Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Randalor posted:

Just a shame that's for Wimnipeg, because you know if it was for Manitoba, then the Cons would probably be heads and shoulders above the rest.

Winnipeg contains the majority of seats in the province and those numbers are a shutout for the PCs in Winnipeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
drat I just caught the 2nd part of this on the radio, yeah I know it's CBC but I'm kinda impressed they were airing something this unequivocally true & brutal during the commute home

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-unborn-future-how-western-philosophy-helped-propel-us-toward-a-climate-catastrophe-1.6069290

Gonna spam it to some Jordy Peeperson fans I know, like this is how a real rebellious straight backed professor diagnoses society's ills and whose to blame; with simplicity and brevity and accuracy - not weeping about a Disney princess being part gay or whatever the gently caress lol

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Randalor posted:

Just a shame that's for Wimnipeg, because you know if it was for Manitoba, then the Cons would probably be heads and shoulders above the rest.

Provincewide, the NDP is at 47% and the Cons at 29% . Buckle up for two more years of Pallister not giving a gently caress and burning the province down.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 18, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ColdBlooded posted:

Provincewide, the NDP is at 47% and the Cons at 29% . Buckle up for two more years of Pallister not giving a gently caress and burning the province down.

Guenter and Freisen will still coast to 65%+ wins but i guess it wont matter by then either way.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Blood Boils posted:

drat I just caught the 2nd part of this on the radio, yeah I know it's CBC but I'm kinda impressed they were airing something this unequivocally true & brutal during the commute home

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-unborn-future-how-western-philosophy-helped-propel-us-toward-a-climate-catastrophe-1.6069290

Gonna spam it to some Jordy Peeperson fans I know, like this is how a real rebellious straight backed professor diagnoses society's ills and whose to blame; with simplicity and brevity and accuracy - not weeping about a Disney princess being part gay or whatever the gently caress lol

quote:

He points to the discovery of the hole in the ozone layer in the 1980s as an example where the market was the problem, due to the use of chlorofluorocarbons or CFC's in a range of different industrial processes and commodities. Thanks to regulation, corporations that were producing and using CFC were forced to switch to chemicals that didn't damage the ozone layer.

"We're now on track to almost complete healing of the ozone layer by about mid century," said Phillips.

Tell me that our success story was seen by industry as an expensive dog-wagging incident never to be repeated, and I'd believe you.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The massive ongoing renovation of Parliament Hill, centred on revitalizing and reworking Centre Block as the crown jewel of Canadian democracy, is expected to take until at least 2030 and cost up to $5 billion to complete. On Thursday federal officials leading the renovation project released the final design, scope, and anticipated timelines for completing the project.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/centre-block-renovation-to-take-until-at-least-2030-to-complete-cost-up-to-5b-1.5474574

Lol Jesus it's going to look like a World War 1 trench fortification for the rest of the decade.

Yeah I get it though, I read some previous stuff about this when I first moved to Ottawa. It's crazy, the center block is still full of single pane windows. For Ottawa climate that's outrageous, I can't even imagine what the climate control bills are.

It seems to be a theme that politicians are too scared to put public money towards maintaining government buildings until they're on the verge of collapse and total obsolescence. I do partially understand, the public is stupid and you'd probably get the Canadian Taxpayers Federation all up in arms about "politicians spending money on themselves", but imagine the savings if they had gradually done upgrades over the last century instead of waiting for total collapse and now having to spend 5 billion dollars.

Now we've got the commons and senate displaced for more than a decade, not to mention the same thing occurring with the prime minister's residence.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Yeah Wow that's really interesting if only the next election weren't two years away and voters only give a poo poo about what happened within the last month or maybe if you're extra lucky the past two months. Also surely everybody won't be trying to forget about 2020 and 2021 as hard as possible anyway and Pallister, the only PC that I'd wager 90% of those polled could actually mention by name, definitely won't be around in that election anyway.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope to god you're wrong and I can tell you to gently caress off for doomposting.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I hope to god you're wrong and I can tell you to gently caress off for doomposting.

Agreed, I find that very doomposting, not to mention that charming condescension toward other Manitobans that a lot of Manitobans seem to harbour. I know a lot of people fuckin' pissed at the PCs as a whole, not just Pallister, and it goes far beyond his pandemic response. The PCs are getting a TON of flak for creating multiple labour disputes including a likely nursing strike, trying to open up private family owned farmland up to bidding from agricorps, their attempts to politicize school administration are seeing NO support that they've been able to name when asked directly.

Like, this is Filmon government level hate for the PCs, which kept them out of power for nearly two decades last time they were this widely despised. I don't see it just going away, especially since the PCs are likely to keep on their bullshit right up until the next election. They know they're burning their support, they don't care as long as they can get the legislation they want passed before 2023.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Doubling down on loving with healthcare workers during a global pandemic is one of those incomprehensible gaffes that can't have made any real sense to anyone.

