Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

What colors do people use for basecoat of caucasian flesh generally? i think i'm starting too light.

Citadel Bugman's Glow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

That looks awesome! I have the following printed out that I still need to paint: Horus, Leman Russ, Ferrus Manus, Vulkan, Perturabo, Sanguinius, Lion El'jonson, Magnus, Guilliman, Rogal Dorn, Mortarion, Lorgar

:negative:

I might do Rogal Dorn next, the paint scheme looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks! It's the only one I have painted, the rest are printed staring at me from the shelf. I can't wait to see how he does Jaghatai Khan, which should be the next one as he's going by the order they were found.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I use an extremely light pink (P3 carnal pink) and wash down with GW's Reikland Flesh Wash.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

What colors do people use for basecoat of caucasian flesh generally? i think i'm starting too light.

I use a black/red so I don't have to use reikland fleshade later.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Vallejo Beige Red.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks! I also just realized I'm doing my eyes out of order. they should probably be the first thing i do after priming. gah.

right now my eye strategy (done entirely with a 000 brush) is just just glop some white onto the eye, dry a line in black directly down from the brow to the cheek across the eye (hopefully centeredish), then cut back in with flesh to give it the proper shape. is there a better way to do this?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

thanks! I also just realized I'm doing my eyes out of order. they should probably be the first thing i do after priming. gah.

right now my eye strategy (done entirely with a 000 brush) is just just glop some white onto the eye, dry a line in black directly down from the brow to the cheek across the eye (hopefully centeredish), then cut back in with flesh to give it the proper shape. is there a better way to do this?
I did it like this before I embraced the power of the micron pen.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm open to that. is there a particular size you would recommend? is there a white version i could use too?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, still kinda new to this and got careless with some of my brushes which got all clotted with paint. I tested out nail polish remover on a spare and it seemed to work fine, is that an acceptable cleaner?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

I'm open to that. is there a particular size you would recommend? is there a white version i could use too?
I use a 0,15mm pen. It easy enough to make thicker lines with it, since the tip doesn't flex, so I went for the thinnest one I could get.
They do make colored ones, but they're thicker. That might not be a problem for filling in eyes though. I just paint the white in with some thick paint, so it doesn't run.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
What are the most important washes to have for minis in general? I have Nuln Oil which is what I've basically been using for everything, but I am going to pick up a couple more to round out my options. Is some kind of flesh toned wash good to have? Maybe a brown wash of some type?

Would love some thoughts on the 2-3 washes that would be most useful in addition to Nuln Oil (There's a local Warhammer store, so I'll be buying their stuff to narrow down brands)?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Black, brown, sepia. For Citadel that means Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, and Seraphim Sepia.

When people use a wash, it is almost always one of those three. Others have their use but are situationally and rarely used.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PotatoManJack posted:

What are the most important washes to have for minis in general? I have Nuln Oil which is what I've basically been using for everything, but I am going to pick up a couple more to round out my options. Is some kind of flesh toned wash good to have? Maybe a brown wash of some type?

Would love some thoughts on the 2-3 washes that would be most useful in addition to Nuln Oil (There's a local Warhammer store, so I'll be buying their stuff to narrow down brands)?

Yeah, a brown wash is useful as hell. Agrax Earthshade from GW is a nice versatile dark brown wash (I'd say brown-black). Dead useful for making things look naturally dirty and used, use to bring out woodgrain, and (as the name suggests) on ground cover. Seraphim Sepia is a much more niche wash, its a sepia wash, so sort of soft brown, much lighter than agrax. Useful for bone, parchment, sand and anything you think the agrax is too dark for. And a flesh wash is a good idea, yes. Reikland Fleshshade is the one I have.

If you have Nuln Oil, I'd say your priority list would run; Agrax Earthshade - Reikland Fleshshade - Anything else you like the sound of. As i say, I like their Sepia for a few things, but its a bit more niche use, but for my money still more versatile than say Drachenhof Nightshade or whatever.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Can anyone give me the rundown on retarders?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

First mini that I did more than basecoat on and that I didn’t immediately hate / strip and liked:

What exactly is the proper steps when you add a drybrush into the mix? I like the effect that the russ grey gave to the macragge blue and want to continue that going forward. So far my steps are:
Basecoat Macragge, Drybrush Russ, Other Basecoats (black, silver, red, gold, etc), fixing any runovers, shading between armor plates. One of the problems I ran into was when I fixed a runover with Macragge blue (such as red or shading) there was an obvious darker blue poking through. Do I just lightly drybrush the area again? Thanks

Edit: holy cow .15mm micron pens are the answer to my shading woes????

Double edit: wait I’ll follow this guy but replace the gold with red.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmUz4WmwaGc

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 18, 2021

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Can anyone give me the rundown on retarders?

Liquitex Slow-Dri at your local hobby store. dilute it with water at the ratio printed on the bottle, keep it in a squeeze bottle, and add a little bit to your paint when you need it to dry more slowly. Retarders are great for wet blending, avoiding tip dry in your airbrush, or in general having more of a grace period to fix mistakes with paints or washes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Geisladisk posted:

Black, brown, sepia. For Citadel that means Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, and Seraphim Sepia.

When people use a wash, it is almost always one of those three. Others have their use but are situationally and rarely used.

