Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I forget how they went to the bathroom in TLW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget how they went to the bathroom in TLW.

Pissing while walking backwards, making GBS threads by squatting and doing it as fast as possible knowing they'll get a warning or two. This is actually a moment of tension when Garrity has an upset stomach for a bit because he already has 3 warnings.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One guy develops diarrhea and is shot while squatting with his pants down.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus. It's like working for Amazon

I was remembering Alan Wake the other day and wondered why there's never really been a Stephen King video game - or at least one I can remember. I think a few of his properties could be sued to flesh out a decent game world. Salem's Lot, Dr. Sleep, Cell, The Regulators, the werewolf books...even maybe weirder poo poo like The Talisman or The Gunslinger books. Or maybe even something based on IT, but that'd be tricky.

You could do a chapter based anthology approach and have each level borrow from a different book or short story.

Has anyone ever tried to make a King game?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can't think of any based directly on his works, but Control is massively influenced by his ideas. It even starts off with a Shawshank allusion.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I was remembering Alan Wake the other day and wondered why there's never really been a Stephen King video game - or at least one I can remember. I think a few of his properties could be sued to flesh out a decent game world. Salem's Lot, Dr. Sleep, Cell, The Regulators, the werewolf books...even maybe weirder poo poo like The Talisman or The Gunslinger books. Or maybe even something based on IT, but that'd be tricky.

You could do a chapter based anthology approach and have each level borrow from a different book or short story.

there have been very few according to this article https://screenrant.com/best-stephen-king-games-books-mist-dark-half/

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Half-Life was inspired by The Mist

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

"IT: Sewer Escape"...you won't last five seconds

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

Half-Life was inspired by The Mist

It was originally named Quiver for the Project Arrowhead stuff in the mist

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i remembered original movie Pet Sematary being a lot more...hokey. Was I mistaking it for the sequel? I just remember that when I read the actual original story and it was depressing as hell, I couldn't help but contrast it with the movie that I saw a long time ago which I did not remember being sad at all.

But in both versions, Jud is the best. I forgot how great he was in the movie, too.

Was the remake any good?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Christine was my first-ever favorite movie and I haven't seen it since childhood nor have I read the book. I think I should remedy that before the Fuller version comes out

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

NikkolasKing posted:

i remembered original movie Pet Sematary being a lot more...hokey. Was I mistaking it for the sequel? I just remember that when I read the actual original story and it was depressing as hell, I couldn't help but contrast it with the movie that I saw a long time ago which I did not remember being sad at all.

But in both versions, Jud is the best. I forgot how great he was in the movie, too.

Was the remake any good?

The second is certainly a lot more hokey. I think the original suffers from some not-great performances more than anything and that gives the impression it's more hokey than what it was.

The remake is...not great? It's makes some changes that are successful and some that aren't. I liked the ending a lot. John Lithgow is good of course, though I miss the slightly more sinister aspect to Jud. Not that he's a sinister character as such, but there is this idea that while he knows how bad things can get he can't help but nudge things along anyway.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I appreciate that the movie kept Zelda in, it's a great "wow, this is a weird moody tangent" Stephen King touch even though it doesn't really contribute to the plot directly. It's like the pie-eating contest story in Stand By Me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neither of the Pet Semetary films are really all that good. The first one is better but they're both kind of poo poo tbh. Fred Gwynne chewing scenery and just enough creepy moments are enough to make the original watchable but it's pretty bad and both films seem to miss the overall tone, point and what made the novel work so well.

The book is fantastic and up there with King's best.

Eat This Glob posted:

Christine was my first-ever favorite movie and I haven't seen it since childhood nor have I read the book. I think I should remedy that before the Fuller version comes out

You should. Book is really good. I'm honestly not sure what Fuller can do differently to improve on it since Carpenter nailed, I'd say, about 80-90% of the novel and it strikes me as one of those stories that's really hard to translate to film without becoming completely goofy.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Taeke posted:

I finished The Long Walk last night after starting it less than 24 hours earlier. It was enthralling, and weird, and fun, and I just couldn't put it down. At times it felt weird to be lying the garden, in the sun, super comfortable, reading about the suffering of these kids. I loved the rhythm of the story, the drudgery that King somehow nailed really well without it getting boring. It was compelling, and big reason of being unable to put it down. It just went on and on, and the more it went on the more I wanted to get to the end (in a good way.) I loved the world he created all the more because of how vague he kept it. References to the Squads, minor history things, politics, etc to tell you it's taking place in some dystopian, fascist (?) alternate history, but always referenced as if it was the most normal thing in the world. No explanations, no exposition, just those kids talking about or remembering things.

