Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Froist posted:

Ah yeah, I missed the "Vita" part of your original post. Just tried this out and it does feel a lot more natural, but running in RetroArch (to get configurable controls) is far lower performance than RetroRun on arkOS. Shame.

I really can't recommend a hacked Vita enough. The Vita library is great, PSP and PSX backwards compatibility is around 90% and right now a sheer ton of Android ports are being ported since the Vita also runs on ARM: Max Payne, Bully, the GTA games, AM2R and a bunch more. Also RetroArch runs decently enough for everything for 8 and 16 bit systems. It's gotten so I don't even touch my 3DS unless I want to play a DS or 3DS game, or I need to run a GBA game natively.

Also does RetroArch have decent PSP emulation? Maybe that version will run better than Dreamcast/GC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Walla posted:

Also does RetroArch have decent PSP emulation? Maybe that version will run better than Dreamcast/GC.

There's a PPSSPP core, so depending on what you're running it on, yeah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1405908846250315780?s=19

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat they’re already gone. That’s one of the colors I wanted, too.

Oh well, maybe Nintendo will notice that every one of these will sell out in minutes.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 18, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jesus Christ. I literally bought one on Mercari last night for way more

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for posting about it though! Good looking out.

If this happens again and someone snags I’ll happily toss up a 30$ finders fee.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Everyone loves the clamshell. Also,

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you check your facebook marketplace, I got two 3DS XL + 16 games for $50

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Am I correct in assuming that 351Elec P works on the 351m since the only difference is the exterior shell?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Am I correct in assuming that 351Elec P works on the 351m since the only difference is the exterior shell?

Yeah. Did this myself maybe less than a month ago.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah. Did this myself maybe less than a month ago.

I don't even know what size card the thing shipped with, is that big enough to just flash elec on it and use that or do I need to get another one?

Just got the unit in today trying to do the day 1 setup stuff on it

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
You’ll want to get a new SD card since the one that comes with these things is very low quality and has a tendency to crap out at some point.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
My sd card died immediately when I received my 351p and tried to flash 351elec on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Plus SD cards are really cheap compared to the risk of losing a bunch of save files.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
I've ordered an rp2 after seeing loads of good reviews and just caught up on the thread now and getting concerned but still going to wait and see how it is when it arrives.
One thing I'm wondering is if these things can all run PS1, N64 and sort of Dreamcast then how come they can't work Saturn games? Is it just because hardly anyone bought one or is there some problem with emulating them?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Because Saturn is harder to emulate than any of those. Hear it from a MAME dev:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/...web2x&context=3

quote:

The Saturn was a complex system with too many odd limitations etc.

A fair bit of the software seems to have been badly programmed, not correctly turning off registers, working 'by chance' etc. so in order to emulate it you have to carefully take into account all the limits, the things that can't be turned on at the same time, the side-effects etc.

The Saturn also uses 2 distinct Video Processors, one dedicated to tilemaps, the other sprites (which get drawn to a framebuffer) Both, for 2D hardware, are complex devices (the sprites so much so they could actually be used for '3D' games). It's also possible to do things like mid-screen effects using timers / interrupts on the tilemap layer (at least) which when combined with the complexity of the tilemap hardware in the first place can further complicate the code. It becomes important to know exactly when tile data etc. is fetched by the hardware.

Some software also requires both SH2 processors to be running in tight sync (which clashes with one of the most common optimization techniques, because recompilers aren't really suited to cases where 2 CPUs need to run in step) Timing is important for many components too. Several titles expect full accurate emulation of the SH2 caching etc. as well, which again can cause issues with some of the more common optimizations.

You've also got a problem where very little actually took full advantage of the system, various pieces of hardware were underutilized, different games making use of different things. There's an entire DSP in there for maths processing etc. that barely a handful of games use (possibly due to poor documentation from Sega at the time)

For the most part, if you're emulating it you can get away with emulating 4 CPUs (2 SH2s, the 68k and the DSP) while simulating the rest (as they're mostly I/O mcus, CD controller etc.) but that still introduces scope for error. Only recently has the CD controller ROM even been dumped, and afaik the internal ROMs for the other MCUs aren't dumped at all.

While none of these reasons alone are enough to make emulation a complete nightmare (there are plenty of examples of individual systems making extensive use of most of them, yet still being well emulated) the combination of all of them is a pain, meaning to get 100% compatibility you're going to need something close to the cycle level accuracy of Bsnes / Higan but for a system which was probably 10x more powerful than a SNES in the first place. As you can imagine the performance requirements of emulating such a system at that level of accuracy are absurd.

