Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

Not as good as explosion spell, but it gets the job done.

It looks like all the scythers just got teleported out of the way though, I counted seven before and after the hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Complications posted:

It looks like all the scythers just got teleported out of the way though, I counted seven before and after the hit.

Yea it just pushed them out of the way, but it also killed one and damaged/stunned the others which let me kill them before they did any damage.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
For Alpha Animals, how are you guys weapinizing the Raptor Prawns? I finally managed to tame one after several unfortunate (trader) deaths, but when a raid came it just moped around and got shot at. I had to send my precious Timber Wolves into harms way, which is not acceptable.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If they're not trainable, then use Giddy Up! mod and its various offshoots, then stick an armored out melee pawn on top and have them ride it into battle.

Note that using a taming inspiration on a Gallatross is extremely tempting, however:
1) They have absolutely massive nutrition upkeep
2) You can't tell them which target while mounted, they kick off their rider
3) They fire a lot

Now if you have a target rich environment and can just let the gallatross go to town? It's outstanding. Fortifications, armored pawns, anything just gets mowed over by their ranged attack. Put them in a group of aves mounted by rifle users and have them keep kiting around for great effect.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kris xK posted:

For Alpha Animals, how are you guys weapinizing the Raptor Prawns? I finally managed to tame one after several unfortunate (trader) deaths, but when a raid came it just moped around and got shot at. I had to send my precious Timber Wolves into harms way, which is not acceptable.

After a lot of attempts at trying to figure out how to trick the animal AI into not being completely useless when using the vanilla guard/attack routines, I've concluded that if you're gonna use pets offensively just use the Kill For Me mod, which lets you override their behavior with a semi-intelligent group AI that makes them gang up on their assigned target. Notably it has Alpha Animals/etc with ranged attacks stay at range and use their special attacks.

Also lots of options to avoid getting too overpowered too easily.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

silentsnack posted:

After a lot of attempts at trying to figure out how to trick the animal AI into not being completely useless when using the vanilla guard/attack routines, I've concluded that if you're gonna use pets offensively just use the Kill For Me mod, which lets you override their behavior with a semi-intelligent group AI that makes them gang up on their assigned target. Notably it has Alpha Animals/etc with ranged attacks stay at range and use their special attacks.

Seconding this, Kill for Me is fantastic. The one thing to keep in mind is that packs can only have one target at a time so if you have a lot of animals its definitely more optimal to put them in multiple groups so that you don't have 20 unite trying to kill one enemy at a time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 17, 2021

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Zore posted:

Seconding this, Kill for Me is fantastic. The one thing to keep in mind is that packs can only have one target at a time so if you have a lot of animals its definitely more optimal to put them in multiple groups so that you don't have 20 unite trying to kill one enemy at a time.

Ok sweet Ill try that out.

HelloSailorSign posted:

If they're not trainable, then use Giddy Up! mod and its various offshoots, then stick an armored out melee pawn on top and have them ride it into battle.

Note that using a taming inspiration on a Gallatross is extremely tempting, however:
1) They have absolutely massive nutrition upkeep
2) You can't tell them which target while mounted, they kick off their rider
3) They fire a lot

Now if you have a target rich environment and can just let the gallatross go to town? It's outstanding. Fortifications, armored pawns, anything just gets mowed over by their ranged attack. Put them in a group of aves mounted by rifle users and have them keep kiting around for great effect.

Well poo poo, now I've got to try this

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I’ve got a gallatross I’ve been using on settlement raids that doesn’t do all that well when everyone is rushing to position, but once there are clusters of enemies it’s just BANG BANG, and it makes super short work of turrets too.

Luckily I only got moderate wounds to 1 pawn and their mount when the gallatross was firing wildly at rushing melee and I didn’t move in time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Looks like love CAN bloom, even on a battlefield

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Sedioff is gonna have a bad day if that centipede doesn’t get stunned ASAP

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
That picture is giving me major anxiety.

Although, if the mech blows the mortar shells, the roof should collapse... Does that extinguish fires underneath it?