Only thing that nagged me, despite knowing it's not the point, is that for some of the kids their motivations fell flat. I know it's addressed in part, for some, as a slow form of suicide but sometimes that wasn't it either. They went on the Walk just... because? It felt like King wanted to avoid having some kids just be motivated by fame and the Prize, but couldn't come up with an alternative and just left it blank, but because the Walk is voluntary, and very, very lethal and like the worst thing you can inflict no yourself, and everyone knows that, I'd say some justification for signing up is merited. I mean, Scramm was motivated by getting a kid, want to be a provider and being (overly) confident he could pull it off. Stebbins has his own motivations. Some of the just aren't right in the head, but others just joined the Walk seemingly for no reason.They're not crazy, they're not suicidal, the just joined the Walk as someone might join a game of Monopoly. I dunno, I'm still struggling a bit articulating what I mean but it's only been a couple of hours since I finished reading it, so maybe with time I'll figure out my point better. (Or get some insight rendering it moot.)

Anyway, great read. Enjoyed it immensely and not something I'll forget quite soon, but also not a read I'll revisit soon either.

In a way that's what made it so creepy. There was literally so little else to do, so little hope of a future, that it made sense to them to just knowingly walk themselves to death over a few horrific days, rather than stretch out their existence over a few extra decades.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The guy that plays Louis in Pet Sematary almost single-handedly sinks the whole goddamn movie. He spends the majority of his time on screen looking bored out of his loving mind and only really tries in the scenes surrounding Gage's death. They also could have made Pascow not be so...hokey?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ClydeFrog posted:

In a way that's what made it so creepy. There was literally so little else to do, so little hope of a future, that it made sense to them to just knowingly walk themselves to death over a few horrific days, rather than stretch out their existence over a few extra decades.

I don't know, and it's been a while since I read it, but weren't some of TLW contestants doing it as some sort of plea agreement or probation thing to avoid Juvie or something? IIRC, I think one fat kid was doing it as a way to get in shape maybe? I think I need to read the book again.

Someone made a joke about it, but I still think you could make it into a play. A really DARK loving play but still. You need scrolling backgrounds, a good cast and a couple of those airport walkway things. Killings are done off stage with horrible sounds and flashes of light. Not sure why that's so far fetched or funny tbh.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Been watching this Dead Meat channel on YT and just got to his Shining Kill Count/pithy mini review summary thing.

I bring it up because he starts off by mentioning how King infamously dislikes this horror film classic but then adds how King's evaluation of it has softened in recent years and, this is the important part, finishes with "to be honest, I think [King] just likes everything these days."

I remember reading similar sentiments in this thread after that awful Stand series. Is this an age thing or did King get less grumpy after his accident?

I just remember I used to always cite his favorable reaction to The Mist's new ending. I fuckin' love that movie and ending and was happy to cite his approval when people say it's mean-spirited and dumb. But if he just likes everything nowadays....eh.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I honestly can't think of any adaptations of his that he hasn't championed other than Kubrick's Shining, The Lawnmower Man, and Maximum Overdrive (minus a few minor quibbles, like the opera sequence in Shawshank). But to be fair, it's probably bad form to publicly talk poo poo about the effort of the folks who love his work enough to put hundreds or thousands of hours of labor into making their adaptations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ClydeFrog posted:

Except this wasn't indicates in any way. The only indication that life was dystopian is mention of the Squads so life seemed to be chugging along for pretty much everyone aside from living in a police state. There's no mention of food scarcity, a lack of prospects or anything.

