Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not what I came here to post about but, what in the ever loving gently caress are all of these teenagers doing with guns? Do they live in homes where the parents say, "if you're going out, don't forget to take your gun". How the hell did the one kid shoot somebody days before and not get arrested for it.

What I wanted to say is, is there any way to stop Abbott from flushing $250 million down the toilet on his border wall fantasy. God forbid that money on something we actually need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I remember back when Trump was loving this up, there were organizations specifically buying border land in order to sue, presuming that land would be taken by ED. There's a zero percent chance that there will be an intact wall for any significant stretch of the border.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, this is all Trump fellating so he doesn't decide on a whim to back Sid MIller.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1405283096266567683

Lol, speculation from loving morons

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 16, 2021

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Yeah, this is all Trump fellating so he doesn't decide on a whim to back Sid MIller.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1405283096266567683

Lol, speculation from loving morons

A real danger with this bill is that it may lead to more police shootings. There is absolutely no situation that police role up on where they are not already afraid that someone might have a gun, now, that paranoia is going to be magnified.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Probably because they a) know a few assholes who can sell land for this stunt and b) know fully well that ED orders will be fought in court until the heat death of the universe.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
megaton
https://twitter.com/979thebeat/status/1404957079866167299?s=20

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1405174458822836228

Couple of high school kids from Killeen. One of whom is about to spend 30 years in prison.

gently caress killeen, worst city

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/DomDiFurio/status/1404928332198711307?s=20

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
nice try but there's no way you are that swole

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

radical meme posted:

It's not what I came here to post about but, what in the ever loving gently caress are all of these teenagers doing with guns? Do they live in homes where the parents say, "if you're going out, don't forget to take your gun". How the hell did the one kid shoot somebody days before and not get arrested for it.

What I wanted to say is, is there any way to stop Abbott from flushing $250 million down the toilet on his border wall fantasy. God forbid that money on something we actually need.

Killeen is a pretty hosed up place. See:

Almost $10K worth of equipment stolen from Killeen teen center

quote:

KILLEEN, Texas — It hasn’t been an easy road to opening the doors at the Impossible Teen Center in Killeen. After a grand opening earlier this year things were looking up, but now there has been another setback.

After weeks of rain Vantonio Fraley, owner of the Impossible Teen Center, decided it was time to cut his grass. He came to the center early Sunday morning and dropped off his equipment, but within a few hours, it was stolen.

“We're a free program and we're trying to do things for our community and take from us it's kinda it's a little disheartening. I went home to take a shower and everything. I looked at my camera and it was gone. It just happened so fast," Fraley said.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1405275097703714817?s=21

Border wall coming out of the prison system. I'm sure that they will raid something else like schools or hospitals to make up the difference.

e:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

building the wall by stacking unused AC units

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s a spicy and beautiful and probably correct projection into our future ugh

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dameius posted:

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1405275097703714817?s=21

Border wall coming out of the prison system. I'm sure that they will raid something else like schools or hospitals to make up the difference.

Abbott wants to pick a fight with the private prison lobby?!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
edit:
never mind, just read it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
#2, #3, and #8 should be actual law imo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Immortal lock that the $250 million coming out of the prison system is from the food budget. Nutraloaf for all!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

Immortal lock that the $250 million coming out of the prison system is from the food budget. Nutraloaf for all!

Nutraloaf was at their current funding levels. They gonna get expired Vitapaste after this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is coming out of the '23 budget, so we'll see how much if any gets spent. Right now it's all imaginary money.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Supreme Court ruled against Texas in trying to dismantle the ACA.

Suck it Get arrested, Ken Paxton.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Saw this in a Tesla thread just now: it seems SpaceX has decided to carve out their own corporate fiefdom and annex some public roads down in Cameron County, to the chagrin of the county DA:
https://twitter.com/RudyMTweets/status/1404951197207965703?s=20

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Supreme Court ruled against Texas in trying to dismantle the ACA.

Suck it Get arrested, Ken Paxton.

Here's the details https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-spares-obamacare-gop-challenge-n1271140

NBC News posted:

June 17, 2021, 9:11 AM CDT / Updated June 17, 2021, 9:51 AM CDT
By Pete Williams
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, remains valid, rejecting a claim by a group of conservative states that a recent change to the law made it unconstitutional.

By a 7-2 vote, the court said the challengers did not have legal standing to sue because they did not make a strong enough showing that the law harmed them. But the decision also suggested it would be difficult for any challengers to try again on the same legal theory.

