Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TobinHatesYou posted:

So do you believe you made the right choice? A modicum of common sense would do well here. Both e.pilot and bicievino indicated that you should get a proper PT fit and you did the literal opposite and dug a proverbial hole.

Alright chill. I think enough people have dogpiled on actionjackson. They've gotten all the actionable advice that they need, and now it's up to them to implement it and hopefully not injure themself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I'm actually more wary of the 101 than highway 30, but Astoria to Longview on the 30 is one of the centuries i wanna do. There are are so many forest roads that i could do a gravel century. I just need more time and miles on the saddle
You’re very correct to be wary of 101. It’s a dangerous highway to bike on. People do it all the time, and ODOT wants to fix some of the sketchy spots, but I would never ride it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MetaJew posted:

What are my options for an 700c, 80mm valve stem inner tube? The few online bike shops I've checked have been completely sold out, and Amazon only seems to have Continental tubes-- which I've bought in the passed, but I'm always paranoid I'm going to get counterfeit parts or something.

Tubolito's come in 80mm. The conti's I've had as spares have failed super quickly

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Safety Dance posted:

Alright chill. I think enough people have dogpiled on actionjackson. They've gotten all the actionable advice that they need, and now it's up to them to implement it and hopefully not injure themself.

Theres been no dogpiling here. If someone wants to post loads and ask loads of questions great. If they ignore all the advice and just do their own thing thats also cool. People can do what they want. I'd say the thread has been incredibly welcoming to AJ here over the last few weeks in general.

But if they keep coming back to the thread and asking 'Should I stop digging the hole?' getting a unanimous 'stop digging the hole' and then just digging the hole anyway it gets a bit tiring.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

What are my options for an 700c, 80mm valve stem inner tube? The few online bike shops I've checked have been completely sold out, and Amazon only seems to have Continental tubes-- which I've bought in the passed, but I'm always paranoid I'm going to get counterfeit parts or something.

Evo tubes come in 80mm with removable cores to boot. They're serviceable tubes but not anything special.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

But if they keep coming back to the thread and asking 'Should I stop digging the hole?' getting a unanimous 'stop digging the hole' and then just digging the hole anyway it gets a bit tiring.

This.

I’m happy to help and give the best advice I can, as are others here. But asking the same thing over and over again in increasingly woe is me whiny fashion after ignoring the same advice given by multiple people it gets real tiring.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

e.pilot posted:

This.

I’m happy to help and give the best advice I can, as are others here. But asking the same thing over and over again in increasingly woe is me whiny fashion after ignoring the same advice given by multiple people it gets real tiring.

Guys the clown bike is giving me a sore knee. What are my options?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

resident posted:

Try going up about 12 shoe sizes.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Are we making smart choices??

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I have Dura-Ace FC-7410 narrow q-factor cranks. 4mm is not that much... And I don't want to buy new anything anymore, I've used more than enough money as it is. The extenders are fine, but they don't have room inside for the whole clipless pedal axle's threaded part. Some pedals fit fine but these specific Look pedals have a little bit longer axle threads for whatever reason.

If you want to avoid spending actual cash, I have a pair of lightly used SPD-SL +4mm Ultegra pedals that I'd trade for a set of square taper track cranks, if you happen to have some 165/170mm ones.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

resident posted:

Did you try wearing a funny orange wig?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

resident posted:

Have you tried a larger clown bike? Like a bike friday pocket rocket?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Did you try wearing a funny orange wig?

Ahem, this is cycling. It's a perruque.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Last few pages: :psyboom:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dren posted:

Are we making smart choices??

I’ve never made a smart choice about cycling

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I moved house to be on a off-road part of the national cycling network (so I never have to go on the HGV feeder roads to the M1 ever again) and it’s been my only smart choice ever :haw:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I always laugh when I watch tourists in SF stay on their seats with their tippy toes and then fall over while trying to climb up to the bridge.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

poemdexter posted:

Okie dokie. Just making sure. I'm a lot more cognizant of it now.

Yeah, I think the official term for it is "toe overlap" if that helps you look up some more about it. I have a lot of it on my road bike, a small amount on the gravel, and none at all on the MTB. It's normal and I got used to it very quickly without thinking much about it. Bloody annoying the first time it caught me out though, as you say!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

e.pilot posted:

Good idea

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 18, 2021

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Toe overlap is generally caused by manufacturers refusing to change wheel sizes when they change frame sizes. You're allowed to have a road bike with other wheel sizes than 700C and it's the geometry most prone to overlap.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

resident posted:

Fox Gloves are the best I've ever worn, but pretty much only use them for MTB unless I feel like there's added risk of falling due to road conditions or drinks consumed. They have various levels of breathability with Rangers being quite light, and something like the DirtPaw being pretty heavy.

I got used to wearing full fingers all the time. Feels good man.

Seems like $30 give or take is what I'm spending.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SimonSays posted:

Toe overlap is generally caused by manufacturers refusing to change wheel sizes when they change frame sizes. You're allowed to have a road bike with other wheel sizes than 700C and it's the geometry most prone to overlap.

This is bollocks. Short wheelbase gives you rapid handling but also toe overlap. You'd need Brompton wheels to eliminate any overlap for lots of geometry's.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

MalleusDei posted:

I got used to wearing full fingers all the time. Feels good man.

Seems like $30 give or take is what I'm spending.

I've got some 100% full fingered gloves that I've been liking. Use 'em on road and MTB. The have no padding, but feel fine. They've also got conductive thread on the thumb and index finger so the work with touchscreens.

https://www.100percent.com/products/r-core-glove-black

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Seconding 100% gloves, I have three pair of the ridecamp or something like that and they're great. Just got some fox flexairs and they're also great.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Adidas released some more Velosambas; I managed to snag a pair in my size! I can ride my road bikes to my friends' places while wearing normal clothes!

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 18, 2021

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Even on my low trail bike I have some amount of toe overlap.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Add fenders and it's virtually guaranteed. It's not generally a problem though unless you're trying to track stand, or derping around in rock gardens on an inappropriate bike *cough*

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

e.pilot posted:

No joke I was literally hours away from buying a pocket rocket two weeks ago and the Craigslist guy flaked on me. No texts for 7 days and finally he asked if I still wanted to buy it.

“I've been dealing with family emergencies then went to the mountains to process...out of cell range..so my apologies for no response.
If you want to come to my house and look at the bike we can set up a time. “

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

resident posted:

No joke I was literally hours away from buying a pocket rocket two weeks ago and the Craigslist guy flaked on me. No texts for 7 days and finally he asked if I still wanted to buy it.

“I've been dealing with family emergencies then went to the mountains to process...out of cell range..so my apologies for no response.
If you want to come to my house and look at the bike we can set up a time. “

Do it, you won't regret it. :getin:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

Note: your bike may not have the same components as e.pilot’s.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

This.

I'm not ignoring people, kimbo has been giving me a lot of great advice, both here and over PMs. Everyone should be like kimbo tbh

I will practice clipping in (well I'll start with just regular shoes) in a safe spot tomorrow!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Note: your bike may not have the same components as e.pilot’s.

It was still hella good with the 1x 105/GRX mashup.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

e.pilot posted:

Can you post a pic of it folded up?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

It was still hella good with the 1x 105/GRX mashup.

Nah I know I just love your setup.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

actionjackson posted:

I'm not ignoring people, kimbo has been giving me a lot of great advice, both here and over PMs. Everyone should be like kimbo tbh

I will practice clipping in (well I'll start with just regular shoes) in a safe spot tomorrow!

If you posted a video of you riding your bike it would help a lot more than a photo of a book stuffed up your crotch. On a trainer preferably, in a clown wig if you like.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

e.pilot posted:

when e.pilot posts about this bike I picture it travelling folded up on the cockpit jump seat :3:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

meltie posted:

when e.pilot posts about this bike I picture it travelling folded up on the cockpit jump seat :3:

You’re actually not too far off lol.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

numberoneposter posted:

Can you post a pic of it folded up?

I don’t have anything recent

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Would a Seasucker work on a commercial airliner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I showed my wife your bike and she still made fun of me or wanting to buy a tiny wheel bike. Nuance is lost on the ignorant.

your bike is loving awesome

e: she thinks the clown bike is hilarious so apparently there’s an extreme ground. There is no room for a middle ground

resident fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 19, 2021