Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

astral posted:

You're looking for the field test mode (not an app).

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jippa posted:

Is there an app that relatively accurately shows you 3/4g signal strength and related info? I am new to this stuff and live in an area with bad coverage.

There was a site that had coverage maps for various carriers that was so granular it would show block by block differences. It was great for helping me figure out what I needed for work and home.

But I can’t remember the name and can’t find it now :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah, I found something called "rootmetrics" which worked quite well.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jippa posted:

Yeah, I found something called "rootmetrics" which worked quite well.

That’s it! It was very helpful and fun to play around with

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm trying to use the Public Storage app so that I can unlock the fence at my storage unit and I've hit a snag.

The app requires both Bluetooth and Location Services to be enabled. I've enabled Bluetooth for it but I cannot figure out how to enable Location Services.

When I look at the permission for Public Storage there's nothing for LS and when i explicitly look at the apps shown under LS privileges, the Public Storage app is nowhere to be found.

E: deleting and reinstalling resets the location services prompt that I blew through the first time. All fixed.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 7, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I feel like a granddad asking this. Where are the overcast app podcasts stored so I can copy them? I have tried files/downloads/iphone storage etc?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

I feel like a granddad asking this. Where are the overcast app podcasts stored so I can copy them? I have tried files/downloads/iphone storage etc?

They’re not accessible to other apps on the phone. What are you trying to do?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Jippa posted:

You can export them to OPML in settings. The share dialog will come up, and you can send it where you please.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

CygnusTM posted:

You can export them to OPML in settings. The share dialog will come up, and you can send it where you please.
I got the impression they meant the actual mp3s.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

fourwood posted:

I got the impression they meant the actual mp3s.

Yep. I guess someone not familiar with the “magic” of iOS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jippa posted:

This wouldn't work for getting all of the downloads out of the app, but if you just want one (or ideally a snippet) then Overcast has a "Share Clip" function.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cheers guys. I'll use itunes. I'm just new to having an iphone so I'm downloading every app in sight.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was definitely able to add photos to items (e.g. passports) in the past to 1Password. Did they remove that feature for non-subscribers? I’ve never paid for a subscription to them so it for sure used to be a regular feature.

If so, I may need to look into switching to another password vault app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

I was definitely able to add photos to items (e.g. passports) in the past to 1Password. Did they remove that feature for non-subscribers? I’ve never paid for a subscription to them so it for sure used to be a regular feature.

I'm a subscriber but it's under Edit -> Add New File for me

101 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 15, 2021

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Guess it’s a feature that was cut from previous one-off payment users to drive subscriptions :(

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got screwed by this last iOS update. Really more by Griffin, I had really liked their iTalk app and used it for years without knowing they had introduced a second version. They just stopped support for the earlier version without any notice and I lost years of recordings because the app won’t open.

Anyone know a way I might be able to extract the files? I’m assuming it’s impossible. I talked to Griffin support and they suggested I back them up using the app I can’t open :argh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bitwarden has this feature in the free tier. https://bitwarden.com/help/article/attachments/

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

tuyop posted:

Bitwarden has this feature in the free tier. https://bitwarden.com/help/article/attachments/

quote:

File Attachments are available for Premium users, including members of Paid Organizations (Families, Teams, or Enterprise).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Still a ton cheaper than 1Password's cheapest option, at least.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend any journaling apps? I’m down to make a one time payment for one but would prefer to avoid a monthly fee.

E: actually gently caress it, I’ll pay a subscription if it’s worth it.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 16, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’ve used DayOne for a few years and really like it. I forget what the annual cost on it is, $30~ I think, but the main difference between that and the free version is with the latter you can only upload one image per entry and some other little stuff like that, but the free version is still very good.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
1Password update - seems like you can add images without the subscription but it has to be done via the desktop app for some reason. Still, at least I can do that!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

1Password update - seems like you can add images without the subscription but it has to be done via the desktop app for some reason. Still, at least I can do that!

I mentioned it in the infosec thread in SH/HC, but 1PW7 is the end of the line for non-subscription use of 1Password.

1Password 8 will require a 1Password.com/.ca/.eu account to use, and will only support the hosted vaults, not iCloud/Dropbox/local vaults.

Something to keep in mind as you plan for the future.

They are offering a few deals to make switching a little more enticing though.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

I mentioned it in the infosec thread in SH/HC, but 1PW7 is the end of the line for non-subscription use of 1Password.

1Password 8 will require a 1Password.com/.ca/.eu account to use, and will only support the hosted vaults, not iCloud/Dropbox/local vaults.

this might get me to switch entirely to apple keychain. any reason I shouldn't?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jazz Marimba posted:

this might get me to switch entirely to apple keychain. any reason I shouldn't?

better portability of passwords.

