Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack Trades posted:

Oregon Trail doesn't have metaprogression so it's not a real roguelike.

Were you able to type this post with a straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Evil Kit posted:

Were you able to type this post with a straight face.

I choose to think it's a riff on that one tweet about how roguelikes are action based and can't be turn based

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jack Trades posted:

Actually Oregon Trail's lack of platforming is what makes it not a real roguelike.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play posted:

I choose to think it's a riff on that one tweet about how roguelikes are action based and can't be turn based

Yes

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh I understand what the riff was, I was just impressed it was Jack Trades managing to type it out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It took some effort.

EDIT: There's Steam Fest going on right with a bunch of demos, some of interesting and some of them are baffling.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1226510/Trigon_Space_Story/
This thing is the most blatant carbon copy of FTL but with very pretty graphics. There are so few changes from FTL that it boggles the mind.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 16, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It took some effort.

EDIT: There's Steam Fest going on right with a bunch of demos, some of interesting and some of them are baffling.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1226510/Trigon_Space_Story/
This thing is the most blatant carbon copy of FTL but with very pretty graphics. There are so few changes from FTL that it boggles the mind.

This will probably work though, and make them money. Because even if it's a blatant copy it's a blatant copy of a game that people love and will probably love even more with excellent graphics

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Solvency posted:

A new space roguelite called Lilith Odyssey released their demo today on Steam and so far it's pretty wild. The basic idea is you take your randomly generated space family and have to navigate them to the promised land/planet of Lilith, all the while having to feed their faces and somehow keep the ship running. It's got some crazy features like a GTA style radio, planet exploration and building, and micromanagement of your characters life. My second play through I was a 72 year old Grandpa, transporting my wife and two grandchildren through the stars. There are also some interesting sliders you can micromanage, including masturbation frequency, which for that 72 year old grandpa was 2.8x a day and that was without me even touching the slider. :chanpop:

Eventually poor old grandpa kicked the bucket after starving to death while getting food for his family on a distant planet.

This is a crazy game and I'm going to have to mess with it a bit more before I decide to buy it, but so far it's pretty out there, and the demo seems to be pretty much the full game so it's probably worth your time just for the oddness of it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1450800/Lilith_Odyssey/

I gave this a shot. After a few frustrating minutes of following the tutorials instructions I had to go to the main menu and reload in to get my spaceship to leave the first planet. I then spent ten minutes doing nothing while flying to an ambiguous destination, which I ended up not being able to find after spending five minutes on top of the dot on the map.

This is just a bit dense. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, but I could hardly make hide nor hair of it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

we need thread subtitles

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This Roguelike Royale seems like an interesting idea. Dungeon with lots of people, if you die you turn into an enemy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1404500/Dungeon_Royale/

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Play posted:

What's the deal with this?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

What's the deal with this?

Someone posted a tweet from someone else, probably a young person, who seemed to have only played action roguelikes (which are a relatively new thing, all things considered). They essentially posited that a turn based game could not be a roguelike.

Despite, you know, ROGUE being a turn based game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, random twitter kid is confidently incorrect, some dev links it and much merriment is had over the dilution of the phrase's meaning.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Become As Dice

https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice/devlog/264401/slice-and-dice-launched

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jack Trades posted:

Reading this thread is bad for my health.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It needs multiplayer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

@Housemarque never played a rouge game before and I’m glad my first experience is #Returnal .. the game is kicking my rear end, but I love it. We’ll done guys 🙏🏼❤️

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
I just impulse bought Roguebook an hour before release and 10 minutes after seeing it played on a stream. I loved Slay the spire and it looked like a version of that.

Tell me why I made a big mistake!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GarudaPrime posted:

I just impulse bought Roguebook an hour before release and 10 minutes after seeing it played on a stream. I loved Slay the spire and it looked like a version of that.

Tell me why I made a big mistake!

Exploration is a bit hosed because some obstacles are hidden. You get to see all kinds of nice things that you want, but it's mainly random whether or not you can actually get to them.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's got a lot of charm and character and the combat is a hell of a lot of fun, so I won't say you wasted your money.

