Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

There's a lot to post about today huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

even that white paper is pretty weak about if team Biden even wants a Patriot Act 2. there might be some amendments in other bills, but it seems like most of what they want to do is already "legal."

quote:

Strategic Goal 3.2: Assess potential legislative reforms.
The threat posed by domestic terrorism is an urgent priority, and this Strategy explains how we are already addressing it aggressively using existing legal authorities. It also lays out how we plan to continue to improve our response while relying on those authorities.

At the same time, in grappling with today’s evolving domestic terrorism threat, we must ask the question of whether legislative reforms could meaningfully and materially increase our ability to protect Americans from acts of domestic terrorism while simultaneously guarding against potential abuse of overreach. New criminal laws, in particular, should be sought only after careful consideration of whether and how they are needed to assist the government in tackling complex, multifaceted challenges like the one posed by domestic terrorism and only while ensuring the protection of civil rights and civil liberties.

Therefore, even as we augment our approach to domestic terrorism under existing authorities, the Department of Justice is examining carefully what new authorities might be necessary and appropriate. As with the rest of this Strategy, we are ensuring that such examination is driven by the facts and informed by the analysis of the experts who can guide our understanding of both the current authorities for addressing domestic terrorism threats and the implications for civil rights and civil liberties of pursuing any changes to those authorities. Duly informed by their analysis and by the recommendations of Federal law enforcement leadership, we will, in consultation with the Congress, consider whether seeking legislative reforms is appropriate and, if so, which to pursue.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Many will be killed in groups, 69 Pinocchios

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
if you collaborate with the american invader you deserve what you get, imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Malleum posted:

Even more when you look at the historical record for what happen to collaborators when the colonial power is forced to leave.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Malleum posted:

oh no we're abandoning the guys who would say their neighbor totally did a Taliban once if it meant they got a paycheck or control of his poppy field!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
won't someone PLEASE save the rats?!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

He was born a rodent for sure, but Afghanistan is where Mayor Pete truly learned how to become a rat

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Malleum posted:

A lot of the workers doing those jobs (drivers, carpenters, painters, laborers, etc) were in extremely desperate times in the middle of a warzone when uncle sugar offered some cash/medical care/security/etc.

They deserve what they get? Really?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sexpig by night posted:

wow between PATRIOT ACT 2: Domestic Boogaloo and that SCOTUS ruling I'm genuinely feeling absolutely helpless and just bad all around! Cool morning!

I wouldn't count on any patriot act 2 passing congress.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

:allears:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

A lot of the workers doing those jobs (drivers, carpenters, painters, laborers, etc) were in extremely desperate times in the middle of a warzone when uncle sugar offered some cash/medical care/security/etc.

yes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oh, evacuate the child rapist warlords that the pentagon loves? yeah yeah great plan, why would we let those folks face justice

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Never change mcmagic

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

spacetoaster posted:

if you buy comfort at the expense of somebody else's life, you should really just be happy you can't collect interest on death

there are people who spent their entire lives in Guantanamo for something they didn't do

there are people who are in the ground because of tips that weren't real

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pamela Springstein posted:

the Democrat mayor used covid emergency powers and spent 359,000$ to have George Floyd Square cleared. this is what voting gets you.

is this actually true; also was the 359k from covid relief funds

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/snarwani/status/1405491453888020481

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mastershakeman posted:

is this actually true; also was the 359k from covid relief funds

https://mobile.twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/1405546605651107845

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mirthless posted:

if you buy comfort at the expense of somebody else's life, you should really just be happy you can't collect interest on death

there are people who spent their entire lives in Guantanamo for something they didn't do

there are people who are in the ground because of tips that weren't real

I wasn't talking about snitches. There's a whole lot of people who worked with coalition forces that just cleaned toilets and stuff.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

mcmagic posted:

:nallears:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

yeah if there's anything our leaders hate to do it's expanding the surveillance state and empowering the police/military/alphabet agencies

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
IDK, if there's anything the GOP likes more than busting heads and sucking off cops it's sticking their finger in the eye of the democrats, although I wouldn't bet that they'll filibuster the patriot act 2 and the dems have enough votes to pass it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I wasn't talking about snitches. There's a whole lot of people who worked with coalition forces that just cleaned toilets and stuff.

given that coalition soldiers have been able to just take off their jackets and join the other side historically, I don't see why somebody who scrubbed poo poo off toilets would be in danger

they're angry people, human beings, trying to take back their country from foreign invaders. they're not barbarians and don't have any reason to engage in indiscriminate murder of every single person who worked a job adjacent to the absolutely gargantuan "peacekeeping" apparatus

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/_jack_fox_/status/1404121942441951232

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

The fact that projected inflation is near a 40-year high isn’t an accident — it’s because his plans are working.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Raiad posted:

lol at any post ww2 troop saying they fought for americans' freedom

we joined ww2 at the last moment possible

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the RW talking point is that the partiot act 2 will be used against chuds

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Verus posted:

i was going to make a joke about this looking like (reprehensible oligarch) julia louis-dreyfus from seinfeld, but the more I look at it the more unsure I become that it might actually be her

edit: you know what, it's the DNC, safe to assume that the only people invited had networths 9 figures and up

its President Selina Myers OP

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

why this blind faith?

Schumer has already promised to fast-track the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2021 through the senate lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

the RW talking point is that the partiot act 2 will be used against chuds

yea like the right wing were not super into poo poo like this during the PATRIOT act era but Bush was in charge and 9/11 had literally just happened

but the right wing of today legitimately believes that pizzagate is real and that donald trump was cheated out of the presidency in a deep state CIA conspiracy

it would be very easy for the GOP to oppose this, politically, and rather difficult for them to rubberstamp

Trabisnikof posted:

why this blind faith?

Schumer has already promised to fast-track the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act of 2021 through the senate lol

because it's very easy to oppose this and biden has no mandate from the public to do this right now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

its insanely good for capital and our descent into surveillance-mediated neofeudal climate hell so its gonna pass

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mcmagic posted:

Why did Patriot Act 1 pass then?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bideo James posted:

we joined ww2 at the last moment possible

the soviets withdrew their ambassador in london in protest in 1943!! because the us/uk kept making excuses why they couldn't open a second front in europe and had to go dick around in africa instead using the same landing ships that us/uk swore they didn't have enough of to cross the channel

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the united states was a blister on europe, because we didn't show up until all the hard work was done

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Probably Magic posted:

Why did Patriot Act 1 pass then?

because two airliners crashed into the world trade center

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Patriot Act was basically already written before 9/11 happened

Patriot Act 2 doesn't exist. there's no text. it's a bullet point in a bunch of Biden white papers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Atrocious Joe posted:

the Patriot Act was basically already written before 9/11 happened

Patriot Act 2 doesn't exist. there's no text. it's a bullet point in a bunch of Biden white papers.

so, basically: the specific time to get worried about patriot act 2 will be if a terrorist attack just suddenly happens out of nowhere just as the bill has materialized and is ready to be voted on

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

translation: lol collaborators you thought we cared what happened to you, get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah honestly tho the patriot act and the decisions made on a policy level such as rubberstamp FISA courts give the feds everything they could ever want for domestic repression. there is nothing left to write into a patriot act 2 that wouldn't rip the mask off by being too blatant.