Edit nvm, it's too close to the other wall.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Look, I think we can all agree that engaging a Centipede at range, without cover, while standing next to all your explosives is certainly a strategy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So my courtyard is the one place in the map that doesn't have defenses and the mechanoids drop podded in. I had the nearby colonists get into a hasty and not well thought out position before the pod opened up and I saw it was a centipede - in fact, the pod opening up coincided almost perfectly with the marriage proposal. Luckily it was just one enemy because they hosed up and scattered the pods.

Things turned out okay, though! No injuries even. The one inferno cannon shot it got off before it died missed and lit the ammo stockpile on fire but the firefoam engaged and put it out.

I think this is the first time I had a fight in the courtyard in a 15 year old colony so I never had anything prepared there.

edit: I guess thinking you're about to get exploded is the best time to confess your love though

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2021

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
how'd it go, don't keep us in suspense

e: :hai:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
That doesn't sound very Rinworld-esque

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

:sickos:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Here's my courtyard-what-has-all-the-explosive-poo poo-in-it:

Here's my whole fort:

I have something resembling prepared defenses everywhere but the courtyard, which had never been attacked before.

I'm going to build a uranium wall with plasteel autodoors around my ammo stockpile and put some barricades around I guess? Not sure if it's worth putting any turrets in there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BattleMaster posted:

I have something resembling prepared defenses everywhere but the courtyard, which had never been attacked before.
I get twitchy if I don't have internal barrier squares with line of fire to every single wall in my compound. You never know where the next group of sappers is gonna come in!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If something lands in there you are probably better off waiting for it to leave or blow itself up.

But yeah you probably want to put a barrier around it for that reason.

Also you might consider maybe... not putting all of the explosives in the same place and also next to the mortars? You could put a stack of each nearby but maybe keep the rest somewhere else, if nothing else just so that if you do end up with them exploding you don't lose all of them.

I would say if you have a mountain map then put the main stockpile underground but I guess for that sort of base you might be better just putting them in a heavily walled building outside the main compound with a connecting corridor. That's probably the closest you can get in rimworld to a traditional fortress magazine design where it would often be buried and buried outside the fort so if it explodes it doesn't damage the defences.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Also you might consider maybe... not putting all of the explosives in the same place and also next to the mortars?

Where's the fun in that? In this base I trust in God, firefoam, and preemptive counter battery fire.

One of the areas I mined out has some overhead mountain in it so I am going to stick the unstable power cells there. But with uranium walls around the fuel and ammo stockpiles and nothing else particularly valuable near them, a lucky hit that cooks either of them off shouldn't really compromise my defenses.

I mean, sucks for my mortar crews I guess, but they're the least valuable colonists and I'd rather have maximum rate of fire than maximum safety

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Is there still a straightforward load order sorter of some form? Didn't see any popular ones any more or any UI options, and it's a lot to go through manually. Could just be blind and missed it, though - I've been away a while.
(I know automated load order sorting is not always ideal, but for a starting point so it's one or two adjustments for stability instead of one or two hundred.)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Is there still a straightforward load order sorter of some form? Didn't see any popular ones any more or any UI options, and it's a lot to go through manually. Could just be blind and missed it, though - I've been away a while.
(I know automated load order sorting is not always ideal, but for a starting point so it's one or two adjustments for stability instead of one or two hundred.)

RimPy if you copy the db file from of the steam workshop and dump it in the right folder

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

One of the areas I mined out has some overhead mountain in it so I am going to stick the unstable power cells

A slight issue with this is that if you are not on a mountain map, this will cause insects to spawn repeatedly in the one place because it is the only valid spawn point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Looks like love CAN bloom, even on a battlefield

Magazines exist for a reason. A few extra squares to run through an open door is a small price to pay for not getting vaporized by a stray shot or mortar round.

OwlFancier posted:

If something lands in there you are probably better off waiting for it to leave or blow itself up.

But yeah you probably want to put a barrier around it for that reason.

Also you might consider maybe... not putting all of the explosives in the same place and also next to the mortars? You could put a stack of each nearby but maybe keep the rest somewhere else, if nothing else just so that if you do end up with them exploding you don't lose all of them.

