Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/1405921076320874497

So if i'm reading this right, "progressives" want to make 2022 about making sure there is a 6-3 chud SCOTUS instead of a 6-2 chud SCOTUS?

anyone who gives a poo poo or will give a poo poo about mitch mcconnell is already locked into their vote. it's the stupidest strategy, but of course we are dealing with...

the democrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...so it does nothing now? why would they ever take that bargain, just let it die instead, getting it passed nonbinding makes your supporters angry and makes your opponents angry, where's the win?

it now establishes a civilian oversight board which is nominated by local elected councils, which has to at least sign off on any police policies for them to go forward. this is the plan Lightfoot endorsed until in March 2020, when she realized the proposal as written meant Mayor couldn't overrule the board.

It should be noted that one of the guys that created the proposal said that the civilian oversight board will "of course" agree with the police on 95% of policy

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nichael posted:

the only one that didn't vote for slavery was a bush guy

If the liberal scotus justices were worried about legislating from the bench they could have just said the ghost of James Madison told them he felt really bad about the whole slavery thing and wanted them to do him a solid and rule against it here and that would have been about as legally rigorous as Scalia flipping out about his personal bugaboos.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Jun 18, 2021

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

I know that I can be a broken record on the whole prestige thing, but this is such a pure example of what I am talking about. Stephanie Psaki worked at one place, where she quickly climbed to director, likely due to a mix of being connected, the place being fairly small, and credentials. The position she now holds was created for her specifically ("Senior Advisor, Human Rights and Gender Equity"), and I guarantee you could find at least 1000 people with a more extensive track record on those two issues in the US. It is obvious that it was a family connection that landed her the role. So how can anyone argue with a straightface that she is qualified? Well, look at the prestige of the universities she attended! It's like mayor pete being qualified for everything from HUD to VA to transportation because he went to Harvard.

To anyone in the field of public health or human rights, if you asked them to name 1000 people they thought would be the most competent to be the newly created "Senior Advisor, Human Rights and Gender Equity," none of them would name Stephanie Psaki, and her history of being a program director of "Center" with 8 employees.

And if you look at the rest of the story, it's all sons and daughters barely a year out of college landing jobs, but they all come from Ivy backgrounds.

That is the big difference between republicans and democrats. Democrats try to cover nepotism with college prestige.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mind_Taker posted:

anyone who gives a poo poo or will give a poo poo about mitch mcconnell is already locked into their vote. it's the stupidest strategy, but of course we are dealing with...

the democrats!
It's ironic because they think that they need to go after swing voters instead of getting out new voters, and doing this only appeals to neither, only people who are happy holding out both their palms for more precious talking points to put on social media as they get poo poo on.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Flunky posted:

the most heinous crime in the liberal's mind: disrespecting titles and merit badges

what's even dumber is jared kushner has a degree from harvard, in government no less. harvard diploma for kushner: he must be judged by his individual merit. harvard diploma for the pskai sister: shut up and know your place

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1405928025762508804

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yah know, Deblasio may be a bitch but he really, really pissed off the cops.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I hope neither Adams nor Yang wins, but if it has to be one of those two then I hope it's Yang because Adams is literally a cop while Yang is just an insincere goofball who will faceplant constantly for four years in increasingly funny ways.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Imagine if the other 15 most dangerous occupations are remotely as bitchy as the troops and pigs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Chicago activists were fighting for a referendum for a directly elected civilian police board that negotiates the police contract
https://twitter.com/CAARPRNow/status/1402626810656010240?s=20

9 days later...
https://twitter.com/erin_hegarty/status/1405913527605473281?s=20

lol, the progressive wing of the Chicago city council tossed out the actual good part of the police reform proposal to get it passed

quick update.
https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1405928254733787137?s=20
this didn't pass anyway

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

well at least they abandoned their principles for nothing at all

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Joementum posted:

Yang is just an insincere goofball who will faceplant constantly for four years in increasingly funny ways.

President Yang is going to rule. I hope his twitter game is as on point as Trumps.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

well at least they abandoned their principles for nothing at all

Seems to be the DSA/Justice Dem ethos.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

can't wait for "saying anticapitalist things out loud" and "suggesting that we stop burning oil or else we'll all die" to be classified as expressions of extremist, violent ideologies lol

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Excelzior posted:

if we're going to have neofeudalism I wish we had like neon lances and robosteeds at least

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Seven Force posted:

Are you still looking for this?

No, but thanks for the offer!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ObamaFoundation/status/1405940503007449097?s=20

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cpt_Obvious posted:

remember that time he literally singlehandedly caused the arrest rate in NYC to fall like 75% for a week

by pissing off the NYPD so much they literally chose spiting him over hassling random black people

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

What I like about the absolute gem of a sentence is that it treats "lay facing" as a negative when it comes to media literacy. It's bad that this book about media literacy isn't aimed at experts.

