Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'd like to see with the whole trope about a monster pulling people into an alternate dimension would be if enough people got caught and evaded it that they ended up banding together, and basically scaring the monster OUT of it's own lair by kicking it's rear end. Suddenly the monster is lost in our world trying to get help taking it's own world back from the "bullies". :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Imagined posted:

It's not exactly what you're looking for but there is Wellington Paranormal, whose elevator pitch is basically "Reno 911 meets What We Do In the Shadows".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxbN3Bp6f4

It should also be noted that it's literally a spin-off of WWDITS, the two cops are the cops from that movie.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of want to see an 80s supernatural thing where other small towns have disappeared each under unique circumstances, so one of them is empty but full of a weird purple fog, one of them is just a crater, one of them is completely mirrored and all the survivors only talk backwards, basically where every other Steven King style story actually happened already, and so the sheriff of THIS small town immediately assumes that the disappearences that start happening there are supernatural because this sort of thing ALWAYS happens in these kinds of towns.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'd like to see with the whole trope about a monster pulling people into an alternate dimension would be if enough people got caught and evaded it that they ended up banding together, and basically scaring the monster OUT of it's own lair by kicking it's rear end. Suddenly the monster is lost in our world trying to get help taking it's own world back from the "bullies". :3:

If you imagine these as video games we all know they'll suddenly spring into existence having sold 300 copies on PS2 but somehow appearing for 2 pounds in whatever CEX you happen to be in.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has the comics world dealt with stuff like that?

Like have The Thing from Fantastic Four, (as an example. I dunno who would be stronger/faster etc.) compete for America in the Olympics. His name is known so there's no risk of unearthing his secret identity, and he could easily get some medals. If not in weightlifting, then maybe in boxing?

Or have there been anti-mutant and anti-metahuman rules put into place for the Olympics etc. Coz looking at the cash that someone like Lionel Messi earns, surely there are mutants with speed and skills that Real Madrid would be prepared to pay millions a year for. Easier than robbing banks, and much more legal.

One mutant with super-speed was an Olympic champion in downhill skiing before his powers emerged (or at least before he was aware of them). Once people put two and two together, he was stripped of his medals.

I seem to remember Northstar was kind of bitter about it, but still admitted "I dunno, maybe my desire to win kicked in my speed powers a bit?"

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

I googled for black actors on Midsomer and the incredibly white image results were whiter than I am, and I am incredibly white.

I love the Daily Mail article that comes up that Midsomer became more politically correct after the original producer left, including such shocking things as, gasp, "One episode featured Gregory Brantner, played by Patrick Robinson, who had a white wife".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

One mutant with super-speed was an Olympic champion in downhill skiing before his powers emerged (or at least before he was aware of them). Once people put two and two together, he was stripped of his medals.

I seem to remember Northstar was kind of bitter about it, but still admitted "I dunno, maybe my desire to win kicked in my speed powers a bit?"

How does superhuman speed make you better at downhill skiing?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

How does superhuman speed make you better at downhill skiing?

Because you go faster obviously.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Because you go faster obviously.

Can't argue with that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ilmucche posted:

If you imagine these as video games we all know they'll suddenly spring into existence having sold 300 copies on PS2 but somehow appearing for 2 pounds in whatever CEX you happen to be in.

*Rubs Hands together* Deadly Premonition 3 it is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Welcome Home" starring jesse pinkman - ok, you suspect your girlfriend is cheating on you again...so you meet up with him at a bar, and confess you want to do the same to get back at her? I get alcohol makes you stupid but come on, you're giving the bad guy/predator fuel to dump on your dumpsterfire of a relationship. The only thing I can give them credit for is that they didn't just half-assedly bonk the people trying to murder them, they bonked until completion

the spooky dark web twist ending is almost too stupid to mention. Let your movie stand on its own, don't try and make it a "wow what if it's real" thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

He certainly hammered it, I'd say.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Weirdly enough this was an episode of the CG TMNT cartoon (specifically the arc where they spent a season upstate in the woods and went through lots of horror movie homages), sorta. A bunch of evil beaver monsters that have Freddy Krueger dream powers try to break into the real world... and succeed! Only to realise that none of their dream powers work in the waking world, and they're nothing more than just a bunch of multicoloured talking beavers who are significantly less formidable than the average talking animal in the world, include the well-armed and angry trained assassins they'd just been trying to kill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly enough this was an episode of the CG TMNT cartoon (specifically the arc where they spent a season upstate in the woods and went through lots of horror movie homages), sorta. A bunch of evil beaver monsters that have Freddy Krueger dream powers try to break into the real world... and succeed! Only to realise that none of their dream powers work in the waking world, and they're nothing more than just a bunch of multicoloured talking beavers who are significantly less formidable than the average talking animal in the world, include the well-armed and angry trained assassins they'd just been trying to kill.

I'd love if they then ended up watching the Nightmare of Elm Street movies, saw that's how they kept killing Freddy and just went "Seriously? Everyone knew that this would happen except us?!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Luca was cute but a formula story. gently caress, am I getting too jaded for Pixar? Like Raya, amazing art. And like Raya, kinda flat characters. Luca wanting to go to school came out of nowhere, the usual Friend Fight was clearly coming, and I wish the grandma had had more scenes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Again, Raya was not a Pixar movie. Disney, but not Pixar, ala 'Tangled'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did the internet forget what it's like to watch shows weekly? The think pieces that keep coming across my news feed about Loki are ridiculous

"This thing from episode 1 doesn't make sense, it's clearly a plot hole" and no, it's episode 1 of x. That's not a plot hole yet it's just plot.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Len posted:

Did the internet forget what it's like to watch shows weekly?

