Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Sup thread. I heard American insurance companies are making you pay for the tests now?

I can rolling order a pack of 7 NHS lateral flow tests (the ones you do at home like a pregnancy test) every few days and will send them out to goons in need for free. If fluffy bunny wants a pack I’ll send the first one to them.

DM me or post in here :)

You're very kind but I'm a military spouse, a minister, a therapy dog handler, and like 15 other goddamn things that get me the ability to get free ones and I have access to a small surplus and hand them out when I have a chance. Life's been kind of nuts lately. For like what, six or seven months? But if you need a drop shipper for some reason I'm happy to be that person.

PS thread: you know that outbreak at the Kabul US compound? Remember that my spouse ended up getting sent to Afghanistan? Guess where my spouse was stationed.

Just guess.

:lol:

He's 1 day beyond the cut-off date and he's going to get a test as soon as he's able to because he got his final moderna over there at the end of last month and he's had a rocking headache as of late, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia update: we've only got Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines here and because there'd been a couple dozen people under 50 who'd developed blood clots from AZ the government decided to only give AZ to anyone older than 50 and save all the Pfizer shots for youngsters, but recently we had a few more people aged 50+ develop clots so now they've changed the recommendation and will be giving Pfizer to people aged 50 - 60. We were already running out of Pfizer doses but now there's an additional 1 million people who'd been putting off their jabs for months because they didn't want AZ who are suddenly clamouring for The Good Juice

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1405784010547138561

At least they're keen to get vaccinated now. :shrug:

E: they haven't opened up the vaccines to people under 40 here in Victoria and I'm guessing this means that'll be pushed back even further now

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 18, 2021

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

He's 1 day beyond the cut-off date and he's going to get a test as soon as he's able to because he got his final moderna over there at the end of last month and he's had a rocking headache as of late, too.

I'm sorry FB, that's super lovely and stressful. I hope he pops negative.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why's it so hard to get vaccines to Australia?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

smoobles posted:

This article goes into some detail on that:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56825920

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

It's hard to get vaccines everywhere that isn't north america and europe because they decided they wanted to retain an advantage over the rest of the world coming out of this thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smoobles posted:

Short version is that the EU promised to send 40+ million doses but their own supply ran short and Australia eliminated covid so they told Australia to go kick rocks

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's almost as if countries value their own people more than other countries people, and only some places can make the vaccines.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It seems like you probably shouldnt be ordering stockpiles of tests (even if they are poo poo) in order to send them on to whoever you want later?

the govn website says:

govn web site posted:

Ordering for someone else
Anyone in your household can use the tests. You do not need to order one pack for each person.

If you’re ordering for another household, for example a relative in your bubble, you should:

do it separately from your household order
use their details, including their email address if they have one

Oh, and regarding them being poo poo, our (UK) version of the FDA looked at what the FDA said and just yesterday went 'nah, theyre fine' and continue to authorise them for use. I dunno if they gave any particularly good reasons or just didn't fancy being wrong right now.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 18, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

satanic splash-back posted:

It's almost as if countries value their own people more than other countries people, and only some places can make the vaccines.

I was going to post this but wanted to give the benefit of doubt to the OP, Like, lmao, if you think any country in the world would've done differently if they had the means. You'd get eaten by an angry mob like that Dutch minister centuries ago if you said "Ayo this is a global issue and we will be donating vaccinations to the global effort before finishing with here" to your own citizens.

What happens after the majority of the first world is vaxxed, waxed and ready to go is of course yet to be seen. I fully expect vaccinations being political blackmail / goodwill objects.

Turkey was EXTREMELY doing bad on vaccinations and only saved (we'll see) by the fact that Biontech CEO(s) are Turkish (German born) and insisting on having an ironclad clause for Turkish supply guarantee.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Meanwhile in the US, we're about to have millions of doses expire because they've got an image problem.

High Hopes for Johnson & Johnson’s Covid Vaccine Have Fizzled in the U.S.

quote:

WASHINGTON — When Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose coronavirus vaccine was authorized for emergency use in late February, ​it was seen as a breakthrough for reaching vulnerable and isolated Americans, a crucial alternative to vaccines that require two shots weeks apart and fussier storage. It was soon popular on college campuses, in door-to-door campaigns and with harder-to-reach communities that often struggle with access to health care.

But with only 11.8 million doses administered in the United States so far — less than 4 percent of the total — the “one and done” vaccine has fallen flat. States have warned for weeks that they may not find recipients for millions of doses that will soon expire, partly because the vaccine’s appeal dropped after it was linked to a rare but serious blood-clotting disorder and injections were paused for 10 days in April.

