Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bumble He posted:

LIFETIMEINSURANCE!!

it means that no one can take away your vidjagame spaceships .
imagine playing chess but no one can take away any of your pieces.
or if they are taken they respawn.

sounds like big fun doesnt it

What I like best about LTI is that it's either going to be so powerful that it will piss off those who can't afford it, or so inconsequential it will piss off those who paid for it. Which is why it's in CIG's best interest to never, ever implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rascal_Rockhog posted:

Can someone explain what LTI means.

Its an idea stolen from EVE that Star Citizens really think must be a big deal so talk about it a lot and spend a lot of money for it, but also nobody really knows what it is.

Also if you ask Citizens if SC is pay2win they'll say no, because you can easily earn ships in-game. Which means LTI is worthless.

And yet LTI is talked up as not being worthless at all, but super important and amazing to have! Its great I paid $3000 for jpgs because they have LTI! And the new players won't have LTI! Hahaha, it cost me a fortune but now I have a massive advantage over all the other---STAR CITIZEN ISN'T PAY2WIN WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What I like best about LTI is that it's either going to be so powerful that it will piss off those who can't afford it, or so inconsequential it will piss off those who paid for it. Which is why it's in CIG's best interest to never, ever implement it.

Yep, so much of SC's designs are exactly this. Promising two not just different but downright incompatible things at the same time. Star Citizen is a superposition of game design states.

And the only way to avoid collapsing the waveform is to just never open the Schrodinger's box at all.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
You know I've been catching up on this Earth-2 debacle and poo poo, Star Citizen has abolutely nothing on those guys. Star Citizen barely qualifies as inspiration for what they're doing over there. It's everything SC is doing, taken up to not just eleven, but 111.

They didn't tell anyone what the game would be, they didn't even build a tech demo, or create assets. They didn't build a world or lore. They didn't design a game or even begin to talk about one. It's literally virtual land claims with infinite promises and zero deliverables. Even their TOS takes it beyond the pale by telling players that even the poo poo they "own" can be taken by the developers for any reason and with no notice.

They've definitely helped me see the line between "scam because the guy in charge is hilariously delusional" and "open theft and fraud in broad daylight." Part of me is amazed it's even allowed to exist. I see entire new laws being set up soon, entire new categories of law being necessary to create, just to start tamping down on this new way to steal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They'll also argue about the semantics of the "Win" part of "Pay2Win" when you could make the exact same argument about just about every single P2W mobile game (i.e., no clear "win" state).

In fact you could absolutely argue there is winning in SC, in the form of, you know, winning space battles because you have a better ship.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, so much of SC's designs are exactly this. Promising two not just different but downright incompatible things at the same time. Star Citizen is a superposition of game design states.

And the only way to avoid collapsing the waveform is to just never open the Schrodinger's box at all.

Yeah, which is why I think it's folly to try and predict how much longer SC can last. It's already long passed the point of absurdity, might as well acknowledge they really can do this indefinitely.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 18, 2021

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Hello thread,

while Chris continues the 10-year old scam, I am releasing my third game in the same time frame. It's a sequel and this time I added multiplayer, combat and free-form mining. We started from scratch and did this in 7 months, including cross-play multiplayer between PCVR, Quest, PSVR and Rift.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523510/Cave_Digger_2_Dig_Harder/ Our demo is playable in Next Fest.

It doesn't have any SC references currently, I aim to rectify that for the Early Access release.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kharan posted:

Hello thread,

while Chris continues the 10-year old scam, I am releasing my third game in the same time frame. It's a sequel and this time I added multiplayer, combat and free-form mining. We started from scratch and did this in 7 months, including cross-play multiplayer between PCVR, Quest, PSVR and Rift.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523510/Cave_Digger_2_Dig_Harder/ Our demo is playable in Next Fest.

It doesn't have any SC references currently, I aim to rectify that for the Early Access release.

You clearly doesn't understand anything about how games are designed.

What is this ‘R’-word you keep using, and what on Earth does it have to do with games? It makes no sense.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neat, although I'll probably never play it due to lack of VR.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

They didn't build a world or lore.

When I looked over Earth 2, one thing that struck me was how they incorporated real-world nationalism into their sales pitch. "What if you could claim the Sydney opera and fly an American flag over it?" A fairly innocuous example, but the 'scope' incorporates the entirety of Earth, which has a number of not-so-innocuous border conflicts ongoing. And they encouraged it further by marking each user's claim with their country of origin flag, while suggesting that a country's territorial control in this early stage would affect gameplay later.

So not only does Earth 2 include the usual scam tactics of artificial scarcity, time constraint, and the lure of having your foot in the door of the Next Big Thing, it also includes blatant appeals to real-world jingoism.

Taking scummy to a whole new level over there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I wish I had VR, that looks funny and interesting

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kharan posted:

Hello thread,

Hmm, *thinks* looks like a hard pass from me, can I bounty hunt someone, castrate them, remove their limbs and keep them in the brig on my ship while I conduct experiments on them while mixing a Hairy Roberts and satisfying my harem of alien girlfriends with my enormous girth in my -

Oh sorry honey, yes, coming now, let me just finish running this hard drive defrag, be with you in a minute sweetie.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FirsthandHelpfulCony-mobile.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zero_Grade posted:

Reminds me of a scifi novel I read one time where a ship went on a mission to find the origin of some signals. The source ended up being a sentient nebula that was sending out distress signals because it was lonely and wanted friends (or something along those lines, it's been a while). When the visitors tried to leave, the nebula got angry, tried to keep them there by force, and they had to figure out a way to escape. Maybe Chris Roberts is planning on incorporating promising a similar gameplay loop to backers?

So here's some criteria:

1: Has this been in a major movie?
2: Has this been part of WW2?
3: Can it be considered "scrappy rebel humans vs primitive alien barbarians"?