Yes. Yes it did.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

Did the internet forget what it's like to watch shows weekly? The think pieces that keep coming across my news feed about Loki are ridiculous

"This thing from episode 1 doesn't make sense, it's clearly a plot hole" and no, it's episode 1 of x. That's not a plot hole yet it's just plot.

That and dipshits like CinemaSins have poisoned a whole generation to have non-existent media literacy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I watched The Naked Gun with my parents last night and nothing irritated me

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Carthag Tuek posted:

I watched The Naked Gun with my parents last night and nothing irritated me

I rewatched all three of them about a year ago. Leslie Nielsen is great and few people can pull off that role like he can. But there are definitely jokes that I wish weren't there, especially in the third one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A depressing fact is that almost every single one of those spoof movies between the late 70s and early 90s includes a scene of a “Middle Eastern” man wearing a turban with the Holiday Inn logo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

jjack229 posted:

I rewatched all three of them about a year ago. Leslie Nielsen is great and few people can pull off that role like he can. But there are definitely jokes that I wish weren't there, especially in the third one.

Not to mention OJ Simpson!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Loki ep2: Mobius and Loki, two beings not from Earth, use the Gregorian calendar and the birth of our lord JC to measure the passage of time, apparently :v:

Unless there are are other "early 1990s" where jetskis were popular. Which I guess it's possible given the number or worlds/timelines outside of our Earth's.

Edit: I guess the Variant is just jumping around on Earth for some reason? So using our calendar would make sense somehow.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Jun 19, 2021

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A depressing fact is that almost every single one of those spoof movies between the late 70s and early 90s includes a scene of a “Middle Eastern” man wearing a turban with the Holiday Inn logo.

And dads uncles and grandparents doing “hilarious” rapping.

Extra points if you’re gene wilder and you blacked up (in front of richard pryor no less)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

Luca was cute but a formula story. gently caress, am I getting too jaded for Pixar? Like Raya, amazing art. And like Raya, kinda flat characters. Luca wanting to go to school came out of nowhere, the usual Friend Fight was clearly coming, and I wish the grandma had had more scenes.

I think Pixar's been on a solid downward trajectory for a while. It seems they're all either middling animated movies like that or they're maudlin and emotionally manipulative without earning it.

Monsters U is fine but it's not particularly interesting. It does probably get its message across more cleanly than Ratatouille.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Pixar has certainly lost the untouchable winning streak they were on until about 'Cars 2', but they still nail it more often than other animation studios: 'Inside Out', 'Coco', 'Incredibles 2', 'Toy Story 4', etc, is just the last 5 years. I haven't seen 'Luca' or 'Soul', yet, but nothing about the premise of either made me super interested.

And for a third time, Raya is not a Pixar movie, which I only insist on bringing up because the discussion is about "disappointing Pixar movies". It's not a Pixar movie.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Good Dinosaur is some b-tier DreamWorks garbage

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Imagined posted:

And for a third time, Raya is not a Pixar movie, which I only insist on bringing up because the discussion is about "disappointing Pixar movies". It's not a Pixar movie.

No one said it was. One guy said the new Pixar isn't great and was like raya.

edit yeah good dinosaur was some garbage and it's absolutely meaningless. I feel like early on the idea was the dinosaur would figure out that the humans weren't pests and could be domesticated to work on the farm and it wasn't until embarrassingly late in development before someone said "so they invent slavery?" and had to drop the whole idea.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Jun 19, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: you know what, I don't actually care

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I keep loving up with Raya as Pixar, that is on me.

I never saw Toy Story 4. Is it worth a watch? And Monsters U was okay but I only really watched it for Randall.

I seriously thought The Good Dinosaur was going to be more about the dinos making a modern era, kinda like Onward did, but who the gently caress decided the designs were a good idea?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm sorry, I keep loving up with Raya as Pixar, that is on me.

I never saw Toy Story 4. Is it worth a watch? And Monsters U was okay but I only really watched it for Randall.

I seriously thought The Good Dinosaur was going to be more about the dinos making a modern era, kinda like Onward did, but who the gently caress decided the designs were a good idea?

Toy Story 4 was pretty good, it mostly avoids the formulas of the previous movies. It's less of an ensemble than the previous ones so if you're mostly in it for Rex or Ham or Jessie you might be disappointed - it's mostly Woody and Bo Peep with a couple new characters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There are not as many killer tomatoes as I expected this movie to have

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Blade: Trinity is on and Dominic Purcell as "Drake" is incredibly laughable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGN9e8iLZmg
The most :geno: line delivery ever?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think that's just how he acts. He didn't put a whole lot of effort into his lines in prison beak either.

that said he did have a pretty cool vampire outfit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Shirtless is definitely a good vampire look, especially if you're buff like Purcell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

There are not as many killer tomatoes as I expected this movie to have

Jesus this movie was not great and I have low standards

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

Jesus this movie was not great and I have low standards

Attack or Return?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

Attack or Return?

Attack, I've never seen either and noticed it was on the Roku channel free. Is return better?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

Attack, I've never seen either and noticed it was on the Roku channel free. Is return better?

Return is better. They hit the satire vibe way better. They do poo poo like this a decade before Wayne's World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogId4kCae1A&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is that george clooney