Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
So our cat keeps jumping up onto our fireplace, and all of a sudden we started noticing that the fireplace mantle (?) seemed to be sliding forward. What it looks like to us is that this is just a decorative cover piece and it was maybe just glued on? For now we just keep sliding it back in place but that isn't a real solution.

Since our cat is an rear end and will keep jumping up there and will keep making it start to slide off, what is the correct way to anchor this thing on? Am I supposed to just woodglue it on? If so, are there specific parts you should and should not glue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is the mantle wood? I'd throw some screws or nails through the top or bottom to hold it to the support stud.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hawkeye posted:

So our cat keeps jumping up onto our fireplace, and all of a sudden we started noticing that the fireplace mantle (?) seemed to be sliding forward. What it looks like to us is that this is just a decorative cover piece and it was maybe just glued on? For now we just keep sliding it back in place but that isn't a real solution.

Since our cat is an rear end and will keep jumping up there and will keep making it start to slide off, what is the correct way to anchor this thing on? Am I supposed to just woodglue it on? If so, are there specific parts you should and should not glue?

Omg.

I put a mantle up and it had a French cleat and that was backed up by finish nails.

Since force on this is in shear, get a handful of finish nails, maybe 4d or 5d sized, and nail it down through the top piece into that solid 2x blocking every 6-10 inches or so. So you have like 5-6 nails securing it in place. Set them with a nail setter and fill in the hole with some white putty.

Good as new.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yo please provide the cat tax for this advice.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

cool. Cool.

Been in our house two months.

ConEd (local gas/electric utility) just came out to inspect the gas meter. Apparently the head of service valve is not accessible, and it likely buried somewhere in the wall of the finished basement.

How the gently caress do I find this?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Helpful advice

Inner Light posted:

Yo please provide the cat tax for this advice.

Thank you all for the info! I'll have to buy some finishing nails and things.

Cat tax attached:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hawkeye posted:

Cat tax attached:

Oh I love him.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
That is a very good cat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

cool. Cool.

Been in our house two months.

ConEd (local gas/electric utility) just came out to inspect the gas meter. Apparently the head of service valve is not accessible, and it likely buried somewhere in the wall of the finished basement.

How the gently caress do I find this?

Do you not have a hammer?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

QuarkJets posted:

If I did I would hammer in the morning.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I do.

But the meter is in a cabinet.

And the pipe runs into the wall and straight down.

The wall has a wood panel on top of the drywall.

Not happy punching random holes through all that poo poo in hopes I strike gold.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Not happy punching random holes through all that poo poo in hopes I strike gold.

*Rips up your mortgage agreement*

I'm sorry sir but you're, you're just not homeowner material

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Hawkeye posted:

Cat tax attached:

Look at that bum, not contributing to the home repair fund.

Get a job!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I do.

But the meter is in a cabinet.

And the pipe runs into the wall and straight down.

The wall has a wood panel on top of the drywall.

Remove wood panel, remove drywall nicely. Enjoy your homeownership!
House Ownership Thread: Buying $400 in tools to destroy this drywall artfully.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I used to have this sense of opening up a wall being this huge endeavor. It really isn't so long as you don't go ham on it and hit electrical or break something. There's sort of a "welp, here it goes" moment the first time or two you do something but patching drywall is easier than I would have thought. I had some lightswitch covers off for painting and as I was sanding the wall I noticed a small wire in the drywall as I sanded. Only way to make sure it wasn't anything to be worried about was to remove the drywall. It ended up being an inactive wire for the old security system that got mudded into the wall ...

Regardless, patching a 1x1ft section on the wall in my first week and you can't even see where the patch was. I have to admit, I sort of enjoy mudding a wall.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Verman posted:

I used to have this sense of opening up a wall being this huge endeavor. It really isn't so long as you don't go ham on it and hit electrical or break something. There's sort of a "welp, here it goes" moment the first time or two you do something but patching drywall is easier than I would have thought. I had some lightswitch covers off for painting and as I was sanding the wall I noticed a small wire in the drywall as I sanded. Only way to make sure it wasn't anything to be worried about was to remove the drywall. It ended up being an inactive wire for the old security system that got mudded into the wall ...

Regardless, patching a 1x1ft section on the wall in my first week and you can't even see where the patch was. I have to admit, I sort of enjoy mudding a wall.

We made our garage into a room. Well, we made the rest of the garage into a room. It was already half converted. Anyway, I found great pleasure in taping and floating drywall. Put on some music and just go. It looks fine but obviously not a pro job. Which is why there's massive shelves full on miniatures covering it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is there a non mechanical way to remove tile adhesive on concrete? I'd like to not sand or use one of those tools they looks like a vibrating shovel to scrape it just so I don't have to deal with dust.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is probably some solvent, not sure what it will do to the wall that is why they say test a small area.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Is there a non mechanical way to remove tile adhesive on concrete? I'd like to not sand or use one of those tools they looks like a vibrating shovel to scrape it just so I don't have to deal with dust.

Krud Kutter or Bean E Doo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FMZ1CK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/500MR-Mastic-Remover-Concrete-Gallon/dp/B00U2RCK2C/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Blue+Bear&qid=1624044952&sr=8-6

Krud Kutter did not work for me because it was a different type of mastic so I used the Bean-E-Doo. Which...looks like someone bought them out because that is not the packaging I had.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks I'll check it out and see if it's something I can or want to do myself.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone know if this is a gas shutoff valve or water shutoff valve?

I’m assuming water based on the thickness of the pipes.

As a reminder, I’m looking for my head of service valve for my gas line. This is my meter. The inspector said the valve should be off that middle pipe going straight into the wall, and that the valve right above the meter isn’t it.

