Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SimonChris posted:

The Man of Steel (1986) #5

Always nice to see a sympathetic Bizarro portrayal.

"A robot! And we all know that they don't have any souls, so now I can kill him!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Infinitum posted:

"A robot! And we all know that they don't have any souls, so now I can kill him!"

Nice to see I'm not the only one who went there. Boy, if artificial intelligence actually ever achieves full personhood there's going to be a lot of stuff in previous fiction that comes off as the equivalent of blackface, isn't there?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Infinitum posted:

That was a plot point in Azzarelo's Lex Luthor miniseries. Lex creates a hero for Metropolis (who is secretly a robot) and then manufactures a conflict between her and Superman, who he knows will figure out that she's a robot and not hold back.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

muscles like this! posted:

That was a plot point in Azzarelo's Lex Luthor miniseries. Lex creates a hero for Metropolis (who is secretly a robot) and then manufactures a conflict between her and Superman, who he knows will figure out that she's a robot and not hold back.

Lex remotely detonates her, Superman doesn't out and out murder her.

The confrontation afterwards is great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, he still blasts a huge hole in her with his heat vision which is something he wouldn't do to a living thing to stop them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He had to stop her. She was going to consume all of Earth's old people medicine as fuel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Push El Burrito posted:

He had to stop her. She was going to consume all of Earth's old people medicine as fuel.

I understood that reference

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

It's their own fault for not having the proper insurance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Green Arrow 80th Anniversary Special: Here's the setup:

Ollie then gets attacked by a bunch of villains, then after beating them several heroes, which leads him to think it's all just a trick in his head... until an arrow cuts his arm.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Superman Red & Blue #4

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TwoPair posted:

Ollie then gets attacked by a bunch of villains, then after beating them several heroes, which leads him to think it's all just a trick in his head... until an arrow cuts his arm.

That the same guy who drew Quiver, or an amazing facsimile? Either way, whoever it is please draw Green Arrow forever.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I like how Ollie is actually trying to learn from his grief unlike most super heroes *ahemBATMANahem* who push it down and use it as some bullshit about why they are actually great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

That the same guy who drew Quiver, or an amazing facsimile? Either way, whoever it is please draw Green Arrow forever.

Phil Hester is amazing and I would almost call him the definitive Green Arrow artist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Phil Hester is amazing and I would almost call him the definitive Green Arrow artist.

Over Neal Adam’s?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Over Neal Adam’s?

I said almost!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Deadpool - Black, White, and Blood #2: the story starts with Deadpool fighting Wolverine before quickly stopping because the author finds it boring and pulls out to see writer/artist Daniel Warren Johnson experiencing writer's block and skipping through ideas for stories

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #4.

Supergirl has been travelling the galaxy with a young alien companion (who is also the narrator) on the trail of the man who murdered the kid's father. The bad dude has shacked up with a whole murderous posse who've left a wake of destruction that SG is following.
This issue is basically a montage of Kara helping various aliens pick up the pieces and deal with their trauma. I could post any scene from it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

"Hey, if you don't mind, I used my microscopic vision, superspeed and super memory recall" to run a DNA test on thousands of bodies and found your dead daughter" is such a Super-person thing to do and it's great

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #4.

I could post any scene from it.

The page where she's rowing back from the fight.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I always really like super-mundanity. As a little kid that's always what I thought I'd do if I got super powers. Use super speed to deliver pizzas or something.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SonicRulez posted:

I always really like super-mundanity. As a little kid that's always what I thought I'd do if I got super powers. Use super speed to deliver pizzas or something.

Yeah. Tom King really gets it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

Kate Pryde's phasing would be so useful back when I was a waiter and bartender (which she was for a while, but I think was incognito, so couldn't use it to walk through customers in her way).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know why Ratcatchers I and II were criminals when they could instead be the most successful exterminators in the world.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't know why Ratcatchers I and II were criminals when they could instead be the most successful exterminators in the world.

I don't want to get rid of rats I want to steal baubles!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Do not disparage Taika Waititi

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Eventually you're gonna need more money to help feed and look after all the new friends you've made, plus vet bills. Unless you make it a subscription service where places can pay for you to keep rats away from them while the rats hang out at your place.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Push El Burrito posted:

I don't want to get rid of rats I want to steal baubles!

Also a nasty heroin habit

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

A Returner's Magic Should be Special

thread only allows one frame but I had to walk away after this pic.

the smile looks forced as hell because... poo poo really sucks for them right now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

thread only allows one frame but I had to walk away after this pic.

