Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

So I'm looking for a two bike rack for my station wagon; I have roof racks for kayaks now. Would it be better to get a compatible set of racks for the roof or a trunk rack like the Saris bones or similar? Mainly considering I'm intending to replace the car later this year and get a hitch rack at the time, so I don't want to spend tooooo much now, but not sure how annoying bikes on a roof rack are?

Just a heads up that bike racks are experiencing some of the same supply chain/availability headaches as the actual bikes. I got my bike in January and figured I'd cruise craiglist and find something by the time the weather got warmer. Wrong. Everything on craiglist was crappy, over priced or gone quickly. I had 3 different uhauls push hitch install dates to the point I just cancelled my order. Rack Attack said hitch for my car was on back order with no estimated in stock date. 1Up racks are currently 6-8 week wait. I ended up buying new clips for a discontinued yakima roof rack that I had in storage... that I found in Hawaii. Ebay sellers for the same clips used were 2x retail. Pricier hitch racks were otherwise available but you get the idea. Putting bikes on the roof of a sedan is fine, much better than putting it in the trunk with the seats down like I did for a month.

On a side note, curious if people wear their wedding rings riding. Had my first good OTB crash this weekend and just had a few bruises except for a piece of skin missing on my ring finger. Wondering if that's a common occurrence or just a fluke. My ring has a tiny bit of play but not much and I was wearing gloves so struck me as a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Homers BBBq posted:

Just a heads up that bike racks are experiencing some of the same supply chain/availability headaches as the actual bikes. I got my bike in January and figured I'd cruise craiglist and find something by the time the weather got warmer. Wrong. Everything on craiglist was crappy, over priced or gone quickly. I had 3 different uhauls push hitch install dates to the point I just cancelled my order. Rack Attack said hitch for my car was on back order with no estimated in stock date. 1Up racks are currently 6-8 week wait. I ended up buying new clips for a discontinued yakima roof rack that I had in storage... that I found in Hawaii. Ebay sellers for the same clips used were 2x retail. Pricier hitch racks were otherwise available but you get the idea. Putting bikes on the roof of a sedan is fine, much better than putting it in the trunk with the seats down like I did for a month.

On a side note, curious if people wear their wedding rings riding. Had my first good OTB crash this weekend and just had a few bruises except for a piece of skin missing on my ring finger. Wondering if that's a common occurrence or just a fluke. My ring has a tiny bit of play but not much and I was wearing gloves so struck me as a fluke.

Yeah, I wanted a 1up but when I was buying a month ago they told me it was closer to late August timeline. Ended up finding a Kuat in stock and have been happy with that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Homers BBBq posted:

Last year while riding at Winter Park I broke all the fingers on my left hand and I was barely able to get my ring off. It was swelled up to the point that we were seriously thinking about heading the emergency room for help, now I am either ringless or wearing a rubber ring.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Homers BBBq posted:

Fair; the hitch was in stock and is already ordered, also ordered a Kuat Sherpa that's supposed to be delivered next week, but we'll see. Definitely not a great amount of inventory available, more of a take-what-you-can-get deal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bicievino posted:

Yeah, I wanted a 1up but when I was buying a month ago they told me it was closer to late August timeline. Ended up finding a Kuat in stock and have been happy with that.

Man, sounds like I lucked out. Order a 1up on March 22 and shipped on March 30th. Hitch was also no problem, but who am I kidding I have a Subaru in Colorado.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got very lucky buying all new stuff in 2019 (bike, car, hitch, 1up, etc). I'm just hoping I don't need to replace anything until the shortages are settled.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Generally I take rings and necklaces off when doing sports or working with equipment that rotates but I'm a pretty cautious person, but have also seen a degloving in person and don't want to see one again.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well I already don't wear my wedding ring for stuff and I will continue to not wear it after that.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Broke the drive-side chainstay in two on my 2017 FS Haro Shift 27.5+ bike this weekend. I think I want to get an xc hardtail frame to build up with all these parts, as that's the kind of riding I prefer. I'm never going to get a nice frame right now, am I?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You probably can you'll just have to fast and flexible to have a couple in mind and pull the trigger right when they restock, will take more faffing to get it done but a couple of friends have gotten in-demand frames this year by keeping an eye out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I lost my wedding ring at the bottom of Lake Ontario years ago :smith:

Also the covid driven supply chain insanity is really bad. Bikes still aren't really showing up but we did get some Covid specials from Marin so if you're in the market for an entry level hardtail or know someone who is have em look up a Marin dealer. This year they're actually pretty decent. Both 2*9s Shimano. The cheaper one is actually the better deal because it has Shimano hubs and brakes. The fork on both are meh coil springs but they're fine for entry level and can be replaced with a Recon for not much. It's QR but you can't expect much for sub 1K MTBs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I don’t wear my ring for any actual activity. Hell, I’ve probably worn in maybe 5 times in the last year because of the pandemic and me rarely leaving the house for anything that isn’t a quick shopping run.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

As someone who can’t wear a ring (or watch or bracelet) I can’t loving imagine riding with my wedding ring.

