Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That's like, such a perfect crystalized-in-amber fragment of Management Thought, I feel like it needs to be in a museum of deranged ideas or something.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
you wanna know how i got these scars conference room #3 booked for a 2 hour block?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

quote:

Take for just one example the moment during dinner when, as one boy is telling me about his ambitions to become a rock star, Baron looks up from his smartphone and says, apropos of nothing, “Yo, Hitler invented sex dolls.”

The room is overtaken by a gust of silence, while all the boys nod and chew stoically, a mute encouragement to go on. “That’s why they all have blond hair and blue eyes,” he says.

this is a deleted scene from zoolander

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I wish I could be in anything as much as influencers believe in tik tok conspiracy theories.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

They're trying to get people to forget they've been doing these loving meetings from home with no pants on.

And also that these meetings invite the possibility of getting infected with the Delta variant, a plain ol cold, or dying of boredom.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That Harper’s article is hilarious- I liked when they picked teams for basketball, then everyone immediately walked away as soon as the teams were picked and the oldest guy explained that their lifestyle has broken them so badly that they can’t concentrate for more than a few minutes and picking teams is usually as far as they get lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

skooma512 posted:

They're trying to get people to forget they've been doing these loving meetings from home with no pants on.

And also that these meetings invite the possibility of getting infected with the Delta variant, a plain ol cold, or dying of boredom.

management just loving loves to piss away money on office space when they could be letting people work from home, and not have to reimburse them for internet or office supplies

im thankful my boss isn't an idiot and basically said to me "yea sure you can work from home and come in as needed if you give up your office" and i jumped on it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Nastier Nate posted:

not have to reimburse them for internet or office supplies

congrats you played yourself

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I love how when I ask "does anyone know a place that sells X" invariably a person tells me that amazon has it

it's like thanks, amazon has loving everything, but also gently caress amazon

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

actionjackson posted:

I love how when I ask "does anyone know a place that sells X" invariably a person tells me that amazon has it

Google bad dragon, they have all you need

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I loving wish I could buy x off of amazon :catdrugs:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Amazon makes money selling internet infrastructure and has a tiny retail side operation reselling Chinese trinkets to consumers. If you need something like those rubber feet that go at the end of metal chair legs it's not like avoiding Amazon is sticking it to Jeff. Anything small enough that you can't just order directly from the manufacturer has small enough margins that it's immaterial where you buy it.

If you really want to do something to avoid Amazon and not use their products, log off and never use the internet again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.espn.com/soccer/england...-coca-cola-snub

quote:

UEFA issued a statement on Thursday reminding teams of their contractual obligations after Ronaldo moved Coca-Cola bottles out of shot as he sat down for a pre-match news conference ahead of Portugal's 3-0 win over Hungary in Budapest on Monday. Ronaldo then held up another bottle and said "water" in Portuguese.

Southgate and Kane sat with the same branded bottles in front of them as they spoke on Thursday evening ahead of England's Group D match against Scotland. And Southgate said: "I think there are lots of sponsors in sport and the impact of their money at all levels helps sport to function, particularly grassroots sport in our country requires a lot of investment and without some of those companies investing, it is very difficult to provide the facilities we need.

"With anything, of course, we are mindful in our country of obesity and health but everything can be done in moderation. Anything you take part in or partake in moderation is rarely a problem. I understand the concerns that people have and two guys had different rationale for the stances they took but there's always a bigger picture to these things."

It was reported that Coca-Cola's valuation dropped by $4 billion as a result of a dent in their share price following Ronaldo's actions. The company responded in a statement that "everyone is entitled to their drink preferences" with different "tastes and needs."

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

If you really want to do something to avoid Amazon and not use their products, log off and never use the internet again.