Entirely this. Those three color filters go for almost anything.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'd go with reikland fleshshade over the sepia if you plan on painting anything fleshy, but nuln oil and agrax are by far my most used as well.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

finished a 10mm watchtower

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Seraphim Sepia is also gorgeous over golds and brasses in addition to all the other great things it does.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, still kinda new to this and got careless with some of my brushes which got all clotted with paint. I tested out nail polish remover on a spare and it seemed to work fine, is that an acceptable cleaner?

If they're synthetic it's probably ok just don't get acetone on your minis. If they're natural brushes I probably wouldn't dunk them in nail polish remover.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

finished a 10mm watchtower

I love this. It probably makes a lot of sense to go extra bright for 10mm like you are.

StashAugustine posted:

probably ok for synthetic, but it will probably not be nice to natural ones. I don't think acetone is good for hair.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like the saturday morning cartoon look so much more than the grimdark blanchitsu look.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i just think it's nice to accept that they are toys and not super serious bad dudes

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Toebone posted:

I'd go with reikland fleshshade over the sepia if you plan on painting anything fleshy, but nuln oil and agrax are by far my most used as well.

Yeah, I use brown, black and fleshshade mostly when I do my tabletop quality paint jobs. I think browns or blacks don't work that well for flesh colours, as you want that extra red tint that fleshshade has. There's a risk that all colours just blend into each other if you go with just browns and black washes. I've used both army painter washes and GW washes and haven't noticed a huge difference.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Finished painting my first model ever. First model I've built in 15 years.

I got a bit sloppy in some places but overall I'm fairly happy with this. Need to touch up a few places still.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
As far as I know, nobody actually makes it so you have to roll your own but Payne’s Grey wash is magic. It’s a very dark cool blue grey and it shades nearly everything wonderfully.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a Goon mini-painting discord server? Or maybe a Goonhammer one?

Also, how far into a model (such as the heavier, metal infinity models) do I need to drill a hole to pin them, does the hole need to be exactly the same size as my pin, and will bits of paperclip work?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

even if you have no other interest in using inks or airbrushing or anything, a bottle of payne’s grey ink is absurdly useful.

i never bother to find different colours for shadow/midtone/highlight any more. I just find a nice midtone I like, then mix in payne’s grey to create a shadow, and vmc light flesh to create a highlight. creates a nice uniform effect of cool shadows and warm highlights when you use it for every colour on your mini.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wrr posted:

Is there a Goon mini-painting discord server? Or maybe a Goonhammer one?

Also, how far into a model (such as the heavier, metal infinity models) do I need to drill a hole to pin them, does the hole need to be exactly the same size as my pin, and will bits of paperclip work?

a 1mm drill bit is a perfect size to go with the standard cheap paper clips at any office store, and those paper clips work perfectly for pinning models in my experience

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eej posted:

If they're synthetic it's probably ok just don't get acetone on your minis. If they're natural brushes I probably wouldn't dunk them in nail polish remover.

I'm using Army Painter brushes which I think are synthetic? The one I cleaned dried really stiff, so I'm thinking I should stop being lazy and just get some real paint soap (any recommendations?)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Master’s brush soap is fantastic and a bar will last forever

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My jar of The Masters is actually about to run out.
After what is probably a decade and halfs usage by this point. :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

jesus WEP posted:

a 1mm drill bit is a perfect size to go with the standard cheap paper clips at any office store, and those paper clips work perfectly for pinning models in my experience

Yeah, don't buy brass rods or pinning kits, just get a box of assorted size paper clips, they're easier to work with and they have a ton of uses beyond pinning (and holding paper together).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've got a ton of paperclips already, so no problem there, but how deep into the model do I need to go? My instinct is... pretty deep.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deeper is better but even a little depth adds surface area to the glue bond.

It's ultimately going to depend on a lot of factors: how heavy the attached piece is, how much play it'll see, the materials involved, etc. If it holds after you pin it and paint it, it'll probably hold while you play.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pinning does two things. One being more surface area for glue to adhere to, the other is eliminating lateral stress on the glue bond. Ideally you'd want to go as deep as possible, but a fair amount of time I'm only able to get 3-4mm and it's been enough.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“as deep as you can without risk of distorting the model” is generally good advice, there’s not really any reason not to other than :effort: (which tbf is always a consideration)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

even if you have no other interest in using inks or airbrushing or anything, a bottle of payne’s grey ink is absurdly useful.

i never bother to find different colours for shadow/midtone/highlight any more. I just find a nice midtone I like, then mix in payne’s grey to create a shadow, and vmc light flesh to create a highlight. creates a nice uniform effect of cool shadows and warm highlights when you use it for every colour on your mini.

This is what I do and it works really well. And if you don't like light flesh, sunny skin tone for a more orangey highlight works really well. Basically any bright skin tone works well. AK Luminous Flesh is also another good one.

When I'm doing contrasts I just use payne's grey ink and contrast medium to lay down heavier shadows. The only problem I've run into is figuring out how to get better highlights with some of the more saturated contrasts. Thinning them and applying as glazes over a prepared undershading works alright, but it still doesn't look amazing. Really I just need to figure out how to highlight Flesh Tearer's Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
For the first time in 30 years, I have Space Marined.

He serves both a test of the color scheme for my epic scale marines, and an entry into my FLGS' paint-a-marine-in-a-non-standard-scheme contest.