Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

"we really need you"

Interviewed another GM today whose company transferred him to a store where he doesn't speak the local language and left him there for 2 years.

vvv Shady bosses here like to hire recent immigrants who don't know their legal rights and might even depend on their job to get PR.

I've spent the past year poaching hotel/fine/casual talent into my QSR business in exchange for higher pay and benefits, less hours, and no emotional abuse. I think the sector's gonna be in big trouble once we re-open.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

evilpicard posted:

"we really need you"

Interviewed another GM today whose company transferred him to a store where he doesn't speak the local language and left him there for 2 years.

What the gently caress? Why would you agree to that?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm going to do the last one just because it's a favor for an old coworker who means the world to me, but yeah after that they can lose my number.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm going to do the last one just because it's a favor for an old coworker who means the world to me, but yeah after that they can lose my number.

Just one last time, that's it, I swear

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Favor for a friend is different than a favor for a former employer. I assume this favor is for someone who is an employee of the restaurant, not an owner or manager.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If they need you that bad I'm sure they would be willing to buy shoes for you.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

It won't be the last one, if you meant the world to them they wouldn't ask you to do this, they won't lose your number.

Don't buy shoes so that the bleeding feet remind you of the warnings literally anyone would yell at you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I say do it on the condition they buy you new shoes, and don't get $25 shoes, those have to be terrible shoes.

They want you to work they have to buy you ultra top of the line shoes, something that costs over $100 at the very least.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

For the glory. But I do have my own wine list for the first time! Second to last order arrived today. Just drowning in smallwares and tea and coffee and linens and dishwashers and electricians and plumbers and refrigeration repair and

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Naelyan posted:

NO gently caress WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN

Real answer, anything easy and vegetable is probably a good call. Get people peeling potatoes or chopping up lettuce/tomato/cucumber for salad or peeling hard boiled eggs for egg and potato salad, poo poo like that. The pierogies was a great call, anything else that just needs to be assembled (sandwiches, pizzas). Also snacks: take any food you didn't use for a meal, cut it up smaller, put it on a stick. People loving love that poo poo. Chicken caesar salad sticks, caprese salad skewers, meat skewers that even if they've been cooked already, just throw them on a grill for a minute.

Veggies that need a bit of hand prep are great for this. Keeping a half dozen people occupied for an hour or two sitting on the porch snapping green beans, cutting up apples, pitting cherries, cutting corn off the cob; that sort of stuff. It's easy enough that talking while doing it won't hurt anyone, and the effort to turn the result into something tasty is super minimal.

My grandma's verison was making all us kids go pick mulberries to get us out of her hair for a while, then she'd make mulberry rhubarb crisp out of whatever we managed to not eat and bring back.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/restaurant-rehiring-pandemic-jobs-1.6058110

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skooms posted:

Opening a restaurant in Manhattan.... in two weeks. pray for me.

why do you hate yourself

e: oh wait, this is the restaurant thread, nvm

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ughhhh posted:

So I spent a weekend cooking for about 50 people in the farm I am working at (we had a big work party). Every thing went great cooking 3 meals a day for 3 days straight. One issue that came up was people wanted to help with cooking and prep work and due to the size of the space I had to work with and my menu plan I couldn't really plug people in. I did organize a pierogi making day where I had a bunch of people filling up pierogi's as dinner prep and that was hugely popular (people got to sit and talk to each other while working with their hands and making food for each other).

I was wonder if any of you fine folk had any suggestions to include others into the workflow or recipes that could work well with communal work? There should be another work party coming up later in the summer that I have to plan for.

Not a professional cook, but I’m a member of an outdoors club thats run entirely off volunteer labor & ran the kitchen + cooked a pretty decent amount of workday meals for 60-120 people. Generally one or two of the workday helpers were good cooks but for the most part volunteers generally knew one end of the knife from the other and that was it. Some stuff I found that worked for me:

Try to plan stuff that’s easy to execute and easy to serve. Bolognese with a salad, roast chicken thighs + garlic + shallots that you can just toss in a big hotel pan and roast off etc. Makes it easier for volunteers to actually help, easier service means hungry workers get served faster, easier everything means less stress for you and volunteers having a fun time. K.I.S.S.

