Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It works like VA math.

The largest percentage is whole, the secondary is a percentage of the remainder, third is another level.

So if you have a 50%, a 20% and a 10%, you have 64%, not 80%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With AA you want reload speed magazine.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

IMO Fireproof 3 is one of the must haves of most any build. It's just that good.
As someone who used to get blown up all the time being to close to an exploding car, Fireproof 3 is indispensable. There's so much poo poo that blows up that I don't even notice any more because it does like 10-20% damage. One of the best perks since I saw the Angry Turtle video where he stands right next to an explosion and takes almost no damage. I thought it would be one of those perks where it says 45% but it actually meant like 4.5% after [RPG math]. Turns out it is 45% but like 90% actual.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Might get more bites in the NV thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439576

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CapnBry posted:

As someone who used to get blown up all the time being to close to an exploding car, Fireproof 3 is indispensable. There's so much poo poo that blows up that I don't even notice any more because it does like 10-20% damage. One of the best perks since I saw the Angry Turtle video where he stands right next to an explosion and takes almost no damage. I thought it would be one of those perks where it says 45% but it actually meant like 4.5% after [RPG math]. Turns out it is 45% but like 90% actual.

You pretty much start ignoring any of the suicide enemies and barely even notice the exploding ones in that particular DO modifier.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Whats good to save up for with the gold bullion? I noticed there's a double weekend on so I can turn in the 60 tickets I have over the next couple days. I'm usually stealth commando-ing but I have my second SPECIAL slot set as Heavy Guns for Queen fights etc.

I did today's OP solo and only missed elder by 30seconds, getting those bash-finishers to connect is frustrating - next time I might try getting a group of enemies down to 0 health and then swapping to a melee weapon so at least I can VATS-hit them.

The end boss of the OP (who I usually have problems with) didn't stand up to a few full clips from the TSE Rail, so I'll be keeping that in my pocket for just such occasions.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Whats good to save up for with the gold bullion? I noticed there's a double weekend on so I can turn in the 60 tickets I have over the next couple days. I'm usually stealth commando-ing but I have my second SPECIAL slot set as Heavy Guns for Queen fights etc.

I did today's OP solo and only missed elder by 30seconds, getting those bash-finishers to connect is frustrating - next time I might try getting a group of enemies down to 0 health and then swapping to a melee weapon so at least I can VATS-hit them.

The end boss of the OP (who I usually have problems with) didn't stand up to a few full clips from the TSE Rail, so I'll be keeping that in my pocket for just such occasions.

SS chest + rocket pack is what is usually recommended. If you have the rep the grocer and chemist mods for backpack are both good, gauss minigun + mods, gauss shotgun + mods, ammo maker, turbo fertilizer maker.

There is the power armor(T65?) too but that seems like a waste what with legendary PA coming out soon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fallout 4 complete mod, Fallout London has a launch trailer. It’s a bit cor blimey guv, but I’m interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-EQG0C1sM

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

As has been said, SS Chest + Jetpack. Additionally, you can skip most plans and aim for the good ones.

Buttressed for all limbs and the chest, Deep Pocketed as Misc. Ultra Light Build if you want to store them in your stash and save on space. Any Misc mod on SS can be skipped as you'll probably not want SS armor without a jetpack once you tried it.

quote:

For Resilient whatever, go heavy in PA, get a Vampire Minigun, slap a Shredder mod on it, leave your ammo at home and go hog wild. You'll be constantly healing and the Shredder mod counts as Melee. Spin it up and run everything down. ;)

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

There is the power armor(T65?) too but that seems like a waste what with legendary PA coming out soon.

I'm not so sure. T-65 is still the best overall PA set and the legendary modifiers people want are not of the DR, ER kind, so it's still worth it, imo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You buy the crafting plan with bullion, so do that but don't actually start crafting it until legendary PA goes live.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Isn’t there a new set coming with a % resist or something?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Isn’t there a new set coming with a % resist or something?

Hellcat PA, yes. 2% ballistic DR per piece, excluding the helmet as helmets can't be legendary.

Not sure that can be rerolled or if the 2% BDR carries over when you do.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Hellcat PA, yes. 2% ballistic DR per piece, excluding the helmet as helmets can't be legendary.

Not sure that can be rerolled or if the 2% BDR carries over when you do.

This seems strange to me because even the weakest power armor does great against ballistic damage. Am I missing something or is this not very useful?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Andenno posted:

This seems strange to me because even the weakest power armor does great against ballistic damage. Am I missing something or is this not very useful?
the flat 10% reduction for a full set of hellcat would (on paper) be better DR against ballistic weapons than the T65 set. it does suffer from lower energy and radiation resists, but those are made up easily through legendary perks

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

When I'm rolling PA/HW my regular use suit is a set of T-60, which is supposedly one of the weaker suits in terms of damage, but when you're talking about the DR of PA and the inherent flat damage reduction it's really not all that noticeable under most circumstances.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, it's situational.

The additional protection from the higher class PAs is very noticable during the DOs with deadly armor piercing attacks, cave crickets and during Encryptid. That's about it.

Basically, if you know the plans and use PA, there is no reason to not be in T-65 although ultimately it should be said that if your build is bad, no type of PA will make it any better or keep you alive for much longer.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just use T51B because I'm too lazy to grind for T65.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Fallout 4 complete mod, Fallout London has a launch trailer. It’s a bit cor blimey guv, but I’m interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-EQG0C1sM

looks cool, are there any plans yet for an english language version or is it all gibberish sci fi language?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I went for the Strangler Heart PA first instead of the T-65, though at the time I thought I had the ultracite carry weight mod plans, but I had Overdrive Servos, not Calibrated Shocks

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I could have swore that angry turtle showed there’s very little difference between PA armor ratings at high level?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I could have swore that angry turtle showed there’s very little difference between PA armor ratings at high level?
There's innate Damage Reduction (40%) and Radiation Reduction (90%) in all PAs. There's really not enough high damage enemies (although a Colonel Gutsy or Fog Crawlers can ruin your day), so everyone wants high damage output builds instead.

Hellcat -- especially combined with the new legendary effect "Overeater" (6% damage reduction when food/water are at max, stacks to 30%) -- will be the most damage soaking PA in the game if rolled correctly and paired with the two legendary perk cards to increase rad/energy resists.

By then nothing can even attempt to kill you besides DO Decryption enemies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I finished the main story in Fallout 4 (this is the first time I've done so with a Fallout game:toot:). I liked it, but it does feel very clunky, like all Fallout games I guess (people still can't open doors and there's no cutscenes). The graphics are fine but not groundbreaking, it almost looks like a ps3 game. The combat is awkward and all the enemies soak up bullets. It does have some nice locations (the glowing sea, Libertalia, Diamond City and Goodneihbour), interesting characters (it's a shame that Kellog never gets further development) and I actually liked the story.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 19, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I started Fallout 3 last night for the first time in a decade. Goddamn Moira running my rear end everywhere.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Alhazred posted:

So I finished the main story in Fallout 4 (this is the first time I've done so with a Fallout game:toot:). I liked it, but it does feel very clunky, like all Fallout games I guess. The graphics are fine but not groundbreaking, it almost looks like a ps3 game. The combat is awkward and all the enemies soak up bullets. It does have some nice locations (the glowing sea, Libertalia, Diamond City and Goodneihbour), interesting characters (it's a shame that Kellog never gets further development) and I actually liked the story.

i recommend survival mode if you want to try a run with less spongy enemies. it was probably the most fun i had with 4. the only problem with it is i have no idea how you can play anything other than a stealth character in it cause early game is super brutal with how often youll get oneshot by stuff like molotovs. also you can only save by sleeping in a bed so a mod that lets you save anywhere is a good idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ASenileAnimal posted:

also you can only save by sleeping in a bed so a mod that lets you save anywhere is a good idea.

That's another thing about this game. By now I'm so used to games saving for me that it took some getting used having to remember to save manually.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

do laser or plasma rifles ever get better in 76? i hit 40 on my rifle guy and they seem really underwhelming so far.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Plasma suffers from being dual-channel damage instead of all one type or another, so it really drops off vs tougher targets. There's a few exceptions but most enemies in FO76 have the same DR vs ballistic and energy.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

do laser or plasma rifles ever get better in 76?
Not really. Ballistic Damage Resistance and Energy Damage Resistance work very differently. Ballistic Damage Resistance has a mostly linear effect with a maximum of 50% reduction for enemies with very high Damage Resistance. Energy Damage Resistance has more of a logarithmic effect with a maximum of 75% reduction, so it provides 25-50% reduction even for enemies with relatively low Damage Resistance. As Taerkar points out, most enemies have equivalent Damage Resistance against Energy & Ballistic, so it's not like the difference in these reductions makes much sense.

You can learn more about the specifics from this video (fast-forwarded to the graph showing the difference between damage types):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ekxolurho&t=554s

It's a pretty big design problem that affects a fundamental part of the game's mechanics, and has gone unresolved since the game's release.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Been playing a bunch of Fallout 4 lately and despite bouncing hard the first couple times, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I legit think a big part of that is how amazing the dog AI is, both on purpose but moreso accidentally. I've had a couple ambushes go pear shaped because I was hiding behind a door waiting to pop out, only for Dogmeat to koolaid through it and start barking like "HEY LOOK ENEMIES". Also whenever I want to trade items with him, he starts gleefully running away because he thinks we're playing :kimchi: I'm also a big fan of standing behind cover waiting for an enemy to reload, and instead hearing them scream as Dogmeat bites their thigh giving me basically a full minute to waltz over and dome the guy. Just a perfect dog.

I wish there were more actually usable items when building a settlement, that's not really a huge deal but it feels like once you've got enough food, the other settlers are just kinda there. Eventually I'm just putting down guard posts because there's nothing better to assign people to. I'm also super grateful for the mod that lets you scrap everything so I can actually clean up a bit. Mind you the first thing I did was accidentally scrap my house in Sanctuary :cripes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Finished the scoreboard today. Now to play nuclear winter to death for two weeks.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Finished the scoreboard today. Now to play nuclear winter to death for two weeks.

I'm on rank 98, I want to get it polished off this week. Also I think I'm up to Level 198, be nice to get the next legendary slot opened up as well.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I finished mine a couple days ago and haven't played since. I guess the only thing really remaining is to grind for bullion or better rolls on legendaries which doesn't interest me very much. I'll probably pick it up again after the next patch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Found out punching balloons in the nuclear winter lobby gives XP. It's like, 18xp per balloon bunch you pop, not a whole lot of them around. Anything else besides playing instruments to do in there?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I just log on, dump scrip fodder and stockpile Legendary Modules.

This is how I found out that those things actually weigh something. Not much, mind you, but at .25 per module that sure adds up...

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Found out punching balloons in the nuclear winter lobby gives XP. It's like, 18xp per balloon bunch you pop, not a whole lot of them around. Anything else besides playing instruments to do in there?

I mean there's a decent amount of lore to explore. You can also do exercises.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm on rank 98, I want to get it polished off this week. Also I think I'm up to Level 198, be nice to get the next legendary slot opened up as well.

Level 201 (luckily caught a RR just as it started), scoreboard finished and maxed affinity with Foundation and the Raiders. A productive day!

Also I'm looking at today's OP 'invisible supermutants' and going Ehhh no not today thanks - with no VATS lock on I would have to do some actual work with my Handmade instead of leaning on the TSE Railway :o:

I also just had a new-ish lvl60 player discover the 120 plans I had in my shop, all manner of stuff for armor, weapons and recipes all priced to go at 25-50 caps a piece - I think he bought about half my stock, the cash register sound certainly grates after five minutes or so constantly going *ding*.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 23, 2021

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just hit 55 on my sneak hunting rifle guy and after using some heavy guns i never want to go back. even without all the perks maxed the gatling plasma just shreds everything. the 50cal machine gun and gatling gun are great too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Danaru posted:

Mind you the first thing I did was accidentally scrap my house in Sanctuary :cripes:

I thought about scrapping Shaun's crib, but I just couldn't. My Sole Survivor also still wears her wedding ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

be nice to get the next legendary slot opened up as well.

oh yeah I ummed and ahhed about what to slot in here, saw it was a Toxic Mutant day in OPs and decided on Funky Duds (and the second level star) - absolutely negates any poison damage in PA, you can stand in multiple clouds from a pile of bodies and not lose a tick of health. Not the best first choice for a card, but situationally very useful.