I also found this, but this very much looks like water.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 19, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Anyone know if this is a gas shutoff valve or water shutoff valve?

I’m assuming water based on the thickness of the pipes.

This looks like a gas valve to me. The pipe appears to be black pipe which is typically used for gas.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It looks like ~1" black galvanized pipe which as said above me, is usually gas.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

topenga posted:

We made our garage into a room. Well, we made the rest of the garage into a room. It was already half converted. Anyway, I found great pleasure in taping and floating drywall. Put on some music and just go. It looks fine but obviously not a pro job. Which is why there's massive shelves full on miniatures covering it.

This sounds lovely unless you have textured drywall like I do. Anything bigger than a 6x6 inch square is getting a professional out with the air sprayer and hopper full of drywall mud. You can try to DIY it but it will never, ever look as good as having pro match the knockdown texture.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Black steel pipe is normally natural gas. I can't see in the picture but definitely if you see yellow tape on the threads.
Edit: like everyone else already said

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PageMaster posted:

Black steel pipe is normally natural gas. I can't see in the picture but definitely if you see yellow tape on the threads.
Edit: like everyone else already said

Yellow tape is a good indicator but it's not an absolute. There are dopes/tapes that are other colors that are just fine. I have some blue dope that I use.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

This sounds lovely unless you have textured drywall like I do. Anything bigger than a 6x6 inch square is getting a professional out with the air sprayer and hopper full of drywall mud. You can try to DIY it but it will never, ever look as good as having pro match the knockdown texture.

It depends on the texture, there's a few different ways to replicate it. Orange peel is much easier to match than knockdown but all will take some trial and error. We just talked about this a few days ago. There's a lot of ways to do it so try a few and see how it turns out.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I have a mobile air conditioning unit (like this one: ) that I want to set up in my garage. I have some exhaust/intake grates to connect the hoses to; my plan is to cut two holes in my garage door, mount the grates, then connect hoses when I need AC, and cover with plastic when not in use. (Looking at the pic I posted, that unit only has one hose, but my unit has two. Do I need to have both hoses going outside? Can I just vent the exhaust line out?)
My problem is this: how do I cut a small ~5" circular hole in my garage door without destroying my door? Would a jigsaw work on the metal? I could mount the grates to a piece of wood, and then mount that to a rectangular hole, but I'd prefer the simplicity of holes directly in the door (if this isn't an awful idea to begin with- someone please tell me if I'm severely compromising my door!). I want it to look good, but I can't exactly practice either. There are no windows in my garage, just my big car door and walls, so this seems like the easiest, cheapest way to me. Any advice is welcome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, you want both hoses going outside or you'll be dragging outside air into your garage, making it very difficult to cool.

Going through the garage door seems like the worst possible choice. What are the walls made of? If it's standard construction you probably want to look into installing proper vents for this on the house.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I have a mix of shoddy and/or aged tile grouting (some pinholes, some larger holes, and hairline cracks where perpendicular surfaces meet. Can I just use silicone on those areas and call it good? It's a full tile shower pan and walls.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Yes, you want both hoses going outside or you'll be dragging outside air into your garage, making it very difficult to cool.

Going through the garage door seems like the worst possible choice. What are the walls made of? If it's standard construction you probably want to look into installing proper vents for this on the house.

Yeah, standard construction, with brick on the outside. I'll look into it, thanks for the advice.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

GOD IS BED posted:

I want it to look good, but I can't exactly practice either. There are no windows in my garage, just my big car door and walls, so this seems like the easiest, cheapest way to me. Any advice is welcome.

I have been looking at doing the same thing and the best solution I have seen is a garage door exhaust port. It's the same thing they use to vent cars outside so you can work on them with the door closed. They don't look that hard to install but are a tiny bit noticeable from the front. My garage is surrounded by brick and so far this is the best way I have found to minimize the damage.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 20, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bought a house a couple of months ago and have recently received a few mailers advertising things like mortgage protection plans and bi-weekly payment plans targeted at me. However, none of them bothered to spell my last name correctly, despite me signing a few dozens closing documents with my last name spelled correctly on all of them. Is this a sign that they aren't worth my time, or should I look into why they've all hosed up my last name in the same way (which isn't even how people normally gently caress it up)?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ignore them all. Someone hosed up your name on a list that was sold for scummy companies to spam with official sounding mail to make you buy things you don’t need or want.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Bought a house a couple of months ago and have recently received a few mailers advertising things like mortgage protection plans and bi-weekly payment plans targeted at me. However, none of them bothered to spell my last name correctly, despite me signing a few dozens closing documents with my last name spelled correctly on all of them. Is this a sign that they aren't worth my time, or should I look into why they've all hosed up my last name in the same way (which isn't even how people normally gently caress it up)?

Double check your name is recorded correctly. If it is, then you have a perfect filter for garbage junk mail. If it isn't, call your title/escrow people and bitch until they fix it for free. And you still have a great filter.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

C-Euro posted:

Is this a sign that they aren't worth my time

They aren't worth your time anyway. No one who is any good needs to mass mail/cold call/go door to door to get business.

Personally I'm sending coupons and other junk mail back to all the companies that send me "mortgage protection plans" (lovely life insurance) in their business reply envelopes.

It's extraordinarily petty, and it makes me happy.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
You could throw it into the trash and save yourself some time!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

C-Euro posted:

Your sale is the public record, these mortgage refinance and other spammers just go through that record and mail to everyone who sold in the last year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My name looks correct on my title and all the other various paperwork, looks like my gut was correct on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is there a trade/crafts name for grouting? What would I search by ('lixensed xxx')?