flip a table over

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They aren't all Omega level, I think most of them just have that "good at killing things" mutant power non Omega mutants from the 90's used to have. It's an island of mostly Bishops and Shatterstars.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

It just means that there's nobody else with powers over magnetism that can do it better than him, mutants and humans and other weird poo poo included.

They explain it best in the initial info-page saying like. Forge has the best version of his mutant power, but the results can still be surpassed by other humans so he isn't omega. Wolverine might have the best bone claws among mutants but it's possible to have someone bonier and clawier.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

TwoPair posted:

Planet-Sized: Sure Magneto, I think taking an island of omega-level mutants who are all obsessed with war, giving them a planet and then declaring them regents of the solar system is a great idea. I'm excited to read SWORD and have a full two page spread of Brand just yelling gently caress over this development.

I thought this too at first, but considering earth just got invaded by aliens twice in what seems to be a month's span, maybe having an army of warhardened mutants as the gatekeepers to the solar system isn't a terrible idea.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

They also have a winged horse for some reason. Do they have mutant animals there on top of "humanoid" mutants? Or was someone's mutation that they turned into a winged horse?

Oh I should mention that I think the Gabby storyline has been pretty good, minus the part where Anole never ever brings up Rockslide ever. I like that they're roping in Laura and Daken as a part of Gabby's every day life, and that this is clearly setting up something significant for them.

The newish definition for omega class mutants, introduced in...House of X, I believe?... means that they are the most unmatched wielder of their powers within their own specific category, mutant or otherwise. So on top of the old "no upper limit" criterion, no other person is better at manipulating weather than Storm. No one is better at ice powers than Iceman. Etc.

This does get a little weird when we consider Jean Grey and Quentin, who -- as far as I can tell? -- literally have the exact same powers, differentiated only by experience and a little bit by personality. Not sure how you would categorize that within this new definition; if both of them have the most powerful telepathy, then technically neither of them have the most powerful telepathy. :sweatdrop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The better trained/more experienced one would win. Not having an upper limit doesn't mean you can use it well. Iceman notoriously was an omega mutant, but didn't do much with his powers beyond making ice bridges and freezing guns until Emma possessed him.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Here's the page that defines Omega Mutants in Hickman's run:

I have no idea what "deemed to register-- or reach-- an undefinable upper limit of that power's specific classification" mean. I don't think it makes sense! YOU'VE SAID IT'S UNDEFINABLE!

Let's stick with Exodus- if I had to say what an undefinable upper limit meant, I'd guess he's the strongest telekinetic we've ever found. So if there's a stronger telekinetic (Exodus can move the planet he's on, Arrakokinetic can move Pluto into the Sun) that means Exodus loses his Omega class? That seems right to me. If a human can make a machine that can induce magnetism across a longer distance than Magneto can- or can affect a smaller particle than he can?- that makes Magneto non-Omega (but it says Magneto's power can't be surpassed?!?!).

But then, surely there can't be TWO Omega Telepaths- Quentin Quire and Jean Gray! Never loving mind the Reality Manipulators....

And also, it says Magneto's powers can't be surpassed! That means he can strengthen the magnetic field infinitely and cause the entire Universe to crash into itsself! Right? Or Exodus can move anything?

Frankly, the only one on the list that is absolutely an Omega mutant is Iceman. There's no lower temperature. So we're cool there.

It feels like Hickman should have already really sorted this out, so I must be an idiot.

This is very much a minor gripe, continuity wank thing, so feel free to ignore this post if you don't care rather than telling me it's a comic :(

e: If I were to answer this post, I'd say strongest thing he's seen so far is the answer. Reality manipulators is still nonsense, but the rest of it is reasonable. You just assume that QQ and Jean are equal telepaths. Nevermind that Jean had to be boosted to reach earth in HoxPoX....

Quotey fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 17, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

They aren't all Omega level, I think most of them just have that "good at killing things" mutant power non Omega mutants from the 90's used to have. It's an island of mostly Bishops and Shatterstars.

Yeah I rechecked and you're right, only their ruling council is entirely Omegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Maduo posted:

I thought this too at first, but considering earth just got invaded by aliens twice in what seems to be a month's span, maybe having an army of warhardened mutants as the gatekeepers to the solar system isn't a terrible idea.

Yeah, Storm's got a good point about how having this planet of mutants in the way of aliens who want to mess with Earth could be a good thing. If I were a regular person living in 616 I'd be a big fan of this. It seems like it should be getting harder and harder to hate mutants when they're handing out miracle cures, improving the space defenses, and presumably getting into high-profile superheroics Avengers-style in the X-men relaunch. Them claiming to be lords of the solar system isn't ideal, but hey for now that's just words on paper and wouldn't bother me much.

The main things I'd like to see in the coming x-men arcs are a general sense of mutant acceptance from both some of the governments and the general populace and the enhanced Arakko/Mars defenses straight-up trouncing an attempted alien attack (the Brood have been brought up recently, that seems like a simple way to go there).

Inevitably this Krakoa stuff has to end eventually, but I think now is a good time to start really establishing mutants as being in the middle of the Golden age of this nascent civilization. Toss me a scene with Orchis complaining that they're losing funding/backers after the X-men save the world, show me how this generally good public image approach is starting to bear fruit in various ways, and then eventually that can develop into something that'll put Genosha to shame as basically every force in comics (Avengers included) turns against the X-men and mutantkind and tears it all down someday, ideally with basically one central villain behind that since that seems like the way to take a new or less-established villain and turn them into a Dr. Doom level big deal in a short period of time. Ultimate universe Reed comes to mind as one potential person to be behind that, but I think it's even more interesting to have a completely new character pull something like that off. Marvel comics is certainly not short of characters, of course, but you do need to keep creating fun new ones (I think Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales stand out as great relatively recent additions, for example) and I think we're due to see a new original megavillian.