Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'm curious about with the Blights (mild s02 e02 things so I'll put it in spoilers) is if Amity's father will join Amity and her siblings on Luz's side, leaving her mother basically alone and wallowing in her own toxicity. Given what we see of him in that episode he is at least a lot fairer than she is, so I could see her behaviour finally annoying him enough that he develops the confidence to stand up to her, even if it's just making clear that once he no longer needs her after the Emperor Bellos contract is over their marriage will also be over.

I don't get that impression. From his one appearance before and some of his lines in this episode with his wife, while he is more absorbed in his work, he shares most of her opinions. He seems to have more honor then her, but the stuff he was bringing up was largely based on pragmatism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's probably more accurate yeah. However, he may notice that he is losing his daughter (while his wife tries to double down) and try to repair the relationship a bit given his practical nature.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do get the strong vibe with the couple that he's more focused on his work and leaves the management and social side of things to his wife, he almost comes off as mildly on the spectrum. Also does seem like he's usually deferred to his wife on parenting too, and given the twins seem to be her ideal kids (or at least present as such to her) there's been no problem until now.

Also, probably some rule of symbolism that Amity's shown to have partly her father's hair colour- and iirc, her mother makes her dye her hair green to match her and the twins. And Amity is shown to be particularly talented with Abominations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On an unrelated note, I wanna see Principle Bump join Luz's glyph boot camp, because when you are head of a school that teaches magic exclusively, it would be important to keep up with any new advances so that your school doesn't get left behind.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TwoPair posted:

No offense to anyone here but I think people are getting too invested in what is almost definitely not the show's primary narrative and even if they get in a relationship it's gonna take a backseat to a bunch of plot stuff or one-off gag episodes.

counterpoint, it's cute

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

counterpoint, it's cute

It's going to be extremely cute. I hope there's a bit where Luz joins some version of the ROTC in Hexside and comes to literally carry Amity away from some boring task to the tune of Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TwoPair posted:

No offense to anyone here but I think people are getting too invested in what is almost definitely not the show's primary narrative and even if they get in a relationship it's gonna take a backseat to a bunch of plot stuff or one-off gag episodes.

When your representation in media is still crumbs, even tangential relationships and identities are a big deal.

Speaking of, I haven't listened yet but apparently Dana Terrace confirmed on this podcast that Luz is gender non-conforming - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/009-dana-terrace-truffles-discontent-compromise-in/id1555865447?i=1000525622941

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

counterpoint, it's cute

Touche

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

xeria posted:

When your representation in media is still crumbs, even tangential relationships and identities are a big deal.

Speaking of, I haven't listened yet but apparently Dana Terrace confirmed on this podcast that Luz is gender non-conforming - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/009-dana-terrace-truffles-discontent-compromise-in/id1555865447?i=1000525622941

Called it!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Luca is super good and I'm so drat annoyed that everybody seems to have missed the truckloads of gay theming and subtext in it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
well looks like Johnny Test is back for real this time, on Netflix specifically;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNyvySXocc

new style is kinda weird like it's definitely better animated than most of the old show but the coloring/shading is weird as hell(looks like the faded out colors you used to see on poorly done coloring book & VHS covers)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Luca is super good and I'm so drat annoyed that everybody seems to have missed the truckloads of gay theming and subtext in it.
it's probably because the director came out ahead of time to say "it's not gay"

https://www.polygon.com/22407617/luca-gay-characters-pixar-call-me-by-your-name

death of the author yadda yadda

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

well looks like Johnny Test is back for real this time, on Netflix specifically;

new style is kinda weird like it's definitely better animated than most of the old show but the coloring/shading is weird as hell(looks like the faded out colors you used to see on poorly done coloring book & VHS covers)

Johnny Test will always seem like something from a 1992 broadcast network Saturday-morning lineup to me. It's just such a low-effort rundown of the tropes that appealed to the early gen-x cohort going for a limper version of the Ren and Stimpy stuff. Is there anything actually distinctive about it other than the 50 whipcrack sound effects in every scene? Calling the town "porkbelly" isn't even a joke, exactly, but it has the form of a joke. Or having the parents be sort of modeled on midcentury American sitcom parents, like would kids even back in 2007 have had a sense of 1950s sitcoms as a cultural reference?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Thanks, I hate it!

