Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

prob sex thing and not spies tbh

It was a wonderful weekend, Vasukhani, don't deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So here's a weird one for you. Pyramids in Bosnia? Sounds pretty hokey. Turns out there's a darker side to why this claim has been so successful in spite of academic pushback since the beginning.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
If anyone else here watches Air Crash Investigations/Air Disasters/Mayday the new episode is incredibly misleading. The unnerving here is both the producers'/ investigators' casual dismissal of sexual harassment and the captain's hosed up attitude towards women. (transcript quoted from https://www.tailstrike.com/120318.html )

US-Bangla Airlines Flight 211 crashed in 2018 at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu, Nepal. Before crashing it had been flying erratically and nearly crashed into the control tower.

The investigators discovered the captain had been yelling at the controllers, getting basic information incorrect, and ranting. During the descent he had been smoking in the cockpit and lost his cigarette at one point.

quote:

- Operations: FIC for 211 is 1171 ADC KX 848 and for 212 FIC
- Captain Abid Sultan (to operations): I don’t want gently caress 212, I want 211 (Very angry) … I don’t want to gently caress you, read you, again? Keep your loving mouth shut.
- First Officer Prithula Rashid: Re-cleared to 240, we’ll call out of 4,000
- Captain (to first officer): Even I am abusing others, you don’t be afraid, Buri, I am addressing you as Buri to show my affection for you.

The investigation discovered that the captain had just resigned from the airline. The investigators and the show credit his terrible attitude to stress and one of the interviews the show chose to include said he had to resign due to "false accusations" from a female former colleague. "Nepal's Accident Investigation Commission said in its report that the captain of US-Bangla Airlines flight BS211 was "very much emotionally disturbed and stressed" because a female colleague, who was not on board the plane, had "questioned his reputation" as a good flight instructor." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47027742

Meanwhile in the transcript: (transcriber opted to censor all the "gently caress" s and I'm not going to take the time to put his real words back, apologies)

quote:

Captain: (Paraphrased and shortened from transcript) Lamia was the worst trained in US-Bangla, now in Biman Bangladesh talks ill of US- Bangla instructors including me. They said we f—ed in the cockpit. Lamia is not even worth approaching, she is ugly, fat with obnoxious appearance…what the f–k is she, the beauty queen of the world? My wife is far more beautiful, I don’t need Lamia. If I intend to buy sex, I can do that with 100 dollars. Because of the mother f—er Lamia, only Lamia, I decided to resign. She talks big, what she knows about flying … if this impression goes to my wife and imagine if you were my wife, if you learn that your husband is fooling with another girl, how would you feel?

First Officer: Oh no, oh my God.

Captain: That f—er, that son of a gun, bitch, she asked to fly 100 hours with me. With no intention that she has big boobs nor she would do sex with me. If I want to f–k her, I can f–k her in the hotel. And you know that your friend is f—ing too horny. She has a… she does sex with 6-7 guys I know. You note it, she is not a virgin … So, your friend Lamia is a prostitute.

First Officer: Sir, shouldn’t I switch on the radar?

Captain: That f—er Lamia, she made me… look at my f—ing eyes… weeping … crying… where did I do mistake (crying)? I take the blame and resigned. What is my next source of income? At least look at me f—er (crying and blowing nose) Do I need to cry like this?

The show filmed a dramatic re-enactment of the captain crying and saying only the end, with his words edited to remove the cursing and accusations, and making his tone sadder.

52 people died because this sad sack was outraged that he didn't get to use his position as a trainer to coerce a woman under him into sex and the investigators and the show both eagerly dismiss it.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

The Golden Gael posted:

So here's a weird one for you. Pyramids in Bosnia? Sounds pretty hokey. Turns out there's a darker side to why this claim has been so successful in spite of academic pushback since the beginning.

It's Nazis, isn't it?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Golden Gael posted:

Interesting article on it too
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-mystery-of-bosnias-ancient-pyramids-148990462/

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
A few years back I read a article collecting survivor accounts from Cordova ,Alabama after it was hit by two tornadoes twice in one day in 2011. I remember one was from someone in the city hall basement who saw someone in the doorway get sucked out. Unfortunately Google isn’t helping and I can’t for the life of me remember where I read it. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

It's Nazis, isn't it?

