Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Megazver posted:

How do people here feel about doing some kind of a TTRPG equivalent of the Creative Convention's Thunderdome? An Adventuredome, if you will?

For those unfamiliar with TD and hates clicking links, it's a weekly flash fiction contest where a Judge or Judges (usually the last week's winner and one or two thread regulars) issue some kind of a prompt ('limericks about capitalism!', 'superheroes with rock band inspired superpowers!', 'stories that actually have some kind of rudimentary characterization!' and other wacky stuff like that), specify any restrictions like story length, give out personal sub-prompts for anyone who asks for one, and at the end of the week after the deadline, a winner is chosen from the stories that actually got written and posted, the Judges give the entries some crits and the winner becomes this week's Judge and picks a new prompt.

A couple of weeks ago TD did a week where you had to create a short D&D-ish dungeon/adventure/hex, inviting people from this forum over to the thread, and it seems to have been quite popular, which led me to think that people here might enjoy this sort of thing on a regular basis. What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think it would be fun, at least for a few rounds. If I were to set this whole thing up by myself, I'd probably make it a triweekly thing, to give everyone a bit more time to make it good - one week to brainstorm, one week to write it up, one week to playtest it (and then frantically rewrite it from scratch while sobbing from terror). As for what a good entry would look like, I was thinking aiming at something One Page Dungeon or Trilemma Adventures-sized for D&D-ish content (but, obviously, not as polished) or for something like the short adventures in Fear's Sharp Little Needles for CoC for more investigative or social scenarios - 2k-3k words and a simple map of some kind, if necessary. The judge would specify what system/genre they want the entries to be for that given week.

Agreed. I really enjoyed that TD prompt. Would be interested in a regular adventure contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just did my first game jam and I'm addicted so sign me the gently caress up

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I recently finished a game design contest, I'd be interested.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, so I have a question. If I'm making a sort of template that can be applied to an enemy statblock to modify that enemy, which is better?

A) Have one template that covers multiple levels. E.g. one ability might say "On a hit, slide the target 2 squares. (4 squares at level 4.)"

Or

B) Have 3 or 4 separate versions of the template, one for each relevant level. E.g. the level 1-3 version says "On a hit, slide the target 2 squares." and the level 4-7 version says "On a hit, slide the target 4 squares."

Same question for full enemy statblocks - have one statblock that contains powers usable only above level 4? Or have multiple statblocks with much repetition?

Having multiple statblocks increases the page count of that section rather significantly. But does the ease of use make up for that?

Obviously the best solution is to have an online monster builder that outputs pdfs, but that's beyond my talents and current budget.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, so I have a question. If I'm making a sort of template that can be applied to an enemy statblock to modify that enemy, which is better?

A) Have one template that covers multiple levels. E.g. one ability might say "On a hit, slide the target 2 squares. (4 squares at level 4.)"

Or

B) Have 3 or 4 separate versions of the template, one for each relevant level. E.g. the level 1-3 version says "On a hit, slide the target 2 squares." and the level 4-7 version says "On a hit, slide the target 4 squares."

Same question for full enemy statblocks - have one statblock that contains powers usable only above level 4? Or have multiple statblocks with much repetition?

Having multiple statblocks increases the page count of that section rather significantly. But does the ease of use make up for that?

Obviously the best solution is to have an online monster builder that outputs pdfs, but that's beyond my talents and current budget.

Combining entries in a template is fine, like your example A.

But when you have full enemy stat blocks, they're much easier to use in play with full ones instead of having to cross-reference, even if that means repetition.

e: the exception would be if you have a universal monster glossary or rules section for all monsters that everything references, that might cut down on your page count while still being readable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jimbozig posted:

Or

I think if you're making full statblocks, having the full statblock at each tier (or whatever) is better because then I'm not rereading the same drat line a hundred times mid-combat to find which power this monster has at this level or what said power does.

For templates, I think having one chunk that covers multiple levels is fine because you are likely typing up your own creature+template statblock between sessions anyways, so having people read through each line to find the applicable chunk is fine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'm generally in favour of option B - full statblocks for each type of the monster, with lots of repetition. It's a PDF document after all, page count's not that big of a deal, while having a statblock you can just print off unmodified that contains everything you need to run the monster is.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Or

Why not both?

If I am a GM using a monster statblock in play I don't want to have to do any more calculations than the bare minimum. Indeed I consider statblocks where I have to look things up or to do more than basic tracking to be incomplete and to be a sign of a designer who doesn't care that much about play experience. So all the example monsters should have everything calculated.

