Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thanks for the feedback above. Between Vital (which looks great) and the free Native Instruments stuff, I imagine I will be limited by skills rather than "stuff" on the synth side for a long time.

Follow-up: recommend me some good general-purpose piano VSTs to look at, budget $0-$100. Must be beginner friendly (eg no need to do tons of fiddling out of the box). UVI Model D seems like a good middle of the road option?

I was looking at free options like the 99 Sounds Upright and Spitfire Soft Piano, but I don't mind splashing out a little if it makes for a much better experience.

I will forever recommend Pianoteq. It's my one and only piano plug-in, and it's like 50mb. It's out of your price range but immensely worth it, and you'll be done looking for piano plug-ins.

It doesn't use samples, but instead generates a fake piano sound on the fly with math, and it does a phenomenal job of it. It did 13 years ago and it's only improved since then. Because of this you can tweak absolutely everything about the sound, down to every minute detail. You can make it a binaural signal, so with headphones it'll seem like you're in the room, you can adjust the distance between the mic and the piano, whether the uhhh... lid (?) is open, closed, or any degree in-between, when you're playing a grand piano, and it even allows a previously held or played note (that's currently still ringing out) to affect the sound of that same note played again, essentially when the string would still be vibrating. A minor thing, but it happens with real pianos, so it happens with Pianoteq. I'm sure I've gushed about it before, but it is just that good. :allears:

Edit: holy poo poo, the base version is $149, nice! STRONG recommend at that price point, though I'd go with the Standard version ($199) over the Stage ($149).

Edit 2: whoops, standard is $299.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the feedback above. Between Vital (which looks great) and the free Native Instruments stuff, I imagine I will be limited by skills rather than "stuff" on the synth side for a long time.

Follow-up: recommend me some good general-purpose piano VSTs to look at, budget $0-$100. Must be beginner friendly (eg no need to do tons of fiddling out of the box). UVI Model D seems like a good middle of the road option?

I was looking at free options like the 99 Sounds Upright and Spitfire Soft Piano, but I don't mind splashing out a little if it makes for a much better experience.

ADSR has an AIR bundle with Mini Grand (sampled grand piano, sounds great but its ~2GB if I remember right), Hybrid 3 (modern synth with a nice sequencer), and Velvet 2 (Rhodes emulation) for $10, with FirePresser as the monthly freebie (nice compressor, allowing blending of 4 types of analog modelled compressors).

$10 is a hell of a deal for any one of those, let alone all 4. I definitely recommend it.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-aip3-intro-software-bundle/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OutOfPrint posted:

ADSR has an AIR bundle with Mini Grand (sampled grand piano, sounds great but its ~2GB if I remember right), Hybrid 3 (modern synth with a nice sequencer), and Velvet 2 (Rhodes emulation) for $10, with FirePresser as the monthly freebie (nice compressor, allowing blending of 4 types of analog modelled compressors).

$10 is a hell of a deal for any one of those, let alone all 4. I definitely recommend it.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-aip3-intro-software-bundle/

Yeah these are perfectly serviceable. But it's worth noting that they haven't really been updated in about 10 years, and regularly go on sale for $10 or less.

Air Music got bought by inMusic at some point, who also own Akai, M-Audio and Alesis. Like Sonivox, they're just being kept around as a shell so their VSTs can be packaged for free with cheap midi controllers. I don't think they're funded to do much more than maintain the plugins, though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Spitfire soft piano is nice, but it's fairly processed, which limits the situations you can use it in.

Currently my situation pretty undemanding, I'm a beginner and want something that sounds nice and won't frustrate me by being too limited in playability. Right now I'm using a 49-key MIDI controller but plan to buy a quality digital piano when I have space. It will be a long, long time before I need to worry about doing hi-fi sonic justice to Moonlight Sonata or Bill Evans or Elton John or whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: holy poo poo, the base version is $149, nice! STRONG recommend at that price point, though I'd go with the Standard version ($199) over the Stage ($149).

The Standard version is $299 everywhere I looked. I could stretch my budget a bit but once we start going north of $150 I'd rather gain some experience before making a big investment.

That said, Stage is $149 and the upgrade to Standard is $150, is Stage missing anything super critical for a beginner? Do they ever have big sales?

Honestly the Mini Grand sounds pretty good to my ears, I'll probably grab this even if I pick up something "bigger." I'm buying my keyboard used so I'm not getting any bundled software with it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Don't forget Orchestral Tools is doing a LABS equivalent now and their free piano is very good. Multiple mics/outputs too, iirc

Pianoteq is indeed insane tho, the uprights with wear set to 40% give me immense nostalgia for playing on my school's piano that hasn't been tuned for years :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Standard version is $299 everywhere I looked. I could stretch my budget a bit but once we start going north of $150 I'd rather gain some experience before making a big investment.