The 7th Guest posted:

it's probably because the director came out ahead of time to say "it's not gay"

https://www.polygon.com/22407617/luca-gay-characters-pixar-call-me-by-your-name

death of the author yadda yadda

This is just him saying that Luca isn’t a love story (gay or otherwise). Which is actually true in that no explicit sexuality exists in the movie. However when you look at the themes and subtext there’s too much there for it to have been a complete coincidence. Im on a phone so I can’t do a mega list but there’s a LOT of it and it permeates almost every scene to some extent.

I mean, it ~could~ be a coincidence I suppose. But if that’s the case then the director made a drat near perfect movie for gay kids by complete accident which is an impressive accomplishment on its own terms.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, I got my hands on a computer so now you get the list. YOU MADE ME DO THIS!

:siren:Major Spoilers Ahoy!:siren:

All the gay stuff I remember from Luca:

-Lets start with the obvious which is the overt and explicit theme of being open about being yourself even if some people will never accept you. At the end of the movie everybody learns that the boys are sea monsters and this is framed as a good thing that needed to happen. This can apply to a lot of things but it definitely applies to being openly gay.

-It has been pointed out even before the movie came out but there are a lot of similarities between this film and Call Me By Your Name. Particularly the similarities between the main pair in both movies, a bookish nerd and a more outgoing type.

-When Luca and Alberto are revealed to be sea monsters to the town at the end of the movie a pair of old women drop their umbrellas and reveal themselves to be sea monsters as well, mimicing the way a few people coming out make it safe for others to do so. Also this ties into the idea that gay people were always integrated into society but people never notice.

-Luca is a rural kid who dreams of the big city which is a very common story among gay people.

-Likewise Alberto's situation is very similar to a lot of gay people who find themselves on their own at a young age. In his case it's kind of fuzzy because his dad is a deadbeat who just disappeared one day but abandonment is definitely something a lot of gay people can relate to.

-The boy's relationship with each other is clearly platonic but has some gay parallels to having a first gay relationship at a young age. Particularly the way Luca is freaked out and paranoid all the time and the more savvy and experienced Alberto has to bring him out of his shell over time. Also the movie never explicitly says that either of them ~aren't gay~.

-Being a sea monster seems like a pretty clear metaphor for being gay in a way people can identify imo. It's not applied universally (it doesn't apply to the parents for example), but for Luca and Alberto the metaphor holds up pretty well. It's a condition you can't control that you will be persecuted for if caught. And while it can be hidden most of the time there are certain situation where you might tip your hand and get caught with potentially serious consequences.

-Speaking of the sea monster thing it's kind of odd that the transformation is never explored in any way and many people have commented on this. However this decission makes sense if it's supposed to be a metaphor because in that context the actual mechanics of it are irrelevant. The same can be said for stuff like why the government didn't kidnap the kids when people found out who they are or why the school was cool with a fish monster attending classes. These details never came up because the transformation is statement on what it means to be gay in public and adding these details would have needlessly muddied the waters.

-The villain is a rich rear end in a top hat who bullies his employees minions and treats others like poo poo as a way to feed his own ego and reinforce his own social standing. Not the greatest Pixar villain, but this accurately reflects the mindset of a lot of real life bigots so it works for me.

-At one point Alberto gets outed as a sea monster and Luca immediately turns on him to protect himself. This is something that used to happen in gay relationships a LOT when it was dangerous to be out of the closet.

-Luca and Giulia become close friends but never form any sort of romantic bond, nor is any sort of crush depicted. I don't think this is a coincidence.

And that's just what I remember off the top of my head.

Again, it could be a coincidence. Art is notoriously subjective. But I find it hard to believe that at least some of this stuff wasn't intentional.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 18, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh! And it was released during pride month.