But between sessions if I'm using a template to modify a statblock I can use simple formulae and they show me how things fit together; I have the time without five (or whatever) players having to wait for me and I'm only focusing on one character at a time not two entire forces. And if I'm using a template on the fly in play that's on me and I've already crossed the no lookups/modifications in play barrier and I know what level they are. The modifying template can therefore show some tweaks that way, but the examples of templated monsters should not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm generally in favour of option B - full statblocks for each type of the monster, with lots of repetition. It's a PDF document after all, page count's not that big of a deal, while having a statblock you can just print off unmodified that contains everything you need to run the monster is.

Layout artists aren't free, yo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Create an app to generate individual printable instances from the template.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Create an app to generate individual printable instances from the template.

Unless my budget ends up being way higher than it is now, this is not really possible. But yeah, absolutely this would be ideal.

And yeah, "both" is maybe possible. I could put the condensed version in the main book but then have a separate PDF designed for printing out that has the multiple split up versions.

That wouldn't be free, since it is more layout work, but it wouldn't be that much since it would be pretty simple and minimalist layout to make it optimal for printing or referencing in play.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Jimbozig posted:

Unless my budget ends up being way higher than it is now, this is not really possible. But yeah, absolutely this would be ideal.

I mean, you don't have to come out of the gate with Comp/Con -- you can just bang together an Excel sheet or Google sheet that does the calculations for you and pretty it up as best you can.

(If you want to see a really nice example, grab a copy of Cage of Sand by Luciella Scarlet.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I forget which thread had more Marvel RPG conversation, but it's a 3d6 system and the playtest costs $10.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Feels bad to have hit the RPG burnout point. Would not recommend joining me here to anyone on a similar path.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

SkyeAuroline posted:

Feels bad to have hit the RPG burnout point. Would not recommend joining me here to anyone on a similar path.

It is a strange sensation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Meanwhile I’m finally getting back into RPGs after years of lacking a group thanks to solo focused rpgs

Ironsworn/Starforged are awesome.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Meanwhile I’m finally getting back into RPGs after years of lacking a group thanks to solo focused rpgs

Ironsworn/Starforged are awesome.

Funny you mention it, what prompted that realization is that I'm now on my fourth attempt at an Ironsworn campaign in the span of... 3 weeks or so? after burning out on each one in sequence trying to make them work, plus a Thousand Year Old Vampire thing that immediately hit a wall, and my regular Hard Wired Island game (as a player). If anything solo games have just let me realize the problem is me, I guess.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Take six months or a year off of the hobby. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, etc. Don't read RPGs, stay ignorant, pursue your other hobbies. Come back to the games with fresh eyes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah nothing wrong with taking a break.
I've got probably 1 more session running the Spire game I've got, partly because I'm getting GM burn out, and partly because players are going stir crazy and flaking a ton now that they can go outside, so it makes sense to end it while I still have their partial attention.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
What's a good system for WWII combat? I tend to use GURPS, but was wondering if there was another system better suited.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 21, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What's a good system for WWII combat? I tend to use GURPS, but was wondering if there was another system better suited.

Whenever I play a ranged-combat-heavy game I always miss the Shadowrun (4th ed) rules for ranged combat, where the shooter rolls an attack roll and gets hits, the defender rolls a defense roll and negates those hits. If the defender wins overall the attack misses, and if the attacker wins they get to do more damage if they won by a lot.

Lots of games just have "roll against target defense, if you hit do damage" which always feels too passive and "DM hands out damage" to me. When it comes to bullets it feels like the defender should have an active role in avoiding them.

Anyway, not suggesting you run WW2 combat in Shadowrun 4th, but if you're on the lookout for a good feeling WW2 system you might look for "attacker attacks -> defender defends -> damage is calculated" systems in general.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you're more into a cinematic type of WW2 combat than a simulation-style then something like WEG D6 system works really well for pew-pew combat. WEG Star Wars, OpenD6, Mini 6, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I mean it depends on what you're looking for; whether you squad and unit level combat rules, how realistic and deadly you want combat to be, and so on. I like ORE a lot, and Godlike has very deadly rules for stuff like artillery and mines.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

PATROL is designed for Vietnam-era combat, but it isn't too hard to dial the tech level back or forward a few decades, and it has a lot of optional rules and advice around that, too.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean it depends on what you're looking for; whether you squad and unit level combat rules, how realistic and deadly you want combat to be, and so on. I like ORE a lot, and Godlike has very deadly rules for stuff like artillery and mines.

