Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Then you get users who break paper trays or spill toner and poo poo reloading them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I do not handle in house IT. However I'm a little slow on projects and the GM of my office asked me to figure out what it'd take to move our network services out of our physical office. No problem.

Now I've come up against something that I feel strongly about. If I run a company, there will be no internal email and no internal file shares. There will only be Slack, some ticketing platform, and maybe Confluence.

I'm currently figuring out how much cloud storage we need, we have a NAS, and it has about 2tb of files

vm-project/
vm-project-good/
vm-PROject-old-good/

I'm just nuking it all.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There will only be Slack, some ticketing platform, and maybe Confluence.

Well, by the time you do it, Slack will already have some disaster of a JIRA and Confluence replacement built in so their app can consume all the memory.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good luck communicating with all those external parties who still rely on email and phone calls and pigeons etc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Good luck communicating with all those external parties who still rely on email and phone calls and pigeons etc.

external email is fine, just no internal email.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"hey jeoh, you touched thing once last year, so you're the SME now"

no good deed goes unpunished

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Honestly, I'm not mad at the users themselves for being computer illiterate, I'm mad at the system in place that fails to teach people basic computer skills and critical thinking so they're not just memorizing what to do until a button moves and they freeze. Doubly so for impoverished areas where owning a computer at home may be a luxury out of their reach.

This.

Also the more streamlining that goes into user products (say, phones) the less people are able to glean about their inner workings just by using them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jeoh posted:

Argh god drat it. I’ll never learn this it seems.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jeoh posted:

This happens to me all the time at the MSP I'm at.

"Hey, James, you touched this customer a week after starting with us to look at their server because it wasn't patching, so you're the SME for that customer now; here's a ticket about some obtuse application they use that is no longer functioning and has no support"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It’s really funny how quickly my position on “devs vs IT” switched once I joined the evil side. I’ve been jerked around on getting a service account for terraform for pagerduty for a month because they don’t want to give devs access to service accounts. setting aside the sheer inconsistent hilarity, it’s pure idiocy considering the alternative to putting said service account’s API key into secrets manager is making every dev an admin who needs to generate and manage their own keys.

Their compromise is to give me the API key directly because they don’t want to “give direct access to service accounts” :laffo:

Should I enlighten them?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Pissing me off:

Modern browsers locking down non-standard ports.

We use an anti-spam service that uses port 10080 for user access. This was fine when we started using it 5 years ago, but now modern browsers refuse to connect to it so I either have to walk users through disabling the protection or waste my time searching through the filtered list for the email that they're sure Jason Smith sent them but isn't in their in box.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I just spent 3 hours in a teams conference with our pro support team, the customer IT Team, and some 3rd party app support team to troubleshoot an issue where the whole time I was saying:

“hey guys, what does the public DNS say”
“this sounds like a DNS issue”
“what does that address resolve to?”
"What does the A record look like?"

All the while everyone else is loving around digging through obscure logs, checking DB entries, going back through past maintenance emails, etc.

GUESS WHAT THE loving PROBLEM WAS

I just wanted to have a chill day, quietly spin up a couple VMs and keep a side eye on the US Open, but instead I have to do this poo poo.

I legit watched their IT Team do
code:
telnet https://<URL> 443
and then come back at us “see, it doesn’t work”.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 17, 2021

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The flowchart in my brain specifically says whenever my internal monologue includes "It can't be DNS" I immediately check for DNS issues

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

Pissing me off:

We use an anti-spam service that uses port 10080 for user access. This was fine when we started using it 5 years ago, but now modern browsers refuse to connect to it so I either have to walk users through disabling the protection or waste my time searching through the filtered list for the email that they're sure Jason Smith sent them but isn't in their in box.

You probably should not be allowing users to disable this protection as it opens them up for NAT slipstreaming.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
You can't measure a the dimensions of a widget two different ways. Just because device A can do 20 measurements and device B can do 17 does not mean you get to switch back and forth

Your options are
1. only measure widgets on device A
2. change the program on A so that B matches.
3. Spend 80k and replace B

But you can't use both.

