Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It's also possible that in the MCU Enchantress is just a version of Loki like how Ultimate Cable is Wolverine from the future.

This is my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's been like 4 years since I saw it last, but I didn't think Chris Evans kissed Peggy or anyone else before crashing into the ice.

But I'll defer to you and amend my statement to "I know Movie Cap only kissed a girl before he was frozen...[everything else I said]"

Aside from hyperbolic overstatements for effect, anytime I say something inaccurate I'm just misremembering something from a while ago. It's weird you think I do it as a bit.

Edit: See, I just forgot that part. He definitely didn't gently caress before getting frozen though.

Peggy kisses Steve right before he jumps out of the car and onto the Hydra plane.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If there ever were Timekeepers, which I’m honestly questioning, they’re dead now. “Oh they’re off in seclusion working really hard on the future because apparently it’s only a Sacred Half Of Timeline actually!!!” was incredibly unconvincing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They barely even look like lizards too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
were Time Keepers a thing in comics? I didn't specifically avoid the more metaphysical comics, but I mostly read more street level (except Dr Strange) until Hickman started writing and it seems to me he would have brought them up at some point between Fantastic Four, Avengers and his current X-Men run.

Not that he's the arbiter of Marvel canon, just it kinda seems like something he would have dealt with between those comic runs.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Alright I've only just started Loki but there drat well better be a twist that ends up with Owen Wilson playing Kang because that is what I need in a loving Marvel Villain. Also cast Luke Wilson as Reed Richards and just never bring it up.

Come on, give me Kang!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TGG posted:

Alright I've only just started Loki but there drat well better be a twist that ends up with Owen Wilson playing Kang because that is what I need in a loving Marvel Villain. Also cast Luke Wilson as Reed Richards and just never bring it up.

Come on, give me Kang!

Good news, he's the bad guy in the third Ant-Man and has been cast. Jonathan Majors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

were Time Keepers a thing in comics? I didn't specifically avoid the more metaphysical comics, but I mostly read more street level (except Dr Strange) until Hickman started writing and it seems to me he would have brought them up at some point between Fantastic Four, Avengers and his current X-Men run.

Not that he's the arbiter of Marvel canon, just it kinda seems like something he would have dealt with between those comic runs.

Yes. They had a pivotal role in Avengers Forever.

Immortus was their enslaved minion, Kang fought them at every turn. after Kang and Immortus were split into separate beings, Kang slew the Keepers. I don't know if they have appeared since.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

Rhyno posted:

Yes. They had a pivotal role in Avengers Forever.

Immortus was their enslaved minion, Kang fought them at every turn. after Kang and Immortus were split into separate beings, Kang slew the Keepers. I don't know if they have appeared since.

The TVA and the Time Keepers did predate Avengers Forever, though. If I recall correctly, the Keepers showed up first (in Thor in 1979), then the TVA showed up later (Thor again, in 1986), and then the TVA got retconned into have been working for the Keepers all along. They've been both supporting characters or antagonists depending on who's doing the time travel (supporting if the villains are, antagonists if the heroes are) but in Avengers Forever they were discovered to be manipulating the time line for only one reason....to ensure that they themselves came into existence and became all powerful. They haven't been seen since Avengers Forever when Kang killed them, but the TVA seems to have lived on as the people who try to regulate time travel.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 17, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The TVA had a major role in the Joe Kelly Deadpool run I think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Guys, regarding Loki,

We all gonna just ignore that the Enchantress already exists in the MCU? Can't possibly be her!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Medullah posted:

Guys, regarding Loki,

We all gonna just ignore that the Enchantress already exists in the MCU? Can't possibly be her!

Wasn't that character the Enchantress' sister, and not the Enchantress herself, or something to that effect?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Klungar posted:

Wasn't that character the Enchantress' sister, and not the Enchantress herself, or something to that effect?

A lot of assumption on your part that I remember more than a week ago

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Medullah posted:

A lot of assumption on your part that I remember more than a week ago

Honestly, same. Here's what the some random wiki says: "In the comics, Lorelei [pictured lady] is the sister of Amora, the Enchantress."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

Honestly, I find it endearing that Courtney full of brio, moxie, and no brains whatsoever.

Yeah. That's pretty common for male characters but not so much female characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Courtney, to defeat this villain you must Star more than you ever have before.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Regarding the person at the end of episode 2, I don't know if Lady Loki is going to end up the MCU version of the Enchantress, but I'm pretty darn sure that was Loki and not Amora. A complicated plan full of long term planning, feints and double-feints, and then a swerve at the last second to do something else altogether is a bit outside the realm of typical Enchantress planning, which doesn't get much more complicated than "find strong man, make him love me". That was a Loki plan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Regarding the person at the end of episode 2, I don't know if Lady Loki is going to end up the MCU version of the Enchantress, but I'm pretty darn sure that was Loki and not Amora. A complicated plan full of long term planning, feints and double-feints, and then a swerve at the last second to do something else altogether is a bit outside the realm of typical Enchantress planning, which doesn't get much more complicated than "find strong man, make him love me". That was a Loki plan.

