Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

While I'm glad y'all are enforcing mask orders, I haven't seen a kid in a mask in three or four weeks; schoolyards/daycares included.

People who call concerned posters "doomers" are hilarious.

How many schoolyards/daycares are you visiting exactly? Are you just looking at the kids when they are running around outside (and thus when masks are less necessary), or actually going inside the buildings/looking at classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

loving perfect.

Don't think I mentioned it in this thread but I (in Melbourne, current mild outbreak and semi-lockdown) was sitting in the queue to get COVID tested the other day because I had a sore throat and rang my mum in Western Australia (never any outbreaks, 100% COVID-free hard border situation) who during the conversation maintained that she wasn't going to get the AZ vaccine because she was concerned about blood clots and wants to wait for Pfizer and there just wasn't any need to get it because there's "no COVID in WA" - while every sentence was interrupted with a massive, wracking cough, because of "this flu thing that's been going around."

I don't actually think there's some massive undetected outbreak of COVID cases in Fortress Western Australia - it would have cropped up in the hospitalisation stats by now - but it was a stark illustration of how complacent they are, and gently caress me dead, if it ever slips through the quarantine like it did in Melbourne last year they're in deep poo poo.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Curevac just came out with weak Phase 3 data. This literally means many many more deaths will occur.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

While I'm glad y'all are enforcing mask orders, I haven't seen a kid in a mask in three or four weeks; schoolyards/daycares included.

People who call concerned posters "doomers" are hilarious.

Not sure if the last part was directed at me, but I've never called you a "doomer."

My county dropped the official mask mandate when we fell below 100 cases per 100k. :eyeroll:

I've made the decision to continue to require masks at my business anyway.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MarcusSA posted:

I’m curious about the psychological effect of forcing small children to wear masks.

Anecdotal but my kid didn't give a flying gently caress.

Kids understand better than some adults the necessity of things sometimes

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Curevac just came out with weak Phase 3 data. This literally means many many more deaths will occur.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/curevac-vaccine-coronavirus-efficacy-results-variants/601964/

Dammit
:(
In reading multiple articles they aren't sure exactly why results are so different it remains to be seen

Spinz fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 17, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Gotta say, calling it CureVac before they even knew its efficacy was some amazing hubris

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

gay picnic defence posted:

My opinion is that you'll feel a lot better if you stop worrying about stuff you can't control.

Get vaccinated (if you haven't already) and go out and enjoy life. The chuds are never going to be convinced to get vaccinated, it's going to take ages for approvals for the vaccination of kids to be processed, and only a fraction of the developing world has access to vaccines, so whatever new variants you're stressing the gently caress out over are going to happen regardless of whether you mask up or not.

Good post OP. My only change would be to add safely to the end of "go out and enjoy life". I was 100% "doomer" until about 2-3 weeks ago, when I realized the only way I'll ever get to some form of normal was to focus on things I can control, and use the data available to make the proper decisions to keep myself and family safe. That data being the wastewater samples in my city/area - you can't stop people from poopin. Unfortunately many places don't publish this data, and many places in the US want to limit or stop testing. Even if that is the case, if a new wave starts, the hospitals will for sure know, and medical professionals will speak out.

The constant worry about the next wave starting/vaxxes becoming less effective against new variants feels like I painted myself into a corner. That lonely corner feels safe, but I'm never leaving it unless I try. So, dip a pinky toe into the paint, and see how it feels. And that dipping my pinky toe was walking my dog outside without a mask. Did I feel nervous? yup. But if covid is that easily spread outdoors, it's still be out of control in the stats, and it's been declining drastically from our 3rd wave recently. It's a tiny step, but it helps me move forward instead of being stuck hiding in my safe space. Also we still have mask mandates for indoors (for the most part - we're opening up currently, so that varies) where I am, so luckily I'm not surrounded by maskless people that I'm not sure have been vaccinated. I also don't have children, so mt heart goes out to those goons who do, and are forced to make school/pandemic-related decisions regarding them.

If you don't want to dip that toe, at least try to reframe your thoughts into some positive ones. You will start to feel better after. Maybe only 5% better at first, but that's a start, and remember you're moving a heavy boulder. As a start, think of 3 positive things that the current world has.