EDIT: You know, the OP really needs to be updated badly. A lot of the pictures are broken.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 17, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kchama posted:

It's got a lot of charm and character and the combat is a hell of a lot of fun, so I won't say you wasted your money.

EDIT: You know, the OP really needs to be updated badly. A lot of the pictures are broken.

It's been almost 8 years and over 1000 pages. We don't need a new OP, we need a new thread.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's been almost 8 years and over 1000 pages. We don't need a new OP, we need a new thread.

Yeah, you're right. But who is our victim this time?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Jedit posted:

What metaprogression bonuses does the new thread get?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

A LOVELY LAD posted:

What metaprogression bonuses does the new thread get?

Starts with an extra five pages of impenetrable in-jokes, providing strong protection against newcomers to the genre

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Starts with an extra five pages of impenetrable in-jokes, providing strong protection against newcomers to the genre

I think the current OP with Nethack, ADOM, etc already serves that purpose! :)

edit: visiting the OP, made me to see the Berlin interpretation wiki, this point made me roll my eyes:

quote:

Grid-based
"The world is represented by a uniform grid of tiles. Monsters (and the player) take up one tile, regardless of size. "

Because if someone makes a rogue-rear end roguelike, where a giant serpent occupies 3 tiles or a troll 4 tiles, it will suddenly not be a roguelike!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 17, 2021

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Regular posters get inscrutable red text with no context

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Magitek posted:

Regular posters get inscrutable red text with no context

YAP YAP YAP

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

these forums have newcomers???

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Can we just call them "roguevania" yet?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Kchama posted:

YAP YAP YAP

Roguelikes: Yet Another Post.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

victrix posted:

these forums have newcomers???

I'm more talking about the occasional thread immigrants we get from genre crossover. At some point in August someone is going to release a horny anime dating sim that is also a roguelike and, somehow, an automotive repair sim. A handful of curious newcomers will be lured away from their fellow likers of anime dating sims and/or auto repair sims, enticed to investigate our procedural death labyrinth thread. They will skim over eleven pages of incomprehensible metaprogression arguments, turn around, and leave. Yet Another Sensible Departure

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so I bought the Last Spell. The game is really good, but after playing it for a couple of dozen hours I've come to the conclusion that the game is actually quite easy. The impression of difficulty comes mostly from the fact that your first 2 or 3 runs are guaranteed to unceremoniously crater a few days in because the game has locked 80% of your options behind metaprogression unlocks. Once you've unlocked the ability to actually build defences and production buildings, all that remains is one or two trial runs to figure out which weapons types are the good ones(if you'd like to skip the effort the answer is: shortbows, longbows, and rifles), and then you're pretty much set. I've won 4 runs in a row now on increasingly severe apocalypse modifers and the only one that was difficult was the first one because I still had 2 guys trying to use melee weapons. You can reduce every run to a fairly formulaic setup: first couple of days are for clearing ruins and setting up gold and material generator buildings and house, then you upgrade them and put the Seer up, then you put up the Inn and fill out your roster, then you put up the equipment buildings so that your stuff doesn't suck. And for defences you just start with a basic wall, then you put up some ballistae, then you put up a couple of watchtowers, then you spam a million ballistae, and then you upgrade the wall and maybe throw in some warp gates. And then for the last like, 3 days you have an enormous material surplus so you do something stupid like put up a few hundred damage traps or an entire second row of ballistae.

The ability to build a hundred ballistae is really what makes the game easy. As far as I can tell you're supposed to have to strike a balance between heroes who can tear through the horde quickly and heroes who can pick off the big boys. But with loads of ballistae, you don't have to worry about the trash. So you just give everyone a weapon that's good for sniping the important ones and park them in watchtowers at the appropriate locations.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
I would ditch the longbows for hand crossbows, they're loving nuts once geared.

Last run I had a guy with +4 multi hit, and one cast of fire-chaining-bullshit would clear an entire wave, with any stragglers being mopped up by his basic attack hitting 6 times per cast.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

then you put up the Inn and fill out your roster

Wait, does the Inn let you go above 3 characters? I thought it was for replacing dead ones, so I never build it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Huge Manatee posted:

I would ditch the longbows for hand crossbows, they're loving nuts once geared.

