Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

You guys arent?

Oh hell no, we’re not even allowed to have cooking wine in the galley. Having a bottle onboard is ground for termination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
USCG limit is .04, everything else is up to the company. It's considered polite to leave a case of beer in your stateroom fridge for your relief.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My last few years in the navy I was basically a functional drunk. I found a lot of ways to sneak liquor on board and it only got worse when I got my orders to Pearl.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

When we went to Puerto Rico the torpedo tubes were instantly packed full of duty free rum and we just kept our collective mouths shut. It ruled

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 18, 2022

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Anita Dickinme posted:

English is the dumbest language.

I think you mean the best language. :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

titties posted:

When we went to Puerto Rico the torpedo tubes were instantly packed full of duty free rum and we just kept our collective mouths shut. It ruled

We smuggled cigars and booze in the TS Vault after we hit Mazatlan.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

titties posted:

I thought I was clever trading 5.56 rounds for stuff in Iraq during OIF 1. You guys traded entire torpedoes? That’s way better than what I managed.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hekk posted:

I thought I was clever trading 5.56 rounds for stuff in Iraq during OIF 1. You guys traded entire torpedoes? That’s way better than what I managed.

I assume you're kidding but since i don't want any visits from ncis i guess i have to be clear that no ordnance left the boat unaccounted for

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

Trading torpedoes for booze would be bad, yeah.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m doing some contract job in a fancy office building in Norfolk that overlooks a bunch of amphibs and it’s deeply satisfying to be looking down at the flight deck like watching ants and whisper “gently caress you if you’re still in

I am perfectly well adjusted person I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wibla posted:

:laffo:

Trading torpedoes for booze would be bad, yeah.

But also completely unsurprising.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Heh you might not want to get rid of the torpedoes.

quote:

In the first part of the Pacific War, U.S. torpedoes were powered by a miniature steam engine burning 180- or higher-proof ethyl alcohol as fuel. The ethyl alcohol was denatured by the addition of 5–10% "pink lady", a blend of dye, methanol and possibly other ingredients. Methanol causes blindness when ingested, and cannot be made non-poisonous. The methanol was said to be (largely) removed by filtering the fuel mix through a compressed loaf of bread.

Later, a small amount of Croton oil was added to the neutral grain spirits which powered U.S. torpedoes. Drinking alcohol with the oil additive caused painful cramps, internal bleeding and a violent emptying of the bowels. It was intended as a replacement for methanol which had caused blindness in some sailors. To avoid the Croton oil, sailors devised crude stills to slowly separate the alcohol from the poison, as alcohol evaporated at a lower temperature than Croton oil. The stills were sometimes called 'Gilly' stills, and the resulting potable alcohol was known as 'gilly'.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Godholio posted:

But also completely unsurprising.

Oh for sure.

One of my old friends who sailed on KNM Stavanger before she was decommissioned told me a story about shipping contraband home from Scotland once after a big NATO exercise.

As soon as the Captain and senior officers went off to the HQ for debrief, a lorry full of booze and tobacco arrived at the boat. The entire crew worked for most of the day stuffing booze and cigs where it would fit and not get noticed by the senior officers before they got back to Bergen.

The lorry drove off 10 minutes before the old man and senior officers came back to the boat, and if they noticed the crew standing around all tired and smug, they didn't comment on it :v:

They had to fess up a few months later when the mess master commented that they never seemed to run out of cheap beer and liquor, though :sun:

Back when I was in, we used to get the bonded stores delivered to a shipping container on the base for "temporary storage before loading", where it got locked in, then we bought the same quota at the first foreign port we got to. I think they started to clamp down on that after a while, though...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Heh you might not want to get rid of the torpedoes.

How did the Navy manage to outfit a ton of ships with torpedos with terrible performance. Wouldn't somebody notice that they....

oh.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

piL posted:

How did the Navy manage to outfit a ton of ships with torpedos with terrible performance. Wouldn't somebody notice that they....

oh.

By insisting "the torpedo is fine, you just suck" for a couple years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McNally posted:

The torpedo knows where it is...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

Admiral King wants to know your location.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Color me not surprised the NOSC gave their hard working sailors the day off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Color me not surprised the NOSC gave their hard working sailors the day off.

It's a Friday. They don't come in anyway.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's a Friday. They don't come in anyway.

Well…. Yeah.

This is all jealousy. I will always pick up orders for the NOSC because the amount of “work” you do is amazing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We were going to be working today because we had been planning for a while to take Monday off, but I guess the CNO mandated everyone has today off so now we have a 96. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

Well…. Yeah.

This is all jealousy. I will always pick up orders for the NOSC because the amount of “work” you do is amazing.

My NOSC put out a call for any O4s/senior O3s who want to do a set of 3 month ADT orders to be acting NOSC XO while the billet is gapped until November.