Volunteers means you get what you get. Do your best and don’t freak out too hard if you get in the weeds, you want everyone having a fun time either way. You can do some workarounds that really help though - for example if you want a particular dice or cut, show the volunteer how you want it and then leave them a small sample bowl for visual reference. You still might get something you weren’t expecting, but it’ll generally be closer to what you’d like.

Avoid too many steps unless you have a super solid plan around the rest of the meal. Succotash with fava beans from scratch was a mistake. Nopale salad with 40# of fresh nopales from scratch was an even bigger mistake. But sometimes even something like shishkebabs can be tough to pull off if you don’t calculate all the prep time you need (remember, working with volunteers!) and if you don’t have the grill space, etc.

Avoid by all means poo poo like mandolins. Just loving don’t. We once had one volunteer (not at one of my workday meals!) stick their hand down the robocoupe to make sure to get that last bit of red cabbage and added some finger to the batch. Volunteers are DUMB sometimes, and some volunteers are dumb ALL the time. Keep an eye on who is using immersion blenders, food processors, etc and make sure they’re doing so safely. And no mandolins. No mandolins ever.

Some good meals I can think of:

bolognese + pasta + salad. Could probably do a seitan version for vegetarians

Chicken thighs + whole garlic cloves + whole shallots + rosemary. Toss it all together and roast it

Open face croque monsieur/madame + salad. You can assemble then cook them all off on sheet pans assuming you have the oven space.

Braised short ribs + root veg in cold months assuming you have the time you need.

Lots of braises for that matter, cause you can assemble them pretty quick and throw them in the oven in foil covered hotel pans and mostly forget about them. Pork/chicken chili verde is another good one.

Desserts - try to think of stuff that’s either easily batched or that you can bake in sheet or hotel pans. Linzertorte, for example, is actually not that hard to pull off if you do it in sheet pans.

I can’t tell if you are already a professional cook or not; apologies if I’m explaining anything you already know, but if you aren’t then get used to cooking & planning by weight. 60 farm workers don’t need a chicken thigh each, they probably need 6-8 oz of chicken each (probably more if they’re working super hard and busting rear end on the farm), and they’ll need more like 10-12 oz if it’s bone-in, so 35-40 lbs of bone-in chicken for 60 ppl. You don’t need a 1/2 cup of green beans and garlic for each person you need 3-4 oz, so like 10-12 lbs of beans for 60 ppl. My numbers are probably off but there are plenty of food estimation sites out there. I was cooking for a bunch of construction guys who’d bitch and moan if there wasn’t enough meat but you’ll figure out what your people eat.

Either way it’s a hell of a lot easier to plan & shop for a meal of that size by weight.

Hope some of this was helpful!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Crushed a 2 day tasting marathon for an exec. pastry chef position after not being in a proper kitchen since March of last year.

Fingers crossed I'll get the call back.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Long shot, but if any line cooks/chefs are in the Austin area and looking for a place, I want to give a very heartfelt pitch for my old restaurant. It was fantastic for a ton of reasons, and I only left because my wife and I moved to Denver.

The Restaurant: Old Thousand Dope Chinese. Modern Chinese/Asian fusion with two locations. E. 11th St. and Burnet Rd. Oak-smoked brisket fried rice is the main dish, to give you an idea of the food. Legit great, and I applied originally because I ate there all the time.

They continued to do great through takeout/delivery in the early pandemic, enough so to keep moving forward with the already planned second location. They've continued to crush it, and are struggling to keep up with demand like a number of other places.

The people you'd be working with:

Ben Cachila - Owner. First generation born in the US to Chinese immigrants. Incredibly kind, chill and passionate about food. Former chef, but now stays very much out of the way of the chefs at OT so they can flourish while he tanks all things business. When I left, he called up some people he knew in Denver and got me hooked up, as well as giving me a VERY generous gift card to the nicest knife shop in town. Very active in Asian American causes in Austin. I cannot say enough about how much I like this guy. When the pandemic first hit and stuff was shutting down, he immediately got us on a program to feed meals to out of work service industry folks. We did hundreds of meals free, you just had to show up.

Jeff Brown - Executive Chef. Lived in China for a while. Great with food, but even greater with just working overall. Super quiet, super skilled, but even as the exec is the guy who stops what he's doing to help dish, or grab water for the line, or bail out fry, whatever. Literally anything he can do to help, he will. Hell, he is the one who pulls, soaks and cleans the hood vents because he doesn't want anyone else to have to. Runs ultra marathons for charity. Last year did a sponsored TWENTY FOUR HOUR RUN of over 100 miles, with all donations to charity.

