Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

I want The Abyss and True Lies 4K and I'm mad I'm not going to get it ever :mad:

Fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Avatar’s descent into obscurity has certainly been a trip. I remember when it was a huge deal for a short time and now nobody I know has said a word about being excited about it. Pretty sure Sam Worthington is making DTV poo poo nowadays.

Terminator got a botched Blu-ray, right? True Lies didn’t get one at all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Casimir Radon posted:

There’s a second Terminator Blu-Ray and it’s good. Terminator 2 is the cursed one. Easily the worst UHD I own.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm going to :lol: if James Cameron never finishes a single Avatar sequel

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm going to :lol: if James Cameron never finishes a single Avatar sequel

Who even wants more Avatar?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

Not me that's for loving sure. I was sick of that movie before I ever saw it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

https://youtu.be/REeg4LW14Sk

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But gois des ah treek to eht

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Avatar’s descent into obscurity has certainly been a trip. I remember when it was a huge deal for a short time and now nobody I know has said a word about being excited about it. Pretty sure Sam Worthington is making DTV poo poo nowadays.

The fact that there’s an Avatar Land at a major amusement park like it’s star wars is amazing to me. It’s probably empty most days, or full of kids who have no idea it was a franchise.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The fact that there’s an Avatar Land at a major amusement park like it’s star wars is amazing to me. It’s probably empty most days, or full of kids who have no idea it was a franchise.

Those rides are regularly massive waits.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anything thrilling is a long wait, but I doubt they give a poo poo about the semi-abortive franchise it’s part of.

In case you’re wondering if Avastar guy is a person of quality. He’s not.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hate the movie but the Avatar section of (are you loving kidding me) Animal Kingdom is pretty amazing. It's one of the best themed area in a series of extremely well themed parks, and those rides have some of their best tech.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

david_a posted:

There’s a second Terminator Blu-Ray and it’s good. Terminator 2 is the cursed one. Easily the worst UHD I own.

There’s been multiple T2 blu-rays that were not the quality you’d think Cameron would ever sign off on but yet he did and then they release a UHD of T2 and it’s legit one of the worst ones you can buy. So bad that it’s just on sale all the time for like $7-$10.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roth posted:

Those rides are regularly massive waits.

All I remember is Jenny Nicholson in a video report about it enthusiastically joining in with the animatronic alien singing “mah eh wah!” over and over on the avatar version of the Jungle Cruise ride.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
If you go back and watch avatar now it’s fine. Essentially it’s just about how America does 9/11 to other countries every day. The sequels are gonna be huge

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casimir Radon posted:

Anything thrilling is a long wait, but I doubt they give a poo poo about the semi-abortive franchise it’s part of.

In case you’re wondering if Avastar guy is a person of quality. He’s not.

No way

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Wow, there's a lot happening in that video and none of it good. I love that his Avatar theme is just a bunch of cheap crap from Spencer Gifts and a bunch of third rate airbrush paintings of the Avatar people that look like the kind you see poorly done on the side of carnival rides.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Daaaamn I forgot about that monstrosity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think about avastar more than I think about avatar. It’s one of the most underrated YouTube videos

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
That is/was a strip club, right? Because it sure as hell looks like a strip club

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel they could've come up with a better shot of Chris Rock for this UHD cover art...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat that's ugly

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tivivkYdvmg

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seriously though what is it going to do to Cameron's psyche when Avatar 2 comes out and it makes decent money but not huge money and it's totally forgotten after 2 weeks?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

are any silent films on UHD yet?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Brexit the Frog posted:

are any silent films on UHD yet?

Nope. Egbert pointed out yesterday that that's one of the last big milestones for the format. Which label's gonna make the first silent film UHD, and what the movie will be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think so far Wizard of Oz and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington are the earliest films on UHD? They were released in 1939.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously though what is it going to do to Cameron's psyche when Avatar 2 comes out and it makes decent money but not huge money and it's totally forgotten after 2 weeks?

I imagine since they made more than 1 this time, they will have a massive massive ad campaign to support it.

lmao if it bombs.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I feel they could've come up with a better shot of Chris Rock for this UHD cover art...

that's not his trademark squint!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spacebump posted:

I imagine since they made more than 1 this time, they will have a massive massive ad campaign to support it.

lmao if it bombs.

None of the sequels have actually been made. They're "in production"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember when the first one came out and there were people who spiraled into depression about the fantastical world of Avatar being so much better than the horrible real world and it being impossible to escape actual existence, and that was a good five years before human civilization began to spiral downward.

I wonder what those same people would say now?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea of course because of the ad blitz it can't possibly be a true bomb. But at this point the bar is so high because of all the delays and because of how Avatar was this huge pop culture phenomenon, I can't imagine Cameron being happy with just another blockbuster that comes and goes and makes some money but doesn't make much of an impact beyond the initial box office run. Not when this much time, effort and money is being put into multiple sequels and theme parks and toys and all the rest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I remember when the first one came out and there were people who spiraled into depression about the fantastical world of Avatar being so much better than the horrible real world and it being impossible to escape actual existence, and that was a good five years before human civilization began to spiral downward.

I wonder what those same people would say now?

They've probably moved on to wishing they lived in the MCU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Avatar did so well because of how it used 3D leading to a large amount of 3d ticket sales. I just can't imagine the sequels have close to the same impact unless against all odds they made 3d popular again.

Avatar made more money than most movies and I bet 90% of the people that saw it then couldn't name two characters from the movie now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Avatar did so well because of how it used 3D leading to a large amount of 3d ticket sales. I just can't imagine the sequels have close to the same impact unless against all odds they made 3d popular again.

lol actually yea maybe all the delays will end up working in it's favor because like an entire decade has gone by so maybe people are ready for another 3D craze.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
God I hope not, 3D is such a tiresome gimmick to inflate ticket prices. I can count on one hand the number of movies that actually used it well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

lol actually yea maybe all the delays will end up working in it's favor because like an entire decade has gone by so maybe people are ready for another 3D craze.

It starting another 3d craze would be great. Then maybe more 3d tvs would get made. Would love to be able to watch my 3d blu rays one day after my 3d tv dies.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

God I hope not, 3D is such a tiresome gimmick to inflate ticket prices. I can count on one hand the number of movies that actually used it well.

imo 3d got better over time. The MCU conversions continued to get better. A problem was a lot of conversions weren't great and turned people off. The movies shot in 3d early on were by far better than conversions but over time conversions became somewhat comparable. I loved Days of Future Past being shot in 3d. Certain scenes were just better in 3d. (at least to me)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 17, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My Blood Valentine 3D and?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My issue with 3D was that over the course of a 2 hour movie it would gradually give me a headache, so if I'm going to deal with a headache I really want it to be worth it and not many of them were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, it was the first big movie to be in 3D in a non-gimmick way. The other 3D movies from that time were doing the old throwing poo poo at the camera that becomes glaring in 2D. Avatar was a tech demo of what 3D could be, if it was used in a natural, even if fantastic, environment.

That's pretty much all it had going for it, and that's why it made money. All these years later 3D is out of Vogue again, and it's lost all impact it could have had, if it has been released even 5 years after the first, not 12.