The vaccine took another hit last week, when regulators told Johnson & Johnson that it should throw out tens of millions of additional doses produced at a plant in Baltimore because they might be contaminated. The diminished supply and enthusiasm for the shot mean that its role in the United States is fading fast, even though millions of Americans have yet to be vaccinated.

[...]

Health officials in a number of other states presented a similarly discouraging picture. The pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, they said, effectively kicked it aside for good; only about 3.5 million doses have been used since the pause was lifted on April 23. Kim Deti, a spokeswoman for the Wyoming Health Department, said the graph of uptake in her state told the vaccine’s story: a significant climb in the early weeks of its rollout, followed by a plateau that began around the pause.

State officials had initially hoped the Johnson & Johnson shot would be a workhorse: a versatile, easy-to-store tool they could stockpile at mass vaccination sites, quickly reaching thousands of people they would not need to track down for a second dose. But after demand dropped, their goals grew more modest.

It is being used in a smaller-bore fashion this week at the Fiesta festival in San Antonio, the College World Series in Omaha, a Juneteenth celebration in Johnstown, Pa., and an aquarium in Long Beach, Calif. At a food bank in Reno, Nev., 12 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine were administered on Thursday, said Jocelyn Lantrip, the director of marketing and communications for the Food Bank of Northern Nevada.

The vaccination effort is still going really well in the US, overall. Certainly better than we could have even dreamed one year ago. But the whole Johnson & Johnson situation has been such a debacle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Naw I don't even blame the EU, their need was obviously WAY more urgent than Australia's

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s really unfortunate they decided to partner with a manufacturer they found on Craigslist

Just had a lol remembering the story where states let contracts to a guy selling unformed soda bottles as PCR test tubes

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 18, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
With how guns weapons explosives drugs etc manage to make it to the most unlikely places on the globe you would think refrigerated vaccine wouldn't be such a problem t-

Follow the money; its just not profitable for number to get countries vaccines, or else it would be happening.

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 18, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fallom posted:

It’s really unfortunate they decided to partner with a manufacturer they found on Craigslist

Just had a lol remembering the story where states let contracts to a guy selling unformed soda bottles as PCR test tubes

I think UK takes the lead by a huge margin when it comes to Covid corruption. The Track and Trace App and PPE contracts are just INSANE amounts of money wasted.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It seems like you probably shouldnt be ordering stockpiles of tests (even if they are poo poo) in order to send them on to whoever you want later?

the govn website says:

Oh, and regarding them being poo poo, our (UK) version of the FDA looked at what the FDA said and just yesterday went 'nah, theyre fine' and continue to authorise them for use. I dunno if they gave any particularly good reasons or just didn't fancy being wrong right now.

I’ve ordered one set of 7 tests and if I get more DMs then I’ll order more or go in and pick up a stack. I read one insurance place was now charging $90 per test and that’s just taking the piss - if anyone in the U.K. can send them across for free, which in a global pandemic benefits all of us, then we probably should do.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Just remembered the doctor in London sold like test kits at £375 and raked in like 2.5 mil pounds in two weeks from his "clinic" which was his flat.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It seems like you probably shouldnt be ordering stockpiles of tests (even if they are poo poo) in order to send them on to whoever you want latelate

They're also not designed to be split - each of the components (swabs, containers, fluids, test strips etc) are grouped together and there's only a single set of instructions.

My favourite thing about them though is the test strips gives zero indication of when the test was taken - I have one that's been sat on my desk for like a month and the line has barely faded. Yet venues are starting to use these as proof of a recent negative test. 🤯

(The QR code my thumb is covering is just the batch/serial number again)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

paraphrasing: if you can give out free tests, do it

Yeah, basically this. That's what I've been doing on and off for months. Charging for covid tests is fuckin' wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blunt posted:

My favourite thing about them though is the test strips gives zero indication of when the test was taken - I have one that's been sat on my desk for like a month and the line has barely faded. Yet venues are starting to use these as proof of a recent negative test. 🤯

loling that disposable DVDs from a decade and a half ago had better security

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress did they expect was going to happen

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1405550804728270853

Statement from the CEO: https://www.facebook.com/100057105533884/posts/264408202139362/

The vaccines aren't guaranteed to be 100% effective, dumbass :ssh:

Good learning opportunity here!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
are the places that are charging for tests, doing so for lateral flow tests? I don't think so? You're going to post them to America? Er OK. seems a bit odd

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has there been any more information about natural immunity after having COVID? I know someone posted an article about a month or so back about people still having immunity a year later but is there new information about it?