Brendan Nomura - Sous Chef(?) at Burnet Rd. Runs effectively 100% of the kitchen at the Burnet Rd. location. Everything he touches is delicious. Hard worker, thrives in the restaurant environment, knows his poo poo back to front, exceptional musical taste, but more importantly, great human being. He took me, a spoiled, lazy, out of shape tech nerd, under his wing and made me so much better. He constantly lifts others up to help grow. He was the one who got me to start working on menu/special items. I don't know how to describe it, but he pushes people to grow, make/do/learn new things, but it doesn't ever feel like pushing. It's not a nagging "how are we doing on this thing you're supposed to be working on?". It's so organic, and he just manages to find something that you ARE legitimately interested in and excited to work on, and he kindles that. My experience would not have been the same there without him. Since I left, he has gotten two of our line cooks popups of their own, and is actively working to build their careers outside of the restaurant.

Dude cares about his people. When the pandemic hit and places were closing, he put in/approved a plan for closing down but acting as a 3 meal a day community kitchen for our staff/families. We were incredibly fortunate to successfully pivot to takeout/delivery, but dude was ready to take care of everyone.

Rhys Davis - Sous Chef at 11th St. Super cool, super nice, great hair. Constantly on top of new food trends, and gets super into new ideas. Has an unbelievable knack for knowing what the hot new ingredient is, and exactly how it can fit into a dish that fits the menu. Every day that I got to see Rhys was a good day.

I told them I'd give a plug for them here, and Brendan and Ben both wrote up some pitches. I wasn't expecting the ego-stroking, but I'll take it, and I think it shows how Brendan thinks/acts.

Note: It says $10/hr + Gratuity, and I can vouch that I never went below $20/hr on my paycheck, with $22 being the usual average, and by all accounts they are doing better now than when I left. Since I left they apparently worked out a cool deal with the hospital next to the Burnet location that is one of the main sources of customers. Medical care apparently!

I legit cannot recommend working here enough. If you or someone you know might be interested, just email brendan@oldthousandatx.com. You don't need to tell them I sent you, I am not interested in referral bonuses or anything, they just need you and I truly think that you'll love them.

BRENDAN’S POST:
DOOM ROSTER is a miracle cook. He joined our team without professional kitchen experience. We hired him because he came to us with a love for food. Our time together was brief, but somehow he became one of my favorite cooks of all time. He spent a decade in tech before his first cooking job with us, but he is chef minded in every sense, and I am honored to have been able to work with him. Unfortunately for us, DOOM ROOSTER moved to Colorado, but thank you for posting for me.

I am coming to your forum in desperation. The restaurant industry is completely depleted of labor. Typical means of offering jobs are devoid of audience and responses. I am hoping that I can find someone here that wants to work with our team. If you have ever had a dream of owning your own restaurant, or have been interested in the idea of becoming a chef, then I can promise you that I am devoted to helping you achieve that goal.

Promoting our restaurant, Old Thousand, is hard to do with the state of the world. Despite this our restaurant has been thriving, and has afforded us the opportunity to make donations to charitable causes, provide free meals to those in need, and have recently partnered with a network of doctors to offer an advanced medical assistance program for our group. Furthermore we are working to create a non-profit that will promote the advancement of fair treatment of both the restaurant and medical industries. Finding people within the food industry to help grow these ideas is immensely difficult. We are also a Chinese restaurant in Austin, Texas.

If you would consider me your potential chef, then I would promise you that I will work hard for your success. I am concerned for personal and community growth, complete use of food (animals died for you to eat so don’t waste that sacrifice), mental health, and getting good. Ultimately, I want to make good food and make people happy.

There likely is not another snowflake as special as DOOM ROOSTER; he is great with food, a quality person, and someone that I quickly felt that I could call my friend. I don’t expect to find another DOOM ROOSTER, but what I am hoping to find is someone who might be interested in working towards a dream. Do you love food? Can you work hard? Are you honest? Can you work with a team? Can you think critically and accept feedback? These are some of the qualities of a DOOM ROOSTER.

Wanna come work with us?
brendan@oldthousandatx.com

DOOM ROOSTER>Chad

"Better U
+ Better Me
= Better Us"
- An Everyone Culture

BEN’S POST:

Dear Beautiful Humans,

As we inch closer to a new era for our dining space, we want to reach out to you as our community, in hopes of expanding our family to better welcome our patient, but ready, guests for dine-in service.