It's common sense

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 18, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

PremiumSupport posted:

Pissing me off:

This isn't a browser problem. Why are you using a common open socks proxy port, why is your service not being reverse proxied through some SSO-covering endpoint, why is the port not configurable?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Biowarfare posted:

This isn't a browser problem. Why are you using a common open socks proxy port, why is your service not being reverse proxied through some SSO-covering endpoint, why is the port not configurable?

Not for profit, no budget, using old non-configurable equipment. :suicide:

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 18, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

You probably should not be allowing users to disable this protection as it opens them up for NAT slipstreaming.
Anyone relying on NAT for network security should not be in IT and ideally should be fired into the sun.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I know people bitch about changing toner/drums/belts whatever but I deal with 50+ desktop lasers at my job and I would much rather go change it every time then try to figure out what creative someone broke it by shaking a loving toner cartridge or yanking out a paper jam or whatever

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Anyone relying on NAT for network security should not be in IT and ideally should be fired into the sun.

There's no rocket large enough

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
edit: Wrong thread sorry!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s really funny how quickly my position on “devs vs IT” switched once I joined the evil side. I’ve been jerked around on getting a service account for terraform for pagerduty for a month because they don’t want to give devs access to service accounts. setting aside the sheer inconsistent hilarity, it’s pure idiocy considering the alternative to putting said service account’s API key into secrets manager is making every dev an admin who needs to generate and manage their own keys.

Their compromise is to give me the API key directly because they don’t want to “give direct access to service accounts” :laffo:

Should I enlighten them?

I've run into this a bunch, like IT pushing updates on multiple occasions that broke Visual Studio or one of the frameworks we rely on, then taking literally an entire day to respond to tickets. Come on, guys, you can either lock down our machines or be unresponsive. If you try both you're going to have a team of reasonably smart people devoting 100% of their faculties (because they can't do anything else constructive) to putting together shadow IT to bypass the problem.

Whenever I've had a tech in my cube (in the beforetimes) to diagnose or fix poo poo he's politely ignored my desktop having two taskbars.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've run into this a bunch, like IT pushing updates on multiple occasions that broke Visual Studio or one of the frameworks we rely on, then taking literally an entire day to respond to tickets. Come on, guys, you can either lock down our machines or be unresponsive. If you try both you're going to have a team of reasonably smart people devoting 100% of their faculties (because they can't do anything else constructive) to putting together shadow IT to bypass the problem.

Whenever I've had a tech in my cube (in the beforetimes) to diagnose or fix poo poo he's politely ignored my desktop having two taskbars.

My job is pretty much to setup shadow IT for the development team and bypass the security/infrastructure teams as ethically/legally possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ghostinmyshell posted:

My job is pretty much to setup shadow IT for the development team and bypass the security/infrastructure teams as ethically/legally possible.

I hate you.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Sickening posted:

I hate you.

The monkey's paw is I'm responsible for fixing our Oracle applications and dealing with java bullshit. I only came to this thread to rant against a 1,125 line error that simply said "contact oracle support if this occurs" which caused a JVM to OOM, thus an outage and now sitting in a SR3 phone call at the moment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo not pissing me off! Now that we are at a > 90% vaccination rate at work, those that are fully vaccinated are no longer required to wear a mask at work! I only go in when I need to touch hardware, but it's nice to not have to worry as much. I still keep a mask in my car of course and use it whenever I am out and about, and will continue to do so for probably years to come.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shadow IT is an issue indicating a problem with an inflexible IT organisation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our solution for that is everyone's budget is so lovely no one can afford to start up their own stuff. The only way for anyone to do anything is go through us!