Line level NOSC workers may get to skate half the time, but gently caress running one. Being the XO of my unit is annoying enough, and we're all officers who nominally know what we're doing. Hell trying to be responsible for an entire NOSC's worth of sailors.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

It's even stupider. The torpedo did work fine in the cold water off Newport but none of the brain geniuses there took account of the fact the Pacific is warmer. Not to mention they trialed the magic magnetic detonator in a place loaded with anomalously-magnetic rocks on the seabed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's even stupider. The torpedo did work fine in the cold water off Newport but none of the brain geniuses there took account of the fact the Pacific is warmer. Not to mention they trialed the magic magnetic detonator in a place loaded with anomalously-magnetic rocks on the seabed.

They also used a dummy warhead that wasn’t weighed / balanced the same as the actual warhead, the contact detonator had never been tested so it would fail on a perpendicular impact…

It was an onion of failure, basically the torpedo was running too deep but that didn’t matter because the magnetic or impact detonators wouldn’t have gone off anyway.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

AlternateNu posted:

My NOSC put out a call for any O4s/senior O3s who want to do a set of 3 month ADT orders to be acting NOSC XO while the billet is gapped until November.

Line level NOSC workers may get to skate half the time, but gently caress running one. Being the XO of my unit is annoying enough, and we're all officers who nominally know what we're doing. Hell trying to be responsible for an entire NOSC's worth of sailors.

I've yet to meet an officer who knew what they were doing. :v:

Well except for one. The second CO of the Howard. He handed us his battle orders written by hand on a legal pad and knew everything that went on in CIC and even knew how to plot, track, and read radar metadata. Went on to be the Nuke-O on the Stennis. Think he's a vice admiral now. Fucker was brilliant.

Edit: Rear admiral, turns out. And retired now after being EUCOM for a few years. Pat Piercy.

He was nuts for Halo too. Had Combat System run lines from his stateroom to CSC and the mess deck so we could all play against him.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 18, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

There’s an officer I ran into trying to filled a gapped IT billet at the NOSC who got wind of me. I may take the 90 days due to my old job loving me over.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

They also used a dummy warhead that wasn’t weighed / balanced the same as the actual warhead, the contact detonator had never been tested so it would fail on a perpendicular impact…

It was an onion of failure, basically the torpedo was running too deep but that didn’t matter because the magnetic or impact detonators wouldn’t have gone off anyway.

Also wasn't all of the testing conducted as non destructive so as to save money?

That is to say, not once did they conduct live fire testing throughout the entire course of development and certification.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Also wasn't all of the testing conducted as non destructive so as to save money?

Yup. It took an actual admiral doing his own tests (firing torpedoes at a cliff, dropping them from cranes) to convince the bureau of ordnance to fix their poo poo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yup. It took an actual admiral doing his own tests (firing torpedoes at a cliff, dropping them from cranes) to convince the bureau of ordnance to fix their poo poo.

I thought it took threatening them with court-martiald in order to get them to do their jobs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Well except for one. The second CO of the Howard. He handed us his battle orders written by hand on a legal pad and knew everything that went on in CIC and even knew how to plot, track, and read radar metadata. Went on to be the Nuke-O on the Stennis. Think he's a vice admiral now. Fucker was brilliant.

Edit: Rear admiral, turns out. And retired now after being EUCOM for a few years. Pat Piercy.

He was nuts for Halo too. Had Combat System run lines from his stateroom to CSC and the mess deck so we could all play against him.

Congrats, you've met a unicorn :v:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Faking it is an art and requires mastering a few specific phrases. "What do you think?" is a good one. I also say "I don't know" a lot. Then you have to master a very noncommittal "Huh", "Oh really?", or "Is that so?" when someone brings up something you should have looked at and known but didn't. Then there's always "I don't think thats how it works but Im probably wrong, let me look into it". Have to hedge uncertainty or making your boss look bad and ensure there's always an out. Make sure to accept blame for anything that sounds like a big deal but noone actually cares about.

Speaking of officering, my STBD potable tank tested positive for e.coli so Im down to just the port going into China.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 19, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Enjoy your shits with Chinese characteristics.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Perks of being in Combat Systems: There is always an unused spool of Cat-5 somewhere.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Perks of being in Combat Systems: There is always an unused spool of Cat-5 somewhere.

I got a NAM for running a fiber-optic cable from CVIC to Radio and down to SSES, linking them all together in their own little LAN. Ostensibly it was supposed to be used to link pieces of hardware used by the ETs, unofficially it was our Halo LAN, since it turns out that the hardware couldn't be linked via fiber-optic cable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1406261060248784902?s=19

Neat

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

About loving time.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BIG HEADLINE posted:

About loving time.

I suppose that means they figured out the EMALS system right??

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flikken posted:

I suppose that means they figured out the EMALS system right??

My first thought was "oh great another reason for EMALS to break".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I wondered if that's why they were so adamant about not doing it.