A little about us:

We are earnest about a sense of play with food, beverage and community. We encourage everyone to fully embrace their “weird”.
We see work as a means for personal growth. Nothing would make us happier than to be part of that human growth journey with you.
We will continue to cultivate a place where our people wake up inspired, feel safe while they are there, and end the day fulfilled by the work they do.
Weaknesses are our strengths, errors are our opportunities- and we strive to approach collective challenges with understanding and grace.
We ask our teams to hold us accountable to these things.
Our internal community is also part of our local community, so if you or anyone you recommend is hired by Old Thousand, we will make a $100 donation in your name to a local cause that is important to you.
Additionally, as a thank you for helping us build the crew, we will be extending a $100 gift card to the restaurant if you are able to connect us with someone who becomes a member of our team.
Looking forward to serving you in our dining rooms soon!
POST CAPTION:
We are hiring cooks and front-of-house team members!

Front Team- Base $8 + Gratuity ~ $25-$30 /hr
Line Cooks- Base $10 + Gratuity ~ $20-$25 /hr
Employee Wellness Programs
100% Physicians Care Coverage for Part-Time 20hrs
Healthshare Programs Available
Other Wellness Programs

info@oldthousandatx.com

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Nah

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
If I was in Austin that sounds like it would be Rad.

I ended up deciding against the Key/Manager position for a number of reasons, not least of all is I’m making more bartending 4 days a week. Also I failed the personality test because I’m “too cooperative and too laid back” lol. Our GM told me to retake the test and he’d just rubber stamp it but nah, I think I’m good on that.

We just had our FOH manager fire a server last night. She was about to be cut (open/double to volume and her last table had just cashed out) and he told her to take a 12 top. She said no, because she’d been there all day and there were other servers that could do it no problem. She told him to write her up, that was fine - she needed to go home. So he fired her. We do not have the staff for this.

He came to me later and said “yeah, I was just going to write her up and it was fine. But the more I thought about it the angrier I got so I fired her.” Dude should never have been made a manager.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have familiarity with Wypall products? I'm trying to track down the white square wypalls that come wrapped in plastic, they're what I've used in the past for folding plate wipes. All I see so far are the kleenex like boxes.

Edit: Okay just figured it out - Wypall L40

Skooms fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 17, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

He came to me later and said “yeah, I was just going to write her up and it was fine. But the more I thought about it the angrier I got so I fired her.” Dude should never have been made a manager.

Sounds like a FOH manager. What an idiot. He could have asked her to be an extra pair of hands to get them started, she probably would have done it, she would have gone home, the other server would have made money, everyone’s happy. Instead these lead brains have to have a temper tantrum and then cry like giant babies that “no one wants to work anymore” a bloo bloo bloo bloo!!!

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Hutla posted:

Sounds like a FOH manager. What an idiot. He could have asked her to be an extra pair of hands to get them started, she probably would have done it, she would have gone home, the other server would have made money, everyone’s happy. Instead these lead brains have to have a temper tantrum and then cry like giant babies that “no one wants to work anymore” a bloo bloo bloo bloo!!!

“We’re cutting out the weeds! Getting rid of bad staff! We’re going to come back much better.”

We used to run 18 servers on a Friday/Saturday night. Now we’ve got 5. Maybe 6 if we’re lucky.
Most of the people have quit rather than be fired though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hutla posted:

It's never about hard work, work ethic, boot straps, or whatever millennial insult buzzword gets thrown about, it's about demanding absolute subservience and losing your loving mind the moment someone says "no" to a favor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doom Rooster posted:

Long shot, but if any line cooks/chefs are in the Austin area and looking for a place, I want to give a very heartfelt pitch for my old restaurant. It was fantastic for a ton of reasons, and I only left because my wife and I moved to Denver.

this was heart felt and it sucks that people are making GBS threads on it. I hope you find some good workers that can help u out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

this was heart felt and it sucks that people are making GBS threads on it. I hope you find some good workers that can help u out.

