Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Well except in the ending when they decide to let the good cops solve everything

I'm not really sure where the big criticism of the ending is coming from in regards to this perspective. Like, what would you have liked to see happen instead? The metaverse is gone and the Phantom Thieves are no more after their final act of influence by shooting god in the head in front of the entire world. I thought it was a pretty straight-forward passing-of-the-torch scene with Sae, where she says "yeah you don't have the Metaverse anymore so we can't just fix the brains of bad people, so now it's up to all the people you've influenced to carry on your work" which is pretty clearly shown in the scene where all your social-links are able to get you out of juvie. I'm just not really sure what kind of ending people are looking for that doesn't involve a passing of the torch unless you change it wholesale so the phantom theives just keep doing what they're doing forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

we changed their hearts and the day was saved. if i needed every piece of media to align entirely w my political beliefs i would never enjoy anything

That isn't really what my complaint is at all

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

stev posted:

Yep. I think P4G gets away with it because it was a new platform and you can't just add stuff to a PS2 game but not offering Royal as DLC is an absolute dirt move, no matter how much stuff it ended up adding.

The funniest part was that they said they had no plans of making another Golden because they felt 5 was a complete product as is, which I sure remember because I was initially just gonna wait for Royal to come out on Switch instead of buying the less complete game before they said that, lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Getting fans to buy the game twice is a time honored jrpg tradition

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Ending on a letter writing campaign and asking your friend's sister, the Good Cop, to solve your problem is just so unspeakably lame that I would have preferred no coda at all tbh. Just, kill God roll credits would have been better imo

My read on that part is that it's more about the usual Persona-style "your bonds are what really save you" thing, where all of the people you've helped along the way now get to come help you in return. Also worth noting that the Good Cop sister decides as a result of her experiences to stop being a cop and become a defense attorney instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

That isn't really what my complaint is at all

And even then as well, it's totally fine to like a game and recognize that it has things about it that don't align with your political beliefs. Persona 5 though in my opinion, is a bad game for a gigantic host of other reasons beyond just the bad characters and really bad story.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

Royal’s ending does a much better job of sticking the thesis imo

:3 ^_^ we hate cops!! ;p :D

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm so glad today is Friday, I can sit at home and play video games all weekend and I cant wait.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Looper posted:

:3 ^_^ we hate cops!! ;p :D

don't be mean to haru ...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm never going to see the new ending stuff in Royal even if it is much better because playing through P5 again fills me with dread. There's so much boring padding and repetition in it that I can't do it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 18, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It wasn't even yet my political belief to destroy all cops when I played P5 and decided the coda was very lame

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Haru owns, gonna play the game again to date her

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm so glad today is Friday, I can sit at home and play video games all weekend and I cant wait.

I started on Days Gone last night after finished Rift Apart. Got through the tutorial only, but I am already feeling like I am going to bounce off this game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

P5 ending spoilers: Im gonna go out on a big limb and say that I think people who think P5s ending of "leave it to the adults" sucks are moreso reflecting on the reality of the real-world political situation of a person who is looking to fix big political institutions and wondering "what can I do" and are disappointed that the game's answer is "if we're being realistic, nothing now that you don't have superpowers"

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 18, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Andrast posted:

I'm never going to see the new ending stuff in Royal even if it is much better because playing through P5 again fills me with dread. There's so much boring padding and repetition in it that I can't do it.
You could just watch all the new cutscenes on youtube you know...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Grouchio posted:

I'm alerting ATLUS right now and you're going to Mega Jail.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

:effort:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I agree that the coda is disappointing, but I am not sure what I would have written there instead.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
there's only two good endings:

1) every character shows up for a big dance party ala the Labyrinth

2) a dog was behind everything that happened

if p5r doesn't have one or both of these then it's bad, sorry.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

factorio guy being a dumbshit is lol. whined about cancel culture out of nowhere and then a reddit mod deleted his post as the perfect capstone

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

here's what i'm wondering about persona 5: did anyone else enjoy the batting cage mini game as much as i do. it's so simple but i could spend hours doing it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Relax Or DIE posted:

there's only two good endings:

1) every character shows up for a big dance party ala the Labyrinth

2) a dog was behind everything that happened

if p5r doesn't have one or both of these then it's bad, sorry.

ai the somnium files is the best game ever made

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

I tried playing Royal after beating Base P5 and idk why it’s slowass start bothers me cause Im at the end of Route C/D of Nier Replicant but man is it slow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oddium posted:

here's what i'm wondering about persona 5: did anyone else enjoy the batting cage mini game as much as i do. it's so simple but i could spend hours doing it

my heart belongs to kamurocho's cages

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Jay Rust posted:

How many save files in a jrpg do you guys keep

one save and don't ask me to name it because i'll just mash the keyboard

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

I agree that the coda is disappointing, but I am not sure what I would have written there instead.

