Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, at least now I don't feel so weird for being so disappointed in Netflix Castlevania.

(On the other hand, reading about Ruins is kind of shocking considering Ellis was responsible for Nextwave. I mean, I guess that's also an ultra-cynical take on the Marvel Universe, but from what I recall, it works.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The same man that wrote Ruins wrote Transmetropolitan then wrote Planetary then wrote Nextwave.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

I wasn't questioning them being contemporaries or even having overlapping sensibilities on a surface level, it was "three of the most famous modern comic creators" that I was specifically questioning. And Millar didn't really come any later, all three of them were born between February 1968 and January 1971, and broke into comics in 1989-1990.

Ennis's first Big Two project (Hellblazer) came in 1991, and Ellis and Millar's were in 1994. They're very much contemporaries. I guess you could argue Millar's first "hit" came about five years later, if you wanted to?

You can even throw out vast swaths of creators: let's pretend Moore/Gaiman/Morrison/Miller/Lee/Liefeld/McFarlane are somehow pre-"modern", let's pretend comic strips and cartoonists don't count, definitely restrict it to the US English Language market, discount anyone who made their name outside of comic books.

If you restrict it down to that, I'm still not even sure how Ellis would crack the Top 10, or arguably the top 20.

What i now know about him as a person makes me not want to read more Ellis books, but it's insane to not acknowledge that he was both very popular and hugely influential, he re-invented multiple super heroes for Marvel, actively scouted and encouraged a poo poo ton of other comic creators. His level of influence on comics is part of why revelations about his personal behavior were so terrible.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

on the other hand he was responsible for Counter X

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

on the other hand he was responsible for Counter X

X-Man was good (the only time in the entire run). And Counter X being dogshit is what gave us X-Statix.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

What i now know about him as a person makes me not want to read more Ellis books, but it's insane to not acknowledge that he was both very popular and hugely influential, he re-invented multiple super heroes for Marvel, actively scouted and encouraged a poo poo ton of other comic creators. His level of influence on comics is part of why revelations about his personal behavior were so terrible.
Again, we're getting away from "one of the most famous modern comics creators" which isn't to say "he never did anything of note", it's saying that he's one of The Most Famous Modern Comic Creators. Which even if you really narrow down the parameters to mean that you can't include Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman, Bill Watterson or Aaron McGruder, Allison Bechdel or Chris Ware, Ta-Nahesi Coates or Gerard Way, or Kate Beaton or Raina Telgemeier or Eiichiro Oda or Lisa Hanawalt or etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. still seems like a stretch to me.

I also acknowledge (not unlike Millar) that he was pretty terrific at self-promotion and the whole Uncle Warren thing in the WEF days. He definitely helped incubate a lot of creators who are doing good work, but the whole "re-invented multiple super heroes for Marvel" thing never really made sense to me. Who did he reinvent? What is the lasting impact of (say) his revamps of American Eagle, Karnak, the New Universe, Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, Generation X, Doctor Druid? The biggest case that I think could be made was Extremis for Iron Man, though I don't really see that outside of "was a plot point for Iron Man 3", I guess?

Even if we use that as a data point, "having ideas get used in a movie" is an incredibly large club of creators. What other revamp from his "Year of Whoredom" where he claimed to be tinkering around and 'fixing' Marvel properties have really stuck around? Making Machine Man Bender? Does he get residual fame credit whenever Kieron Gillen or Kelly Sue DeConnick write something, because they posted on his forum?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 18, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Again, we're getting away from "one of the most famous modern comics creators" which isn't to say "he never did anything of note", it's saying that he's one of The Most Famous Modern Comic Creators. Which even if you really narrow down the parameters to mean that you can't include Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman, Bill Watterson or Aaron McGruder, Allison Bechdel or Chris Ware, Ta-Nahesi Coates or Gerard Way, or Kate Beaton or Raina Telgemeier or Eiichiro Oda or Lisa Hanawalt or etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. still seems like a stretch to me.