What, and let my posting enemies win? Nice try

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1405609396302979074 This week's bait headline is here.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Buying from Amazon™ is praxis actually

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

LastInLine posted:

:emo:

do you not see the difference between "the side of Amazon that crushes local and smaller retailers by destroying their margins/turning them into showrooms" and "the entire Internet runs on a handful of global infrastructure providers"?

do you not understand how people can have strong feelings about one of those and are able to act on them without having a similar level of emotion about the other?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Voting with your wallet doesn't work so it's okay to give scumbags money, do free advertising and then post a Sonic The Hedgehog meme about capitalism.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i agree that the system has been intentionally designed to make it nearly impossible to transact without supporting multiple terrible entities. engineered complicity breeds apathy.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

So now that we have an additional federal holiday in the USA (thank u biden) what is the overall impact going to be on the GDP??? Can I look forward to reading articles lamenting how there are too many federal holidays, and that extra time off may have unintended economic consequences?

also -- will my workplace grant us an additional day off in 2027 or whenever this becomes official (no)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weatherman posted:

:emo:

do you not see the difference between "the side of Amazon that crushes local and smaller retailers by destroying their margins/turning them into showrooms" and "the entire Internet runs on a handful of global infrastructure providers"?

do you not understand how people can have strong feelings about one of those and are able to act on them without having a similar level of emotion about the other?

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, I think we all agree. And voting with your wallet is completely ineffective even at scale on the items we're talking about as the margins aren't there to begin with and even if they were, Walmart also exists. In much and in fact most of the country "small and local retailers" have been destroyed for over a generation now. That battle is lost and has been for a long time.

I certainly understand not liking Amazon and feeling an ethical impulse to avoid them, just do so with the knowledge that it is purely performative and does nothing of material value. It's solely an inconvenience to the performer. The whole point of this thread is, well, Mola Yam said it best:

Mola Yam posted:

i agree that the system has been intentionally designed to make it nearly impossible to transact without supporting multiple terrible entities. engineered complicity breeds apathy.

You cannot escape it so why not buy low cost, low margin items from Amazon if it's already being subsidized by the rest of their business? You can always buy things with higher margins that businesses make money selling from other sources but if you want binder clips or something who cares?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

palindrome posted:

So now that we have an additional federal holiday in the USA (thank u biden) what is the overall impact going to be on the GDP??? Can I look forward to reading articles lamenting how there are too many federal holidays, and that extra time off may have unintended economic consequences?

also -- will my workplace grant us an additional day off in 2027 or whenever this becomes official (no)?

It's a holiday the same way like, Columbus Day is a holiday. You won't get it off unless you're a bank.

e: And it's already in effect, today is the first official observance of it (since it'd fall on a Saturday this year)

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Jun 18, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That got me reading about the passage of MLK Jr. Day

quote:

During the Senate deliberation on the bill, Senator Jesse Helms attempted to add amendments to kill the bill and distributed a 400-page FBI report on King describing him as a communist and subversive, leading Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan to throw the report on the ground and refer to it as garbage.[20][21] Senator Ted Kennedy accused Helms of making false and inaccurate statements, causing Helms to attempt to have Kennedy punished for a violation of rules that prohibit senators from questioning each other's honor.

I wonder if that rule still exists :allears:

Anyway after it finally passed, states hemmed and hawed and whined about it for the next twenty years, with it only being ultimately settled in loving 2000.

Also lmao Arkansas:

quote:

In February 1983, the Arkansas House of Representatives and the Arkansas Senate before being signed into law by Governor Bill Clinton allowing state employees to choose to take a holiday off on Martin Luther King Jr., Robert E. Lee, or their own birthday.[92][93] In 1985, the state legislature voted to combine King and Lee's birthdays and stayed combined until March 14, 2017, when Governor Asa Hutchinson signed a bill separating the holidays.[94]

Until 2017 MLK Jr. day was also Blessed Confederate General For Preservation of the White Race Day Because gently caress You

e: Oh even better, in Alabama and Mississippi it's still Robert E. Lee / Martin Luther King Jr. Day, great

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 12:44 on Jun 18, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

palindrome posted:

If we we're worried about too many holidays it would be easy to pitch to trade Columbus Day for Election Day.