Last run I had a guy with +4 multi hit, and one cast of fire-chaining-bullshit would clear an entire wave, with any stragglers being mopped up by his basic attack hitting 6 times per cast.

Hand crossbows are alright as a stop-gap for the early game but they don't really have the range or the ability to insta-kill major threats that is ideal. They're not bad like regular crossbows or literally every melee weapon, but they don't give you the ability to kill the final boss on the turn that it appears without leaving your watchtower. Longbows don't have good horde management(which shortbows and rifles both do), but they're the best at taking out priority targets, which is about 80% of the battle in the later nights.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

OtspIII posted:

Wait, does the Inn let you go above 3 characters? I thought it was for replacing dead ones, so I never build it

you can get up to 7 with inn upgrades

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Played quite a bit of this new deckbuilder called Roguebook last night, and found myself really really enjoying it. This one apparently comes from the creator of Magic The Gathering, which is interesting.

Things that set it apart: the overworld is done exceedingly well. You need to fight battles and obtain ink/brushes in order to reveal more of the map. You can go directly to the boss right at the start, but of course you will probably get smashed without winning/purchasing new cards, relics, and gems. The fights are always visible on the map but pickups and bonuses are hidden until you reveal them (the conceit being that you are trapped in a book). It also looks absolutely gorgeous:

The cards seem well-balanced and interesting enough, with a hero-switching and positional mechanic that is unique or else I've never seen anything exactly like it. The combat is interesting and there are legit difficult and complex choice to make as far as which cards to play when to maximize the total effect. If you let yourself get hit much you're gonna have a rough time because you don't have tons of health and you can't regain health to any great extent. Relics and ally cards also spice things up.

Runs can take a while, especially if you are relatively successful. I haven't even finished my first one, although I'm pretty close to death so I doubt I last much longer. I'm not sure how many worlds there are or how difficult the game is. But the presentation is incredible and it's actually the first deckbuilder in quite a while that has grabbed my attention to any great degree. Should be worth checking out!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

IMO the new thread is more like a Kickstarted sequel so I expect all the ASCII text to be replaced by 3D graphics that only I and two other people actually like

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Play posted:

Played quite a bit of this new deckbuilder called Roguebook last night, and found myself really really enjoying it. This one apparently comes from the creator of Magic The Gathering, which is interesting.

I'd honestly be shocked if he had anything to actually do with making it. I've never seen anything that actually says what he contributed to the game besides 'co-designed' it. It's not even like Artifact where you can see exactly what came from him (the Magic-like color system for the heroes, the three-lane aspect, and the real-money trading focus). Outside of how the exploration is handled, there's not really anything super unique to the game. This is not actually criticism of the game as I like it a lot. But it just feels like the fused Faeria and Slay The Spire and hired Garfield to put his name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kchama posted:

I'd honestly be shocked if he had anything to actually do with making it. I've never seen anything that actually says what he contributed to the game besides 'co-designed' it. It's not even like Artifact where you can see exactly what came from him (the Magic-like color system for the heroes, the three-lane aspect, and the real-money trading focus). Outside of how the exploration is handled, there's not really anything super unique to the game. This is not actually criticism of the game as I like it a lot. But it just feels like the fused Faeria and Slay The Spire and hired Garfield to put his name on it.

Honestly that means less than nothing to me but it featured heavily in the advertising so I figured to include it. He's some guy, yeah he made a card game but for me there's no evidence that he can make a game better than someone whose name you've never heard (conveniently enough, I HAD never heard his name before looking up the game).

Although there is an interview here: https://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/Magic-The-Gathering-Creator-Richard-Garfield-Reveals-Details-About-Roguebook-Game which seems to suggest that he designed or conceived of at least some of the unique mechanics in the game. Which makes sense because you have to have a good grasp of card game mechanics to be involved in something like M:TG.

Either way at the end of the day the only important factor is that the game turned out good, better than a lot of the copycat roguelike deckbuilders I've tried out in the last year or so anyways. The only unique mechanics are how the overworld is handled as well as some intricacies in the deck system. The specific way the two person party and switching works (and how many cards play off of that mechanic) is something I haven't actually seen before, but yeah they didn't reinvent the wheel (probably to the game's benefit, honestly)

Play fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 17, 2021