Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

My friends and I are hitting the theater on Sunday because if there's something I know, it's other loving dorks. :getin:

Waxwork's putting out the 4 LP box set tomorrow. There's no way it's not going to be way too expensive, so I hope it's at least swanky, too.

I cheated and nabbed the 3 CD greatest hits set off of ebay to get an instant wide sample of their career. I'll continue to keep an eye out for LPs but I'm bracing for a price increase and I've already hit up half the local shops I know of already. Hell, a documentary did wonders for Anvil I'm sure the boost from this will be quite welcome for Sparks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I listened to their CBB appearance today and am probably going to hit up a matinee tomorrow now that I have the day off.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Moe_Rahn posted:

Chris Hannah of Propagandhi is selling off pieces of his personal vinyl collection, via a Winnipeg record store. '80s and early '90s punk and metal, with more being listed every Sunday. Only problem is that shipping from Canada is a bit of a fucker right now.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/eyeandearcontrol/profile

here's what I picked up:

Why on earth is it $45 Canadian to ship a record to the US? Still pandemic issues?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

lament.cfg posted:

Love it when vinyl arrives a week before streaming

What model is your turntable? I was considering an upgrade and been looking at Fluance, would like something that uses a dark wood.

How do you like it?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

I got plenty of other things recently but Herb is inevitable, thanks pwn!

:tipshat:

My eyes have been itching and my nose has been runny for a few days. I thought it was river water (I swim every day), until I realized tonight that the vinyl copy of that album I bought Saturday is musty as all get out and has been sitting a few feet from me all week. I stuck it in the other room but will probably toss it at some point. Too bad.

Re: Sparks movie, it ain’t playing around here. I kinda wish I had a different life that led to me getting into Sparks much earlier. I even saw their SNL performance many many years ago. I guess I just watched it and forgot about them. But it feels too late to get into a whole rear end new band, now (especially now, with the film coming out.) if someone tells me which one album I should get if I get no other Sparks album*, I may consider it.

*I really don’t cotton to greatest hits albums

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

it dont matter posted:

What model is your turntable? I was considering an upgrade and been looking at Fluance, would like something that uses a dark wood.

How do you like it?

I got the RT82, which is the entry point of the higher tier of models. The 80/81 have an integrated preamp, which I didn't want. Pretty sure the only upgrades from the RT82 are the stylus, and then the acrylic platter on the most expensive one.

I like it a lot. Rock solid, the speed is stable, great sound. But i'm not an audiophile by any means.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

:tipshat:

My eyes have been itching and my nose has been runny for a few days. I thought it was river water (I swim every day), until I realized tonight that the vinyl copy of that album I bought Saturday is musty as all get out and has been sitting a few feet from me all week. I stuck it in the other room but will probably toss it at some point. Too bad.

Re: Sparks movie, it ain’t playing around here. I kinda wish I had a different life that led to me getting into Sparks much earlier. I even saw their SNL performance many many years ago. I guess I just watched it and forgot about them. But it feels too late to get into a whole rear end new band, now (especially now, with the film coming out.) if someone tells me which one album I should get if I get no other Sparks album*, I may consider it.

*I really don’t cotton to greatest hits albums

It's really tough to say "Just one album!" because they're one of those bands that always sound like themselves but never always the same. If people ask were to start I say Kimono My House for their early glam rock period and No. 1 in Heaven for the start of their extensive use of synthesizers. They're both just very good albums too. Don't listen to the Big Beat. The Big Beat sucks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I posted awhile ago about Muse - Origin of Symmetry getting a 20th anniversary remix/master vinyl in July and the whole thing just dropped digitally today.

It’s very good if you liked the album as much as I did growing up.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Tompkins Square is having a bandcamp sale this morning with limited quantities. Picked up the Daniel Bachman and Imaginational Anthem Vol. 9.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

$75 dang dollars and they didn't even put Sextown U.S.A. on it.

pwn posted:

But it feels too late to get into a whole rear end new band, now (especially now, with the film coming out.) if someone tells me which one album I should get if I get no other Sparks album*, I may consider it.
It's always time to get into new poo poo. :mmmhmm:

They're a band where if you ask what album to get into everyone's gonna have a completely different opinion, but if you're itching for some '70s Glam Rock, Kimono My House is the defacto go-to. If you'd like some '80s New Wave that's really stupid, Angst in My Pants is a personal favorite. If you wanna dance, No. 1 in Heaven is that sweet bridge connecting Disco to '80s electropop. If you wanna class it up, Lil Beethoven and if you want '90s Techno you're gonna have to ask someone else, 'cause I'm not into that Sparks era. :v:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 18, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Today is a good day.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Enos Cabell posted:

I listened to their CBB appearance today and am probably going to hit up a matinee tomorrow now that I have the day off.

oh drat, was this as good as when Tears for Fears randomly showed up on there? I haven't listened to CBB in years but might listen to this one

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Schremp Howard posted:

Why on earth is it $45 Canadian to ship a record to the US? Still pandemic issues?
Pandemic, customs, and $45 is enough to cover shipping to just about anywhere (and they're refunding if it ends up being less). I live in Missouri and I wound up getting $18CAD back as overage on the shipping.

There's a couple things I'm looking for on Discogs that I can only find from European sellers and it's just about as bad. I keep telling myself that I am absolutely loving not going to pay the equivalent of $20 to ship a $5 7".