Just saying.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Obviously these sorts of denials are mostly motivated by cynical capitalist bullshit (no judgement intended towards the director specifically, I'm sure he has his marching orders), but I think there's also an argument to be made that there's value in maintaining a certain level of kayfabe, because if part of the goal is to get your big gay subtext in front of the eyeballs of kids with lovely parents that won't let them be exposed to more overt messaging, having a bunch of mainstream media buzz about how big and gay it is can be counterproductive.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cattail Prophet posted:

Obviously these sorts of denials are mostly motivated by cynical capitalist bullshit (no judgement intended towards the director specifically, I'm sure he has his marching orders), but I think there's also an argument to be made that there's value in maintaining a certain level of kayfabe, because if part of the goal is to get your big gay subtext in front of the eyeballs of kids with lovely parents that won't let them be exposed to more overt messaging, having a bunch of mainstream media buzz about how big and gay it is can be counterproductive.

These were my thoughts as well, actually. If you look at the movie as a letter to gay kids saying "you are valuable and there are people who will accept you" then keeping the gay stuff in the vibes and subtext makes a lot of sense. Parents will probably miss a lot of the messaging and see it as a breezy time sink to distract their kids for a bit (I know because most people already have). However gay kids will absolutely see what's up here and get the message. And for them it could end up being incredibly meaningful.

Or maybe Disney executives just suck and didn't want to anger China. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

readingatwork posted:

OK, I got my hands on a computer so now you get the list. YOU MADE ME DO THIS!

:siren:Major Spoilers Ahoy!:siren:

All the gay stuff I remember from Luca:

-At one point Alberto gets outed as a sea monster and Luca immediately turns on him to protect himself. This is something that used to happen in gay relationships a LOT when it was dangerous to be out of the closet.

Yes to all this, and especially that scene in particular. It’s a real gutpunch and instantly recognisable to any gay kid.

Minor aside, this the wrong thread, it being the TV shows one and not the Cine Animation one, but still.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is the Johnny Test netflix still using Canadian tax code voodoo to make someone money?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Minor aside, this the wrong thread, it being the TV shows one and not the Cine Animation one, but still.

Oh yeah... I don't watch neatly as many animated movies as I do TV shows so I keep forgetting that one exists. :sweatdrop:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXEXBsvTKg

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Well apparently it was the 7th most watched kids show on Netflix last year and basically the only one in the top 10 not either owned by another company(particularly ones that own their own streaming services) or they already had a deal for, so makes sense that they would fund more of it since it's popular and not bound to any commitments with any other big companies here in the US right now(not to mention even this new more lively style is probably still dirt cheap by TV animation standards)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never knew anyone with anything good to say about Johnny Test even when I was in its target demographic. It seems weird how little they're changing it. Especially since the original was really trying overly hard to be what the producers thought the kids thought was cool in those days.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess it's a little nice for shows from when I was young to be remade like the endless 80s series that have too strong branding to die. I guess maybe that might have to do with cable channels being directly owned by the same companies that produce the shows and syndication meaning less and less so there's no IP juggling between companies and networks. If a company wants to keep a show going, they don't need to split into a new show even after most of the creative staff get swapped out. And if they end the show and bring it back, there's not going to be that much conceptual distance to make it become a new show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It doesn't help that Cartoon Network basically turned into The Johnny Test Channel with occasional begrudging episodes of their new stuff shown exactly once at random times, before Teen Titans Go took over that slot.

I'm sure some people got into it from Stockholm Syndrome, but I don't see it surviving streaming.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never knew anyone with anything good to say about Johnny Test even when I was in its target demographic. It seems weird how little they're changing it. Especially since the original was really trying overly hard to be what the producers thought the kids thought was cool in those days.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess it's a little nice for shows from when I was young to be remade like the endless 80s series that have too strong branding to die. I guess maybe that might have to do with cable channels being directly owned by the same companies that produce the shows and syndication meaning less and less so there's no IP juggling between companies and networks. If a company wants to keep a show going, they don't need to split into a new show even after most of the creative staff get swapped out. And if they end the show and bring it back, there's not going to be that much conceptual distance to make it become a new show.

