Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Red Crown posted:

That's so cool. How does one Become The Crisis?

Speaking of crises: I loved my first game, just as I was getting a little bored at ~2400 the Unbidden rolled in. But wow, the AI really can't hack crises:

My federation consisted of half the galaxy, the other half was muderbots (:awesomelon:) and a couple of fallen empires. Two small civilizations (~3 systems left) in the heart of muderbot space joined my federation. No, really, they were around 15 jumps deep, surrounded on all sides. They then voted for a proactive war to end the murderbot menace, leading to their untimely robotic deaths...instantly.

it's the central feature of the last DLC they put out. you score crisis points by doing various nefarious things and as you raise the crisis level you gain access to more tools to let you subjugate the galaxy. by the time i was about to finish the crisis project the Unbidden showed up and i was like "this galaxy is not yours to conquer" and punched their extra-dimensional teeth out of their mouth over the course of like a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

it's the central feature of the last DLC they put out. you score crisis points by doing various nefarious things and as you raise the crisis level you gain access to more tools to let you subjugate the galaxy. by the time i was about to finish the crisis project the Unbidden showed up and i was like "this galaxy is not yours to conquer" and punched their extra-dimensional teeth out of their mouth over the course of like a year or two.

Specifically, you start the chain by taking the "Become the Crisis" ascension perk.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Am I missing something or are void dwellers not allowed to upgrade their capital habitat?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The capital starts with the first upgrade.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Ms Adequate posted:

On Piracy, I think a good solution would be to first poach from the Wild Space mod so there are regions of the galaxy that are actually uninhabited, and then have pirates spawn out in those systems so you have wild border regions. Then you could decide on whether you defend by building starbases, sending patrols out, paying them $100 to gently caress off, etc., and the pirates themselves could have varied goals like raiding frontier worlds or just parking themselves on a trade route to suck up wealth then buggering off into the nebula once their holds are full (Viking CK2 style).

As it stands it is to me a far bigger 'tax' than admin cap or anything.

Is this how you honor the galaxy unmourned?

I just started a game with the Wild Space mod, I really love the idea of it. One aspect I miss of the old territory system was how you could end up with other empires' colonies in your space and vice versa. It's such a sci fi, or at least star trek, situation with lots of opportunity for fun event chains. The concept of mushy border regions or demilitarized zones between civs doesn't really exist in the base game and I wish it did.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

I just started a game with the Wild Space mod, I really love the idea of it. One aspect I miss of the old territory system was how you could end up with other empires' colonies in your space and vice versa. It's such a sci fi, or at least star trek, situation with lots of opportunity for fun event chains. The concept of mushy border regions or demilitarized zones between civs doesn't really exist in the base game and I wish it did.

What size galaxy and how many nations did you start with? I also want to get into Wild Space but for context I've only been able to get to endgame using small size vanilla galaxies with max (12) AI nations so there's actual drama; anything bigger has led to bad slowdown that just turns me off the game. With Wild Space straight up making portions of the map uncontrollable without big investment, and the mod recommending that you turn down the starting AI nation count, what settings have you found comfortable?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I was trying to go through the SW Fallen Republic mod but it's just not.. hitting for me. Wild Space may be just what I'm after, especially since it includes Gigastructural Engineering compatibility!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

toasterwarrior posted:

What size galaxy and how many nations did you start with? I also want to get into Wild Space but for context I've only been able to get to endgame using small size vanilla galaxies with max (12) AI nations so there's actual drama; anything bigger has led to bad slowdown that just turns me off the game. With Wild Space straight up making portions of the map uncontrollable without big investment, and the mod recommending that you turn down the starting AI nation count, what settings have you found comfortable?

Because you're essentially dealing with fewer planets (and thus fewer pops), Wild Space arguably lets you increase size settings just a touch, because you'll have a notable portion of the map not being used. The reason they suggest turning down AI counts is because, in order to ensure people can't get stranded in a single system in the middle of a nebula that would take extortionate amounts of Influence to expand from, a capital will override Wild Space up to a couple of jumps out. So maybe like, Medium size, stick with 12 AIs?