(but our budget is lovely too so it's all running on hopes and prayers)

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
The last request for shadow IT I got was 'sure you can have $Product, if you complete this documentation that states clearly why you need that product in terms of what it does that $ApprovedProduct can't already do'

It was quite a weird situation. It was a new C-Level and I got the impression she seemed to think IT people said 'how high' when she said jump. She was then surprised when I didnt and also when my boss, or his boss wouldn't - she left within about 3 months and the whole thing went away.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Found out today that a remote employee was accidentally termed on 6/9 but his job is so light that he didn't notice that his email and vpn access didn't work until just now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yes, but its also not an absolute. Many other factors lead to it and I feel a lot of boils down to "want vs need". Its also incredibly hard to stop without a lot of layers of security, but our org is pretty close squashing it all out.

If you org can watch internet traffic , control apps with inventory/dlp, and have the nerve to go a little farther in regulated places then you should snuff almost all of it out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

phosdex posted:

Found out today that a remote employee was accidentally termed on 6/9 but his job is so light that he didn't notice that his email and vpn access didn't work until just now.

Oof, that really doesn't have a good excuse.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

He probably only noticed because he didn't get a paycheck. Living the god-damned dream.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot of shadow IT is just new hires wanting to use the same tools they used at their last place and asking for it, I'd say 80% of the time having a discussion about the tools that the organisation already pays for and explaining the feature overlap is all that's needed to make the request go away. There's no point being stand-offish about it as that's when things just get ordered on corporate cards and without DLP policies in place you lose sight of the issue.

This does all depend on having someone with the ability to make the final decision if you have a new starter that wants to use Asana when the company already uses Monday everywhere or whatever.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sickening posted:

Oof, that really doesn't have a good excuse.

Thanatosian posted:

He probably only noticed because he didn't get a paycheck. Living the god-damned dream.

It's crazy, this guy is listed as a Sales Manager. How does a sale guy not check email for 1.5 weeks. I guess maybe he was on vacation.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

phosdex posted:

It's crazy, this guy is listed as a Sales Manager. How does a sale guy not check email for 1.5 weeks. I guess maybe he was on vacation.

(sweating) yes. i was... on vacation

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

Yes, but its also not an absolute. Many other factors lead to it and I feel a lot of boils down to "want vs need". Its also incredibly hard to stop without a lot of layers of security, but our org is pretty close squashing it all out.

If you org can watch internet traffic , control apps with inventory/dlp, and have the nerve to go a little farther in regulated places then you should snuff almost all of it out.
I agree that it boils down to want vs need. But I disagree that you can fight it with increased control. Trying to control it tighter just pushes it deeper into the shadows.

It's often a case of a part of the organization saying "we want solution X!" when they're trying to solve problem Y and instead of trying to work together to solve problem Y the IT organization simply says no you can't have solution X. Of course some times you have people who don't realize or accept that X is not a good solution to Y.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Our networks team love to use SNAT when routing a port to a DMZ IP, but they're not willing to do any sort of intrusion detection at the firewall level.

I can't even set up Fail2Ban because the legit users and the bots trying to login as root all come from the same IP address as far as my server is concerned!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We had a department try to bring on an app that didn’t support user provisioning or SSO, and they were gonna have 500+ users in it.

Pretty sure that one got squashed quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I agree that it boils down to want vs need. But I disagree that you can fight it with increased control. Trying to control it tighter just pushes it deeper into the shadows.

It's often a case of a part of the organization saying "we want solution X!" when they're trying to solve problem Y and instead of trying to work together to solve problem Y the IT organization simply says no you can't have solution X. Of course some times you have people who don't realize or accept that X is not a good solution to Y.

Well, there is only so deep someone can go. Shadow IT in our world would have be groups of people using totally separate, non-managed machines on totally separate networks, with totally separate email systems. They would also have to get around talking about it in any managed system or speak in code. They would have to manage to not get caught despite C-level leaders strictly outlawing it in written policy written this calendar year.

Its entirely possible, just not likely. Users are lazy. Devs aren't as smart as they think they are and are also lazy.