I would say if you have a mountain map then put the main stockpile underground but I guess for that sort of base you might be better just putting them in a heavily walled building outside the main compound with a connecting corridor. That's probably the closest you can get in rimworld to a traditional fortress magazine design where it would often be buried and buried outside the fort so if it explodes it doesn't damage the defences.

Listen to OwlFancier. Given Rimworld mechanics, a double-thick stone wall with some doors would do the jog. Go go John Madden:

I actually don't remember if pawns can walk through from the bottom row of mortars or not. It looks like they're in a 6x2 formation with no gaps, and it's been a while since I played.

edit: I should add that the doors can be upgrade to autodoors later for extra security, and that rimworld does model the cone-shaped blast shaping when an explosion goes through a 1-square space.

Nobu didn't move out of the gun port fast enough, so you can see how the blast is shaped.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 17, 2021

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is there a mod where when you force your pawns to rest with the plague/malaria that they actually rest? Or do you just have to put food and entertainment nearby when they inevitably get up even when you set them to bed rest and force sleep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Medical tending is also basically the nursing job, so they will bring people food and stuff. But if there is nobody available they will eventually sort themselves out and sometimes yeah they will just be arsey about it.

Your other option for the critically ill is actually to just anesthetise them. This keeps them in bed for a while and also makes them a bit happier because the anasthetic gets them high. I think you can do it with just a bit of herbal medicine. Good idea for sick or sad people generally, just shoot them full of drugs and make them go to sleep and hopefully fix the problem before they wake up. If nothing else whatever they are unhappy about will continue to count down while they are unconscious and they can't go crazy while out of it.

For entertainment though you can put a TV in the hospital and they can watch it from their beds if they are in range.

You could also try restricting their permitted zone to the hospital, which should make all food or joy items outside invalid unless they have a mental break.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 17, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Doltos posted:

Is there a mod where when you force your pawns to rest with the plague/malaria that they actually rest? Or do you just have to put food and entertainment nearby when they inevitably get up even when you set them to bed rest and force sleep.

Enable the "Patient" job and set it as the highest priority on everyone, so they go to a medical bed and get tended when they're sick or bleeding. Also if you want them to stay in bed set "Bed Rest" above their usual work routine so that they stay in bed until they're healthy again, rather than getting up to go work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do that too if you haven't yeah because it does help them go to hospital when they are wounded and to bed if they are sick, but it won't stop them getting up for food or recreation super reliably unfortunately, they will go play pool until they die of plague because they're just like that unless you knock them out, rimworld is full of people with very poor emotional and mental adjustment.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

A slight issue with this is that if you are not on a mountain map, this will cause insects to spawn repeatedly in the one place because it is the only valid spawn point.

How does that work? I've only ever had bugs spawn because my drilling angered them. I've heard of bugs showing up in mountains but I've just plain never had it happen before because I like to build on plains.

Also, this run is the first time I've ever ran out of stone. I had to drill for stone just to keep building stuff. Screw plasteel, I somehow have like 10k of the stuff. Just give me rocks

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I wish my pawns were half as careless as yours, to be honest. My melee guys are wearing state of the art powered armor that protects them from drat near everything. But every single raid one of them will get a mild bruise and go sulk in bed for the remainder of the day and most of the next because it's not 100% healed yet.

Now I'm wondering if there's a mod out there that rewrites the medical system so you can make mostly-healed pawns get up and do their drat job without going in to manually gently caress with their "rest in bed" priorities. A mild bruise shouldn't keep someone from sitting at a research bench in a masterwork chair.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

yeah if you're running real close to the line, anesthetizing someone can maximize the immunity gain benefit from being in a hospital bed.
keeping addicts in a medical coma til their withdrawal sorts itself out also works pretty well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BattleMaster posted:

How does that work? I've only ever had bugs spawn because my drilling angered them. I've heard of bugs showing up in mountains but I've just plain never had it happen before because I like to build on plains.