Even if you're absolutely ideologically committed to loving up public healthcare, you don't do it while it's front and centre in everyone's mind.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Change places!!!!
https://twitter.com/robferguson1/status/1405941697348046850

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Doubling down on loving with healthcare workers during a global pandemic is one of those incomprehensible gaffes that can't have made any real sense to anyone.

Even if you're absolutely ideologically committed to loving up public healthcare, you don't do it while it's front and centre in everyone's mind.

"Nurses and doctors are heroes for being on the front lines during a pandemic. Also, I hate nurses and am currently twisting the knives that I stabbed into them 4 years ago as hard as I can." -What someone thought was a good message.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Somehow Lecce survived.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey, could get worse, if the strike goes on too long I'm sure a Bible Belt MLA will try bringing up the red scare story of the Giant Mine Strike.

"They're gonna murder yer scabs!"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Yeah Wow that's really interesting if only the next election weren't two years away and voters only give a poo poo about what happened within the last month or maybe if you're extra lucky the past two months. Also surely everybody won't be trying to forget about 2020 and 2021 as hard as possible anyway and Pallister, the only PC that I'd wager 90% of those polled could actually mention by name, definitely won't be around in that election anyway.

Only 14% of women in Winnipeg and 21% of women province-wide said they would vote PC, you understand how abysmal that is right? The only way they could fix their numbers at this point is if Pallister retired, they found a woman that actually would lead the party, torpedoed Goertzen, Friesen and Cullen, killed bill 64, admitted they hosed up the pandemic and health care and then fixed it.

loving with healthcare, education and childcare back-to-back-to-back is a literal knife to the throat.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What if we made all the worst decisions at once, in the middle of an unprecedented global crisis?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Is this a new phenomenon for people? The NDP was in charge of Manitoba until 2016. The consistent patterns across all of Canada is that the one sort of left-of-centre party rules for a time until they wear out their welcome, then the cons take over until they poison the well, rinse and repeat. The PCs weren't going to be in charge forever, but it ultimately doesn't matter because the same stupid system that keeps eventually returning them to power persists.

E: I'm not even trying to be hopeful versus doomposting, but this is just like with Ontario when people seem to think that the PCs are like Republicans with some diehard base and gerrymandered safe zones. That is absolutely not the case. Instead ask yourselves why our other parties are so terrible that they always eventually find some way to piss the electorate off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So Rod was out of a job for all of six months. Either Ford is doing his buddy a favor or Rod has dirt on Doug and blackmailed his way back in. Either one is likely and I think Ford is assuming he's got the election sealed away with his ratfucking earlier this week so he's punting Fullerton to absolve himself of the LTC disaster and putting Rob back in place as a forgive and forget.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Gary Filmon got 11 years as Premier and 9 years of majority governments before Manitoba voted him out. The current iteration of the PC party is looking at 7 years total and that's really because the pandemic really exposed how badly they hosed up healthcare in this province.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

Is this a new phenomenon for people? The NDP was in charge of Manitoba until 2016. The consistent patterns across all of Canada is that the one sort of left-of-centre party rules for a time until they wear out their welcome, then the cons take over until they poison the well, rinse and repeat. The PCs weren't going to be in charge forever, but it ultimately doesn't matter because the same stupid system that keeps eventually returning them to power persists.

E: I'm not even trying to be hopeful versus doomposting, but this is just like with Ontario when people seem to think that the PCs are like Republicans with some diehard base and gerrymandered safe zones. That is absolutely not the case. Instead ask yourselves why our other parties are so terrible that they always eventually find some way to piss the electorate off.

It took the LPC 15 years an a whole lot of loving up to burn through the ill-will towards the PCPO that Harris left

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://twitter.com/bad_epi/status/1405698067765018627

Great thread tying together white supremacists, Derek Sloan, Chris Sky, Antivax doctors and half a dozen other bad actors.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1405960554594848772?s=20

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

I would love to be wrong but as a counterargument we live in Manitoba.

DariusLikewise posted:

Only 14% of women in Winnipeg and 21% of women province-wide said they would vote PC, you understand how abysmal that is right? The only way they could fix their numbers at this point is if Pallister retired, they found a woman that actually would lead the party, torpedoed Goertzen, Friesen and Cullen, killed bill 64, admitted they hosed up the pandemic and health care and then fixed it.

Sure.

So they put Heather Stefanson in charge, Goertzen remains the hatchet guy, Friesen remains the money guy, Cullen just fades into whatever he was never important, Bill 64 is only partially implemented (still a win in the PC eyes), and hopefully enough Manitobans don't give enough of a gently caress about what happened during the pandemic or if they do, they blame it on the tall man who was "banished" to another country.

If I were a PC strategist, that's the path I'd see for the party and it's all in place. Get angry about "doomposting" but Manitoba political history is technically "doomposting" then because it's been a huge back and forth on infinite repeat machine for a long time now. Otherwise, show me the roadmap to NDP victory right now that is actual strategy beyond "the conservatives have really hosed up" because yes it's probably there but it doesn't look as clear. I'd LOVE to see it happen too, don't get me wrong.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 18, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Beelzebufo posted:

I just assume canadian swing voters are like dogs and sort of do things arbitrarily

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney currently shooting himself in the foot with a TRC question.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Sure.