1. We have very effective vaccines for this - when it all started, some "medical experts" were saying it may take years to get MRNa vaccines for this. They did it in ~6-8 months? There are some rare side effects, but so far things seem good.
2. We know how people and gov'ts react to world changing events like this (poorly for the most part), and we can better prep ourselves when it happens again (don't panic-buy stuff, have some masks ready, keep washing your hands)
3. This world loving sucks now. I can only change what I can, and spending time thinking about "what if" when I can't do much to prevent it isn't good for my mental health.

There's going to be a lot of PTSD from this pandemic, so remember to take care of your mental health to lessen the impact, and help you be there for others that need you.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

stab posted:

yeah my kids were 100% on board with whatever they had to do from the beginning. that being said, they've basically reached the end of their rope on distance learning (they're young enough that I've basically given up trying to strictly enforce it). and now that it's getting to be 30+ out, even my very obedient older daughter is starting to pull her mask down when playing outside

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Spaghett posted:

I read this thread when I see a bunch of new posts because I think, "oh man, maybe there's some kind of news I should read about," but then it's like 4 pages of conspiracy theories or someone trying to bootstrap a statistics class via irritating arguments.

This thread is like fly paper for those that got more mentally ill during quarantine. So I guess that's why I'm posting here.

Anyone else just going about life as if nothing happened? I have been and it's weird. I live in Missouri. There's like no catharsis in it.

We don't have to wear masks at work anymore so I'm seeing my coworkers' faces for the first time. I started this job like 2 months ago.

Well that's my COVID story! I hope I don't get it again cus it suuuuuuuucks.

I have to say that my world has been two computer screens in a second bedroom for 12 hours during work days with commutes to the kitchen, lounge or master bedroom. Then weekends it's getting away to the remotest parts of the city or province to just get away from the prison while avoiding the "infected". The only real interaction with strangers has been with the Amazon drivers delivering impulse buys, so having to go out for errands or medical appointments during the work week is kinda jarring as it reminds you that life is marching on and does actually exist outside of the house. So integrating back into the flow is going to be the challenge after being out of it for the past 16 months.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

stab posted:

I don’t know if they understand the necessity better or if it’s just that kids, especially younger ones, are trained they have to do stuff they don’t like because parents/authority figures tell them they have to and that’s just the way things work.

Like I don’t know if kids think “I need to wear a mask because if I don’t, grandma might die” or if it’s “dad said I have to wear this stupid mask just like I have to wear stupid pants and dumb shoes if I want to go outside so I guess it’s part of the routine now.”

But either way, kids seem more likely to follow the rules even if they need constant reminders because they have no attention span.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fuller9x posted:

I have to say that my world has been two computer screens in a second bedroom for 12 hours during work days with commutes to the kitchen, lounge or master bedroom. Then weekends it's getting away to the remotest parts of the city or province to just get away from the prison while avoiding the "infected". The only real interaction with strangers has been with the Amazon drivers delivering impulse buys, so having to go out for errands or medical appointments during the work week is kinda jarring as it reminds you that life is marching on and does actually exist outside of the house. So integrating back into the flow is going to be the challenge after being out of it for the past 16 months.

Honestly the interesting thing about it is California is now open for business if you're vaccinated, but culturally it still seems like most of us are wearing masks for a bit (I'm guessing until Cal/OSHA says no masks for vaccinated employees).

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

^I don't know when CA lifted their masks but here it took around 3 weeks before I started seeing a notable decline in masking. I guess a lot of people had the same thought I did of wanting to see what happened to the numbers for a few weeks before they stopped.

Given my acne in 9th grade it would have been a great help to me psychologically if I had been forced to wear a mask for a year.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey, if we're all gonna have paranoid freakouts, I seem to have developed a subclavian aneurysm since I got my shot 2 days ago. Probably 100% unrelated but it's really important to think the worst of everything right now according to this thread, so RIP my left arm, I wish you didn't get amputated in the near future. Thanks for nothing, Covid vaccines!

That’s awful.

I wish you the best in your therapy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey, if we're all gonna have paranoid freakouts, I seem to have developed a subclavian aneurysm since I got my shot 2 days ago. Probably 100% unrelated but it's really important to think the worst of everything right now according to this thread, so RIP my left arm, I wish you didn't get amputated in the near future. Thanks for nothing, Covid vaccines!