I feel like similar to the ending, people dislike Makoto for "wanting to be a cop" as her methodology of trying to go about fixing the police culture of Tokyo for similar reasons. But if that's her goal, again, what would you want her to do instead? And I sort of think that people's answer is "I want her to fix the problem without joining the police because of the implications that has for our real-world police problems".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

How many save files in a jrpg do you guys keep
I'm not playing any at the moment. I would've had two in P5.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I feel like similar to the ending, people dislike Makoto for "wanting to be a cop" as her methodology of trying to go about fixing the police culture of Tokyo for similar reasons. But if that's her goal, again, what would you want her to do instead? And I sort of think that people's answer is "I want her to fix the problem without joining the police because of the implications that has for our real-world police problems".
Yeah I hate how most folks write off Makoto as a narc when that's exactly how I dealt with bullies in highschool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please keep in mind Jay Rust is playing P5 for the first time so be careful with spoilers. We also have a Persona thread to argue about the ending in if you want :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

IIRC police in Japan are nowhere near as bad as they are in the west. Still an impossible situation though.

All cops are bastards, Japanese police just bully confessions out of suspects so they can always prove they lowered the crime rate by always catching the criminals who confess conveniently --

quote:

Some suspects will falsely admit guilt just to end a stressful interrogation, and interrogations in Japan can be very stressful. Police and prosecutors may hold ordinary criminal suspects for up to 23 days without charge—longer than most other rich countries allow even terrorist suspects to be detained. Access to defence lawyers during this period is limited. In theory, suspects have the right to remain silent; but in practice prosecutors portray silence as evidence of guilt.

Prosecutors put pressure on the police to extract confessions, and 23 days is plenty of time to extract one. Interrogators sometimes ram tables into a suspect, stamp on his feet or shout in his ears. Interviews can last for eight hours or more. Suspects are deprived of sleep and forced into physically awkward positions. Few people can withstand such treatment. "Not being able to sleep was the hardest for me," says Kazuo Ishikawa, who held out for 30 days before signing a confession he couldn’t read (he was illiterate at the time) to a murder he says he didn’t commit. He spent 32 years in prison and is still fighting to be exonerated.

They also hassle minorities exactly like what you expect cops to do.

Japan also brags about recidivism rates but lmao when literally 90% of your criminals are in jail from confessions actually made under duress, then they get out, they continue being not-criminals like they were all along before they were pressured into lying to confess.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

are you going to respond to the nintendo indie bit or not. breaking my back in the posting mines for what. feh ....

every now and again you get explicit confirmation that you got to someone and i have to say, its a joy everytime :D

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

A man chooses, a Chaos obeys

What can change the nature of Chaos??

Chaos... Chaos never changes.

But the Chaos refused to change...

We all make Chaos in life, but in the end, Chaos makes us...

The right Chaos in the right place can make all the difference in the word...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think if i went to japan they would not arrest me. in fact they would probably like me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

I'm alerting ATLUS right now and you're going to Mega Jail.

Life on the outside aint what it used to be

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

i think if i went to japan they would not arrest me. in fact they would probably like me

youd be friends with the cops??

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
lawddium

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

factorio guy being a dumbshit is lol. whined about cancel culture out of nowhere and then a reddit mod deleted his post as the perfect capstone

yeah this guy sucks it turns out

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

more like lauddium because, i am lauded

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Khanstant posted:

Japan also brags about recidivism rates but lmao when literally 90% of your criminals are in jail from confessions actually made under duress, then they get out, they continue being not-criminals like they were all along before they were pressured into lying to confess.

Japan's incarceration rate and crime rates are just about the lowest in the entire world but "literally 90%" of their prisoners are random, innocent people who were falsely convicted? Wouldn't the crime rate be higher since criminals are getting away with it "literally 90%" of the time?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

Japan's incarceration rate and crime rates are just about the lowest in the entire world but "literally 90%" of their prisoners are random, innocent people who were falsely convicted? Wouldn't the crime rate be higher since criminals are getting away with it "literally 90%" of the time?

im going to incarcerate you into a tombstone piledriver and leave you concussed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fell in a deep sims 4 hole last night, that games definitely a lot better than it was when it came out, especially if you pay a ridiculous amount of money for all the expansions, but I still kinda just have the urge to install sims 3 + generations, or heck, sims medieval

definitely dread a sims 5 ever coming out though