Nationalists, but for reasons you might not realize. A lot of it stems from the Bosnian war where you had situations like all the men in an area being rounded up and summarily executed. It's just all around sad because it's a population who's traumatized to the point that they'll believe anything that affirms their 'exceptionalism', including pseudoscientific nonsense.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kip Kinkel is ready to speak

A year before Columbine, Kip Kinkel was America's current notorious school shooter, having killed his parents and killed two students. Little was said then, but Kinkel had untreated early onset schizophrenia. He said avoided interviews until now because he didn't want hurt his victims more.

Kinkel is essentially serving a life sentence. He stands little chance of being released.

e: Should also mention that it takes a long look at Oregon's juvenile sentencing. While youths can no longer be given life in prison, Kinkel's existence is why those sentenced before the change will still be confined for life.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jun 16, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what's the top true crime podcast right now? I'd like something that isn't stuffed with ads or merch talk and most importantly the host or hosts aren't utterly insufferable. Tall order, I know.

I listened to Criminal and a couple of others back in the day but they suffered from the issues I mentioned but it's been a couple of years since I had a listen to a new podcast.

I checked out Crime Junkie and it seemed alright initially but the hosts sound super fake and things like the mention of something horrible met with a response like "O-M-G, full body chills! *giggle*" made me quit it. That, and the whole plagiarism thing.

Red Handed was another one but the sound quality is complete poo poo and apparently they talk about themselves and their merch way too much so no thanks.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
casefile is really good

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

endocriminologist posted:

casefile is really good
Casefile is great for being commentary-free and soothing to listen to.

Morbid and The Murder Squad are probably my favorite of the duo-based podcasts.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think I listened to Casefile and bounced off for whatever reason. I'll give it another go. Morbid and The Murder Squad are new to me, I'll check those out, thanks!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
100 percent on Casefile, if only to hear the narrator butcher American place names. However I like their approach to true crime, and their quality of work.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This was a very good read.

I know this is a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, but: at one point in the narrative, Kinkel has to fill out a "respect sheet" for swearing in class. That's not weird in and of itself, but the article includes a scan of the sheet and why on earth does it have the Grateful Dead logo on it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cuz you gotta respect the dead

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

So what's the top true crime podcast right now? I'd like something that isn't stuffed with ads or merch talk and most importantly the host or hosts aren't utterly insufferable. Tall order, I know.

I listened to Criminal and a couple of others back in the day but they suffered from the issues I mentioned but it's been a couple of years since I had a listen to a new podcast.

I checked out Crime Junkie and it seemed alright initially but the hosts sound super fake and things like the mention of something horrible met with a response like "O-M-G, full body chills! *giggle*" made me quit it. That, and the whole plagiarism thing.

Red Handed was another one but the sound quality is complete poo poo and apparently they talk about themselves and their merch way too much so no thanks.
Court Junkie, Canadian True Crime, In The Dark, Atlanta Constitution's podcast, Cold, Stranglers, Teachers Pet, Dirty John, They Walk Among Us.
I'll send more when I get home to a computer but those were off the top of my head.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Or just wean yourself from true crime as a genre, it's bad for you and whether it's a cold sterile Australian examination or a couple toootally hilarious bros riffing about Lake and Ng, it turns you into a weirdo given enough time. I recommend ALAB (All Lawyers are Bastards), a podcast fulla lawyers examining the legal system.
Plenty of true horror!
https://www.alabseries.com/

Some choice recent eps:
Race Norming:
https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-21-baked-in

Senile Judges
https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-19-gerontocracy

Also recommend the two parter on sex creep Vic Mignona's dismissed grudge lawsuit and any and all episodes they've done involving Dershowitz or Epstein.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Or just wean yourself from true crime as a genre, it's bad for you and whether it's a cold sterile Australian examination or a couple toootally hilarious bros riffing about Lake and Ng, it turns you into a weirdo given enough time.
Been reading historical true crime for three decades, wound up a goon. Avoid my fate!

Or maybe I was a weirdo all along. Go figure.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Stare-Out posted:

Generation Why has been around for ages and is pretty solid -- plenty of discussion and opinions but the hosts are thoughtful and respectful, nothing gets really sensationalized.

American Scandal does series on, well, American scandals, for a different flavor of crime.

Canadian True Crime is hosted by an Aussie-Canadian and pretty good in terms of going into detail and avoiding nonsense.

Casefile, as mentioned.

Cold Case Files, produced by A&E based on the show.

The Fall Line is very, very good and highlights crimes that were not against pretty white women and did not get made for TV specials.

The Murder Squad is pretty good, Paul Holes is pretty legit and they don't just bootlick cops the way I expected they might.

