Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, I have some of those old devices laying around I probably just need to get rid of before they go up in flames in whatever drawer they've been chucked into since forever. Like what use do I really realistically have for an old 30GB Zune with a screen that's gone bad?

I've been holding onto it with the intention of repairing it for years... I just don't think it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Feels like 5G on the 12 is often overlooked. It’s so worth it to have 5G on the phone especially if you are in an urban area where tower congest might be a thing.
The difference is between laggy/non-usable data connection and a responsive, low latency fast connection.

Also before you say 5G is garbage, seems like 5G is common in most urban area now. Even though the mmwave version is as rare as unicorn and problematic with signal penetration, a lot of tower are using 5G NR/New Radio where they just stack 5G on top of existing LTE bands to provide more bandwidth.

This way it’s still using the lower frequencies with similar building penetration abilities, but still provide extra bandwidth and channels for the phones that can use it.

Phones with 5G NR would be a much better buy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Encrypted posted:

Feels like 5G on the 12 is often overlooked. It’s so worth it to have 5G on the phone especially if you are in an urban area where tower congest might be a thing.
The difference is between laggy/non-usable data connection and a responsive, low latency fast connection.

Also before you say 5G is garbage, seems like 5G is common in most urban area now. Even though the mmwave version is as rare as unicorn and problematic with signal penetration, a lot of tower are using 5G NR/New Radio where they just stack 5G on top of existing LTE bands to provide more bandwidth.

This way it’s still using the lower frequencies with similar building penetration abilities, but still provide extra bandwidth and channels for the phones that can use it.

I loved 5G on my Pixel 5 using Project Fi. Except now that I'm daily driving an iPhone, I can't do that because, for whatever reason, Fi doesn't support 5G on iPhones. Maybe later when the 13 drops?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Is project fi still good for the money?

Mint mobile that uses similar tmobile network has much better deals eg. 15/month for 4gb and 30/month for unlimited. It has 5g enabled too.

International roaming doesn't seem to be as big of a draw on dual sim iphones now as you can just use the airalo app to download and activate an esim and buy as much data as you want.

Doing dual sim also allow you to make free US calls when you are oversea. Something like the airalo data sim will allow your US sim to open a data tunnel and then essentially using wifi-calling through the airalo mobile data pipe to make and receive free US calls and texts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Encrypted posted:

Is project fi still good for the money?

I read the Fi thread and I'd say probably not. Mint Mobile or if you Have spectrum they have really good cheap service as well.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Welp. I remember considering fi a while ago but stayed away after readings stories on delayed/failed text delivery or problems with calls. Guess it was good I didn't go down that rabbit hole.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fi is okay for me, I haven't had too many bad issues, but now with stuff like Ting offering $25 for their unlimited plan and Mint's $30 plan, I dunno.

I've been regularly hitting 2GB on my Flexible Fi plan which translates to $40 + tax/fees. Mint charges 3 months up-front though. Not sure how Ting is, but I heard the cs is much better than Google's.

I even moved my mother over to Fi because of how Boost was being crap to her with ads and the website constantly not working right.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I read the Fi thread and I'd say probably not. Mint Mobile or if you Have spectrum they have really good cheap service as well.

I switched from ATT to Xfinity mobile (which I'm pretty sure is exactly the same as Spectrum's service) about two years ago and have no complaints. $45 a month for unlimited.

And even though I have Xfinity internet/cable service, the mobile service is a separate bill, so I don't think you even have to be in an Xfinity/Spectrum service location to sign up for the mobile service. I guess having a physical store in the area might be beneficial, but I've done everything online so I can't speak to that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You have to have Xfinity services to sign up for Xfinity mobile. You can still retain it if you drop Xfinity internet/tv but they throw on very hefty fees that makes it not worth it.

But if you do have Xfinity it’s pretty cheap, Verizon MVNO, and no contract.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Has anyone else on the iPhone Upgrade Program had a hell of a time trying to just log in to the Citizens One website and check the status of their loan? I'm pretty sure that my loan would have been payed off with my most recent payment, but didn't receive a notification that it was done or anything. When I started the program in 2019 I think they had a different system. Now http://www.citizensoneloan.com/ redirects to https://www.fsdsapps.com/ecs/citizens-one-apple/#!/citizens-one-apple-auth/login. That system looks like it has no record of me, and making an account doesn't seem to have worked. When I called the number at the bottom of screen and selected "give me information about my loan", it said "please contact Apple about your loan" without even taking my loan number or anything. I'm going to try Apple next, but I feel like it shouldn't be this hard!