So they put Heather Stefanson in charge, Goertzen remains the hatchet guy, Friesen remains the money guy, Cullen just fades into whatever he was never important, Bill 64 is only partially implemented (still a win in the PC eyes), and hopefully enough Manitobans don't give enough of a gently caress about what happened during the pandemic or if they do, they blame it on the tall man who was "banished" to another country.

If I were a PC strategist, that's the path I'd see for the party and it's all in place. Get angry about "doomposting" but Manitoba political history is technically "doomposting" then because it's been a huge back and forth on infinite repeat machine for a long time now. Otherwise, show me the roadmap to NDP victory right now that is actual strategy beyond "the conservatives have really hosed up" because yes it's probably there but it doesn't look as clear. I'd LOVE to see it happen too, don't get me wrong.

I'm willing to wait until closer to the actual election to see what the NDP have to offer. It's not a condemnation against them not to have a publicly shared platform or plan already out there for how they're going to fix the damages on a house that's still burning down.

You're not wrong exactly, just that the current NDP party is pretty far removed from the NDP party of Greg Selinger that poo poo the bed in the lead up to 2016, so I'm at least going to hold onto some small optimism that people like Uzoma, Nahanni and Wab can present some kind of sound strategy that actually makes people want to vote for them. Like, it strikes me as doomposting because yes, 2 years gives the PC strategists time to try and turn this dismal approval around, but they will instead likely continuing loving up everything they can in the name of "the economy", meanwhile the NDP have 2 years to strategize a platform for 2023 that may demonstrate how they plan to start fixing this poo poo.

Considering the governments of Alberta, Ontario and Sask right now, "We Live in Manitoba" isn't an argument for or against anything, because clearly the electorates in other provinces can make lovely choices just as well as we do.

Willatron fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 18, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Alberta declares Covid DEAD on July 1st - all restrictions gone

RIP

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

InfiniteZero posted:

Sure.

I do wonder if Stefanson "stepping away" due to a supposed health issue is a way of distancing herself from the current government. Having said that, Manitoba isn't Alberta - we actually have a history of electing NDP governments that Alberta (1 term of Notley excluded) doesn't. So while parts of rural Manitoba will continue to vote Conservative in large numbers, Winnipeg and the non-chuddy ridings outside Winnipeg will happily vote these shitheads out. Obviously things can change, but I really don't see how the Cons can bounce back unless they get a leader not currently associated with this government - and even then, I find it unlikely.

To add to this, the Conservative vote is extremely inefficient here, so even if the NDP are only up 2-3 points in the polls, it will still likely give them a comfortable majority.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 18, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

RIP

So how long before we're all suffering from the Alberta Variant

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how long before we're all suffering from the Alberta Variant

Kenney cough

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Vintersorg posted:

RIP

Wow, trying to beat New Brunswick to the punch, who’s decided it will do the same the very second it hits 75% with two doses (which is expected to be in early July): Full removal of the emergency act and a removal of all restrictions/alert levels and mask/distancing requirements.

That’s going to be a fun genie to try and put back in the bottle if everything goes to hell with variants.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vintersorg posted:

how much worse do things need to get before people stop saying "doomposting"

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Rod was out of a job for all of six months. Either Ford is doing his buddy a favor or Rod has dirt on Doug and blackmailed his way back in. Either one is likely and I think Ford is assuming he's got the election sealed away with his ratfucking earlier this week so he's punting Fullerton to absolve himself of the LTC disaster and putting Rob back in place as a forgive and forget.

The Rod Philips thing is based on the correct assumption that people like him (white, male) only need to be put into time out for a while and the public will forgive and forget. Pretty sure he could have just powered through the controversy without resigning, but they reacted too quickly instead of waiting a few more days when other politicians admitted they were out of the country.

crispyseaweed fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 18, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bleck posted:

Doomposting is people cynically projecting terrible outcomes in the absence of or in spite of the evidence otherwise, because they have some need to spread their personal depression and frustration with the world to everyone they interact with.

It's tedious and usually wrong and happens frequently enough that we've now come up with a phrase for it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bleck posted:

Probably somewhere around here:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's enough terrible poo poo demonstrably happening that you don't have to go fantasizing about more of it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
lmao at the idea that "manitobans will elect conservatives" is some kind of way off unlikely scenario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They certainly might, but the poll suggests that right now the ones in Winnipeg at least won't, and the poster explained why it's not unprecedented for the NDP to actually form a government in Manitoba.

That and Brian Pallister running around with a can of gasoline and a pack of matches while everyone is looking at him.

e:

lol

Double lol @ the erasure of PEI, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 19, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's not like there's some sort of tedious repeating pattern to manitoba elections since the formation of the NDP and collapse of the liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Yo if you’re in BC and booked a 2nd vaccine appointment that was quite far out, click the “cancel my appointment” link you got sent after confirming that appointment to rebook one sooner. Many spots opened up, and I got mine two weeks earlier.