Also, the horns.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Medullah posted:

Guys, regarding Loki,

Idgi who is that

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

Idgi who is that

Lorelei. They did one or two early episodes (I wanna say season 2?) of Agents of SHIELD with her in them, and Sif too, I think?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Season 1, it's the episode that included the infamous 'Ward and May were just talking scene.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What I want to know is how the TVA interacts with Jugheads time police.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That woman has t-rex arms

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

If there ever were Timekeepers, which I’m honestly questioning, they’re dead now. “Oh they’re off in seclusion working really hard on the future because apparently it’s only a Sacred Half Of Timeline actually!!!” was incredibly unconvincing.

out in the multiverse saving the timeline with the time keepers. they're all out of frame laughing

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That woman has t-rex arms

There has to be dodgy photoshop involved, because none of her proportions are making sense

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Psh agents of shield aint even canon so her t rex arms dont even exist

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Regarding Loki am I missing something, how are all the reset charges supposed to be bombing the timeline? As far as I understood, they just... well, reset the timeline, it looked like. I thought when all the little doors appeared that they'd be going straight to the TVA and loving it up somehow what with it being outside of time. But like, if a reset charge goes off in a normal timeline spot, shouldn't it do nothing?

Also I get that it's the aesthetic but it's wild that the TVA are worse than the Legends of Tomorrow when it comes to blending in.

And count me in for the theory that the Variant/Sylvie is just Loki ("our" Loki) from later in the timeline.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Regarding Loki am I missing something, how are all the reset charges supposed to be bombing the timeline? As far as I understood, they just... well, reset the timeline, it looked like. I thought when all the little doors appeared that they'd be going straight to the TVA and loving it up somehow what with it being outside of time. But like, if a reset charge goes off in a normal timeline spot, shouldn't it do nothing?

Also I get that it's the aesthetic but it's wild that the TVA are worse than the Legends of Tomorrow when it comes to blending in.

And count me in for the theory that the Variant/Sylvie is just Loki ("our" Loki) from later in the timeline.

They erase everything in their vacinity from the timeline, so dropping them into say, a crowded theater in normal time, would be bad.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TwoPair posted:

We'll probably find out for sure on Wednesday, but my theory is that Lady Loki mass bombed the Time Keepers themselves out of existence. Or at least disabled them such that they're not currently able to help maintain the timeline at crucial weak points, hence everything blowing up all at once. Remember that the captured Minuteman was mumbling how she'd been forced to tell Lady Loki how to get to the Time Keepers, so I believe she used that info to bomb them with dozens of their own weapons.

As far as the TVA blending in, they don't care because by definition no one on site will ever remember they were there in the first place since they're going to reset bomb the place on the way out.

Vince MechMahon posted:

They erase everything in their vacinity from the timeline, so dropping them into say, a crowded theater in normal time, would be bad.

I don't think that's right. When we see the bomb go off in the Ren Faire it isn't erasing everything, just everything that doesn't belong there according to the Sacred Timeline rules. The tent itself is unaffected, for instance, but all the dead Minutemen and their gear gets erased.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jng2058 posted:

I don't think that's right. When we see the bomb go off in the Ren Faire it isn't erasing everything, just everything that doesn't belong there according to the Sacred Timeline rules. The tent itself is unaffected, for instance, but all the dead Minutemen and their gear gets erased.

I think that's just some nice visuals for the audience.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TwoPair posted:

Given that the TVA has infinity stones casually rolling around in the lost and found I assumed their level of power is such that each reset charge destroys the entire universe of the timeline they're detonated in

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Given that the TVA has infinity stones casually rolling around in the lost and found I assumed their level of power is such that each reset charge destroys the entire universe of the timeline they're detonated in

While that could be true, it could also be an indicator that like their comics counterparts the infinity gems, the MCU infinity stones cease to function if taken outside of their home universe, which means the TVA is located in an extra-dimensional space not in the normal universe and therefore the stones are powerless there. Making them useful as souvenirs and paperweights but not much else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Maybe the villain in Loki modified the reset charges?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jng2058 posted:

While that could be true, it could also be an indicator that like their comics counterparts the infinity gems, the MCU infinity stones cease to function if taken outside of their home universe, which means the TVA is located in an extra-dimensional space not in the normal universe and therefore the stones are powerless there. Making them useful as souvenirs and paperweights but not much else.

We know that's not true cause in end game they bring in infinity stones from other time lines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the comics, alternate universes are not always the same as alternate timelines.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

In the comics, alternate universes are not always the same as alternate timelines.

In the movies they explicitly are though. Like what the avengers did is the exact kind of thing the TVA handles, they just used the bill and Ted loophole of coming back to the instant they left later to set stuff right based on the assumption they would win.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

In the movies they explicitly are though. Like what the avengers did is the exact kind of thing the TVA handles, they just used the bill and Ted loophole of coming back to the instant they left later to set stuff right based on the assumption they would win.

Well maybe I forget Hulk's exact explanation but in this episode Loki (& Miss Minutes) explain that a separate universe/timeline is only formed once the timeline variance passes the red line on their little chart. Combine that with the handwave in episode 1 about how the Avengers were "supposed" to do the time heist, and I think that all the time branches in the time heist were all in the same universe, meaning the stones would work*. And Cap plugged all those holes (except for Loki and the Tesseract, which the TVA took care of) on his return trip.

*of course it could still be that Infinity Stones do work outside of their timeline/universe here, they just don't work in the TVA specifically. Maybe if Loki could grab a handful of Time Stones and escape he'd be Supergod of Time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Doesn't "indicates the gems don't work outside of their reality" seem a bit too technical for the moment of that reveal? It makes more sense IMO, emotionally and for the overall plot, for the reveal to signify that while the Gems operate on an universal scale, the TVA are a bigger deal than that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
gonna be honest here this show is kind of making the other MCU shows look like amateur hour top to bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more, though that might just be recency bias combined with WV and FatWS kind of falling apart at the end