Edit: Ok, so an email from Citizens did eventually arrive it just took a little while. Creating a new account worked, and I think I actually have one more payment.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 18, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Encrypted posted:

Uh, what.

5G is worthless and nothing you say here actually gives any reasons to buy a device with it? Congestion during events? Yeah that's gonna be a problem anytime soon. The rest? Might as well use LTE.

4G isn't laggy or non-usable if there's no congestion. And where I am, if there's congestion, it's at the back end.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have no idea what people think 5G is or does because everyone saying it's anything but worthless apparently thinks it's inexplicable magic. Apart from the people who say it can fix congestion, which, sure, in NY and Tokyo.

In fixed installations I don't hit 4G's limits due to not wanting to spend that much on antennas, and in mobile use cases it's the battery for doing anything requiring that much bandwidth.

If you see an improvement, it's either QoS or the ISP failing to install enough towers, some of the biggest metropolises and massive events aside. I've seen properly installed 4G choke once, during a Rammstein concert. You won't feel the 10ms difference in latency (if that). And if you're using bandwidth above what 4G can do in mobile applications... what the gently caress are you doing? No, seriously, what are you doing? I legitimately want to know, it could be the next big thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

thinkin about 5g

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Too Many Birds posted:

cool. i'll check back on the thread a bit later if anyone else chimes in, anywhere i should keep an eye on for sales? i've just been looking at eBay.

what carrier are you on? are you down to get on a contract or do you want contract-free?

I mean, if you’re down to finance and lock-in to a carrier for a year or two or whatever you can get pretty much any phone you want, often at a pretty steep discount.

Having upgraded from a 6 & then refurbished 6S to a 12 Pro in 2020, the shift forward from the old body style to the new one has been really refreshing. If I were upgrading from a 6 an SE would certainly feel really nice but I’d probably try to shoot for a 12 if you can get your carrier to help pay for it somehow.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 18, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Uh, what.

5G is worthless and nothing you say here actually gives any reasons to buy a device with it? Congestion during events? Yeah that's gonna be a problem anytime soon. The rest? Might as well use LTE.

4G isn't laggy or non-usable if there's no congestion. And where I am, if there's congestion, it's at the back end.

endlessmonotony posted:

I have no idea what people think 5G is or does because everyone saying it's anything but worthless apparently thinks it's inexplicable magic. Apart from the people who say it can fix congestion, which, sure, in NY and Tokyo.

In fixed installations I don't hit 4G's limits due to not wanting to spend that much on antennas, and in mobile use cases it's the battery for doing anything requiring that much bandwidth.

If you see an improvement, it's either QoS or the ISP failing to install enough towers, some of the biggest metropolises and massive events aside. I've seen properly installed 4G choke once, during a Rammstein concert. You won't feel the 10ms difference in latency (if that). And if you're using bandwidth above what 4G can do in mobile applications... what the gently caress are you doing? No, seriously, what are you doing? I legitimately want to know, it could be the next big thing.

5G does this to people.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

bawfuls posted:

I have a 6S that is on it's last legs (cracked screen, second battery deteriorating) and would like to replace it with the SE (I specifically don't want to lose the physical home button, and don't want a larger form factor).

Should I just do it now or wait till the September refresh? Will I get a better deal on the current SE (or a new SE with better internals) if I wait, or do I risk it being discontinued and unavailable in a few months?

I bought a 64 GB SE in November to replace my 6 and love it

I would just buy one now. Battery isn’t great but that’s my only gripe

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Did iOS always constantly send/receive system service location data? I just switched phones and I don't remember if I had the status bar icon toggle set to off on my old phone.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

endlessmonotony posted:

Uh, what.

It's just what I've seen with mint mobile :shrug:

Here, at the exact same location switching between LTE and 5G

Packet drops and almost 1000ms of latency using LTE

Pretty fast 5G with responsiveness similar to wifi

I checked and they were both connected to 1700/2100Mhz, one is band 66 of LTE, other is n66 with 5G. The tower could be deprioritizing LTE mint users due to congestion.
But hey, at least I can hop over to 5G and get a better connection.