Well I can because once things get back to normal I’ll finally get my tattooed ring that I missed for our 10th anniversary last year. But not a ring ring.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

This ring chat is a good reminder I should probably remember to take my bike spoke bracelet off when I ride MTBs. That would absolutely destroy my wrist if it got hooked on a brake lever.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

if you are going to wear your ring go with silicon. cheap and if you lose of break it who cares.

I wear my watch riding, never thought of it as a real issue.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

tylertfb posted:

Broke the drive-side chainstay in two on my 2017 FS Haro Shift 27.5+ bike this weekend. I think I want to get an xc hardtail frame to build up with all these parts, as that's the kind of riding I prefer. I'm never going to get a nice frame right now, am I?

Local shop had a Banshee Paradox frame new in box in my size! Lucky. Will probably have it up and riding by the weekend!

https://www.bansheebikes.com/paradox-v3

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I wear my ring all the time and never really think about it but I have a low profile ring

As for damaging my hand never really though of that. I always wear gloves at least

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just like working with power tools or carrying heavy objects, don’t wear metal rings/bands/bracelets or anything that’ll deglove your fingers/hands should they get caught on something.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm never riding with my ring again. I had a friend who would take his off during really gnarly stuff but it was in case he fell and broke his finger and it became swollen. De-gloving is a whole new worry. I had a scare not long ago where my left hand got caught on a branch and it ripped a finger off my glove. It spooked me pretty good and this is a nice reminder.

In other news, I told Tom at Vassago I'm no longer interested due to lack of communication. Not surprisingly, I haven't heard back. It's okay overall; we're trying to buy our first house and given the current environment, we're going to spend as much on inspections as I would have paid for a bike. In lieu of a new bike I'm going to get a complete teardown done by my local bike shop. They'll take the bike apart entirely and overhaul the hubs and replace cables and service everything else, which should help carry my eleven year old hard tail a little farther until the bike market calms down, and we're no longer hemorrhaging money on a home purchase.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

me your dad posted:

I'm never riding with my ring again. I had a friend who would take his off during really gnarly stuff but it was in case he fell and broke his finger and it became swollen. De-gloving is a whole new worry. I had a scare not long ago where my left hand got caught on a branch and it ripped a finger off my glove. It spooked me pretty good and this is a nice reminder.

In other news, I told Tom at Vassago I'm no longer interested due to lack of communication. Not surprisingly, I haven't heard back. It's okay overall; we're trying to buy our first house and given the current environment, we're going to spend as much on inspections as I would have paid for a bike. In lieu of a new bike I'm going to get a complete teardown done by my local bike shop. They'll take the bike apart entirely and overhaul the hubs and replace cables and service everything else, which should help carry my eleven year old hard tail a little farther until the bike market calms down, and we're no longer hemorrhaging money on a home purchase.

I used to build air cargo pallets at an old job, and part of the training was the importance of not wearing jewelry while working on them. I’ll never forget the pictures. :ohdear:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My ring is tungsten carbide.

If I break my finger doing something stupid (I played gaelic football/hurling and rock climb) they'd have to sledge hammer it off my goddamn hand to get it off.

Big ol' nope.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It'll shatter at least. Probably better than having it cut off.

Not gonna wear mine anymore while riding...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My ring is tungsten carbide.

If I break my finger doing something stupid (I played gaelic football/hurling and rock climb) they'd have to sledge hammer it off my goddamn hand to get it off.

Big ol' nope.

We'd actually sedate you and compress your swollen finger with a variety of tools while using lube to try to get it off. We've called the fire department a few times to bring an angle grinder in which would probably work with a diamond grinding wheel against tungsten carbide, I think?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Going to Park City in a few weeks, looking for a good route for a larger, pedal-powered day. Group is strong intermediate with one advanced rider (not me lol) comfortable with jump and tech features.

We've done the Epic before, no thank you on a repeat. We are definitely going to hit up South Maple Hollow in SLC on the day out because those are super fun. Also probably Deer Valley bike park one day because my partner really enjoyed our time there before. Also did Sardine Peak up by Ogden but we don't really want to drive that far. Did Round Hill and it was a great system but a little tame.