That said, Stage is $149 and the upgrade to Standard is $150, is Stage missing anything super critical for a beginner? Do they ever have big sales?

From their site, the features compared. Hope that helps.

Edit: drat, you're correct, it IS $299, sorry. Must've read too fast. No idea about sales, unfortunately. I bought standard 11 years ago.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah these are perfectly serviceable. But it's worth noting that they haven't really been updated in about 10 years, and regularly go on sale for $10 or less.

Air Music got bought by inMusic at some point, who also own Akai, M-Audio and Alesis. Like Sonivox, they're just being kept around as a shell so their VSTs can be packaged for free with cheap midi controllers. I don't think they're funded to do much more than maintain the plugins, though.

Huh, didn't know that. That explains the lack of updates beyond Big Sur compatibility. Still, old isn't bad, and my last and next album both use Air Music and Sonivox stuff on almost every song.

That said, if anyone knows of a synth that can thread the needle through functionality and old, dusty junker found in a closet after 40 years better than VacuumPro, I'd love to hear it. I picked up Knifonium last big sale, but that doesn't quite scratch the same itch, and more modern synths sound too pristine for the heavily punk influenced stuff I make.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That was supposed to be free with my MiniLab, but the code doesn't seem to work. I renewed it and all I got was their basic software (which is already free).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah as far as rhodes emulation goes velvet is quite nice

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah I saw the chart, I just wasn't sure how important any of that was right out of the gate (my guess is no), given that there there seems to be no real savings in buying Standard up front vs. upgrading.

Ruffian Price posted:

Don't forget Orchestral Tools is doing a LABS equivalent now and their free piano is very good. Multiple mics/outputs too, iirc

Oh hey this sounds pretty good too. Just grabbed it (and the Soft Piano and Electric Piano from Spitfire).

Thanks for all the input, it looks like Pianoteq does do 20%-30% off sales from time to time, so I'm going to start off with the freebies and the $10 pack. I have to imagine that will keep me more than busy until Pianoteq goes on sale.

e: Not that anyone is eagerly awaiting a follow-up, but my deal on a cheap A-49 fell through, so I bought a refurb Novation that comes with a free Addictive Keys instrument :woop:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 7, 2021

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Anyone have any experience with clyphx? Wondering if it’s worth purchasing

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
If I want some really good quality metal tones in plug in form without having to be an expert to figure it out, which would you go with, Neural DSP Gojira(or perhaps another Neural plugin) or the Positive Grid Bias FX 2? The Bias FX seems to be pretty versatile overall, but I play metal like 99% of the time, so for now, that is what matters. I have some cheaper 20 dollar plug ins, they don't sound awful, but I'm not good at getting a good sound out of them, could be I just suck or maybe just because they are 20 dollar plug ins.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Other than a possible lack of pedal variety, Neural Gojira is king right now of high gain ampsims. It sounds so good it's almost offensive.

Their Archetype Nolly is also very good, and I'd say try that alongside the Gojira to see which you prefer. The Fortin ones they do are cool, but I personally like having decent reverbs and delays in the ampsims themselves which sadly the Fortins lack

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 12, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Does Gojira sound like what you hear in their advertisements and demo videos? Because the couple of sims I have right now don't sound anything like they did in their ads to my ears, even using all the presets. Although I forgot there's usually a trial, so I can just try it out too.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, they've got 14-day trials that are not feature limited during the duration of the trial.

I'm trialing Neural DSP modeling right now and I can say for sure it's/they're great, not to my ears/tastes uniquely great but it is really easy to dial in quickly for a great sound and feel, and that's probably a difference-maker for a lot of folks.

Fantastic cab sim options, though (really really good), each of these that I have tried is a high-end package that have thoughtful and useful features/effects/etc. - I can see these putting smiles on people's faces for sure. Trial Gojira DDD, is my advice. If you find it isn't exactly what you were looking for update though because I have some thoughts that might apply on the other side of trying it, but if your trouble has been getting software to sound like demos, try and see how you fare, it seems like it should be good at that.