(An alternative might be to check out the Fatherland mod, which spawns new countries after galaxy generation is done, meaning their creation won't overwrite Wild Space territories)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

I feel like there's a good option for diplomacy in DMZs as a mechanic even. The idea that two nations set aside a number of border regions where they can't put fleets or starbases, monitor traffic in that space, and get violation of galactic law/CB penalties if they violate the DMZ. The idea mechanically being that it gives the defender in a "38th parallel" scenario the opportunity to move fleets into position/reach out to allies and establish defensive pacts because they saw the aggressor entering the DMZ.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

I feel like there's a good option for diplomacy in DMZs as a mechanic even. The idea that two nations set aside a number of border regions where they can't put fleets or starbases, monitor traffic in that space, and get violation of galactic law/CB penalties if they violate the DMZ. The idea mechanically being that it gives the defender in a "38th parallel" scenario the opportunity to move fleets into position/reach out to allies and establish defensive pacts because they saw the aggressor entering the DMZ.

I think this sort of thing also speaks to a broader issue in Stellaris, which is that generally, war goals aren't very interesting. They always boil down to either "take territory" or "humiliate", when so many more interesting options could exist. I would love to see Stellaris adopt EU4's system, where when demanding peace you can essentially build a custom peace deal, which might include concessions made by both sides if the war is inconclusive. Things like establishing a DMZ would be ideal for that sort of system and it would give so much more texture to the diplomacy in the game than just "spend influence to claim systems, declare war and take those systems"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I would love to see Stellaris adopt EU4's system, where when demanding peace you can essentially build a custom peace deal, which might include concessions made by both sides if the war is inconclusive.

Do megacorps have a wargoal to force another empire to open up for trade? Wargoals including things like one way research agreements, etc, would be cool too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Do megacorps have a wargoal to force another empire to open up for trade? Wargoals including things like one way research agreements, etc, would be cool too.
The way a lot of games work is that ending a war is basically a trade dialogue with "peace" as the main thing being traded.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this sort of thing also speaks to a broader issue in Stellaris, which is that generally, war goals aren't very interesting. They always boil down to either "take territory" or "humiliate", when so many more interesting options could exist. I would love to see Stellaris adopt EU4's system, where when demanding peace you can essentially build a custom peace deal, which might include concessions made by both sides if the war is inconclusive. Things like establishing a DMZ would be ideal for that sort of system and it would give so much more texture to the diplomacy in the game than just "spend influence to claim systems, declare war and take those systems"

Why I can't start liberation wars when I have "Unrestricted Wars" as my policy is weird to me. Sometimes I just want to enforce regime change to something a bit more friendly to federating with me (or just shut that stupid spiritualist up).

Building on this, why can't I attempt to broker a peace deal? In my current game, I just forced a government change with the goal of federating with a neighboring empire, but because they're at war with someone else I can't actually form a federation with them. I could declare war myself but there's no CB that would also end the war with my prospective ally.

In other news, I'm working on a small mod to try and make Gene Clinics and Cyto-Revitalization Centers worth building. I'm changing the Medical Worker to produce fewer amenities for more population growth, and adding special effects for exotic climate preferences like Void Dwellers. So for regular empires, the changes should help close the gap between biological and machine empires. For specials like Void Dwellers or Life-Seeded, they'll also help offset the penalty of the origin (by spending building slots and pop jobs). This was mostly inspired by the fact that you can't naturally prevent the Void Dwellers from getting the -60% penalty on non-habitat worlds even if you gene mod them to have a traditional climate preference. I'm hoping the price of having a Cyto Center and 4 pops employed in Medical is worth the bonuses.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
The new changes in the current dev update seem pretty nice. Especially the undead armies one. Getting the dread encampment from day one is nice, having a chance to turn enemy armies you've killed into an army on your side is kind of what I wanted with undead armies, and then there's this.

quote:

Finally, if an empire with Undead Armies defeats the Voidspawn or Tiyanki Matriarch, they can now resurrect them to fight in their own fleets!

Gonna go get me an undead Matriarch and let my new adorable undead space monster eat all the planets.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

toasterwarrior posted:

I went with a large galaxy with 12 civs, I usually play a medium with 12. I'm not very far into things but the galaxy is feeling a little too empty. I've got empire spawns on random, though, so maybe a bunch are all clustered together somewhere.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this sort of thing also speaks to a broader issue in Stellaris, which is that generally, war goals aren't very interesting. They always boil down to either "take territory" or "humiliate", when so many more interesting options could exist. I would love to see Stellaris adopt EU4's system, where when demanding peace you can essentially build a custom peace deal, which might include concessions made by both sides if the war is inconclusive.
If you use the ideology war goal, the AI will immediately adopt their old ideology as soon as the war is over.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Warmachine posted:

This was mostly inspired by the fact that you can't naturally prevent the Void Dwellers from getting the -60% penalty on non-habitat worlds even if you gene mod them to have a traditional climate preference.
Oh but you can - just select the orbital version without the pop growth penalty as the one you want to grow on the planet.

Similarly, if you gene mod pops already on a planet and select the orbital template you'll get the orbital version on the planet instead of the bad one.

These are "exploits", but ones hard to not do accidentally and have existed since void dwellers were introduced.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is there a mod that adds a way to i dunno... wheel n deal with your Federation partners so they agree to vote someone into the fed? there's a next door neighbor of mine that would be a perfect addition but the other guy in the fed just won't sign off on it and if there's a way to tell why i don't know what it is. i thought maybe favors could do it but no.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

uber_stoat posted:

is there a mod that adds a way to i dunno... wheel n deal with your Federation partners so they agree to vote someone into the fed? there's a next door neighbor of mine that would be a perfect addition but the other guy in the fed just won't sign off on it and if there's a way to tell why i don't know what it is. i thought maybe favors could do it but no.

Favors should be able to do it, but one thing you can try doing is changing the bylaws to make it a majority vote rather than a consensus one.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Declare war and vassalize the one you want in the federation, then release vassal.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Wild Space seems extremely up my alley, thanks for the recommendation. I’m loading it up to see if it’s good.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Open console, type "yesmen"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

And Tyler Too! posted:

Open console, type "yesmen"

cool, i've spent enough time with this thing that i'm not above cheating and these dummies are getting in the way of my rock people alliance against the hated meat people. three lithoids right next to each other and we all hate these belligerent humanoids but someone just won't get on board with the project.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Wild Space seems extremely up my alley, thanks for the recommendation. I’m loading it up to see if it’s good.

I like the look of Wild Space too, I think space terrain is something I've been missing. Hopefully it plays well with Guilli's and Gigastructures.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ShadowHawk posted:

If you use the ideology war goal, the AI will immediately adopt their old ideology as soon as the war is over.

Are you sure? I've never seen this happen. Not to mention that swapping ethics costs a lotta time and influence.

Anyway i once again need go express my love for the custodian crew. I love the stuff in the new dev diary.

Am i the only one thinking that necrophage hiveminds are gonna be stupidly good?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 18, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Yami Fenrir posted:

Are you sure? I've never seen this happen. Not to mention that swapping ethics cosrs a lotta time and influence.

Anyway i once again need go express ly love for the custodian crew. I love the stuff in thd new dev diary.

Am i the only one thinking that necrophage hiveminds are gonna be stupidly good?
I've seen it happen a couple times. Not always immediately, but within a few years - the AI will swap the ideology (embracing the old one) using the conditions they normally do, ie if they still have a large majority population in that faction.

Admittedly this doesn't always happen, but definitely can if you, say, try to spiritualize an empire full of synths. They just go back to materialist.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ShadowHawk posted:

I've seen it happen a couple times. Not always immediately, but within a few years - the AI will swap the ideology (embracing the old one) using the conditions they normally do, ie if they still have a large majority population in that faction.

Admittedly this doesn't always happen, but definitely can if you, say, try to spiritualize an empire full of synths. They just go back to materialist.

Well, to be fair what you really are doing that for is to immediately shove them into your federation.

It's far easier to keep people in one than it is to get one to join one, after all.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

uber_stoat posted:

cool, i've spent enough time with this thing that i'm not above cheating and these dummies are getting in the way of my rock people alliance against the hated meat people. three lithoids right next to each other and we all hate these belligerent humanoids but someone just won't get on board with the project.

Just as a heads up, some AIs will consider being in a federation with another empire they hate to be a dealbreaker; even if you force the issue via the console, the empire saying no may just leave your federation in response. Not guaranteed but I've seen it before.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I still can't believe there's no peace broker mechanic for emissaries

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Splicer posted:

I still can't believe there's no peace broker mechanic for emissaries

How would that work with existing mechanics? Start accelerating the war exhaustion counter to force status quo?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isndl posted:

How would that work with existing mechanics? Start accelerating the war exhaustion counter to force status quo?
Peace broker is maybe not the word I want. Some way to assign an emissary to improve two countries' opinions of each other.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

Peace broker is maybe not the word I want. Some way to assign an emissary to improve two countries' opinions of each other.

Also, it'd be nice to be able to make an empire hate another one than yours.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

Also, it'd be nice to be able to make an empire hate another one than yours.

Nemesis introduced a spy operation that lets you do this. I'm not sure its really all that useful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Oh but you can - just select the orbital version without the pop growth penalty as the one you want to grow on the planet.

Similarly, if you gene mod pops already on a planet and select the orbital template you'll get the orbital version on the planet instead of the bad one.

These are "exploits", but ones hard to not do accidentally and have existed since void dwellers were introduced.

Actually... I don't know if this works, but it shouldn't work. There's an event, "origins.1," that triggers every time a pop is added to a planet by any means:
code:
# A pop has been added to the planet
# Root = pop
# From = planet
on_pop_added = {
	events = {
		origin.1
	}
}
origin.1 checks two conditions to trigger:

code:
trigger = {
		OR = {
			AND = {
				has_trait = trait_pc_habitat_preference
				NOT = { has_trait = trait_void_dweller_1 }
				from = { is_planet_class = pc_habitat }
			}
			AND = {
				has_trait = trait_void_dweller_1
				from = {
					NOT = { is_planet_class = pc_habitat }
				}
			}
		}
	}
If either state returns true, the event assigns one of two traits to the pop. trait_void_dweller_1 is the good one and 2 is the bad one. This basically means that void dweller pops get checked for these traits when moving or growing, and have them added or removed as appropriate.

While you can gene mod the positive template onto your planetary pops, if they move again they'll regain the negative trait. I haven't tested the condition where you create a new template with a non-Habitat climate preference and without the negative trait. That might work to remove the penalty permanently at the cost of also losing the bonus. I need to test this case.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Warmachine posted:

Actually... I don't know if this works, but it shouldn't work. There's an event, "origins.1," that triggers every time a pop is added to a planet by any means:
code:
# A pop has been added to the planet
# Root = pop
# From = planet
on_pop_added = {
	events = {
		origin.1
	}
}
origin.1 checks two conditions to trigger:

code:
trigger = {
		OR = {
			AND = {
				from = { is_planet_class = pc_habitat }
			}
			AND = {
				has_trait = trait_void_dweller_1
				from = {
					NOT = { is_planet_class = pc_habitat }
				}
			}
		}
	}
If either state returns true, the event assigns one of two traits to the pop. trait_void_dweller_1 is the good one and 2 is the bad one. This basically means that void dweller pops get checked for these traits when moving or growing, and have them added or removed as appropriate.

While you can gene mod the positive template onto your planetary pops, if they move again they'll regain the negative trait. I haven't tested the condition where you create a new template with a non-Habitat climate preference and without the negative trait. That might work to remove the penalty permanently at the cost of also losing the bonus. I need to test this case.
Before they finish growing is when the pop growth stat is relevant. This trigger is at the wrong time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Before they finish growing is when the pop growth stat is relevant. This trigger is at the wrong time.

No it isn't? The trigger is deciding whether the pop gets a good or a bad trait.

I should mention this is the vanilla behavior. My change adds a check to the event to see if the planet the pop is added to has a fully staffed medical center. If there are 4 medical workers and the cyto center isn't disabled or destroyed, the event will treat that planet as if it was a habitat.

code:
limit = {
				from = {
                    #Check if the planet is a habitat or if the planet has 4 medical workers
                    OR = {     
                        is_planet_class = pc_habitat
                        AND = {
                            has_active_building = building_hospital
                            num_assigned_jobs = {
                                    job = healthcare
                                    value = 4
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
The AND statement is mine.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
He's saying that the trait is added after the pop is grown, when the penalty to growth no longer matters.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Not sure if it's intended but I keep starting in the nebulas in Wild Space and it's really annoying, because the nebula art and the galactic core's brightness both interfere with my ability to see jump lanes and where unexplored ones might lead. It is pretty unplayable. I'm going to investigate whether I can turn it off somehow now (the in-game option did nothing).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Staltran posted:

He's saying that the trait is added after the pop is grown, when the penalty to growth no longer matters.

Yeah, but if it's already on the pops on the planet it doesn't matter because it applies from them - it should work if they hadn't made it possible to gene mod it off

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Staltran posted:

Oh. Ok I get it.

You use pop controls such that the pop growth/assembly is put on the pops with the positive trait. This still requires an initial investment of gene modding to create the positive-trait pops on the planet and the use of migration controls which is especially onerous for Void Dwellers (micro gets out of control with how many habitats you spam).

Anyway, that's why I'm also buffing the Medical Worker job to be closer to what synth ascension/machine empires get with their roboticists. It won't be as good because of the different scaling bonuses, but the idea is to make the building/jobs desirable for empires that aren't taking synth ascension.