I think I channel-surfed past it and caught some of it when I was at "can't be arsed to look for the remote to change the channel" laziness/apathy. It seemed pretty much harmless. Plenty of other better/more interesting stuff, but it wasn't so sucky that it demanded I change the channel right that second like, say, Ancient Aliens sometimes does (Mostly that show is "Oooh, that's a cool place I'll never visit." Rarely it's "I dunno ubiquitous History narrator. Maybe it is possible." But generally the "Is it possible..." questions lead to me going, "No! It isn't! And I have to switch channels now before you starve more of my brain cells with your crazy-stupid!")

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt Johnny Test and Drama Island #556784...345098 all made with Canadian tax code loop hole money?

they get made to minmax some companies fin books. though i thought they had to tv products, i guess netflix counts as tv?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

I wasn't feeling Centaurworld, but y'know what, seeing some of the criticisms I think I'm excited for it now:

https://twitter.com/duane_moody/status/1404497367169003525?s=19

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pachylad posted:

I wasn't feeling Centaurworld, but y'know what, seeing some of the criticisms I think I'm excited for it now:

Me! Me! I have no dignity!

Also gotta love "who is this for" bullshit reactionary arguments and the a priori tone arguments in the comments.

I don't understand why people can't just say they found it confronting and probably won't watch, instead of making poorly considered moral / capital / technical arguments about how the upsetting thing was Actually Inadequate or whatever.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Me! Me! I have no dignity!

Also gotta love "who is this for" bullshit reactionary arguments and the a priori tone arguments in the comments.

I don't understand why people can't just say they found it confronting and probably won't watch, instead of making poorly considered moral / capital / technical arguments about how the upsetting thing was Actually Inadequate or whatever.

The show seems like it's an origin story for how Bojack Horseman got as hosed up as he was. I'm probably not going to catch and if I do, it'll be further down the line. I've got a big backlog of stuff to catch up on even if talking horses were my bag, which they mostly aren't. I do make an except for Sylvia from Wander Over Yonder if only because she more of a dinosaur. And a badass. And pretty much the only sane being in that galaxy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Everyone posted:

The show seems like it's an origin story for how Bojack Horseman got as hosed up as he was. I'm probably not going to catch and if I do, it'll be further down the line. I've got a big backlog of stuff to catch up on even if talking horses were my bag, which they mostly aren't. I do make an except for Sylvia from Wander Over Yonder if only because she more of a dinosaur. And a badass. And pretty much the only sane being in that galaxy.

Huh. I just realised the only talking horse show I've watched much of is Charlie The Unicorn. So weird to me that it's a subgenre when, I dunno, talking cats isn't.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Talking cats can only exist as side characters. Any cat who wants a lead role must first defeat Garfield in single combat.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Pachylad posted:

Yeah, I mean, who ever heard of a cartoon primarily aimed at kids but with much darker, more adult elements in the worldbuilding and ongoing narrative that had a simple, cartoony art style and parodic tone towards a lot of traditional story structure and a bunch of songs and musical numbers?

Oh I'm sorry, someone seems to have left this completely unrelated image lying around...

Seriously though, I don't understand this need people have to treat any piece of media that doesn't specifically appeal to them as being complete garbage that only morons and/or the morally degenerate would enjoy. Like, Centaurworld doesn't really seem like my bag from the trailer but I don't think a show like this existing is a failing of society or that it doesn't have an audience...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, I mean, who ever heard of a cartoon primarily aimed at kids but with much darker, more adult elements in the worldbuilding and ongoing narrative that had a simple, cartoony art style and parodic tone towards a lot of traditional story structure and a bunch of songs and musical numbers?

Oh I'm sorry, someone seems to have left this completely unrelated image lying around...