Two of President Donald Trump's three appointees to the court, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett, joined the majority opinion, while the third, Neil Gorsuch, dissented.

In their dissent, Justices Samuel Alito and Gorsuch said the court should have taken the case and declared it unconstitutional.

The law's challengers, 18 red states led by Texas, urged the court to rule that Obamacare's requirement for nearly all Americans to obtain health insurance or pay an income tax penalty — known as the individual mandate — is unconstitutional. For that reason, they said, the entire law must be scrapped.

"The plaintiffs claim that without the penalty the act’s minimum essential coverage requirement is unconstitutional," Breyer wrote for the court's majority, adding, "They also argue that the minimum essential coverage requirement is not severable from the rest of the act," meaning the entire law is invalid.

"We do not reach these questions of the act’s validity, however, for Texas and the other plaintiffs in this suit lack the standing necessary to raise them," he wrote.

Republicans have long opposed the law, former President Barack Obama's signature legislation. But more than 20 million Americans now depend on it for their health insurance, and there is broad public support for its requirement that insurance companies must cover pre-existing health conditions.

The Supreme Court first upheld the health care law in 2012. The majority opinion written by Roberts said the individual was a legitimate exercise of Congress's taxing authority. But in 2017, the Republican-led Congress set the tax penalty at zero.

That led the red states to argue that because the tax was effectively eliminated, the revised law could not be saved as a tax and was therefore an unconstitutional effort to require all Americans to obtain something. A federal judge in Texas agreed, and the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans upheld that ruling.

But 20 blue states, led by California, asked the Supreme Court to overturn those lower court decisions. They said with the tax penalty at zero, there effectively is no individual mandate, so the law is not unconstitutional. It may encourage Americans to buy insurance, but it does not require anyone to do anything, they said.

The Supreme Court's newest member, Barrett, was considered a possible vote in agreement with the red states about the constitutionality of the mandate. In a 2017 law review article, she said the Roberts opinion "pushed the Affordable Care Act beyond its plausible meaning to save the statue."

But Barrett joined the court's majority Thursday in rejecting the challenge.

The red states said Congress meant the health care law to work as an integrated whole. Prohibiting insurers from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions and allowing young people to stay longer on the policies of their parents were meant to work because of the near-universal command to buy insurance. Without the mandate, the challengers said, the law falls apart.

But the blue states said the test for deciding whether the rest of a law can be saved if part of it is struck down is a simple one: What did Congress want? They said the answer is found in the 2017 action that set the tax at zero: Congress left the rest of the law intact.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

So the DA warned them about it before, but he's only warning them again about it now? Arrest the fuckers. Let *that* be the headline.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'd be more in favor of waiting until SpaceX has something big, heavy, and expensive on the other side of the road then drop a Jersey barrier fence along the side of the road.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao at elon eminent domaining public property

https://mobile.twitter.com/limroid/status/1404950984162385928

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

Saw this in a Tesla thread just now: it seems SpaceX has decided to carve out their own corporate fiefdom and annex some public roads down in Cameron County, to the chagrin of the county DA:

They've been slowly doing this ever since Musk helped grease the wheels to get LNG storage at the Port of Brownsville. gently caress him and his dumbass for putting a "spaceport" in a wildlife refuge and in a location that sees REGULAR occurances of hurricanes and tropical storms.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Blotto_Otter posted:

musk knows the public officials will never stand up to him

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This thread is all very upsetting:

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1405545826479394823?s=20

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SpaceX is a private business and should be subject to all the needs for public approval and constraints of the law that private businesses are supposed to be constrained by. None of this "bow and scrape to corporations because they are the Great Men who create the future" poo poo.

Dameius posted:

Nutraloaf was at their current funding levels. They gonna get expired Vitapaste after this.

Nutraloaf isn't actually any cheaper than real food. It's purposefully removing the aesthetic appeal of eating food as a punishment by taking all the real foods that they otherwise could serve in cafeteria and mushing them together into a disgusting blob. It's kind of an impressively creative form of sadism in an already sadistic industry.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

I loving love that this case was called California v. Texas.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1405572607668330497

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

greg abbott is not going to win a single primary if he runs

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If the man gets up and runs he’ll have the Pat Robertson moral majority vote.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

If the man gets up and runs he’ll have the Pat Robertson moral majority vote.

If he gets up and runs he'll fall on his face and break his tail bone.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

musk knows the public officials will never stand up to him

Yep, that's exactly how that's going to go.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Who is the Abbott voter in Iowa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Same as the Ted Cruz voters, Alamosexuals