Also, this run is the first time I've ever ran out of stone. I had to drill for stone just to keep building stuff. Screw plasteel, I somehow have like 10k of the stuff. Just give me rocks

So hills/mountains have a special kind of roof further in called 'overhead mountain' which will drop rocks on you if the roof is unsupported. Insect infestations can spawn on any tile that's under an overhead mountain roof like any other raid if you meet a few conditions. High light level makes it more unlikely they spawn but the only way to guarantee they won't is to either have every overhead mountain tile at least 30 tiles away from any structure or have all the overhead mountain tiles be under 0 degrees F which prevents them from spawning.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Oops so my ancient danger was embedded in a mountain, so then I got an infestation and they busted the wall down and a giant bugs vs mechs battle ensued

Then, while I was busy dealing with the bugs that came out at my settlement rather than going after the mechs, apparently the fight busted open the caskets, so then it was bugs vs mechs vs frozen guys, without my even being aware of it for a minute

Ultimately I just had to kill like two or three bugs, the rest all took care of each other, except for one single incapacitated frozen lady I managed to capture and keep from bleeding out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:eyepop: that's some crazy combination of good and bad luck that cancelled out right here.

I lucked out and my ancient danger was a few bugs, all of the pods only contained humans, and all six of the live humans were friendly. One of them immediately hauled rear end off the map (as much as you can in a cryptosleep daze), a couple chose to leave when they recovered from their injuries, and I think three wanted to join.

I never turn anyone away if they ask or exile anyone and so far it hasn't bit me in the rear end yet, except that one of the ancient soldiers has an annoying voice and had a disfigured face so no one liked her, but she was a very good melee fighter and keeps ending social fights with the other person bleeding on the ground lmao.

Zore posted:

So hills/mountains have a special kind of roof further in called 'overhead mountain' which will drop rocks on you if the roof is unsupported. Insect infestations can spawn on any tile that's under an overhead mountain roof like any other raid if you meet a few conditions. High light level makes it more unlikely they spawn but the only way to guarantee they won't is to either have every overhead mountain tile at least 30 tiles away from any structure or have all the overhead mountain tiles be under 0 degrees F which prevents them from spawning.

Thanks. I'm probably screwed already since the place I put the cells in was already much less than 30 tiles from several things I had already built. It was about 5 from my outer wall on one side, 10 from my warehouse on the other, and about 15 from my front gate on yet another side :V

Plus I have one tile of overhead mountain in my barn and several in my warehouse from when I bulldozed rock while building, and because I was building while digging I was never aware of that before.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

For entertainment though you can put a TV in the hospital and they can watch it from their beds if they are in range.
Wait, really? I've always thought about doing that just for aesthetic purposes, because I would want a TV to watch if I was in the hospital, but I didn't think it would actually work so I didn't do it. Now I gotta do it!

Also, here's my mortar setup:

That's a Tall Shelf so it's holding 100 shells, everything's roofed in except for gaps for the mortars themselves, that's an autodoor so they don't lose time for going through a stone door, and it's lit so nobody gets whiny about being in the dark. I tried it with walls between the two rows, but that broke up the light too much. I think they're far enough apart to avoid a chain reaction, and even if they do, it'll only be two of 'em.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Can you control characters separately in multiplayer? Like, player 1 has character A. I tried multi and it doesn't really work so great

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CapnAndy posted:

Wait, really? I've always thought about doing that just for aesthetic purposes, because I would want a TV to watch if I was in the hospital, but I didn't think it would actually work so I didn't do it. Now I gotta do it!
a TV can be used from bed, so yeah it will keep someone who's recuperating in bed and save other pawns the trouble of visiting to cheer the pawn up (as much, recreation tolerances mean that it'll still happen for long stays).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

a TV can be used from bed, so yeah it will keep someone who's recuperating in bed and save other pawns the trouble of visiting to cheer the pawn up (as much, recreation tolerances mean that it'll still happen for long stays).
Do they have to be facing the TV or will just being in its zone of effect work?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Yeah that’s when, “Administer beer” becomes useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Do they have to be facing the TV or will just being in its zone of effect work?

As long as the pillow part of the bed is in the area you're good.