Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
Either United Nations is the name of the probably-imminent federation - in which case the current UN needs a name change.
Or
It remains the UN and the federation is named something different. Possibly just The Federation or something along those lines, and try to supplant New America's use of the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, I see the issue now. Trademark law.

Please! Please stop hissing, I'm not done. We're all clever people here, I'm sure we can figure something out to preserve our equity while not falling afoul of The Lawyers.

If by some chance we do form a larger conglomerate in the near future, how about the Federated United Nations? We are UN, but we are also FUN?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Crisis Now posted:

Either United Nations is the name of the probably-imminent federation - in which case the current UN needs a name change.
Or
It remains the UN and the federation is named something different. Possibly just The Federation or something along those lines, and try to supplant New America's use of the name.

Precisely. The United Nations is a supra-corporate, supra-nation state entity. Naturally, the name should go to the confederation of entities we lead. Given that we are decidedly NOT going back to the Bad Old Days of nationalism, CHUD is a natural and correct name for our sub-federated form. We can, further, retain our long and glorious regalia, there is no reason why CHUDS cannot wear blue helmets.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Well we would be a federation of planets. Maybe a United Federation of Planets?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Focus groups show that customers have strong attachments to political brands like "democracy", "liberty" and "freedom". Maybe we could use that? Also the closest thing to "nations" we have nowadays is planets that manage some of their own affairs independently.

Something like Democratic Order Of Planets (doop)?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I admit that it took me longer than it should’ve to realize that Congo was an Amazon reference…

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Same. And I wouldn't have figured out that Superior Corporation was the Hudson Bay Company without the blurb about each security council member's history a little while back.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GhostStalker posted:

I admit that it took me longer than it should’ve to realize that Congo was an Amazon reference…

My barrier to realizing this was the fact that it's totally plausible that the nation of Congo became some kind of corporation.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

GunnerJ posted:

My barrier to realizing this was the fact that it's totally plausible that the nation of Congo became some kind of corporation.

Same, I thought it was some sort of weird mining conglomorate at first

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Same, I thought it was some sort of weird mining conglomorate at first

Probably because the Congo is where coltan is mined from

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

We gotta take this seriously you guys, if we cannot reach an agreement all the good names will get taken and we will be stuck with the Confederated United Nations of Terra and nobody wants that!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It probably would've been less confusing if it was a river that wasn't also the name of a country like Nile or Yangtse or Volga

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NOAMCHOMSKI (Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sebmojo posted:

NOAMCHOMSKI (Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative)

CHOAM NOMSKI

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

no, you want Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Abba Minnehaha Neutralis Organizational Mercantile Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative , their offices are down the hall on the left.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sebmojo posted:

no, you want Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Abba Minnehaha Neutralis Organizational Mercantile Shostakovich Kategorial Imperative , their offices are down the hall on the left.

Kanly on your House!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Federated Exploratory and Retail ENterprises Galactic Initiative?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Focus groups show that customers have strong attachments to political brands like "democracy", "liberty" and "freedom". Maybe we could use that? Also the closest thing to "nations" we have nowadays is planets that manage some of their own affairs independently.

Something like Democratic Order Of Planets (doop)?

Only if we can rename one of our fleet leaders Zapp Brannigan. And if so a Captain Kif.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
I had completely forgotten trade leagues were a type of federation, and I can't not pick that considering the UN's background. So the name'll be 'Federal Partnership', or just "The Partnership" With the UN / Regulus / SovMech being the 'founding partners' with hopefully many more to time.

I feel like saying this now is necessary to stave off another page of name-chat :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well done on your victory.

I will say though that I personally find having so many open chokepoints to be a point of anxiety, I much prefer the game having hyperlane density as low as possible :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crisis Now posted:

I feel like saying this now is necessary to stave off another page of name-chat :v:

Never..

Federation of United Corporate Kleptocracies.
United Federation (keeping the United part can save at least 50% of costs related to rebranding and replacing current UN branding and livery).
United Merchants (having a similar letter to N means a possible further savings)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xelkelvos posted:

Never..

Federation of United Corporate Kleptocracies.
United Federation (keeping the United part can save at least 50% of costs related to rebranding and replacing current UN branding and livery).
United Merchants (having a similar letter to N means a possible further savings)

United Ngoatse

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Terran Alliance of Industry, Nations and Trade.

Afte rall, you're already bordering an rear end in a top hat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Crisis Now posted:

Us CHUD-S will never accept this!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We BUTTS will never allow us to be a TAINT or a CHUD-S!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If the branding is so important, why not double up?

United Nations of Earth (or Sol) and United Nations of the Galaxy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Crisis now, do you want a different tag on the thread?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Quoting across name chat to say I love this. So neighborly.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

sebmojo posted:

Crisis now, do you want a different tag on the thread?

Yes please, SciFi.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I just noticed that terraforming that world with the hostile bacteria that create the ominous fog removed the hostile bacteria, but the ominous fog remains... :spooky:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ghost germs

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If I hadn't already slammed :five: I would do it now.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

:perfect:

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

StillFullyTerrible posted:

I just noticed that terraforming that world with the hostile bacteria that create the ominous fog removed the hostile bacteria, but the ominous fog remains... :spooky:

Residual fog. Completely harmless.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Welcome to loving Omaha, hope you like miasma

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

sebmojo posted:

Welcome to loving Omaha, hope you like miasma

Relevant post even outside the game, tbh

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

It's a beautiful day for a spacer ship,
A beautiful day for a spacer--
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

It's a spacerly day for a beauty ship
A spacerly day for a beauty--
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

I have always want to know a spacer
Just like you!
I have always wanted to live in a galaxy--
With you!

So....
Let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Could you be mine, would you be mine,
Won't you be my spacer?
Won't you be?
Please won't you be?
My spacer!
Hello spacer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's such a good feeling
To know you're alive
It's such a happy feeling:
You managed to survive
And when you fly out ready to say,
"I think I'll find a snappy new way!"
It's such a good feeling,
A very good feeling,
The feeling you know,
That we'll meet again
In a new hyperlane
And I will have more
Songs and stories and lore.
And you'll have views
That you'll want to talk about
I will, too.

You always make each day such a special day. You know how! By just you being you. Only one person in the whole galaxy like you! That's you, yourself. I'll be back next time!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Now I really want to see their testimony before the UN Sub-Committee on Galactic Communications.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If anyone from Paradox is watching this thread, I really want Necroid Mr. Rogers to make it into the base game. They're adorable. How could you not write an event chain around them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stellaris LP: It's a beautiful day in the galactic neighborhood.