The only general motivation was a sort of claim to fame and a deification of the Major, but that didn't feel strong enough for a kid to put their lives on the line like that. Thinking about it now I'm guessing that was what King was going for, with the personal talk he has with each contestant and how their feelings for the Major changed throughout the ordeal, but the sense of indoctrination wasn't as strong as it should've been in that case.

A lot of the kids were just too blasé about the whole thing.

Again, I get that that's not the point of the story, but it really feels like a missed opportunity. He either shouldn't have addressed the motivation for participating at all, or flesh it out more for some of the characters. As it is it felt like an oversight, or him half-assing it, which is a shame.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Taeke posted:

Except this wasn't indicates in any way. The only indication that life was dystopian is mention of the Squads so life seemed to be chugging along for pretty much everyone aside from living in a police state. There's no mention of food scarcity, a lack of prospects or anything.

The only general motivation was a sort of claim to fame and a deification of the Major, but that didn't feel strong enough for a kid to put their lives on the line like that. Thinking about it now I'm guessing that was what King was going for, with the personal talk he has with each contestant and how their feelings for the Major changed throughout the ordeal, but the sense of indoctrination wasn't as strong as it should've been in that case.

A lot of the kids were just too blasé about the whole thing.

Again, I get that that's not the point of the story, but it really feels like a missed opportunity. He either shouldn't have addressed the motivation for participating at all, or flesh it out more for some of the characters. As it is it felt like an oversight, or him half-assing it, which is a shame.

If you held the Long Walk as a competition today you'd have a ton of zoomers kicking down the doors to try and sign up at our current level of dystopia. It's in no way unbelievable that you can get a bunch of teenagers to agree to something like this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Hahah, let me introduce you to:

a) The Lawnmower Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZxhsZjI20

and b) The Running Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5IdHqOa9h4

...which are also his two least faithful adaptations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Been watching this Dead Meat channel on YT and just got to his Shining Kill Count/pithy mini review summary thing.

I bring it up because he starts off by mentioning how King infamously dislikes this horror film classic but then adds how King's evaluation of it has softened in recent years and, this is the important part, finishes with "to be honest, I think [King] just likes everything these days."

I remember reading similar sentiments in this thread after that awful Stand series. Is this an age thing or did King get less grumpy after his accident?

I just remember I used to always cite his favorable reaction to The Mist's new ending. I fuckin' love that movie and ending and was happy to cite his approval when people say it's mean-spirited and dumb. But if he just likes everything nowadays....eh.

Dead Meat is fantastic because James actually knows film and does a TON of research.

King was never grumpy about adaptations, really. He loves cheese in film and will love almost anything.

He hated The Shining adaptation because it was a personal allegory about him finally beating his addiction issues and being all about family (which he did) directed by a great director. Then Kubrick looked at the character and said, nah, this is all about some dude that wants to get rid of his family because he hates them to the point that he purposefully gets himself drunk without liquor to have an excuse to go through with it. There's good reason why he doesn't like it.

He hated Lawnmower Man because it was just someone using his name to sell a movie that had nothing to do with the source material after buying the rights to the name.

Otherwise, he loves cheese. He was constantly working with Romero, etc. for a bit and directed the most ridiculous horror movie ever.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

It's an interesting question. I was Stephen King's literal next-door neighbor from about 1996 through 2003 for two and a half months of summer every year, and he really changed in a fairly significant manner after the van accident. Before the accident we'd see him around all the time every summer - having lunch at the Wicked Good Store, shopping at the General Market (the only two commercial establishments in the entire town) or taking a long walk down the road just about every day, sometimes continuing past Palmer Lane (the private dirt road we all lived on) and onto the much busier and more dangerous Route 5, which is where the van struck him while walking in 1999.

So, he wasn't around the rest of that year, and things were very different the next few years. No more walking down the road every day, or at all. No more having lunch several times a week at the diner, and he was only very rarely seen actually shopping at the store himself. In fact, the only times I remember seeing him in public the several years after the accident, he was ostentatiously speeding in expensive and rather garish sports cars - before the accident, we'd only ever seen him driving beat-up pickup trucks, and he didn't speed.