Since I think all 3 are no, this is "too creative" for CIG so will never be featured anywhere.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ah the new unreal engine 5 demo excellent

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I zoned out ages ago, so this isn't just another screenshot of someone clipping through the world? Like, this is how they made this, on purpose?
I truly thought it was a falling through the terrain pic

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

dejapes posted:

When I looked over Earth 2, one thing that struck me was how they incorporated real-world nationalism into their sales pitch. "What if you could claim the Sydney opera and fly an American flag over it?" A fairly innocuous example, but the 'scope' incorporates the entirety of Earth, which has a number of not-so-innocuous border conflicts ongoing. And they encouraged it further by marking each user's claim with their country of origin flag, while suggesting that a country's territorial control in this early stage would affect gameplay later.

So not only does Earth 2 include the usual scam tactics of artificial scarcity, time constraint, and the lure of having your foot in the door of the Next Big Thing, it also includes blatant appeals to real-world jingoism.

Lol, someone could die based on who buys the square with the Dome of the Rock on it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The entirety of Star Citizen is a multi level marketed trashfractal of mutually exclusive feverdreams so the same can be said for any aspect of the game no matter how far in or out you zoom

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

You know I've been catching up on this Earth-2 debacle and poo poo, Star Citizen has abolutely nothing on those guys. Star Citizen barely qualifies as inspiration for what they're doing over there. It's everything SC is doing, taken up to not just eleven, but 111.

They didn't tell anyone what the game would be, they didn't even build a tech demo, or create assets. They didn't build a world or lore. They didn't design a game or even begin to talk about one. It's literally virtual land claims with infinite promises and zero deliverables. Even their TOS takes it beyond the pale by telling players that even the poo poo they "own" can be taken by the developers for any reason and with no notice.

They've definitely helped me see the line between "scam because the guy in charge is hilariously delusional" and "open theft and fraud in broad daylight." Part of me is amazed it's even allowed to exist. I see entire new laws being set up soon, entire new categories of law being necessary to create, just to start tamping down on this new way to steal.

Plot twist: the whole thing is orchestrated by Ortwin and an armada of Start Citizer shell companies to make store sitizin seem normal by comparison with the added bonus of potentially vacuuming up a grip more loot

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

dejapes posted:

I noticed the same. By just making a simple marker (flag of purchaser's country of origin) on top of the "property" they "bought," they're tapping into some imperialistic impulses, and overlaying them onto the literal real world. The underlying implications are as ugly as they are manipulative. These companies definitely know their marks.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Hmm, *thinks* looks like a hard pass from me, can I bounty hunt someone, castrate them, remove their limbs and keep them in the brig on my ship while I conduct experiments on them while mixing a Hairy Roberts and satisfying my harem of alien girlfriends with my enormous girth in my -

Oh sorry honey, yes, coming now, let me just finish running this hard drive defrag, be with you in a minute sweetie.

We do have the electric revolver, which is (probably) using the worst kind of electricity.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Scruffpuff posted:

the third image on their site appears to be two users helping a suited man take money out of a giant wallet. haha

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Currently setting up a Squarespace store page for Earth 3.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kharan posted:

We do have the electric revolver, which is (probably) using the worst kind of electricity.

Could it maybe have lust on its mind though? I mean, I'm basically a credulous idiot who punches above his weight with a job in IT whose nostalgia for simpler times has got the better of him and a well-stuffed wallet ready to be flung open for any slick snake oil salesman who pitches something even half decent at me.

.random
May 7, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

Is Turbulent really capable of cobbling crobbling together a techdemo that doesn't crash every half hour?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

Which is a shame since just waiting a while will allow CIG to gift you hundreds of dollars of free ship value in the CCU game.

Wait, it says "gift" not "grift". Never mind.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The spindly transit tubes are so dumb. They already have flying trams in their megacities. Why do they need rails in their flying city?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It looks like N64 Turok :laugh:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Nice.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Scruffpuff posted:

Used to be to steal something you had to put on a uniform. Black clothes, balaclava, gloves. You had a swag bag. Times were simple back then. You could nab something from somebody using a little street knowledge. The application of a crowbar, a push on the right window, a bobby pin to a lock. You can get away with small hauls, sometimes big, depending on your luck.

Now you gotta promise something. Ridiculous I now. You gotta promise the earth and more. Something that captures the imagination. Something that gets someone fired up to plant their digits into a payment plan. And here's the thing, once you've got 'em once on the idea, they will keep coming back for more. So long as you promise 'em more.

Me? I'm just a petty thief who's being outclassed by the bigger crooks out there. No swag bag to be found on the shoulder of these guys. Just a studio and a manifesto, some images and some wide eyed idea as to what fun is. It's a different world I tell you. Robbing people blind is a very different skill set.

My only hope to relive my glory days is to play Star Citizen as a pirate. Smash and grab. Hide and run. Pledge and play.

Gotta pay your dues to get your swag these days. Yup.

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t
Maybe when the CRobbler promised VR for Star Citizen, he thought it meant "Virtual Release"?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

your morrowind screenshot is in the wrong thread

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

... you know that literally is a Morrowind screenshot right

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

marumaru posted:

So this is the power of StarEngine. I'm buying a Hull-C.

This looks terrible.

Are you sure this isn't a screenshot of someone that clipped under the city and there's no textures on the underside of it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is CIGs solution to clipping thru planets. It's not a bug, you're now on a gas giant cloud city!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

... you know that literally is a Morrowind screenshot right

...oh

the :crobear: is getting to my head.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Saw posted:

Maybe when the CRobbler promised VR for Star Citizen, he thought it meant "Virtual Release"?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 19, 2021

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Star Citizen: just maybe ask around if you don't fully grasp it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008