It seems like Apple Keychain is a roach motel for passwords. Password management isn't an afterthought in 1Password.

Truthfully, I've seen a lot of the arguments against 1Password.com accounts and they kinda start to fall flat IMO when either you realize the limitations of the local vaults, or see what they're cross-shopping against in the cloud market.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Buff Hardback posted:

Hmm, that kinda sucks. Do you know if they're releasing it as a separate app or will I have to train myself out of just tapping "Update all" in the App Store? (Alternatively, yeah might be a good time to look into an alternative that's cheaper than their subscription)

Violator
May 15, 2003

How much is their subscription? Honestly feels like a piece of software that is mission critical, extremely polished/full features, secure, well made, and used many times a day might be worth the $5 a month or whatever it is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you have a few people in the household the 1pass family plan is great at $5 a mo. $3mo for individuals. I usually hate subscription poo poo but 1pass is worth it imo.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Violator posted:

How much is their subscription? Honestly feels like a piece of software that is mission critical, extremely polished/full features, secure, well made, and used many times a day might be worth the $5 a month or whatever it is.

$35.88 a year

their licensing trade in deal is either: 50% your sub for 3 years, or if you'd rather pay one time, 150 dollars worth of gift card for 99 dollars. (which gets you ~4 years of subscription for a bit less than paying for 3 years worth).

I think if I've done the math correctly, the 50% deal works out better overall

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Does anyone know if this new Google Workspace for everyone announcement will somehow let you use Gmail in Apple Mail with IMAP?

I vaguely remember when they took it away years ago people saying if you had some sort of Google business account you could still use IMAP

astral
Apr 26, 2004

101 posted:

Does anyone know if this new Google Workspace for everyone announcement will somehow let you use Gmail in Apple Mail with IMAP?

I vaguely remember when they took it away years ago people saying if you had some sort of Google business account you could still use IMAP

Doesn't look like you can use a custom domain with gmail without signing up for a free trial, so I'd guess not on the IMAP thing. That announcement is terribly written.

e: Wait, did they actually take IMAP access away at some point, or was this specifically an issue with Apple Mail? Though I didn't use it, I still have my settings for IMAP on the Gmail side.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

astral posted:

e: Wait, did they actually take IMAP access away at some point, or was this specifically an issue with Apple Mail? Though I didn't use it, I still have my settings for IMAP on the Gmail side.

Please don't tell me you've always been able to use IMAP with Gmail and I just somehow invented this problem in my head… :bang:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

101 posted:

Please don't tell me you've always been able to use IMAP with Gmail and I just somehow invented this problem in my head… :bang:

I think you’re thinking of not being able to use push for Gmail in Mail.app; IMAP has always worked, just on scheduled fetch.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kalman posted:

I think you’re thinking of not being able to use push for Gmail in Mail.app; IMAP has always worked, just on scheduled fetch.

Ah yes. That was it

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

$35.88 a year

their licensing trade in deal is either: 50% your sub for 3 years, or if you'd rather pay one time, 150 dollars worth of gift card for 99 dollars. (which gets you ~4 years of subscription for a bit less than paying for 3 years worth).

I think if I've done the math correctly, the 50% deal works out better overall

Have you got a link to this announcement/discussion? I hadn't seen anything about 1Password 8, and looking on their blog the only thing I can find is a post about an early-access version for Windows..

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Froist posted:

Have you got a link to this announcement/discussion? I hadn't seen anything about 1Password 8, and looking on their blog the only thing I can find is a post about an early-access version for Windows..

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917

Credit to the very same Buff Hardback, who posted it in the Infosec thread earlier.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Froist posted:

It’s definitely a somewhat slow and relatively unofficial announcement, but they have already started as licenses are no longer available for purchase as far as I’m aware.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have any idea why the Prime Video app keeps crashing? On both iPhone and iPad, both fully updated. On my iPad I can power the device off and on, then get the app to run once. But once i exit, tapping the icon just goes to the black initial screen, then it crashes. Tried uninstalling and re-installing it, no change.

Edit: and after about an hour of that, it started working normally again.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 24, 2021

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Anyone know if you can get some version of DOSBOX to work on iOS? Would it require jailbreak? I have an old iPad mini running 9.3.5 and was thinking that could be fun to get some more life out of it. I feel like a pissed off 80 year old whenever I try to do anything outside of install app/use app in iOS but I'm willing to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boozie posted:

Anyone know if you can get some version of DOSBOX to work on iOS? Would it require jailbreak? I have an old iPad mini running 9.3.5 and was thinking that could be fun to get some more life out of it. I feel like a pissed off 80 year old whenever I try to do anything outside of install app/use app in iOS but I'm willing to try.

I've never done it but if you jailbreak you can install retroarch (framework) and Dosbox Pure (emulator core) and it should work as expected.