I don't know what those observations meant at the time, but they very clearly were indicative of something. I would say he was definitely significantly more - or significantly less - self-conscious after the accident. Tough to say which one.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

If you held the Long Walk as a competition today you'd have a ton of zoomers kicking down the doors to try and sign up at our current level of dystopia. It's in no way unbelievable that you can get a bunch of teenagers to agree to something like this.

I think you're actually correct. In TLW, it's only 100 teenage boys who are walking. I'm sure you could round up 100 teenagers to do something like that now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

kaworu posted:

It's an interesting question. I was Stephen King's literal next-door neighbor from about 1996 through 2003 for two and a half months of summer every year, and he really changed in a fairly significant manner after the van accident. Before the accident we'd see him around all the time every summer - having lunch at the Wicked Good Store, shopping at the General Market (the only two commercial establishments in the entire town) or taking a long walk down the road just about every day, sometimes continuing past Palmer Lane (the private dirt road we all lived on) and onto the much busier and more dangerous Route 5, which is where the van struck him while walking in 1999.

So, he wasn't around the rest of that year, and things were very different the next few years. No more walking down the road every day, or at all. No more having lunch several times a week at the diner, and he was only very rarely seen actually shopping at the store himself. In fact, the only times I remember seeing him in public the several years after the accident, he was ostentatiously speeding in expensive and rather garish sports cars - before the accident, we'd only ever seen him driving beat-up pickup trucks, and he didn't speed.

I don't know what those observations meant at the time, but they very clearly were indicative of something. I would say he was definitely significantly more - or significantly less - self-conscious after the accident. Tough to say which one.

This is a cool post and thank you for writing it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

I think you're actually correct. In TLW, it's only 100 teenage boys who are walking. I'm sure you could round up 100 teenagers to do something like that now.

Get TikTok involved and you would have to hold auditions to whittle it down to 1000.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

Dead Meat is fantastic because James actually knows film and does a TON of research.

King was never grumpy about adaptations, really. He loves cheese in film and will love almost anything.

He hated The Shining adaptation because it was a personal allegory about him finally beating his addiction issues and being all about family (which he did) directed by a great director. Then Kubrick looked at the character and said, nah, this is all about some dude that wants to get rid of his family because he hates them to the point that he purposefully gets himself drunk without liquor to have an excuse to go through with it. There's good reason why he doesn't like it.

He hated Lawnmower Man because it was just someone using his name to sell a movie that had nothing to do with the source material after buying the rights to the name.

Otherwise, he loves cheese. He was constantly working with Romero, etc. for a bit and directed the most ridiculous horror movie ever.

Yeah, this is why I read King's book Shining first. No matter how good Kubrick's film might be, it wasn't as...."real." Jack being an evil psycho all along misses the point, the tragedy of the story.

But fair enough I see your overall point.

kaworu posted:

This is really cool to learn, thanks for sharing. King seems like a very nice and interesting man.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I think it's less that he's softened and more that his reaction to it has always been a bit more complicated than simply hating it. He thought enough of it as a movie to recommend it in the Danse Macabre appendixes.

I imagine he cried inconsolably to himself after praising the Dark Tower movie though, knowing that he was living a lie.

Also Dead Meat rules.

EDIT:

NikkolasKing posted:

This is really cool to learn, thanks for sharing. King seems like a very nice and interesting man.

The best man at my wedding grew up in Brewer, adjacent to Bangor, and this is pretty much what he said. Claimed it wasn't uncommon to see him around town, but he ran into him at the movie theater more than anywhere else.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 18, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All this talk of PS and also watching James' Kill Count of the IT stuff is making me remember when I first got into King. This guy elsewhere was big into the King Multiverse Cosmology and talking about how the Crimson King was the strongest dude ever. I never read any Dark Tower novels though. The closest I personally read of King metaphysics is Insomnia where we're told of The Purpose and the Random. Gage getting killed was The Random, Pennywise, for all his phenomenal cosmic power, is also of The Random.

In essence, King seemed to be saying Evil is a separate power unto itself in his stories. Pennywise is just like...I forget which one it was, maybe Atropos - a malevolent being who is ultimately just doing what he was made to do and the multiverse needs him.