Unexplained is not really true crime and more "paranormal" nonsense, but I like it because I find the narrator's voice extremely soothing, so it's nice background noise if you don't mind him talking about aliens or whatnot.

Unresolved is kind of amateur and "some dude in his closet with a microphone", but he does his research and the content is fairly solid.

Yeah I have a problem. If you want podcasts that are less anthology and more longform about specific cases I can give a similar list because I have a problem (and also am taxing the limits of what I can subscribe to in my podcatcher).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Haha, thanks, I'll jot those down for later. I'm trying to do one at a time mostly all the way through and got started with Casefile from where I left off some years back and it's nice and matter-of-fact which is what I needed right now.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Sign up for every library card in your area / major city you can think of a postal code for. This is especially easy as many have made the sign up process free and easy due to lockdowns. Then, listen to the first 10 minutes of LPOTL to hear what books they use for research, and download the audiobook.

I 1000% get not liking them and they've been shitbags in the way they covered stuff, but Marcus and Henry actually read books, long form articles and watch documentaries. I'm pretty sure the Casefile guy has accidentally said "citation needed" while reading a Wikipedia entry verbatim, and the My Favourite Murder hosts just recount episodes of I Survived... they half-remember.

Someone Knows Something is good and the host does an extraordinary amount of foot work, door knocking, and pronouncing "car" in the most southern Ontario way you've ever heard. Usually the season concludes well before anything conclusive comes up, but one guy was recently retried and convicted for the murder of one of the subjects pretty much solely due to the podcast.

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jun 16, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A year before Columbine, Kip Kinkel was America's current notorious school shooter, having killed his parents and killed two students. Little was said then, but Kinkel had untreated early onset schizophrenia. He said avoided interviews until now because he didn't want hurt his victims more.

Kinkel is essentially serving a life sentence. He stands little chance of being released.

e: Should also mention that it takes a long look at Oregon's juvenile sentencing. While youths can no longer be given life in prison, Kinkel's existence is why those sentenced before the change will still be confined for life.

quote:

Kinkel is one of about 10,000 people nationwide serving life or life-equivalent sentences for crimes they committed before they turned 18, when their brains were not yet fully developed. The U.S. is the only country that allows juveniles to be sentenced to life without parole. The children condemned to die in prison are disproportionately Black and brown, the result of years of racist fearmongering about so-called “super-predator” youth. But in Oregon, which is overwhelmingly white and has had a high rate of juvenile incarceration, Kinkel is one of the most infamous prisoners.

In recent years, Oregon has undergone intense debates about whether it’s appropriate to lock up juveniles for life. Senate Bill 1008, a juvenile justice reform bill that dramatically changed the way Oregon punished people who committed crimes before they were 18 years old, was introduced in the state legislature in 2019. It eliminated sentences of life without parole for minors, made it harder to prosecute kids as adults and created early-release opportunities for those who demonstrated rehabilitation.

Prosecutors and conservative media personalities inaccurately claimed that S.B. 1008 would automatically allow Kinkel to go free. He was the subject of television commercials and testimony in the state Capitol urging lawmakers to vote against the bill. The legislation narrowly passed, but weeks later politicians clawed back a key part of the reform effort. In response to concerns about Kinkel, the state legislature passed another bill amending S.B. 1008 to specifically exclude people who were sentenced before its passage. That move makes it more likely Kinkel will spend the rest of his life behind bars, but it also affects hundreds of other people in Oregon who are in prison for crimes they committed as kids — including people who have played a role in Kinkel’s rehabilitation.
It's just such an obviously barbaric and obscene thing to sentence kids as adults, let alone sentence mentally ill children to loving life in prison. I don't care what they did, and we've seen some truly horrific juvenile crimes itt.
loving demon cracker country, man.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Jun 16, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is just so loving sad. Jesus Christ. There is a picture of him smiling near the end there that was just heartbreaking.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:catstare:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Dunno what's the deal with the clickbait screenshots but that woman is Kayla Norton, a racist who served 2 years for being part of a small group that terrorized a black child's birthday party.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Dunno what's the deal with the clickbait screenshots but that woman is Kayla Norton, a racist who served 2 years for being part of a small group that terrorized a black child's birthday party.

Even 2 years seems a lot for this type of crime, unless maybe assault and actual terrorism was involved.

