Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

can anyone advise me on how to do clamshell mode settings and get it so the settings all come back when i plug in the monitor, but don't stick when i unplug it?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Has anyone run into issues with Mail after updating to 11.4? I have a handful of gmail accounts set up and out of nowhere keep encountering a "too many connections" IMAP error that I've never seen before.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

My work Macbook recently updated to Big Sur. I would like to prevent notifications from showing up in the notification center. I just want the banner. Is there any way to do this?

I'm guessing no, since no one responded?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

hooah posted:

I'm guessing no, since no one responded?

Huh. There used to be an option to select whether you wanted an app's notifications to show in the notif center or not, in System Preferences > Notifications (select the app to edit its settings and click the 'Show in Notification Center' checkbox). Has that been removed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Quackles posted:

Huh. There used to be an option to select whether you wanted an app's notifications to show in the notif center or not, in System Preferences > Notifications (select the app to edit its settings and click the 'Show in Notification Center' checkbox). Has that been removed?

Huh, I totally missed that checkbox. Thanks!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Speaking of notifications, my iMac at work has stopped doing notifications for just mail. No sound, no banners or alerts, just the dock icon. I had to resort to keeping the dock onscreen the whole time like a animal because I haven't run into anything online that fixes it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IUG posted:

Speaking of notifications, my iMac at work has stopped doing notifications for just mail. No sound, no banners or alerts, just the dock icon. I had to resort to keeping the dock onscreen the whole time like a animal because I haven't run into anything online that fixes it.
This option in Mail preferences isn't set to something weird is it? 'Inbox Only' is the default if you want notifications for all emails.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

landgrabber posted:

can anyone advise me on how to do clamshell mode settings and get it so the settings all come back when i plug in the monitor, but don't stick when i unplug it?

What settings exactly? Clamshell shouldn’t change much of anything in my experience when switching. Definitely been an “it just works” thing for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm still using the Late 2013 MBP the CEO at my old job gave me as a gift, and it's running Mojave. Didn't realize how far behind I'd fallen. Is there any reason I shouldn't let it upgrade straight to Big Sur?

I can see that this machine won't be supported by the next OS so I will finally be forced to replace it if I want to stay current. That was a good run for a free computer!

EDIT: Found the shipping email and it's from October 2013, so it's going to make it to the 8 year mark for sure.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 19, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm still using the Late 2013 MBP the CEO at my old job gave me as a gift, and it's running Mojave. Didn't realize how far behind I'd fallen. Is there any reason I shouldn't let it upgrade straight to Big Sur?

I can see that this machine won't be supported by the next OS so I will finally be forced to replace it if I want to stay current. That was a good run for a free computer!

Be sure to have a decent amount of ram and a ssd, running Big Sur on a hdd is going to be awful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It has 16 gigs and an SSD so I should be okay.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, but how much space left? You could always upgrade to a bigger SSD if the one you have is getting tight.

Buy an NVMe SSD, a $20 adaptor, and poof you could be running with 2 TB / 4 TB, way more than what it came with, which I believe is a maximum of 1 TB.

And you could always install OCLP if you wanted to bump it up to Monterey when it arrives out of beta.

The Late 2013 RMBPs are perfectly capable of running 12.x; I've got an 8 GB Late 2013 running Monterey with a Samsung 1 TB SSD and it runs pretty well

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 19, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there a way to use natural scroll direction on my trackpad but unnatural scroll on my mouse? There are separate panels in Preferences for trackpad and mouse, but when you click "Scroll direction: Natural" on one it automatically ticks the other.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there a way to use natural scroll direction on my trackpad but unnatural scroll on my mouse? There are separate panels in Preferences for trackpad and mouse, but when you click "Scroll direction: Natural" on one it automatically ticks the other.

BetterTouchTool is definitely overkill for this but useful for a lot of other poo poo too

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I use Scroll Reverser for the https://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Same here, works great.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TACD posted:

This option in Mail preferences isn't set to something weird is it? 'Inbox Only' is the default if you want notifications for all emails.

Back at work and just checked this. It's set for "Inbox Only" still.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I want to get better at not wasting my time (especially on places like SA...) What's the preferred time management app? Screen Time?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I want to get better at not wasting my time (especially on places like SA...) What's the preferred time management app? Screen Time?
Self Control is free but can only block websites; if you also want to block applications or set up a more detailed blocklist or schedule then Cold Turkey is a one-time purchase.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It'd be hilarious if it weren't

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

What's the easiest way to mount NTSF drives in OSX? Is it Paragon?