I also acknowledge (not unlike Millar) that he was pretty terrific at self-promotion and the whole Uncle Warren thing in the WEF days. He definitely helped incubate a lot of creators who are doing good work, but the whole "re-invented multiple super heroes for Marvel" thing never really made sense to me. Who did he reinvent? What is the lasting impact of (say) his revamps of American Eagle, Karnak, the New Universe, Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, Generation X, Doctor Druid? The biggest case that I think could be made was Extremis for Iron Man, though I don't really see that outside of "was a plot point for Iron Man 3", I guess?

Even if we use that as a data point, "having ideas get used in a movie" is an incredibly large club of creators. What other revamp from his "Year of Whoredom" where he claimed to be tinkering around and 'fixing' Marvel properties have really stuck around? Making Machine Man Bender? Does he get residual fame credit whenever Kieron Gillen or Kelly Sue DeConnick write something, because they posted on his forum?

he gave Warpath the ability to fly by writing a scene where Pete Wisdom tells him "well have you ever actually tried to fly?" and then he does

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Keromaru5 posted:

Well, at least now I don't feel so weird for being so disappointed in Netflix Castlevania.

I had someone legitimately MAD at me for not liking it. I just don't get the appeal - the action and animation were fine, but the characters were boring, the plot moved way, way too slow, the writing was edgy but in a really lazy way, and, as I said before, no music from the games.

I acknowledge Ellis has a lot of good stuff, but when he's bad, I can't loving stand to read his stuff.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 18, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had someone legitimately MAD at me for not liking it. I just don't get the appeal - the action and animation were fine, but the characters were boring, the plot moved way, way too slow, the writing was edgy but in a really lazy way, and, as I said before, no music from the games.

I kind of liked the 1st season in bits and pieces. At least enough to keep watching it. The finale fight with big D was pretty fun.

But the 2nd season, oof. What a clunker that was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think there's a very good chance that Monica Rambeu wouldn't be in tv shows and movies if it weren't for Ellis.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I kind of liked the 1st season in bits and pieces. At least enough to keep watching it. The finale fight with big D was pretty fun.

But the 2nd season, oof. What a clunker that was.

The Dracula fight was in season 2 though. I think you meant Season 3. Which was quite boring, it had some good conversations and character development. But it had some massive stretches of boring. (actually season 1-2 also had long bits of boring)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Castlevania definitely suffers from lots of slow talking. Could have had a lot more action. Like if any show was ever ready-made to use the Monster of the Week format...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I think there's a very good chance that Monica Rambeu wouldn't be in tv shows and movies if it weren't for Ellis.
Why do you think that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Why do you think that?

Because he brought her back into prominence in the comics and Al Ewing ran with it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Because he brought her back into prominence in the comics and Al Ewing ran with it.
I think we have different definitions of "back into prominence", is the idea that if Ellis hadn't used her in Nextwave that Marvel just would have forgotten she existed and never used her in the ensuing decade plus? Because she was a supporting character in Hudlin's Black Panther before Nextwave even launched though maybe the MCU is going to really lean into her Nextwave characterization of... being a Warren Ellis character who everyone shits on for being a loser soon?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know what we're arguing about but here's a palette cleanser because Mike Del Mundo is amazing

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know what we're arguing about but here's a palette cleanser because Mike Del Mundo is amazing

His recent variant cover for X-men is just unfair. No one should be this good.

https://twitter.com/FraMobArt/status/1387059513547710467

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Del Mundo's covers are incredible. I find his interiors a bit lacking for some reason outside of spreads.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's some Carl Barks:

No one drew rocks like Barks:

And some strangely familiar-looking images:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Action Jacktion posted:

Here's some Carl Barks:

No one drew rocks like Barks:

looks kinda psychedelic

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I acknowledge Ellis has a lot of good stuff, but when he's bad, I can't loving stand to read his stuff.
Now, it did have Bloody Tears in season 2.