The article seemed to state that immunity lasted much longer than previously thought.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Galewolf posted:

I think UK takes the lead by a huge margin when it comes to Covid corruption. The Track and Trace App and PPE contracts are just INSANE amounts of money wasted.

The UKs corruption thing is absolutely infuriating to read about, even as a near neighbour. I'm in Ireland and the INSANE amount of money Boris Johnson's govt piled into the totally non functional track and trace app is unbelievable.
God knows, Ireland has had and still has significant corruption issues, but the blatant handing out of incredibly important government functions to Tory buddies in the UK when the crisis is still so severe is incredibly enraging.

Back in the 20s, we burned the bastards out.

Just fuel for thought.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Short version is that the EU promised to send 40+ million doses but their own supply ran short and Australia eliminated covid so they told Australia to go kick rocks

When everything is over and we are able to do some analysis, I think Australia and Canada would be an interesting comparison. Fairly similar situations to start with of having the money to spend, similar population size and distribution (most of the population along the coast/boarder, huge sparsely populated and tough to get to regions) and no internal supply.

How did Canada get so far ahead of Australia? We didn’t start getting vaccines from the US until April/May so geography only helps a little. Was there actual policies that countries got right/wrong or was it just dumb luck in betting on the right vaccines and getting an early place in line for ones that actually shipped?

How did Australia try to buy their shots? The government here bought tens of millions of doses from virtually every manufacturer back when we didn’t even know which ones would work and we have like 400 million doses ordered for 35 million people. It seems like the plan was just order way more than what we’ll need, see what shows up first and figure out what to do with the rest later.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Galewolf posted:

You'd get eaten by an angry mob like that Dutch minister centuries ago if you said "Ayo this is a global issue and we will be donating vaccinations to the global effort before finishing with here" to your own citizens.

Hell, any vaccines leaving the borders of the US was being used as a political attack on Biden like a month ago.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Has there been any more information about natural immunity after having COVID? I know someone posted an article about a month or so back about people still having immunity a year later but is there new information about it?

The article seemed to state that immunity lasted much longer than previously thought.

it is crazy dependent on the individual to the point that I haven't seen a really good conclusive study among any population.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pseudodragon posted:

How did Australia try to buy their shots?

To start with, Australia pretty much dragged their feet in approving the use of any of the vaccines and took a "wait and see" approach to see how things worked out for other nations who rushed ahead of us. We granted provisional approval for Pfizer in January 25 and then we rang up Pfizer/BioNTech and went "Yo, stick some doses on a plane and send them over, we'll take 10 million" and they went "Sure thing, we'll send the first shipment of 80,000 right away!" and our Prime Minister bragged about how Australia was "at the front of the queue" for vaccine shipments but then we sat around playing with our dicks for weeks and weeks watching dozens and dozens of other countries start their vacc rollouts before us. After several delays Pfizer sent a shipment which arrived on February 14 but we didn't start shoving them into arms until Feb 21, almost a full month after they'd been approved for use.

Australia also granted provisional approval for AstraZeneca on Feb 16 and we received our first shipment of 300,000 doses on Feb 28. A further shipment of 250k doses was blocked by the EU on March 5.

Australia has also made agreements for Moderna and Novavax but we haven't granted provisional approval for either of them yet and we're not going to bother putting in any actual orders and getting any shipped here until we do. I guess we could've put in some early orders and put them on ice so we had them on hand and we could start immediately handing them out when they got approval but :shrug::shrug::shrug:

We have a single factory in Australia that is capable of producing either AZ or Novavax (but not both at the same time, they have to retool all the machinery to switch between them) which was actually one of the main factors behind us choosing to vaccinate the majority of the population with AZ, and they got final approval to manufacture AZ on March 21. Of course the whole blood clot thing with AZ kicked off and we decided we weren't going to give AZ to anyone under 50 (now increased to 60) and older people weren't real keen on it either after that so it's been a bit of a white elephant, but we couldn't switch over to Novavax because it isn't even approved yet so they were stuck making AZ.

The government's original plan was to vaccinate 4 million people by March and the entire eligible population of 20 million by October but it soon became super obvious that this just wasn't possible, so after a lot of dicking around and repeating the phrase "This is not a race" the new goal is for every eligible Australian to at least receive one dose by the end of the year. In the six months since we first granted provisional approval for a covid vax we've only managed to get 6.4 million shots into arms (some of them second doses, we're not exactly sure how many because apparently no one thought to keep count of that so some states still aren't reporting that data) so it's also looking super unlikely we'll even be able to reach that lowered goal.