Also the user experience is exactly what that latency was showing, laggy with sites not really loading from time to time on LTE, and everything loads fast and responsive after switching to 5G. I tried multiple times too with similar result/experience.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 18, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wifi 6 is designed to be much more usable in high congestion areas. Maybe there's some confusion there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing I've noticed since getting a 5G phone (at least on verizon) when it switches to LTE everything is a lot worse.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Charles posted:

Wifi 6 is designed to be much more usable in high congestion areas. Maybe there's some confusion there.

5G is much better than early LTE in high congestion areas.

But then MIMO got common for LTE too so all the difference you see is the ISP cheaping out. Again. And once 5G gets common enough, all the advantage it seems to have vanishes. Well, except in Tokyo.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

endlessmonotony posted:

5G can use the same amount of spectrum or frequency much more efficiently than 4G due to the use of OFDM and other techniques.

And right now they are deploying 5G NR that stacks on top of existing 4G spectrum and dynamically switches the spectrum between 4G and 5G depending on the client. So yeah users can experience better throughput at the exact same location using exact same frequency by just switching to 5G.

I mean we can see similar speed improvement while using similar amount of spectrum/frequency on other things too, like cable internet using DOCSIS 3.1 to cram much more data through the same block of frequency compare to DOCSIS 2.0. Interestingly OFDM channels was also used on DOCSIS 3.1 too.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

endlessmonotony posted:

5G is much better than early LTE in high congestion areas.

But then MIMO got common for LTE too so all the difference you see is the ISP cheaping out. Again. And once 5G gets common enough, all the advantage it seems to have vanishes. Well, except in Tokyo.
So what you are saying is when the 5G tower gets crowded over time then the speed will drop? How is that worse than only having LTE?

Especially since you can at least switch between LTE and available 5G to see which one suits your needs better, vs getting stuck on LTE :shrug:

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 18, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

Did iOS always constantly send/receive system service location data? I just switched phones and I don't remember if I had the status bar icon toggle set to off on my old phone.
Yes. Well not sure it’s constant but it does stuff regularly enough that it’ll probably always show it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Perhaps you had opted out of more of the system services location settings?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I will say that I had 850mbps download speed on 5Gmm the other day and was blown away.

It was in a parking lot so it wasn’t super useful. But it was impressive to see speeds that fast on a cell network.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

endlessmonotony posted:

I consistently get around 50 megabits on 4g and around 300 on 5g. That isn’t ‘worthless’. I hotspot my phone to install steam games because it’s literally 10x faster than my home internet connection.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Either is fine and it is so tower dependant that arguing which is better or worse is futile.

5g does seem to chew my battery like crazy though.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

More like I'm arguing for having the option of using it at all is a good thing. You can still just disable it and go back to LTE if you like that sort of things.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nitr0 posted:

5g does seem to chew my battery like crazy though.

I have 5G forced to on and haven't noticed any battery issues. I don't have mmWave though.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Won’t see any speed increase until you get to 60% vaccination in your area :agesilaus:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Something I find hugely hilarious is that the very day I got my Pfizer shot, they turned on a 5g tower near my house and I suddenly had 5g reception at home.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The Lord Bude posted:

Something I find hugely hilarious is that the very day I got my Pfizer shot, they turned on a 5g tower near my house and I suddenly had 5g reception at home.

Near your house, in your house, same difference

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I want to make things abundantly clear if you could find a way to turn me into a 5G hotspot with a shot that also prevents me from getting a pandemic disease, sign me the gently caress up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also toss in a free ethernet jack so I can plug my desktop into myself.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Events are happening right now, so yeah, that is a problem “soon”.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I realize that with my iPhone loan being paid off next month my AppleCare+ that was included with the loan will end. I haven't used it at all during the 2 years i've had the phone, so I'd like to get something out of it if I can. My battery health is at 85%, if I bring in my phone to Apple now will they do a free battery replacement, or is that kind of up to the person i'm talking to?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

frogbs posted:

I realize that with my iPhone loan being paid off next month my AppleCare+ that was included with the loan will end. I haven't used it at all during the 2 years i've had the phone, so I'd like to get something out of it if I can. My battery health is at 85%, if I bring in my phone to Apple now will they do a free battery replacement, or is that kind of up to the person i'm talking to?

the official policy is that they don't do free replacements unless it's at 80% or lower, but if you tell them you're experiencing "unexpected shutdowns" when your battery indicator says you still have a few percent left they will probably do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

frogbs posted:

Generally 80% is the magic number.

E,f,b.