Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Got some cherry to smoke up a couple salmon fillets tomorrow. Pretty excited. Reading up on the science of the pellicle now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I spatchcocked a chicken this afternoon. Dry brining it until tomorrow when I’ll add Cajun rub and smoke it for dinner.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I went a little heavy on the salt with this one, but it was still very good. Pecan chunks and Cowboy lump.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Got some cherry to smoke up a couple salmon fillets tomorrow. Pretty excited. Reading up on the science of the pellicle now.

This loving ruled.

It cooked crazy fast -- like 30 minutes, But turned out great. Next time I might hit them with maple syrup or brown sugar.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

This loving ruled.

It cooked crazy fast -- like 30 minutes, But turned out great. Next time I might hit them with maple syrup or brown sugar.

I feel like I absorbed a random tidbit somewhere that smoking fish can turn a hot smoker nasty or add a fishy smell to future smokes? Not true?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I feel like I absorbed a random tidbit somewhere that smoking fish can turn a hot smoker nasty or add a fishy smell to future smokes? Not true?

Na not that ive seen. I used to work at a butcher shop and we'd smoke trout at least once a week. The rest of the time we smoked sausages and jerky. Id occassionally taste test (best part) for quality and never noticed any fish flavor. Just keep your equipment clean.

Slightly related sidenote: cast iron skillets will carry over a little fish oil unless you use just a little soap after cooking fish. To some, using any soap on a cast iron equates to an act of terrorism. I aint here to start that arguement, but if you use cast iron, maybe get a spare just for fish. I know thats not what you're askin, but i love giving advice no one asked for. Its a character flaw.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

This loving ruled.

As I understand it the white stuff you're seeing is an oil called albumin and when you cook the fish too quickly the flesh contracts and squeezes it out of the flesh. The oil makes the salmon moist and unctuous, you may want to consider lowering your temp a bit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK recommends salting and then letting it stand for 15 min first to cut way down on the external protein. Works well but I've only tried it for pan-seared, not hot smoked. https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a52904/white-stuff-cooked-salmon-albumin/

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

As I understand it the white stuff you're seeing is an oil called albumin and when you cook the fish too quickly the flesh contracts and squeezes it out of the flesh. The oil makes the salmon moist and unctuous, you may want to consider lowering your temp a bit.

I never even made it to my target cook temperature of 225 before they were done, so it definitely wasn't temp. The boogery looking one on the right was just the one I had the probe in. They were otherwise light on the albumin. I wet-brined and let them develop a pellicle so they were mostly intact.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I bet it's true if you smoke a lot of it. It would have to get baked into the seasoning at some point.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've smoked salmon in my kettle and never noticed any fishy smell. I expect that as long as you aren't dripping melted fish fat everywhere the residue will be minimal.

I always put my salmon on a cedar plank out of habit (don't think it does a drat thing) even though I usually smoke with oak so I expect that's protecting the floor of my kettle.

My best results have been with very low heat in the 200-225 range. Even then it only takes 20-30 minutes.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Na not that ive seen. I used to work at a butcher shop and we'd smoke trout at least once a week. The rest of the time we smoked sausages and jerky. Id occassionally taste test (best part) for quality and never noticed any fish flavor. Just keep your equipment clean.

Slightly related sidenote: cast iron skillets will carry over a little fish oil unless you use just a little soap after cooking fish. To some, using any soap on a cast iron equates to an act of terrorism. I aint here to start that arguement, but if you use cast iron, maybe get a spare just for fish. I know thats not what you're askin, but i love giving advice no one asked for. Its a character flaw.

For the longest time I never let dish soap touch my cast iron. Then maybe the last year I started using a tiny drop of soap to clean it and scrub using zero pressure. Then I oil and heat it as I normally would. The seasoning has not been negatively impacted, and I would say it actually looks and cooks better overall.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

For the longest time I never let dish soap touch my cast iron. Then maybe the last year I started using a tiny drop of soap to clean it and scrub using zero pressure. Then I oil and heat it as I normally would. The seasoning has not been negatively impacted, and I would say it actually looks and cooks better overall.