Well, that sounds like an absolute fuckload to cope with. Condolences on the arm and god speed on recovery, jesus

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sharknado slashfic posted:

^I don't know when CA lifted their masks but here it took around 3 weeks before I started seeing a notable decline in masking. I guess a lot of people had the same thought I did of wanting to see what happened to the numbers for a few weeks before they stopped.

Given my acne in 9th grade it would have been a great help to me psychologically if I had been forced to wear a mask for a year.

Yeah, ours was the 15th for vaccinated people, so it seems like it'll take a week or two to really spread out

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Castaign posted:

I work with small children and I expected that mask orders were going to be extremely challenging and distressing for the younger kids. Instead, the younger kids had no issues with wearing masks and we're perfectly happy to romp around and play and interact while masked. The kids I know (and I know quite a few) adapted fast and with minimal apparent challenge.

Where I saw kids (especially 3 through 6 year olds, but not exclusively) struggle was with remote learning and the social isolation that accompanied lockdown.

(Please note that that's not an argument against the necessity of locking down, just an observation that yes, there was definitely an impact on children's social development.)

Thank you very much for the non snarky informed reply.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah, ours was the 15th for vaccinated people, so it seems like it'll take a week or two to really spread out

Yeah I went to Trader Joe’s yesterday and 99% of people were still wearing masks. They had taken down the signs stating the mask requirement as well.

I live in a pretty decently vaccinated area as well so I guess it’s still habit for most people.

Obviously the employees were still masked up.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeesh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully they can get you on proper treatment / therapy regime quickly to treat it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Honestly the interesting thing about it is California is now open for business if you're vaccinated, but culturally it still seems like most of us are wearing masks for a bit (I'm guessing until Cal/OSHA says no masks for vaccinated employees).

My workplace will continue to mandate masks but that's because we're healthcare people and have to be careful. No one has a problem with it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xcheopis posted:

My workplace will continue to mandate masks but that's because we're healthcare people and have to be careful. No one has a problem with it.

Yeah I bet masks will continue to be required for healthcare/public transit/etc for a while (which I'm fine with), but assuming everything goes good, it won't be for too long.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Realistically, because it was Pfizer, it's probably a coincidence with this aneurysm. I've had issues with the left shoulder sitting incorrectly and dislocating, plus a lot of tight muscles and tendons in the area, so it's kind of not a surprise.

Whatever happens, I'm super loving grateful I'm fully vaxxed now because we don't exactly have a good track record here of keeping hospitals safe, so if I do end up in one, I should be okay even if there's an ongoing outbreak. I've heard of several families who all had to isolate at some point because someone went to get a surgery and brought Covid back with them.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you very much for the non snarky informed reply.

My pleasure. It was actually a really pleasant surprise for me how easy it's been to keep kids masked up. Although I have to say that with the very young ages (3s and 4s) it really feels more like theatre than it does a legit NPI. Little kids are fine with wearing masks, but they aren't good at wearing masks. After the fifth time in 30 minutes when I find myself kneeling down face to face with a little kid to help them fix the mask that slipped off their face, I start to wonder if this isn't actually a bit counterproductive.

Picnic Princess posted:

Jesus, I'm sorry. Thoughts and prayers for your arm.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah I bet masks will continue to be required for healthcare/public transit/etc for a while (which I'm fine with), but assuming everything goes good, it won't be for too long.

I'm hoping public transit keeps it up and also not having to share a seat. That's been quite nice.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Castaign posted:

Not sure if the last part was directed at me, but I've never called you a "doomer."

My county dropped the official mask mandate when we fell below 100 cases per 100k. :eyeroll:

I've made the decision to continue to require masks at my business anyway.

No no, not at you. You're good folks.

I drive past a lot of schools and daycares and whatnot on my way into town and I was watching a Disney video and saw all those maskless kids on videos from like, two days ago, and went "huh I wonder what all these folks think".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t believe that railing tripped those kids like that. Thats hosed up.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The only reason I am having my second AZ dose is because I'm not willing to take a dose of Pfizer away from someone who hasn't received any vaccine yet.

I remain pissed off that people to whom vaccination was opened up early because they are medically vulnerable ended up worse off by following the guidance, though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nobody ended up "worse off" by taking AZ. It is a good vaccine!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Nobody ended up "worse off" by taking AZ. It is a good vaccine!