Also, is there an easy way to hide an active app from the dock? I have the trial of Paragon's NTSF utility but it annoys me that it is always in my dock. I'd rather it just run in the background.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

What's the easiest way to mount NTSF drives in OSX? Is it Paragon?

Also, is there an easy way to hide an active app from the dock? I have the trial of Paragon's NTSF utility but it annoys me that it is always in my dock. I'd rather it just run in the background.

I think you mean NTFS, but yeah, Paragon is the most established name and probably the least hassle.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Doesn't it have a menu bar mode?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Roadie posted:

I think you mean NTFS, but yeah, Paragon is the most established name and probably the least hassle.

Doesn't it have a menu bar mode?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I mean NTFS, and I'll look for a menu bar mode.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well macOS can read NTFS by default (unless they took that out), but yeah if you need writing Paragon is the main one that comes to mind. Or FUSE or just using a Windows VM as an intermediary.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TACD posted:

IUG posted:

Back at work and just checked this. It's set for "Inbox Only" still.

So I guess just clicking on that drop box to check the options was enough to clear it up, as I've been getting the notifications again. I didn't even change it to anything, just clicked on the menu and clicked off.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I hadn't really used Podcasts but had heard a lot of complaints about its nonsensical interface and how much it had gradually got worse since splitting off from iTunes. "How bad can it be?" I thought. gently caress ME you were all right.

I finally got to the end of all the podcasts (mp3s) on my little player and wanted to reload it (it mounts on the desktop) but I can find no loving way of getting a file out of the app. You used to just drag them out into Finder (and much searching has people saying that now works again in Big Sur which is what I'm on) but it does absolutely nothing for me. Found a couple of random posts saying the same thing. No amount of "save" or "download" or "share" options do anything either.

Help me Goons - how do I get a podcast out of Podcasts??!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you can find the RSS feed that the podcast is using then it will have URLs of every episode in, and you can just download the MP3s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dragging out always worked for me, I had to do a stupid amount last year when my Stitcher Premium was coming to an end. It *is* definitely finicky though, I’m trying to remember exactly how to do it… like from memory you need to make sure they’re all fully downloaded and I’d grab a small handful at a time rather than an entire show etc. if it doesn’t like something, then it won’t work.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If you can find the RSS feed that the podcast is using then it will have URLs of every episode in, and you can just download the MP3s.

Ugh yeah I ended up grabbing them manually from the source which is a bit of a pain in the arse but at least it works and is less of a pain in the arse than Podcasts.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dragging out always worked for me, I had to do a stupid amount last year when my Stitcher Premium was coming to an end. It *is* definitely finicky though, I’m trying to remember exactly how to do it… like from memory you need to make sure they’re all fully downloaded and I’d grab a small handful at a time rather than an entire show etc. if it doesn’t like something, then it won’t work.

Aye even fully downloaded they still didn't want to play ball. I've just deleted everything and given up on it. Is there a recommended podcast app for macOS now?

Thanks both of you :)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So FYI, you need to enable lossless streaming in Apple Music on macOS manually in the settings and it makes an immediate and significant difference on Spatial Audio on Airpods Max.

Of course it'd be too easy and useful for there to be a setting to toggle the bitrate for particular networks or hotspots :sigh:

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
If anyone else has trouble creating a new backup after they update their external drive to APFS, the issue is that apparently M1 Macs have this new file format (APFS!) which forbids you to "break the seal" on the system volume and, at least for now, doesn't allow you to make bootable copies on an external drive. The scuttlebutt is that the new format isn't even faster.

Allegedly,

quote:

... it’s time for those of us interested only in being able to restore our Macs, not boot from an external drive, to give up on worrying about having a copy of the system volume on hand at all.

God bless the good people at SuperDuper!, who provide consistently good service even as Apple tries time and time again to gently caress over any non-proprietary or third-party developer. They have a version 3 beta out to create a bootable copy, which I'm using now, and will "soon" be releasing an official update to address the issue.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

snailshell posted:

If anyone else has trouble creating a new backup after they update their external drive to APFS, the issue is that apparently M1 Macs have this new file format (APFS!) which forbids you to "break the seal" on the system volume and, at least for now, doesn't allow you to make bootable copies on an external drive. The scuttlebutt is that the new format isn't even faster.