I want a set of rules based around 5 man squads, including artillery and air strike rules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

PATROL is designed for Vietnam-era combat, but it isn't too hard to dial the tech level back or forward a few decades, and it has a lot of optional rules and advice around that, too.

PATROL specifically has DLC available for a WWI setting, just to underline the point that the game can be moved forwards or backwards in time.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I can never remember which of Patrol and Recon is the good one by Erika Chappell and which is the Palladium original.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hel posted:

I can never remember which of Patrol and Recon is the good one by Erika Chappell and which is the Palladium original.

Patrol is the good one by Erika Chappell

Recon is the old, not nearly as good one

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I never played SR4 but I admit I really liked SR3 for firefights. It's very modifier-heavy and that can be cumbersome until everyone develops fluency. It makes it feel realistic, though. I've never been in combat but in general, most things are very easy if things are calm and quiet and you have time to get it right, and rapidly become very difficult when you're on the clock and the light is bad and that gunfire you're hearing keeps getting closer.

On the other hand, depending on what kind of WWII game you want, a high-crunch system like that might utterly suck. Figure it takes 2-3 hours to get through one firefight, so if you want a game where you spend a lot of time in fights, awesome. If you want each session to feel like an episode of Band of Brothers, nope, SR3 is not gonna give it to you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I want a set of rules based around 5 man squads, including artillery and air strike rules.
Godlike does have rules for fire team combat and dealing with artillery and air strikes, but the latter are basically "Oh poo poo, big pile of dice gonna kill your rear end." I concur with the others that you might like a modified PATROL better.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My older neighbor gave me a copy of revised RECON when I was a kid. I loved reading it for mainly for the same reason those old Jane's Fighting Ships, etc, books make great bathroom reading. I reread it recently dreading that it would be problematic but other than some possibly-dodgy artwork it actually aged pretty well at least in terms of acknowledging the humanity of the Vietcong and the controversial nature of the entire war.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
if anyone else remembers late 80s 1p rpg book / choose your own adventure clone "lone wolf", an artist on an italian punk collective label has done a concept album based on it :staredog:

https://heimatderkatastrophe.bandcamp.com/album/hdk-60-lone-wolf-ep-1-flight-from-the-dark

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if anyone else remembers late 80s 1p rpg book / choose your own adventure clone "lone wolf", an artist on an italian punk collective label has done a concept album based on it :staredog:

https://heimatderkatastrophe.bandcamp.com/album/hdk-60-lone-wolf-ep-1-flight-from-the-dark

Most of that label's output is focused on a retro vibe of genre fiction and media, like for example one of their composers KOBOLD stylizes their albums after old TSR era D&D modules visually while the music itself is in the style of 8 & 16-bit music for CRPGs of the 80's

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've got four of the KOBOLD albums, they're good poo poo for what they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_RSi5qo2w

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That's pretty cool, I got into those books in the mid to late 90s and I know there were a few threads dedicated to lets plays of them on SA

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This is loving outstanding and I'm very happy you posted it. Thanks!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I have just joined Mycroft Holmes in his Fallout: New California Post Nuclear Political Simulation Game! I have never played a Political Simulation Game on the something awful dot com forums, and would appreciate advice on posting etiquette! How much RP is appropriate? Do we mimic a debate session or what?

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

Has anyone here ever played diplomacy? I suck at it because I get too emotional and I'm bad at lying, but my friends seem to enjoy curb-stomping me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

FacePox posted:

Has anyone here ever played diplomacy? I suck at it because I get too emotional and I'm bad at lying, but my friends seem to enjoy curb-stomping me.

Diplomacy is a great game. Despite its reputation, generally the players who tell the fewest lies do the best. It's very feasible to win a game without telling a single falsehood. It's much more about building relationships and trust and being good at convincing other players that their goals are aligned with yours than "let's ally, lol I stabbed you".

Also, reading the game board and the relationships in the room is vital. Always be revaluating the strategic situation on the board after every turn, sometimes a series of moves on the other side of the board that seemingly have nothing to do with you radically alters the best play for you. And be aware of who is talking to whom, which pairs of players seem tight and which are kind of just working together out if convenience, what's the body language like when two allies are conversing? You should always be talking to everyone as much as possible, including players you are directly fighting, because you need to keep lines of communication open in case you need to pivot down the line.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 19, 2021