Lotta folks don't like that, the idea Evil is necessary. Of course The Random isn't supposed to be inherently evil but Gage's death certainly resulted in a lot of evil and that was explicitly mentioned to be of The Random in Insomnia.

Also I really need to go through IT again. I know it and The Stand are of comparable lengths but IT is my favorite King book because, for all its length, it never dragged, at least in my one and only complete listen. Maybe it'll drag more this time around but The Stand was way harder for me to get through even in my first go.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

All this talk of PS and also watching James' Kill Count of the IT stuff is making me remember when I first got into King. This guy elsewhere was big into the King Multiverse Cosmology and talking about how the Crimson King was the strongest dude ever. I never read any Dark Tower novels though. The closest I personally read of King metaphysics is Insomnia where we're told of The Purpose and the Random. Gage getting killed was The Random, Pennywise, for all his phenomenal cosmic power, is also of The Random.

In essence, King seemed to be saying Evil is a separate power unto itself in his stories. Pennywise is just like...I forget which one it was, maybe Atropos - a malevolent being who is ultimately just doing what he was made to do and the multiverse needs him.

Lotta folks don't like that, the idea Evil is necessary. Of course The Random isn't supposed to be inherently evil but Gage's death certainly resulted in a lot of evil and that was explicitly mentioned to be of The Random in Insomnia.

Also I really need to go through IT again. I know it and The Stand are of comparable lengths but IT is my favorite King book because, for all its length, it never dragged, at least in my one and only complete listen. Maybe it'll drag more this time around but The Stand was way harder for me to get through even in my first go.

IT was basically Galactus. Supposed to be a universal force of entropy to counter the turtles creation, got fat and lazy because it liked snacking on human emotions more than doing what it was supposed to do, Gan/Turtle interfered to make it stop.

Insomnia and pre accident Dark Tower had the Crimson King as someone who was on a higher level because of being an immortal cosmic being who was unraveling the entire multiverse in itself to remake everything as he saw fit. Then he was a little immortal spirit guy who was screaming Eeeeeeeeeee and playing with Harry Potter toys post accident.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

IT is pretty high up there for my favorite King book, I remember on my last reread thinking I wanted more time with The Losers cause poo poo really goes fast once they polish off the mundane setup chapters. It really benefits a lot out of the style it’s written; King’s weakness for endings is basically a meme but the story pretty much avoids the later parts petering out like The Stand which is an achievement relative to the length

I mean, he was pretty clearly high as a kite cause he wrote “that” section and is still happily married, but still.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, this is why I read King's book Shining first. No matter how good Kubrick's film might be, it wasn't as...."real." Jack being an evil psycho all along misses the point, the tragedy of the story.

I mean book Jack was always terrible, he almost killed a kid right before going to the Overlook. Kubrick understood that Jack was King writing about himself and said "you know what, I think you're kind of a piece of poo poo and so is Jack." I get why that would put King off, it was nearly a direct attack against him as a person.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

IT was basically Galactus. Supposed to be a universal force of entropy to counter the turtles creation, got fat and lazy because it liked snacking on human emotions more than doing what it was supposed to do, Gan/Turtle interfered to make it stop.

Insomnia and pre accident Dark Tower had the Crimson King as someone who was on a higher level because of being an immortal cosmic being who was unraveling the entire multiverse in itself to remake everything as he saw fit. Then he was a little immortal spirit guy who was screaming Eeeeeeeeeee and playing with Harry Potter toys post accident.

A bad ending can ruin a great book or series. That sucks to hear.

Speaking of which, I never had a problem with IT's ending. Does anybody who actually read the book hate it? My impression is the anticlimax comes from the old miniseries. (did the new movies correct this?)

There's a very minor part in IT I still remember clearly because I never understood it.

The pharmacist character. Even as he's helping Eddie and telling him the truth, the narration goes out of its way to still present him as sinister.

Like...what? Why is he evil? He never does anything malevolent that I can recall. We're just told he's kinda lovely and that's that. It doesn't contribute anything to the narrative that I noticed, unless it's just supposed to be another example of Adults in Darry Are Weird.