God bless the good people at SuperDuper!, who provide consistently good service even as Apple tries time and time again to gently caress over any non-proprietary or third-party developer. They have a version 3 beta out to create a bootable copy, which I'm using now, and will "soon" be releasing an official update to address the issue.

APFS isn't new for M1 Macs. It shipped on Intel Macs quite a while ago, and has been the default FS on SSDs for some time.

APFS is there because it adds a bunch of new features made possible by the performance characteristics of SSDs, such as cheap atomic snapshotting, sharing the space of a partition between several different volumes, and more. (You can run APFS on a HDD, but it'll be slower than HFS+.)

This is what SuperDuper!'s author had to say on his blog about how SD v3.5 beta 1 restored this functionality:

Dave Nanian posted:

To be clear, this is only possible because Apple made it possible in macOS 11.4. I'm certain it required changes to the M1's startup process and to asr to finally make it happen. Without those changes, we couldn't have done this in a supported way.

I'm really happy the teams involved made the effort. Thanks, folks!

In other words, Apple probably did more work enabling this than Dave Nanian did. So maybe don't believe everything you read about how Apple movie villain laughs as it releases software which fucks over SuperDuper! for no reason.

What you can say is that Apple prioritizes shipping key new technologies over making sure that absolutely all existing software works as-is, then comes back and cleans up most of the messes at a later date. Sealed system volume and its implementation on M1 are cornerstones of their promises about security, which wins out over a fairly niche backup technology.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

snailshell posted:

If anyone else has trouble creating a new backup after they update their external drive to APFS, the issue is that apparently M1 Macs have this new file format (APFS!)

APFS was introduced waaaayy back in macOS High Sierra, I dunno where you get that it's 'new'

quote:

God bless the good people at SuperDuper!, who provide consistently good service even as Apple tries time and time again to gently caress over any non-proprietary or third-party developer.

God bless the good people at Bombich Software who had Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.26 and v.6.0.1 working to use the patched/fixed asr utility that's in Big Sur 11.3 and later in their release versions before ShirtPocket had their betas ready.

You might want to notice that both Bombich and ShirtPocket had to wait for Apple to patch asr in order to be able to duplicate sealed system volumes. Mike Bombich has also stated that while Apple continues to support external booting, it's going to be limited as to what it can and can't do.

He also mentions something that's a bit upsetting- all M1 machines expect to have a working internal SSD in order to boot; if one isn't found, then you're dead in the water. And this includes 1 True Recovery mode..

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got a decent price for my late-2013 MacBook Pro 13" Retina, like way more than a seven year old laptop has any right to sell for. I feel like I got shot of it at the right time as it was relatively heavy compared to new machines, wasn't really quick enough to do much with any more, and I could see the writing on the wall with continued OS support as Apple seem to be racing through the releases now. It took until lockdown and Zoom calls that wouldn't do background replacement due to the CPU for me to realise that it was really quite old now.

Plan is to wait for gen 2 of the Apple Silicon stuff which can hopefully support more than one external display, and pick up an Air. Shame that MST isn't a thing Apple go for but whatever, can always get a Thunderbolt dock I guess.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Binary Badger posted:

APFS was introduced waaaayy back in macOS High Sierra, I dunno where you get that it's 'new'
Prior to updating to Big Sur I hadn't updated since Sierra :shobon:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

Welp if you wanna run Windows 11 on your rMBP, it had better be a 2018 rMBP or later.. Microsoft says you must have at least an 8th Gen (Coffee Lake) Intel CPU or it's a no-go..

Also this is an interesting tidbit:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702

Parallels posted:

The use of TPM modules in Parallels Desktop virtual machines running on a Mac computer with Apple M1 chip will be introduced in future updates.

So it looks like Windows 11 ARM will have the same requirements...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

Welp if you wanna run Windows 11 on your rMBP, it had better be a 2018 rMBP or later.. Microsoft says you must have at least an 8th Gen (Coffee Lake) Intel CPU or it's a no-go..

Also this is an interesting tidbit:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702

It looks like it will install fine on older CPUs but won’t be officially supported, whatever that means.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Is anything changing with regards to Windows Arm licensing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Who knows they're still letting people download insider preview for free..