Panels is a misnomer, we do full pages here more often than not feel free unless you're gonna post like half an issue.

Which is a long-winded way of saying "context, please?"

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I believe it's the manga panels thread in ADRTW that panicks when full pages are posted. You can go a bit longer here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, multiple page sequences are fine within reason, and context is always very welcome, because to me that just looks like a guy standing there and is not especially touching or inspiring.

As a refresher here's the pertinent stuff on posting panels from the rules thread:

How Wonderful! posted:

I want to set a few unspoken rules about the "Post <X> Panels" threads (mostly) down in here so there's a clear reference to point to--

1) manga panels are welcome in the Funny/Badass/Touching/Etc. Panels threads so long as they don't contain untagged NSFW or creepy stuff. Out of courtesy please keep in mind that most BSS readers may have less background knowledge about many mangas than they would about, say, Batman or the X-Men or From Hell or whatever, so consider thinking about if the panels you want to post make sense or have much impact to a complete newcomer to the text, and provide context accordingly.

Posts along the lines of "manga sucks," "reading right to left is bad," etc. are not productive and not welcome. Because they have been such a consistent issue across these threads, moving forwards they're going to warrant an immediate 12-hour probe.

Please do feel free to criticize individual scenes that you don't like or find incomprehensible or whatever, but blanket generalizations about an entire medium are as unwelcome in referring to Japanese comics as they would be about cape comics or Euro comics or newspaper comics or anything else. One of the cool things about this subforum is its potential to expose people who like one kind of comic to really diverse examples of the form, and that kind of extremely broad cultural dismissal is unhelpful.

2) Try to stick to seven consecutive pages as an upper limit for scans. I'm occasionally guilty of posting stuff that's way too long but in general moving forward treat anything above seven as really exceptional.

3) BSS has always been pretty "ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies" about where individual scans come from. Please, however, try not to have watermarks from scan sites out and out visible on stuff you post.

4) If at all possible, label your panels. Posting a mystery picture of Spider-Man getting hit in the dick with a boulder is worse than posting that picture and writing Incapacitated Spider-Man v.4 #33 underneath it. This helps people follow up on comics they might like to get into and also helps filter out dumb photoshops.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Manwha are hard because they are typically one long (20+ pages) vertical strip designed to be read as a stream-of-consciousness flow, and not traditional pages like western comics or manga.

But, yeah, Post the Context, Smash Mouth.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

In celebration of DIE's final trade paperback release, here's one of my favourite sequences from the series.

Issue #3, and Ash and her friends have been sucked back into the world of DIE, the malevolent roleplaying game they were trapped in as teenagers. DIE is divided into thematic realms that have their origin in the fiction that inspired rpgs, which are ruled by strange echoes of their creators.

The characters are currently trying to cross the front of the endless war between mechanised Eternal Prussia, and bucolic Little England, when Ash is separated from the group by an artillery strike.

(skipped a page here just so I don't post the whole thing)

anyway, DIE is great, it's finished and available in 4 trades, go read DIE

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 9, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

EVIL Gibson posted:

A Returner's Magic Should be Special

i thought this was rune soldier louie at first tbh

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In celebration of DIE's final trade paperback release, here's one of my favourite sequences from the series.

Issue #3, and Ash and her friends have been sucked back into the world of DIE, the malevolent roleplaying game they were trapped in as teenagers. DIE is divided into thematic realms that have their origin in the fiction that inspired rpgs, which are ruled by strange echoes of their creators.

The characters are currently trying to cross the front of the endless war between mechanised Eternal Prussia, and bucolic Little England, when Ash is separated from the group by an artillery strike.

(skipped a page here just so I don't post the whole thing)

anyway, DIE is great, it's finished and available in 4 trades, go read DIE

this owns

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 11, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Not to be a jerk about some good panels, but y'got a little :filez: on that last image.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's easier to share panels you like via piracy than trying to defeat the reader-app's anti-screenshotting, or break out a scanner for the physical copies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
perhaps you can spend 20 seconds opening the image in paint and cropping the piracy marker out before uploading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drakyn posted:

Not to be a jerk about some good panels, but y'got a little :filez: on that last image.
Good catch, let me edit that.

Elfface posted:

It's easier to share panels you like via piracy than trying to defeat the reader-app's anti-screenshotting, or break out a scanner for the physical copies.
Yeah to be clear, I own all the DIE trades, it was literally the easiest way to share that cool sequence.