That's what I do, if you cast iron is seasoned well a little soap isn't going to hurt it, unless you let it sit in there for an extended period of time. If I need to "soak" mine, I make a baking soda paste. Honestly I've done more damage to my cast iron with tomato sauce than I have with soap.

RE: fish, I've never noticed a fishy smell in my smokers or grill, but if I'm doing salmon or trout, I try to wrap my racks with foil, mostly to make clean up easier, but I figure it might minimize the chance of fish juice getting somewhere I don't want it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wash your cast iron with soap you filthy monsters. It won't hurt it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've posted before that I use soap on all my cast iron every time I clean them. I have 2 pans and 3 pots.

It's never damaged my seasoning.

I do always hand dry and rub in a light coat of oil after each use to prevent rusting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

I've posted before that I use soap on all my cast iron every time I clean them. I have 2 pans and 3 pots.

It's never damaged my seasoning.

I do always hand dry and rub in a light coat of oil after each use to prevent rusting.

Yeah my method is always hot water in the pan while it's still scorching hot to loosen up any fond and get rid of most of the mess, then quick scrub with soap, use scotch pad if need be, then back on heat to dry. Once dry, quick wipe with oil.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I sanitize my pan with the fires of hell.

Also I scrub my pans with a blue (plastic based) scrubbing pad which never seems to damage the nonstick.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you really need to get medieval on cast iron, kosher salt and a paper towel is pretty decent.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kosher salt and half a potato to scrub it it.

Me, I just scrub with a drop of soap, scrape as needed, then oil and heat up on a burner. Once it starts smoking, I put it upside-down in the oven and let it cool.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

MrYenko posted:

If you really need to get medieval on cast iron, kosher salt and a paper towel is pretty decent.

I did it like this for a loooong time. But I decided my cast iron can have a little soap as a treat.

Also, I totally agree that cooking tomatoes or other acidic foods are way worse for the seasoning that the occasional drop of soap.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

thanks for the clearing up the fish facts, friends

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

qutius posted:

I remembered the Stout Pepper Beef, I made the Stout Pepper Beef:

Time to start putting over direct heat to thicken the sauce, made for an incredible sandwhich for dinner:

That looks fantastic. I need to try that and the Dr Pepper jalapeno pork burnt ends recipe I've been putting off.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tell me more about this Dr Pepper Pork.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

toplitzin posted:

Tell me more about this Dr Pepper Pork.

Basically going to try a version of this pork burnt ends recipe with Dr Pepper, jalapeños and Serrano peppers. The goal is a Texas centric recipe for spicy sweet pork tacos. I've done similar but want to develop this as a party recipe along with some other things for when I host.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not directly smoking related but my lazy pulled pork recipe also involves dumping a bunch of soda in a slow cooker as well.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yup, a properly seasoned cast iron is not impacted by soap. Only the non polymerized oil is.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Cast iron chat derail: I don’t usually use soap, but I do the hot, sizzling pan under hot water trick the Teflon nonstick manufacturers hate, then wad up a sheet of aluminum foil to scrape off any stuck-on bits. Then it’s a light coat of oil after it dries on the low simmer burner for a couple minutes.

Fish chat: we do salmon a gently caress ton in this house though I’ve only ever smoked it once and it didn’t taste that smoky. That said, when we do it, it’s either blackened, or I use some thyme and lemon slices. But before any of that I dry-cure it for a few minutes with 1:4 of sugar and salt, then wash it off a’ la ChefSteps. Lots less albumin.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Also holy gently caress with this thing. It’s just the flat. This fucker better cure cancer and bring about world peace. I’m sure it’s good but like, poo poo

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Got the WSM going for the first time in way too long, hoping to bust this thing out more over the next few months!

This is the first run with the WSM + Fireboard + Pit Viper set up. Can tell I need to cut down on the usual air leaks, but won't be stressing about the cook much. The shoulders needed to get cooked, and I want to see how this whole rig works with the fan involved.