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 18, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IG-88 posted:

Today is a good day.

Mines listed as arriving too. Nice to have the record so dumb half the internet traffic to the page didn't click 'Buy' because they thought it was an April Fools joke.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Melt-Banana tour dates for those who care (you should care).

Idk who those other guys are to be honest!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IG-88 posted:

Today is a good day.

What does this even consist of?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will always see Melt-Banana.

Igorrr sounds like it's gonna be a fun one, but I have no idea what the live show's gonna be. It's either gonna be 20 people on stage or two dudes playing to a backing tape.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

That’s a good poster.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

oh drat, was this as good as when Tears for Fears randomly showed up on there? I haven't listened to CBB in years but might listen to this one

They were game, and it was fun, but both brothers and Edgar Wright appeared via webcam so it kinda suffered for that. That Tears for Fears episode was an all-timer.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Moe_Rahn posted:

Pandemic, customs, and $45 is enough to cover shipping to just about anywhere (and they're refunding if it ends up being less). I live in Missouri and I wound up getting $18CAD back as overage on the shipping.

There's a couple things I'm looking for on Discogs that I can only find from European sellers and it's just about as bad. I keep telling myself that I am absolutely loving not going to pay the equivalent of $20 to ship a $5 7".

Getting a refund is nice for sure and more reasonable. I’m in the same boat as you, longingly looking at records that for whatever reason are only in Europe and effectively double in price when shipping is factored in.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I will always see Melt-Banana.

:same:

BigFactory posted:

That’s a good poster.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

or two dudes playing to a backing tape
Sleaford Mods and John Maus are good shows too, nothing wrong with it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

John Maus shows are kind of a ripoff. They're always only 14 minutes and 88 seconds long.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sleaford Mods and John Maus are good shows too, nothing wrong with it
There is only one band that truly gets it right:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Boinks posted:

When you get it you should post your thoughts here. That thing blew me away after only hearing the CD for years.

Arrived today and it sounds good. Honestly I haven’t listened to DSotM in a while and probably mostly did in my friends car in high school off a burned CD.

There are definitely parts that sound, for lack of a more expressive term, a little flat or muddy. Like sometimes I want certain sounds or instruments to stand out a bit more. I have two records that blow me away each time with how they sound: Random Access Memories and Tracy Chapman. I don’t think this pressing is up there but it’s a perfectly good record.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Toe Rag posted:

One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. It’s been a decade since I last saw them though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Toe Rag posted:

Why in the world would they choose to play in a lovely Chicago suburbs instead of one of the dozen good venues in Chicago

:sigh: wish I could make that but ain't happening

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
First time here. Started collecting roughly a year ago after moving back to Chicago.

Went to my neighborhood record store today and was surprised to find a copy of Me'shell Ndegeocello's Peace Beyond Passion RSD still in stock

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

Also added to my Chieftains collection

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. It’s been a decade since I last saw them though.

last couple of times I've seem em they were touring as a duo, seemed like it made it easier for them to gig around the states. Nothing beats the full group though

I finally ordered myself a Fluance RT85 turntable, been staring at one in my cart for like 2 years.

I'm going to make my kids sit and listen to each and every one of my albums and make them study the liner notes as I explain how that particular record was acquired and how it changed my life.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What's a decent source of liners and plastic jackets these days? I tried bags unlimited like the OP recommended but it doesn't look like the same store front. Now that I have a few albums, it's probably time to buy some things to keep the vinyl in good working order.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

Hekk posted:

What's a decent source of liners and plastic jackets these days? I tried bags unlimited like the OP recommended but it doesn't look like the same store front. Now that I have a few albums, it's probably time to buy some things to keep the vinyl in good working order.

Do you have a record store that you like?
I've always just bought whatever liners/jackets as needed from whatever record store I happened to be in. I know it isn't a lot but I still feel like I'm supporting them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am about an hour and twenty minutes away from the nearest independent record store. I will check to see if any of them sell stuff online. I don't think I am making trip that far tomorrow but if not, I guess I can try again next time I go into the city.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
As much as you hate to support the amazon machine that's where I get my plastic sleeving for records inside and out. I just get the mofi ones for inners but I can toss out a link for the outers when I'm not on mobile (I hate doing links on mobile because I am a luddite and find it cumbersome).

edit: Boom a link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RA7IZS/?coliid=IWD2AK28IG835&colid=299P1XTEU6UAC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 20, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hekk posted:

Seconding the MoFi sleeves. Also Bags Unlimited is still the same one mentioned in the OP. I use thier outers and I like them. They will also comfortably accommodate a double LP and you can even get a triple LP in them without them being too loose for single LPs. I'll post the ones I buy when I find them on their horrible website.

edit: These are they. You can definitely get them cheaper than this because I only pay 20 bucks for them but I get them from a store. It might be tougher if you can't find a record store near you but I'm sure a website will have them cheaper than this.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/4186/12-record-jacket-sleeve-font-colorredno-flapfontbr12-34-x-12-34-x-b3-mil-bpolyethylene

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 20, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just one of many I've picked up lately. This guy is so stylish. Never heard of him before.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Can't believe U2 would put out such a controversial record.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 20, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's some weird nazi bot that vandalizes trending releases every few months.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
That's a relief, I was worried U2 had just dropped a record called "Do you think fags are human? Get them the hell out of America!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I always forget there's a front page to discogs. My bookmark just goes straight to my dashboard.