Now Saturn emulation has come a LONG way in the past decade but it's still going to be a bit too difficult for these underpowered $100~ handhelds

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The legend was that Sega built the Saturn as a primarily 2d system and bolted on the second video processor at the last minute when they saw the PlayStation for the first time and realized Sony was going to eat their lunch

It turns out that this was not true, but everybody including actual devs believed it because why the gently caress would you design a system like that on purpose

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They had the opposite of our chip shortage today, they had too many chips, so many they had to invent a console just to get rid of them

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

It turns out that this was not true, but everybody including actual devs believed it because why the gently caress would you design a system like that on purpose
Isn't it the exact same design as the Atari 8-bit machines? (ANTIC: playfield, GTIA: sprites.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this thing is nice.

It feels a lot like a heavier switch but it feels nice in the hands.

Windows updates are a bitch though lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What are you playing on it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

What are you playing on it?

Windows update currently lol.

I’m just trying to get everything installed for now. I always forget how long it takes to set a fresh PC up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So Far Cry 3 runs amazing and it doesn’t make the fans kick up loud at all.

Obviously all streaming works fantastic as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this thing is nice.

It feels a lot like a heavier switch but it feels nice in the hands.

Windows updates are a bitch though lol

Are those analogue sticks any better than the lovely joycon ones? They look much the same. That d-pad also looks a little flat for my liking but I guess it's hard to tell from the angle. Who made that thing anyway?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are those analogue sticks any better than the lovely joycon ones? They look much the same. That d-pad also looks a little flat for my liking but I guess it's hard to tell from the angle. Who made that thing anyway?

They are the same as the joycons for better or worse. I do think they could stand to be a little larger. They used those sticks because those are the most commonly made ones these days.

The d-pad is actually concave and works pretty drat well so far. I’m gonna install some emulators tomorrow and give it a real test but I like how it feels from the few games I’ve played.

It’s made by this company

https://www.ayaneo.com/aya-neo

Which is brand new to the handheld market but has so far shown great promise. The build quality of this thing really feels great for a first gen device.

I might see about getting some joycon caps to make the sticks a little larger though.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

What would be the cheapest handheld I can buy that can play Skies of Arcadia?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I like the RG351V except the screen size seems a tad too small. There's probably a good chance the next iteration will have a bigger screen, right?

e: also this thread would make a good fit for the retro subforum

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

busalover posted:

You know, I thought for sure it was.

VG pls fix

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DoubleT2172 posted:

What would be the cheapest handheld I can buy that can play Skies of Arcadia?
The RG351p or 351v running ArkOS should run it fine

busalover posted:

I like the RG351V except the screen size seems a tad too small. There's probably a good chance the next iteration will have a bigger screen, right?
There is already the Odroid Go Super and RGB10 Max which have widescreen 5.5" screens, but note that because of the widescreen the actual viewing area does not increase as much as you think after gaining 2 inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP994CJgdJw

There are also a bunch of upcoming 5.x" handhelds, like the KT R1, RG552 (this may or may not end up being "the next iteration"), and Project Valhalla, but who knows when they're actually coming out given everything going on.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

busalover posted:

Yeah that’s my only complaint about mine as an aging dude with already bad eyes. I’d kill for a 5” 4:3 device.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah that’s my only complaint about mine as an aging dude with already bad eyes. I’d kill for a 5” 4:3 device.

Yeah that's what I'm after. Should have mentioned that I only really care about 4:3, all that new-fangled wide-screen stuff is not for me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

busalover posted:

Yes, I too only want twelve people to see this thread

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
In the retro subform we just talk about retro consoles in the general retrogames thread anyway

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
RG351 devices are kinda sorta getting android:

https://youtu.be/tqTdqTyLFMM

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
What's the recommended firmware for an RG351v? I ordered one this morning and want to get everything on the SD card before it gets here

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

hamsystem posted:

What's the recommended firmware for an RG351v? I ordered one this morning and want to get everything on the SD card before it gets here

I've used 351Elec since day 1 and I've been really happy with it. There was no fiddling required except for getting a cheat file downloaded and transferred over with ftp. Retro Game Corps on youtube has reviews of the different firmwares and guides on how to install them all if you feel like checking that out.

Does anyone know if there's an updated cheat file for retroarch floating around anywhere? Google didn't come up with anything offhand. I know I can add my own cheats but it'd be nice to avoid the tedium if possible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
+1 351Elec

+1 finding the setup guide from RetroGameCorps

It’s really the best place to start on the V.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Rolo posted:

+1 351Elec

+1 finding the setup guide from RetroGameCorps

It’s really the best place to start on the V.

Awesome, thanks goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If I want to plug something into my TV and play PS1, N64, and SNES games, what are my best options? Portability is of zero concern. Being able to Bluetooth a DS4 is essential though.