It was clearly a 90-minute movie stretched into twelve episodes and it showed. Not just because of the pacing. You could tell because it had the same scene about goats that was in some leaked script passages a decade before. Add the edgelord stuff, the needless gore, the oh-so-euphoric anti-religion angle, calling the whip the Morning Star Whip instead of the Vampire Killer, and only using one tune from the games, and only in the (admittedly good) castle entrance fight, it's like it was calculated to turn one of my favorite game series into something Not For Me.

(I also have much, much nerdier criticisms, but I'll leave those out for now.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you haven't had any in a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Parkingtigers posted:

Preacher had a line where a fallen angel was describing a demon he fell in love with:

"hers was the beauty of blood in the moonlight, of blades in an alleyway, of battlefield screams"

20 years later that line still stands out as just utter perfection.

This is absolutely hilarious. Jesse's response to that line, in rough summary, is "This isn't a letter to Penthouse Forum, get to the loving point". Ennis wrote that line because he hated it, not because he wanted to wax lyrical.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
to be fair, in order to deconstruct something well, you have to understand the topic matter really well too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Yeah, I mean that’s the point. He can turn on the good writing, but then felt that both he and his edgy self insert character are both too cool for it and tears it down himself so he can get back to Starr lusting after a good pegging etc.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Planetary is still extremely good, imo.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I'm always drawn more to stylization over realism in comic art, so I love guys like Sam Kieth, Sienkiewicz, etc. I was just re-reading Meltdown, the miniseries with Wolverine and Havok which came out when I was a kid, and I always liked the depiction of Logan as a kind of dirty, boozy, violent dude with huge Popeye forearms. Could be considered bad art by others though, I like it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 22, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zoben posted:

I'm always drawn more to stylization over realism in comic art, so I love guys like Same Kieth, Sienkiewicz, etc. I was just re-reading Meltdown, the miniseries with Wolverine and Havok which came out when I was a kid, and I always liked the depiction of Logan as a kind of dirty, boozy, violent dude with huge Popeye forearms. Could be considered bad art by others though, I like it

The main thing I don't like about that is the sunglasses. Without those I think it would be a lot better.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love Wolverine's droopy Batman ears.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Lobok posted:

The main thing I don't like about that is the sunglasses. Without those I think it would be a lot better.

The sunglasses turn it into a boomer Facebook profile pic, which makes it hilarious, imo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
He's about to grab his Panther Assault Cannon and storm the local Renraku branch office.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Lobok posted:

They were on a holiday road trip at the time, so it wasn’t like a dumb affectation so much as just where they were in the story at that point.

I remember that series being incredible, and the art was a huge part of it as it was just so… different, at the time. I kinda want to revisit it to see how it holds up three decades later.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Zoben posted:

I'm always drawn more to stylization over realism in comic art, so I love guys like Same Kieth, Sienkiewicz, etc. I was just re-reading Meltdown, the miniseries with Wolverine and Havok which came out when I was a kid, and I always liked the depiction of Logan as a kind of dirty, boozy, violent dude with huge Popeye forearms. Could be considered bad art by others though, I like it

love everything about this tbh :thumbsup:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Havok & Wolverine: Meltdown rules

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zoben posted:

I like that a lot, I might track that down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was reading an old issue of Wizard and came across this familiar name in the monthly fan art contest dated April 1993.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Lobok posted:

That's fair, I wasn't entirely jazzed on that part either, but this came out in 1988. Wraparounds were unreservedly bitchin' back then.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zoben posted:

That's fair, I wasn't entirely jazzed on that part either, but this came out in 1988. Wraparounds were unreservedly bitchin' back then.

When are these making a comeback?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm so glad they were too expensive for me back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm not sure what to make of the edgy new Ennis Batman joint yet, but Liam Sharp is fun on art: