Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Today I rode a long-distance train and the rice fields are filled with water and short new rice plants and everything is so beautiful :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
we went to izu this weekend to see the fireflies

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Archer666 posted:

This talk reminds me of this walking channel I found where dude uploads daily and once a week or so he'd walk the same Akihabara route. Just the main strip and some side streets. I legit don't get it. Akihabara's not that interesting nor does the entire street change radically every week.

there's literally a walkthrough of basically every single station in Japan where some guy just goes all around the escalators and just kind of shows what it looks like

for posterity I guess or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

there's literally a walkthrough of basically every single station in Japan where some guy just goes all around the escalators and just kind of shows what it looks like

for posterity I guess or something

Route planning if you're trying to do one of those "ride all the lines" speed runs over a weekend.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Midjack posted:

Route planning if you're trying to do one of those "ride all the lines" speed runs over a weekend.

I get being from America and being like "wow, Japan has actual transportation" and all, but what a boring-rear end day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

magikid posted:

I get being from America and being like "wow, Japan has actual transportation" and all, but what a boring-rear end day.

You can make it a sport:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_Challenge

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Speaking of walking vids I got an ad for the next logical step in that content.

Walking, but with girls!!

https://youtu.be/GPvSx2TRqI0

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I was walking through Osaka today and had a good walking video idea:

Walking past love hotels as people exit

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Or enter

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'd watch a stream of some nerd getting beat up in osaka, sure

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BB2K posted:

I was walking through Osaka today and had a good walking video idea:

Walking past love hotels as people exit

P sure the ninkyou dantai have that market cornered.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want to do a Walk the Yamanote day next time I’m in Tokyo. Seems like a pretty fun way to see neighborhoods I typically wouldn’t walk through.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Long walks are good. I've done plenty across big cities and it was always a good use of a day.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i've mentioned this before, but the best way to get around the city while seeing stuff is to sign up for the bike rental service: https://docomo-cycle.jp/minato/en/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
here we fukin go, lol:
https://japantoday.com/category/tokyo-2020-olympics/uganda-olympic-team-member-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

really thankful my inlaws have been vaccinated at least, hope everyone else out there is getting sorted asap

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Setagaya looking like they have no plans to speed up getting the vaccine tickets out.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Long walks are good. I've done plenty across big cities and it was always a good use of a day.

This. I'm from a small town so I could be describing something normal for big city folk, but whenever I'm in Tokyo I just walk everywhere cause its just so cool to see the different architecture and how the "mood" of the city changes as you walk around.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

sale on Banksy art posted:

Setagaya looking like they have no plans to speed up getting the vaccine tickets out.
Yeah, waiting until next month just for the ticket is lame but still sooner than I expected (October).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

my wife's company information told her "if you don't have the ticket for the first shot, just bring it for the second" lol

I think that's absolutely the right approach for company vaccination drives FWIW, the goal should be getting shots in arms and let the paperwork get sorted out later.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

harperdc posted:

my wife's company information told her "if you don't have the ticket for the first shot, just bring it for the second" lol

I think that's absolutely the right approach for company vaccination drives FWIW, the goal should be getting shots in arms and let the paperwork get sorted out later.

I believe all workplace vaccination works that way. I'm getting my first shot tomorrow (on the very first day of the program - thanks, company!), and they told us to bring our ticket whenever we eventually get it. It seems like that program's managed well, which is surprising in face of everything else the government's doing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
drat the kinmetsu movie sucked rear end

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

My uni will be vaccinating staff and student starting July 10!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm booked for the 10th of next month at the latest, but that cant be right, gaijin Twitter informed me that I'd be waiting until next year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Are there that many with those numbers? There's only a few relatively famous ones I thought.

Numbers are a fabrication that only reflect social networking and algorithmic operation if anything. Numbers are a lie. Numbers are a screwdriver embedded in your soul.

The day I started hating and distrusting numbers is the day I began to heal. Death to number.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAXuJqfhEs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

havent kept track of japanese news lately, but i heard japan's developing some kind of vaccine passport scheme with the EU? is that coming along at all? would really like to visit the inlaws again

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

havent kept track of japanese news lately, but i heard japan's developing some kind of vaccine passport scheme with the EU? is that coming along at all? would really like to visit the inlaws again

They’re proposing a non-reciprocal, one way vaccine passport unconnected to any relaxation of rules on the Japan side. Even citizens still have to quarantine on return to Japan.

They are proposing that other countries let vaccinated Japanese in freely. That’s it. That’s the proposal.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

They’re proposing a non-reciprocal, one way vaccine passport unconnected to any relaxation of rules on the Japan side. Even citizens still have to quarantine on return to Japan.

They are proposing that other countries let vaccinated Japanese in freely. That’s it. That’s the proposal.

sounds like a good deal to me

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

If this goes on for much longer I'm going to have to develop a lame, dorky fascination with some other country! That'll show them!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

well poo poo. i guess i'll contact the embassy again to see if it's still possible to enter as a spouse of a national, last year the embassy told me you can still get in that way as long as you file a lot of paperwork, i didn't feel like doing it last year because it seemed like a pain in the rear end so my wife went to visit her family by herself instead, but i'm guessing there'll be no way to enter normally until some time next year then, so i'll just bite that bullet, if it's even still available

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

If this goes on for much longer I'm going to have to develop a lame, dorky fascination with some other country! That'll show them!

lol

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

well poo poo. i guess i'll contact the embassy again to see if it's still possible to enter as a spouse of a national, last year the embassy told me you can still get in that way as long as you file a lot of paperwork, i didn't feel like doing it last year because it seemed like a pain in the rear end so my wife went to visit her family by herself instead, but i'm guessing there'll be no way to enter normally until some time next year then, so i'll just bite that bullet, if it's even still available

Spouse visa is possible. Might take longer than normal. You'll have a 14 day quarantine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Spouse visa is possible. Might take longer than normal. You'll have a 14 day quarantine.

good to hear, yeah my wife had to go through quarantine as well at the time, fortunately she was let in, i heard of nationals getting sent back at the border because of some small detail in their PCR test so i guess i'd better double check everything before i even attempt it myself

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have the perfect solution. Ban all foreign entry except mine.

I mean it makes sense to me.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
That but unironically

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

By law, all other tourists should have to stay at least 25km from my immediate area at all times.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Shibawanko posted:

If you find out about this paperwork let me know. I'm in Japan but a (vaccinated American) friend of mine is bummed he can't join his wife and toddler for their trip home to Japan later this year.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
In the most recent season of Top Chef there is an episode where the reward is tickets to see the Tokyo Olympics and all I have to say is: lol.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Ive got the COE for my work visa en route to me. My flight is in four weeks so I should be safe to get in as long as the inexorable spread of Delta Covid worldwide and the plague Olympics don't make the country completely shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

Ive got the COE for my work visa en route to me. My flight is in four weeks so I should be safe to get in as long as the inexorable spread of Delta Covid worldwide and the plague Olympics don't make the country completely shut down.

I mean, it's currently under a state of emergency anyway, so I don't think things will get any stricter from a legal standpoint?

also if you've been vaccinated already, make sure you have all your paperwork, just in case the government starts tracking that or accepts it for vaccine passport for travel purposes.