Yeah but try telling boomers they can’t have something…

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stab posted:

Plus little kids have recently gone through the phase where they didn't want to wear shoes, or pants, or just randomly took off all their clothes and ran around naked. And then had to learn to accept shoes and/or clothes. Had to learn that they won't be allowed to wear their comfy spiderman pajamas 24/7.

Having to accept another piece of clothing builds on those lessons that sometimes we have to wear things we don't want to wear. A lesson little kids remember but many adults seem to have forgotten.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My friend works at a vaccine booking call center and she had boomers refuse to make appointments if the pharmacy even offered AZ. They wanted to make sure no one "accidentally" gave them anything but Pfizer and demanded she find them a spot at a Pfizer only location, which didn't exist unless they temporarily ran out of supply. She was losing her loving mind having to deal with them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Picnic Princess posted:

My friend works at a vaccine booking call center and she had boomers refuse to make appointments if the pharmacy even offered AZ. They wanted to make sure no one "accidentally" gave them anything but Pfizer and demanded she find them a spot at a Pfizer only location, which didn't exist unless they temporarily ran out of supply. She was losing her loving mind having to deal with them.

They should get saline, the stupid fuckers. gently caress I hate boomers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They should get saline, the stupid fuckers. gently caress I hate boomers.

This is a perfectly normal response.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I suggest ‘grandchildren’.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
What the gently caress did they expect was going to happen

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1405550804728270853

Statement from the CEO: https://www.facebook.com/100057105533884/posts/264408202139362/

quote:

Two steps forward and one step back ! out of an abundance of caution, we are postponing Odyssey’s inaugural sailing from July 3 to July 31, 2021. A simulation cruise, originally scheduled for late June, will also be rescheduled.
During routine testing, eight crew members received a positive test result for COVID-19. All 1,400 crew onboard Odyssey of the Seas were vaccinated on June 4th and will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18. The positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given and before they were fully effective.
The eight crew members, six of whom are asymptomatic and two with mild symptoms, were quarantined and are being closely monitored by our medical team. To protect the remaining crew and prevent any further cases, we will have all crew quarantined for 14 days and continue with our routine testing.
Guests and travel partners will be notified and given several options to consider. While disappointing, this is the right decision for the health and well-being of our crew and guests.

The vaccines aren't guaranteed to be 100% effective, dumbass :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress did they expect was going to happen

They want special favors from the government.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Got my second Moderna injection Thursday morning and felt fine enough to do my training session in the afternoon. Headaches came in later in the evening and just feel low-key hungover since then. Could be worse but man, its really nice out and I just want to just sit around do nothing. Will probably try to get moving a bit in the afternoon as it feels like that should reduce the fatigued feeling.

Also, actually still impressed how professional the vaccine rollout is done here. Got my jab about 10min after walking into the vaccine site. And I got my QR code, that says I'm fully vaccinated, sent to me online while sitting in the waiting room afterwards.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sup thread. I heard American insurance companies are making you pay for the tests now?

I can rolling order a pack of 7 NHS lateral flow tests (the ones you do at home like a pregnancy test) every few days and will send them out to goons in need for free. If fluffy bunny wants a pack I’ll send the first one to them.

DM me or post in here :)

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 18, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Sup thread. I heard American insurance companies are making you pay for the tests now?

I can rolling order a pack of 7 NHS lateral flow tests (the ones you do at home like a pregnancy test) every few days and will send them out to goons in need for free. If fluffy bunny wants a pack I’ll send the first one to them.

DM me or post in here :)

But also don't use these because they're garbage

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chem.../99/web/2021/06

quote:

COVID-19 test used in UK mass screening program receives stinging rebuke from FDA

US health agency’s warning for Innova raises fresh questions about efficacy of ‘Operation Moonshot’ antigen test.

“Stop using the Innova SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Qualitative Test.” That was the stark warning to the public from the US Food and Drug Administration on June 10, about an unapproved rapid lateral flow test used to diagnose COVID-19. Among a litany of concerns, the FDA said that the test posed a health risk because of its potential to deliver false results. And to underscore the message, the FDA added that users should “destroy the tests by placing them in the trash.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am in awe, literally awe.