Here in Belgium it's generally agreed some type of crimes get off way too light, but it's baffling how casually the US justice system locks people up for years for crimes that seem relatively minor (mostly drug- or alcohol-related). I don't really believe in the concept of jail sentences anyway, except for the most egregious of crimes or if someone is truly a perennial danger to society and themselves (even then I would prefer these people to be institutionalized).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

America is far too punitive and Americans love it but some countries do have too lenient sentencing laws. I know some of the worst serial killers in South America (and maybe history) had to be released because the maximum sentence in some of the countries is 25 years and there's no equivalent to serving sentences consecutively like there is here. I'd rather be too lenient than how we in the States do it but there does need to be some way to lock someone up and throw away the key in those extreme examples. I think life without parole should be abolished but some of these countries need the equivalent of a life with the possibility of parole sentence since someone like Pedro Lopez would never be successfully paroled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something about gotta keep 'em handy for the next US-backed coup of a government left of Pinochet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Even 2 years seems a lot for this type of crime, unless maybe assault and actual terrorism was involved.

Here in Belgium it's generally agreed some type of crimes get off way too light, but it's baffling how casually the US justice system locks people up for years for crimes that seem relatively minor (mostly drug- or alcohol-related). I don't really believe in the concept of jail sentences anyway, except for the most egregious of crimes or if someone is truly a perennial danger to society and themselves (even then I would prefer these people to be institutionalized).

They were "harrassing" people by committing the first several steps of a lynching, by driving around their party with loaded weapons and yelling threats.

Whilst I would love an ideological world that has addressed the underlying conditions to crime, the only thing these cretins have understood is violence that they have wished upon "others."

Hanging was too kind for Nazis, but it sure kept a few heads down for decades.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Jun 17, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yeah hate crime lady can take her two years. In a country with a history of outrageous systemic racism against black people, that's perfectly reasonable.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

quote:

"Victims and witnesses from the party, who were predominantly African-American, testified to observing the group of trucks whose passengers were hurling a litany of racial slurs at them as they passed by," prosecutors said.

Several members of the group — some of whom are now serving prison terms of their own — got out of their trucks and approached the partygoers, threatening to kill them all. According to their fellow defendants and witnesses, it was Norton who retrieved Torres' shotgun — a tactical 12-gauge with a pistol grip — and loaded it before giving it to him.

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Not technically true crime, but You're Wrong About as well as Behind the Bastards are both fantastic podcasts that delve deep into history and context behind major true crime cases (plus more).

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

fistful of hammers posted:

Not technically true crime, but You're Wrong About as well as Behind the Bastards are both fantastic podcasts that delve deep into history and context behind major true crime cases (plus more).

Behind the Bastards is an incredibly bad podcast from a guy who gets funding from a CIA cutout to make it, for what I'm sure are definitely not political reasons.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Josh Christ posted:

Behind the Bastards is an incredibly bad podcast from a guy who gets funding from a CIA cutout to make it, for what I'm sure are definitely not political reasons.

That's a shame, thought it was very informative. Guess that CIA money gets everywhere huh.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Necrothatcher posted:

That's a shame, thought it was very informative. Guess that CIA money gets everywhere huh.

It does, which is actually deliberate - if everyone gets CIA money, people won't take the real propaganda outfits seriously or watch for it :tinfoil:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Josh Christ posted:

Do you have anything specific to point out beyond that because in my experience most people on SA find it good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you have anything specific to point out beyond that because in my experience most people on SA find it good.

My only beef with it - and I'm saying this completely unaware of anything about "CIA backing" (what? what?!) or whatever - is that it suffers from the curse of most long-running podcasts in that the show ends up taking on guests that the host finds way more talented / funny / interesting than the audience does, with the side effect of making the one and only time they cover a potentially interesting topic unlistenable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

My only beef with it - and I'm saying this completely unaware of anything about "CIA backing" (what? what?!) or whatever - is that it suffers from the curse of most long-running podcasts in that the show ends up taking on guests that the host finds way more talented / funny / interesting than the audience does, with the side effect of making the one and only time they cover a potentially interesting topic unlistenable.

The Phyllis Schlafly episodes were kinda spoiled by the dipshit guest comedian constantly trying to apply pop psych to her upbringing and getting basic poo poo wrong.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Jun 18, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's why I couldn't get into the Dollop. The information part is good (although I guess Anthony has fully ripped off at least one ep without proper attribution) but the jokey bit is so lame. I think the Dollop is the only place I've seen go into what an awful person Erik Prince is on a personal level and not just in his public dealings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

My only beef with it - and I'm saying this completely unaware of anything about "CIA backing"

He worked/works for Bellingcat, a major funder of which is the national endowment for democracy, which is a known cia cutout.