The set point is 250, it is currently up at 258. Love being able to head to bed without much worry on what is mostly just a test run anyways.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

qutius posted:

Can tell I need to cut down on the usual air leaks

Yeah, adding a gasket kit and a Cajun Bandit door with the better latch helps a ton.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Wife is away at my sister’s bachelorette party this weekend, and was looking forward to just chilling, getting drunk, and maybe doing some shrooms with the house to myself. But my future brother-in-law is having some guys over and asked me if I wanted to join and smoke some meat. ...I should probably go and not be a weird hermit all weekend.

I’ll try and fit three racks of ribs on my 14 inch smoker. Everyone gets a half rack. That’s pretty reasonable I think. That’ll be the most ribs I’ve ever fit on that little smoker at once, so I’m prepared to burn through a lot of fuel during the cook. Going to give myself plenty of extra time to make sure they are done and good to go. Will see what bumps in the road I hit along the way :thumbsup:

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Wife is away at my sister’s bachelorette party this weekend, and was looking forward to just chilling, getting drunk, and maybe doing some shrooms with the house to myself. But my future brother-in-law is having some guys over and asked me if I wanted to join and smoke some meat. ...I should probably go and not be a weird hermit all weekend.

I’ll try and fit three racks of ribs on my 14 inch smoker. Everyone gets a half rack. That’s pretty reasonable I think. That’ll be the most ribs I’ve ever fit on that little smoker at once, so I’m prepared to burn through a lot of fuel during the cook. Going to give myself plenty of extra time to make sure they are done and good to go. Will see what bumps in the road I hit along the way :thumbsup:

You should stay home and do shrooms homie.

Edit: smoke some ribs on the comedown.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

You should stay home and do shrooms homie.

Edit: smoke some ribs on the comedown.

Yeah, this. Or start your ribs right after you take the shrooms. 5 to 6 hour smoke and those shrooms will likely be overwith.

Oh the possibilities.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

If you coil them, I bet you could get four racks in there.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

For some reason I get really weird with food whenever hallucinogens are involved. It’s like the only time when I don’t have an appetite.

I’m sure I’ll find some time for both this weekend at some point.

Never tried coiling ribs before. Will check into it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

So I got three racks of ribs in the 14 inch bullet. Very tight fit. What I did to save some space was take a few wood chunks and drape racks over them so they got a little height to them. Seems to be working.

I think what’s going to drive me crazy today is fuel management. A lot of meat in a small smoker is going to go through a lot of charcoal. I’ve got all the vents totally open and I seem to be holding at 233.

Haven’t eaten the shrooms. Maybe later tonight.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 19, 2021

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I bought a much nicer used offset smoker toward the end of last summer but since I couldn’t have bbqs due to Covid I never really got to use it. Today I will christen it with some pork butt.

I am trying out cutting the butts in half to reduce cook time. We’ll see how it goes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see why not, more surface area for bark too. Pork is a great meat to break in a smoker too. Lots of fat to coat the grates and interior in.

I just broke in a 22" kettle for a friend and just slathered it in oil and brought it up to 400. The next day we did a couple of St Louis ribs. Took them off at 6 hours after they passed the bend test. Hopefully that's the start to a very long and delicious tenure.

Side question, does anyone dry brine ribs beforehand? I usually just put mustard and Memphis dust on them.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 19, 2021

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

um excuse me posted:

Side question, does anyone dry brine ribs beforehand? I usually just put mustard and Memphis dust on them.

Not really a dry brine, but if I have time, I slather with mustard, put the rub on, wrap and put in the fridge the night before. The next day I'll take off the wrap about 30m before putting them on the smoker and add another a light layer of rub. I'm not sure if this is the best approach but it has always worked well for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Went excavating in the chest freezer, so I'm gonna try smoking some very old and very frozen chicken leg quarters today. Doing a quick sous vide thaw, then a rub and quick pan sear before tossing on the smoker at 250 until they're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Enos Cabell posted:

Doing a quick sous vide thaw

How's that? I would either sous vide them all the way (before smoking), or thaw them in the fridge.