President's Day is a fake holiday too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

If we we're worried about too many holidays it would be easy to pitch to trade Columbus Day for Election Day.

President's Day is a fake holiday too

Apparently one of the things some of the states did when trying to get MLK Jr. day to pass in the state legislatures was to replace Columbus Day with it (which kinda worked in a few cases but not others) so some states have already burned their Free Holiday Nobody Would Really Care About If You Delete.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Christmas should not be a holiday. thanksgiving is also suspect

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

Shut up with that kinda talk, you wanna cost us the only times we actually get two consecutive days off??

e: Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kinda surprised Woke Capital hasn't launched some concern-trolling campaign to replace Christmas or Thanksgiving with like, a religious or secular holiday of your choosing (thus lessening the effects on them of everyone taking time off at once), followed by immediate Hobby Lobbying to declare that since the company has its own religious rights its allowed to pick the holiday for you and since its a Seventh Day Adventist the holiday you get to celebrate is "none".

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 13:19 on Jun 18, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

euphronius posted:

You'll have to pry Christmas and Easter from my cold, dead, atheist hands

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GotLag posted:

You'll have to pry Christmas and Easter from my cold, dead, atheist hands

Y'all get Easter off? I don't get Easter off :(

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Technically it’s Good Friday.

I appreciate having off for the pagan fertility festival, and also Saturnalia

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

Good Friday, Easter Saturday and the following Monday are public holidays. Sunday isn't because traditionally everything was shut then anyway, and working on Sunday gets higher pay.

I still don't understand US public holidays. Wikipedia is trying to tell me that it's up to individual businesses to shut on those days, is that right? Do they at least have to pay you more if they do make you work?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They aren't federal holidays, so businesses can pay you a regular wage. Like valentines day.

If you have a paid day off around easter, it's observation of easter. Juneteenth isn't until tomorrow, but that's not a weekday so it will be observed today.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

Private employers also are not required to observe federal or state holidays, the key exception being federally chartered banks. Some private employers, often by a union contract, pay a differential such as time-and-a-half or double-time to employees who work on some federal holidays. However, employees not specifically covered by a union contract might only receive their standard pay for working on a federal holiday, depending on the company policy.
The USA fuckin sucks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shame Boy posted:

Shut up with that kinda talk, you wanna cost us the only times we actually get two consecutive days off??

e: Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kinda surprised Woke Capital hasn't launched some concern-trolling campaign to replace Christmas or Thanksgiving with like, a religious or secular holiday of your choosing (thus lessening the effects on them of everyone taking time off at once), followed by immediate Hobby Lobbying to declare that since the company has its own religious rights its allowed to pick the holiday for you and since its a Seventh Day Adventist the holiday you get to celebrate is "none".

Christmas spending way overshadows any costs of Christmas holidays, and if everybody takes time off at the same time, the losses are way smaller than spreading the holidays over a month or whatever, since while your employees are at home not working, so are the customers and all your competition.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

That got me reading about the passage of MLK Jr. Day

I wonder if that rule still exists :allears:
It does, McConnell used it to crack down on Warren during Sessions' confirmation hearing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GotLag posted:

The USA fuckin sucks

no wonder most of your country is insane

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They aren't federal holidays, so businesses can pay you a regular wage. Like valentines day.

If you have a paid day off around easter, it's observation of easter. Juneteenth isn't until tomorrow, but that's not a weekday so it will be observed today.

They can for federal holidays too except in MA and RI where a company has to pay a differential. Otherwise you can be forced to work (at will baby) at straight time on any day of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Some Texans shocked to find their smart thermostats were raised remotely

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article...fe-1f9a5ef4362a

quote:

The family’s smart thermostat was installed a few years ago as part of a new home security package. Many smart thermostats can be enrolled in a program called "Smart Savers Texas." It's operated by a company called EnergyHub.

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.