Seriously though, I don't understand this need people have to treat any piece of media that doesn't specifically appeal to them as being complete garbage that only morons and/or the morally degenerate would enjoy. Like, Centaurworld doesn't really seem like my bag from the trailer but I don't think a show like this existing is a failing of society or that it doesn't have an audience...

I might check it out if the show brings in Ron Perlman to voice a pants-shittingly terrifying bad guy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone posted:

I might check it out if the show brings in Ron Perlman to voice a pants-shittingly terrifying bad guy

The back end of the trailer does show a villain that looks to be almost literally The Lich, so.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I'm glad they're going full speed ahead with the Lumity train in The Owl House. And some major plot developments for Amity, naturally. Given there's been some shots of Amity with red sleeves/leggings in one of the promos, I wonder if she's going to swap to the Bard track/multitrack as part of her asserting her own identity.

Also the official Bud Light twitter account is also on board with Lumity, (as well as Anne/Marcy), apparently. I didn't realise that Brands were getting into shipping now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I'm glad they're going full speed ahead with the Lumity train in The Owl House. And some major plot developments for Amity, naturally. Given there's been some shots of Amity with red sleeves/leggings in one of the promos, I wonder if she's going to swap to the Bard track/multitrack as part of her asserting her own identity.

Also the official Bud Light twitter account is also on board with Lumity, (as well as Anne/Marcy), apparently. I didn't realise that Brands were getting into shipping now.

That was some fun Owl House. I do like that Odalia Blight is apparently a deeply lovely oracle in terms of foresight and/or seeing likely consequences.

She's lucky the Emperor became her new best customer instead of tossing her into wizard jail for potentially enabling coup/assassination attempts against him.

What exactly did Odalia see as the upside for killing Luz/letting Luz die? Amity will be less likely to concentrate on school due to grieving for Luz and hating her own mother. Also, Luz is apparently the new student/pet/daughter of Eda the Owl Witch, who might be depowered for the moment, but probably only for the moment. Does Odalia really want to make a blood enemy of Eda (and likely her sister Lilith, the former leader of the Emperor's coven)?

I guess I haven't seen enough Amphibia yet but is Anne/Marcy really a thing? If I was going to 'ship Anne with anyone it'd be with Sasha. There's definitely some "thin line between love and hate" going on there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everyone posted:

That was some fun Owl House. I do like that Odalia Blight is apparently a deeply lovely oracle in terms of foresight and/or seeing likely consequences.

She's lucky the Emperor became her new best customer instead of tossing her into wizard jail for potentially enabling coup/assassination attempts against him.

What exactly did Odalia see as the upside for killing Luz/letting Luz die? Amity will be less likely to concentrate on school due to grieving for Luz and hating her own mother. Also, Luz is apparently the new student/pet/daughter of Eda the Owl Witch, who might be depowered for the moment, but probably only for the moment. Does Odalia really want to make a blood enemy of Eda (and likely her sister Lilith, the former leader of the Emperor's coven)?

I guess I haven't seen enough Amphibia yet but is Anne/Marcy really a thing? If I was going to 'ship Anne with anyone it'd be with Sasha. There's definitely some "thin line between love and hate" going on there.

IMO, Anne & Marcy's relationship was far less toxic and they had a lot of good interactions in the show (there's also a handful of blushes on both sides in that the shippers have seized on). The more I think about it, Marcy is surprisingly close in Sprig to personality in a lot of ways, and we all know how well Sprig & Anne get along. Honestly I guess it's personal preference if you're into that sort of thing. There's also Anne/Sasha/Marcy, of course.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pachylad posted:

The line about dignity makes me assume he's one of those people that treats Teen Titans Go as an insult and has to loudly proclaim how bad the show is (obviously if you don't like the show that's totally okay, but some people go way too extreme with it).

I'm interested in this weird centaur show. I hope the villain is as cool as that little tease made it look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it deliberate that centaurworld seems to be an awkward hybrid of two completely different things smushed together like the titular creature is.