The only person who even kind of sort of approached making GBS threads on that post was me saying "nah", wth

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The only person who even kind of sort of approached making GBS threads on that post was me saying "nah", wth

Yeah I said if I was in Austin it sounds very much up my alley. I hope they find someone good, it sounds like a good place to work.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

have you ever talked to a line cook ever

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I was making GBS threads on Can’t Ride a Bus’s manager, not Doom Rooster’s friend.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The FOH manager quit mid-shift last night after having a meltdown in the middle of the restaurant over a customer refuting a ticket. We are already down to 6 total servers and they have had to put me in as a manager now because someone has to do it and I exist. How they expect the dyslexic to work out scheduling is beyond me, but sure this will go well.

Yes I'm already looking for another job. I'm slow, not dumb.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
After watching the owner of the place I work at tear into two teenage girl employees for the thousandth time last night, something broke in my brain and I walked out. I haven't done that since I was a teenager.

Stopped at a place on my way home and got hired on the spot :feelsgood:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

fizzymercury posted:

The FOH manager quit mid-shift last night after having a meltdown in the middle of the restaurant over a customer refuting a ticket. We are already down to 6 total servers and they have had to put me in as a manager now because someone has to do it and I exist. How they expect the dyslexic to work out scheduling is beyond me, but sure this will go well.

Delegate it to someone who's kind of a doormat but also reasonably organized. You can do that, you're a ~Manager~ now.

edit: That was intended to make fun of lovely managers, not to imply you were/will be one

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 19, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

Being a manager isn’t your job, simply do not do it.

I currently serve 5 days a week and manage 1 night a week. Next week my boss scheduled me for 2 managing shift and I told him in no uncertain terms that that was not allowed to happen again, and I would walk over it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah I told them I wasn't going to do any management anything because it's not a good fit for me. They told me do it or quit. I walked out immediately. Didn't even remember to leave my apron. I'm not going to ruin what I have left of my dignity failing to run your restaurant.

Never gonna stop being funny that owners think you'll just stick around when they give you the "option" to quit. Buddy this city is loving enormous and everyone wants to hire a server with experience right now. loving moron.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

Yeah I told them I wasn't going to do any management anything because it's not a good fit for me. They told me do it or quit. I walked out immediately. Didn't even remember to leave my apron. I'm not going to ruin what I have left of my dignity failing to run your restaurant.

Never gonna stop being funny that owners think you'll just stick around when they give you the "option" to quit. Buddy this city is loving enormous and everyone wants to hire a server with experience right now. loving moron.

It should astonish me that all of this happening is making restaurant owners and managers WORSE, but it doesn't.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It should astonish me that all of this happening is making restaurant owners and managers WORSE, but it doesn't.

It's really just this long term, slow motion trainwreck that's happening. A bunch of people have found their way to escape the service industry and the resulting pressure is forcing more and more of the remaining portion to escape as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alkydere posted:

It's really just this long term, slow motion trainwreck that's happening. A bunch of people have found their way to escape the service industry and the resulting pressure is forcing more and more of the remaining portion to escape as well.

That's what I mean. More and more people are leaving and things are harder, and owners/managers are responding to this by being even more overbearing, demanding, cruel, abusive and cheap. You'd think you would try to retain the people you have rather than telling them to gently caress themselves if they don't like the idea of being forced to do triple work, but alas.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The free market is speaking, and it's saying "gently caress you, pay people".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mllaneza posted:

The free market is speaking, and it's saying "gently caress you, pay people".

And the owners are saying "if you don't like it, quit" and "nobody wants to work anymore", in an alternating pattern.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's the same refrain it's ever been.

Nobody wants to work for them, for what they're grudgingly willing to shell out.

I've been out of the industry long enough to really get it at this point, if you want to pay me eight bucks an hour, you're going to get eight bucks an hour worth of work out of me; which is to say I'm gonna show up and maybe call the FD if the roof lights up.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

And the owners are saying "if you don't like it, quit" and "nobody wants to work anymore", in an alternating pattern.

And the Private equities firms backing the holding company continue to strip the copper out of the walls. Sorry you can’t see the writing on the wall, AGM FailSon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Liquid Communism posted:

It's the same refrain it's ever been.

Nobody wants to work for them, for what they're grudgingly willing to shell out.

I've been out of the industry long enough to really get it at this point, if you want to pay me eight bucks an hour, you're going to get eight bucks an hour worth of work out of me; which is to say I'm gonna show up and maybe call the FD if the roof lights up.

It’s not a labor shortage, it’s a pay shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

No you don't understand, people are just lazy and don't want to work.

*ducks*