Some links with further details:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...new-cases-today
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Australia

E: the real kick in the guts is that we received 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine back in April after an idiot Trump-loving billionaire took it upon himself to buy them and donate them all the the national stockpile, which of course has been completely useless. The same idiot billionaire has recently been runing a mass media scare campaign against the vaccines claiming they've lead to hundreds of deaths in Australia. It turns out that these ads were protected political speech so there was nothing that anyone could do to stop them, but the radio stations finally pulled the ads after a public backlash.

E: the other other kick in the guts is that people in Australia are pretty complacent about this whole covid dealy since we keep eradicating it whenever we have a breakout so they've really been dragging their feet when it comes to vaccination. I'm not sure that our vax numbers would be all that much better even if we did have a bigger supply.
Some states have opened up the age brackets but here in Victoria no one under 40 can even book an appointment unless they're in certain essential job sectors, I know some people under 40 who are real keen to get vaxxed but they just have to sit and wait

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 18, 2021

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

They're making progress on a malaria mRNA vaccine now https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-06-mrna-vaccine-yields-full-malaria.html

Kind of ironically pushing HCQ toward retirement, too.

So what happens when these mRNA vaccines are improperly stored? Reduced effectiveness? Zero effectiveness? Patient's arm falls off?

I'm just curious whether sloppy storage could result in a drop in effectiveness that is falsely attributed to the vaccine itself, or if it's really obvious that it's a spoiled vaccine and ineffective.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh good! I hope they can deal with the other mosquito borne illness as well. We got like 4 different ones over here and every year they kill lots of people. They have tried everything from massive fumigations to those genetical altered mosquitos.

It would be a medical miracle.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Gildiss posted:

It's hard to get vaccines everywhere that isn't north america and europe because they decided they wanted to retain an advantage over the rest of the world coming out of this thing.

The rest of the world doesn't really matter to your average American or European.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

John_A_Tallon posted:

The rest of the world doesn't really matter to your average American or European.

Australia is also incredibly insular and parochial. New Guinea had a lovely outbreak and were pretty much hosed as far as vaccines are concerned and Australia sent them a measly 10,000 doses (and sent a letter to the EU asking them to send them a million doses) even though their situation was much much more dire than our own. New Zealand sent them 146,000 doses.

Indonesia is practically on our doorstep and things are looking pretty bad over there right now but I haven't heard a peep out of anyone here about it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My county is at .9/100,000 :toot:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My office re-opens Monday. They just sent out the "If you're vaccinated, you don't haaaaaaave to wear a mask - but we're on the HoNoR sYsTeM for enforcing it. *wink wink*" email.

We have to spend next week walking throughout the building helping people plug their computers into docking stations and otherwise getting into close contact with them.

Can't wait for 40 hours of explaining "Yes, I'm vaccinated. Yes, I KNOW I don't have to wear a mask. No, I DON'T know if you're vaccinated or what the gently caress is up with that cough of yours. No, I can't fix your desk, that's Facilities, not IT."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

but we're on the HoNoR sYsTeM for enforcing it. *wink wink*" email.

Tbh there isn’t much else they can do. They can’t require you to disclose your vaccination status.

Companies hands are pretty tied in this situation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a loving joke that companies are handling this less seriously than the classic hostile work environment, and that’s saying something because there’s not a sterling history there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Tbh there isn’t much else they can do. They can’t require you to disclose your vaccination status.

So then it's either universal masking or, hear me out hear, not reopening, or restricting it to specific teams. Instead they're brining in carnival bullshit and saying it's voluntary but encouraged to come in. ( not us though. It's mandatory)

The entire company has been 97% remote since last March and we've outperformed whatever BS financial metrics are hip with do-nothing executives.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

EEOC said they can, they just can't ask it wasn't gotten for FEHA protected reasons.

And companies can require it again exempting actual FEHA protected reasons

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So I put myself on a backup reserve list for vaccination and was lucky enough to get a surprise vaccination with Johnson&Johnson this week!

While I'm happy to have had any vaccine at all, there is very little data available for J&J. Can anybody point me towards some data? It's efficacy, as compared to other vaccines, and especially with the variants?

I am kinda worried I drew the short end of the stick here, especially now the Delta variant is becoming dominant and that escapes some vaccines a bit (such as Chile and Sinopharm).

Any data is welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Don’t worry if a variant is able to get around the Sinovac vaccine. The difference between the sinovac vaccine and J and J is gigantic.