So looking hopefully for something on the Park City side of the Wasatch since we're staying at Wasatch Mtn State Park. Any thoughts on Flying Dog? Is the stuff near the Olympic Park good? It's really hard to tell from Trailforks/MTB Project because there are just so many goddamn trails.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

We'd actually sedate you and compress your swollen finger with a variety of tools while using lube to try to get it off. We've called the fire department a few times to bring an angle grinder in which would probably work with a diamond grinding wheel against tungsten carbide, I think?

yeah but it'll superheat the tungsten carbide as he's getting it ground off. He might just wanna deglove and get it over with

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

thatguy posted:

yeah but it'll superheat the tungsten carbide as he's getting it ground off. He might just wanna deglove and get it over with

No it wont. A doctor I know had to get the fire department to cut a guy's scrotum stretcher off once. They put a butter knife between metal and skin, and kept the area cool with water.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

No it wont. A doctor I know had to get the fire department to cut a guy's scrotum stretcher off once. They put a butter knife between metal and skin, and kept the area cool with water.

Well, that’s certainly the gnarliest thing I’ve heard this week.

On a lighter note, does anyone have a Garmin Edge 530? I got one as a gift for my birthday and I’m curious if anyone has any tips on using it before I give it a trial run this weekend.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

:stonk:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Safety Dance posted:

:stare:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Safety Dance posted:

:jackin:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

We’ll don’t need advice on Whistler this weekend as someone drilled through our garbage access and then through the second garage door and stole my bike last night. rear end in a top hat left the drill in its place but didn’t take the battery charging a few feet away so jokes on them I guess.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Voodoofly posted:

We’ll don’t need advice on Whistler this weekend as someone drilled through our garbage access and then through the second garage door and stole my bike last night. rear end in a top hat left the drill in its place but didn’t take the battery charging a few feet away so jokes on them I guess.

Oh gently caress, I'm really sorry. Following along with your riding has been really cool and I hope you're able to be made whole again soon.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VacaGrande posted:

Oh gently caress, I'm really sorry. Following along with your riding has been really cool and I hope you're able to be made whole again soon.

Thanks. We have renters insurance so hopefully they don’t hassle us. It was an obvious break in and we have the police report.

I hope those pedals spike the rear end in the shins a few times trying to pedal that heavy rear end bike with no power getting it out of here

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks. We have renters insurance so hopefully they don’t hassle us. It was an obvious break in and we have the police report.

I hope those pedals spike the rear end in the shins a few times trying to pedal that heavy rear end bike with no power getting it out of here

Try calling around to local pawn shops? Local Facebook sales, craigslist/kijijihijijiji or whatever

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

You're in Vancouver right? Can you post a photo of the stolen bike (here)?

e: Oh it's the e bike posted earlier in the thread right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's quite lovely. Goondolences and hopefully insurance takes care of you. gently caress thieves.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

You're in Vancouver right? Can you post a photo of the stolen bike (here)?

e: Oh it's the e bike posted earlier in the thread right?

Yeah North Vancouver.

https://project529.com/garage/bikes/pump-cassette-saddle-handlebar/bolo

There is the Project 529 link. Good news is since they didn’t get the battery it’s going to be hard yo get a replacement. Bad news is it means it’s probably being stripped for parts.

Update: Well, my bike shop is having me come in at 3:30 to to set up a demo bike for me to borrow this weekend so I can still go riding on my Whistler trip. Still haven't heard back from an insurance adjuster.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 17, 2021

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Voodoofly posted:

Update: Well, my bike shop is having me come in at 3:30 to to set up a demo bike for me to borrow this weekend so I can still go riding on my Whistler trip. Still haven't heard back from an insurance adjuster.

That's a good bike shop.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

poo poo dude that is loving brutal having your bike stollen. Awesome that the shop is helping you out for your trip.

Bike theft is so bad in this region. Some dude got his bike jacked on fromme the other day while using the washroom.

I actually zip tied the manual releases on my garage doors after some people in squamish had their bikes stolen out of their garages by people fishing the latches through the weatherstrip.

I hope your insurance claim goes smoothly and the shop can get you a new bike soon. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

..people fishing the latches through the weatherstrip.

That's insane and bike theft in the region is indeed hosed.

Been in Kamloops for the last few days riding. Pretty ideal spring riding conditions before things dry out and fire season.

Doing the Merritt Crown (120km, 3k m of elevation, less than 12 hours) is tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

For folks elsewhere in the Province, there are a bunch of local routes that have been plotted: Vancouver Island, Vancouver etc. Details on their eventbrite page and elsewhere. Can be done anytime between tomorrow and July 4.