Discendo Vox (I'm guessing that's who made that quote, based upon tone/context) is a very amusing poster. A highlight is the time that, in an effort to prove that the scary foreign media is propaganda and liberal US media isn't, he ended up deciding that a deliberate intent to deceive (something which he magically knows is true for the scary foreign media but not US media) is a necessary component for something to be propaganda.

Most liberals would just scoff and say it's common sense that the media they like isn't propaganda, but he instead feels the need to come up with some completely nonsensical and impossible to prove/disprove logical framework justifying his preexisting opinions.

Probably the sort of person who would be really into eugenics in the early 20th century.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SMH none of you have read the op; We've already discussed this and We decided you are wrong. Move on

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Discendo Vox (I'm guessing that's who made that quote, based upon tone/context) is a very amusing poster. A highlight is the time that, in an effort to prove that the scary foreign media is propaganda and liberal US media isn't, he ended up deciding that a deliberate intent to deceive (something which he magically knows is true for the scary foreign media but not US media) is a necessary component for something to be propaganda.

Most liberals would just scoff and say it's common sense that the media they like isn't propaganda, but he instead feels the need to come up with some completely nonsensical and impossible to prove/disprove logical framework justifying his preexisting opinions.

Probably the sort of person who would be really into eugenics in the early 20th century.

lol wasn't he the guy who responded to people posting the Pelosi thanking George Floyd for being murdered thing by stating it surely wasn't a direct quote based on nothing but the jerk of his obedient knee or am I thinking of someone else

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Insanite posted:

can't wait for "saying anticapitalist things out loud" and "suggesting that we stop burning oil or else we'll all die" to be classified as expressions of extremist, violent ideologies lol

it's worth keeping an eye on but the rest of the document is really very focused on preventing violence over going after ideology. like the "animal rights" thing is pointed at groups like the ALF that try to murder biology professors

the risk comes from when some rear end in a top hat makes a bomb and also happens to be a member of a non-violent leftist org but that kind of crackdown is also nothing new

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/LindaLeePeacock/status/1405947214149586948

hive gonna hive

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1405898473225043971

peep the replies to die instantly

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1405882687026520065?s=20
https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1405887696220925956?s=20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also credit to Lee for putting a corncob in his twitter name tbh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

it's worth keeping an eye on but the rest of the document is really very focused on preventing violence over going after ideology. like the "animal rights" thing is pointed at groups like the ALF that try to murder biology professors

the risk comes from when some rear end in a top hat makes a bomb and also happens to be a member of a non-violent leftist org but that kind of crackdown is also nothing new

So serendipitous that that rear end in a top hat always seems to be a fed

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

I went to look at all of the presidential portraits a few years ago and Obamas had like a special shrine where succ could go take a selfie with it and there was a line. Not surprised it is going on tour.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...so it does nothing now? why would they ever take that bargain, just let it die instead, getting it passed nonbinding makes your supporters angry and makes your opponents angry, where's the win?

it’s people taking an offer to not let their hard be for absolutely nothing. it’s stupid but people don’t like failing completely

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

lol wasn't he the guy who responded to people posting the Pelosi thanking George Floyd for being murdered thing by stating it surely wasn't a direct quote based on nothing but the jerk of his obedient knee or am I thinking of someone else

There was that time audio recordings of biden yelling at black civil rights leaders dropped, and they just called that out of context twitter posts. They never responded to the question of what context it would be good for joe to yell at black people and call them ungrateful, of course.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Discendo Vox

Probably the sort of person who would be really into eugenics now

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

joepinetree posted:

What I like about the absolute gem of a sentence is that it treats "lay facing" as a negative when it comes to media literacy. It's bad that this book about media literacy isn't aimed at experts.

you'd think someone with no academic credentials except failing out of a phd program would be inclined to cool it on dissing works written for general audiences, but there's no accounting for ego

I don't doubt he has reasonable criticism of Manufacturing Consent, but what a remarkably obnoxious sentence

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/BlueTxBlue/status/1405911016983220232

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

There was that time audio recordings of biden yelling at black civil rights leaders dropped, and they just called that out of context twitter posts. They never responded to the question of what context it would be good for joe to yell at black people and call them ungrateful, of course.

You just have to prevent people from discussing something for a few days, after which you can say they're being weird and acting on forums grudges if they bring up news from more than a week ago.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Folks, Joe Biden hasn't even been president for a month, he can't fix all the problems immediately.

Folks, Joe Biden hasn't even been president for a full year, he can't fix all the problems immediately.

Folks, Joe Biden hasn't even been president for two years, he can't fix all the problems immediately.

Folks, Joe Biden hasn't even been president for a full term, he can't fix all problems immediately.

Folks, Joe Biden is no longer president.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How could he fix these specific problems that only started to exist when his administration started hiring people???

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

So which problems is he fixing, exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

So which problems is he fixing, exactly

how many got dang cheetos are in the white house, tankie purist?