EDIT:

Continuing through Kill Count and connecting it back to previous talk, even before James said it, I thought "Sinister sounds a lot like Book Shining." And then he says it himself, Sinister is like if Jack Torrence or Wendy were believable characters who loved each other, obviously referring to the film.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 19, 2021

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been a while since I read It, but maybe that was just the kid's impression the pharmacist? It's very common for kids to find perfectly normal people creepy or sinister for absolutely no reason, especially ones the in a sort of gatekeeper profession of (perceived) power. The creepy librarian for example is pretty common.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of which, I never had a problem with IT's ending. Does anybody who actually read the book hate it? My impression is the anticlimax comes from the old miniseries. (did the new movies correct this?)

IT is probably my favorite ending of King's because it is so balls-to-the-wall and bittersweet at the same time.

While on the subject of IT I recently listened to some podcast that detailed the differences between book movie and miniseries and one of the hosts called Mike's Derry interludes unnecessary and I was getting mad at my radio like a chump.

NikkolasKing posted:

Like...what? Why is he evil? He never does anything malevolent that I can recall. We're just told he's kinda lovely and that's that. It doesn't contribute anything to the narrative that I noticed, unless it's just supposed to be another example of Adults in Darry Are Weird.

Given that the whole book is about childhood at it's core, and what you lose as you transition to adulthood, he's basically telling a kid that Santa doesn't exist and undermining his trust in one of the only people he trusts to begin with. He's not evil, but he thinks he's helping. Adults are casually cruel about that kind of thing. Someone more eloquent than me could probably explain what I'm trying to get at better.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 19, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh poo poo. For me personally, the chapter "DERRY: THE FIRST INTERLUDE" is one of my favorite bits in all his writing. I think it's very effective, and genuinely frightening.

The part where he talks to the old-timer who talks about both he and his wife hearing dead children's voices coming up from the drains in their house, and the part right after where he recounts Derry history... the lumberjacks, the ironworks, and the murder rate.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean book Jack was always terrible, he almost killed a kid right before going to the Overlook. Kubrick understood that Jack was King writing about himself and said "you know what, I think you're kind of a piece of poo poo and so is Jack." I get why that would put King off, it was nearly a direct attack against him as a person.

The thing that makes it such a tragedy though is that Jack actually might've become a better person if the Overlook hadn't gotten its claws into him. The 'Up on the Roof' chapter is Jack finally admitting the truth and coming to terms with what he did to George Hatfield.

I know that isn't really relevant to the major part of your point (King/Kubrick relationship) but that was certainly part of Jack's character that Kubrick got wrong. There was some decency in Jack (it even comes out at the end of the book, when he gets control of himself for just a second and lets Danny run away) but it was buried under years of anger and alcoholism stemming from his father's abuse. He was rarely a good person, but he did have it in him to be one.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
A lot of people seem kind of eh on Dr. Sleep but I really enjoyed it as a pretty in depth look at the cycle of abuse/alcoholism compounded with the insane poo poo Dan had to deal with being finally overcome. Well, I guess most people like that part, it’s mostly the shine vampires people don’t like but they’re okay and constient enough with his other works to not mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Regarding the pharmacist character in IT - whose name is Norbert Keene, I believe - he's a deceptively interesting character, and shows up again prominently in an early section of 11-22-63, while the protagonist Jake Epping has traveled back to the Fall of 1958 and initially goes to Derry (just after the climax of the childhood section of It - pun mostly not intended) to stop a father from slaughtering his family as a test case of changing the past.

Jake runs into Keene on several occasions, most notably when he has a stomach flu and has to go the Derry pharmacy for an economy-sized bottle of Kaopectate and "continence pants" in case he shits myself, which causes Mr. Keene to grin with enjoyment at Jake's suffering, while he suggests that maybe he used a public toilet and didn't wash his hands, and taking an eternity to ring him up. Thereafter, he refuses to let Jake use his bathroom, to which Jake calls him "the perfect goddamn Derry citizen" and flips him off while driving away :xd:

I can't say why King likes writing Norbert Keene so much, but I always sort of felt like "perfect goddamn Derry citizen" kinda sums up what he's trying to do with the character.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 20, 2021