Quick thought, it reminds me a little of the difference between like Waves modeling back in the late 2000s and others, in that Waves had a significantly more processed sound at that time, which was great sometimes and not so great others - to me it sounds like Neural has some cool stuff going on apart from just the nuts and bolts of fancy clipping that really helps to bring out definition in the low end when chugging, even with a lot of gain, and that's a nice quality as it seems to get at some more of how amps moving a lot of air through speakers actually sound to us - and, fwiw, I get waaaaay less feeling of potential downside to whatever I am hearing here, it's good stuff. Some amp sims do well at this, others struggle, mark in Neural's favor.

Don't think it is going to pry me off of AT5, personally, but I might pick up Gojira to have its cool sound in my kit too and get its superb cabs and effects with other stuff also.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 14, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I'm gonna give Gojira a go soon. I still need to find a solution to this EMF noise coming through my guitars pickups while at the computer though, I don't want it to tarnish my first impressions of the plug in.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna give Gojira a go soon. I still need to find a solution to this EMF noise coming through my guitars pickups while at the computer though, I don't want it to tarnish my first impressions of the plug in.

if you're using a daw you can just obliterate the noise with eq. turn on a scope, put the guitar down, look at where the noise is, and cut that frequency to taste. there are subtractive eqs that can do this automatically, but it's not that hard to do manually. if you use reaper, check out the reafir plugin's subtractive eq.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So Autotune are moving to the Adobe model and have also untethered themselves from iLok.

Turns out that Autotune has come a very long way since I last tried it.

They have a 2 week trial following that you can continue with a subscription.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

creamcorn posted:

if you're using a daw you can just obliterate the noise with eq. turn on a scope, put the guitar down, look at where the noise is, and cut that frequency to taste. there are subtractive eqs that can do this automatically, but it's not that hard to do manually. if you use reaper, check out the reafir plugin's subtractive eq.

When I'm noodling I usually use the standalone version of my amp sims. I'll boot up Reaper in a bit and see if I can figure that out though. I dunno what it is, I just moved here but from what I've read, it's probably the fact my ceiling fan has a light dimmer on the circuit causing all the crazy noise(its not a grounding issue, touching different objects while holding guitar does nothing, so its just noise in my power). I was just going to buy one of those power strips musicians use that cut down on the EMF and plug my PC and electronics into it. I can use a noise gate to cut it out during idle, but the noise is bad enough to hear during my playing a lot of time.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 14, 2021

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

algebra testes posted:

So Autotune are moving to the Adobe model and have also untethered themselves from iLok.

Turns out that Autotune has come a very long way since I last tried it.

They have a 2 week trial following that you can continue with a subscription.

Hmmmmmmmm

I own the UA one, do you happen to know if that applies to the one they licensed out to UA? I wonder what it means for people who’ve previously spent money on it, if they can rescind access to previously purchased items unless the user pays more - could be that it’s like previous versions of Pro Tools, where you can have Pro Tools 11 w/o paying subscription, but if you upgrade from that it becomes subscription based

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the synth thread:

Imaginando just released a visual synth VST that is quite a bit of fun. Routing all of your poo poo to it can be a bit challenging (at least in Bitwig), but it's fun as hell to mess with and the visualizations are just :goatdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6d3ywuRSY

Currently on sale for half price.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Is BreakTweaker Expanded worth $10?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Absolutely, 100% even if you never open the plugin not even once it is an incredible drum library.
I'd say its probably on par with, if not better than, the library that comes with Maschine.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Absolutely, 100% even if you never open the plugin not even once it is an incredible drum library.
I'd say its probably on par with, if not better than, the library that comes with Maschine.

Turns out with the VC and tokens I had I was able to get it for $2. Seems like a good deal.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oldstench posted:

Turns out with the VC and tokens I had I was able to get it for $2. Seems like a good deal.

I think it was originally priced at $100 or more? Yeah, I'd say.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I do like the Vst itself but it's not really suited for on the fly jamming. Loading samples from the browser is a bit wack, and I find the 6 tracks a little limiting, but having said that, it's like a decade old and once you get the hang of it you can build enough variations for a song quickly then "play" by triggering with midi notes.
With some inventive finagling with the square LFOs to amplitude, you can alternate between sounds on a single track which I'll do with closed hats.

The synth engines can get really interesting, and being able to apply effects to individual hits is awesome. I hope they do an out-of-nowhere overhaul like we got with Stutteredit, it's so close to being amazing, and for its time it absolutely was.

Plus the sound libraries are sensibly categorised and you can use them in anything, they're just wavs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I do like the Vst itself but it's not really suited for on the fly jamming. Loading samples from the browser is a bit wack, and I find the 6 tracks a little limiting, but having said that, it's like a decade old and once you get the hang of it you can build enough variations for a song quickly then "play" by triggering with midi notes.
With some inventive finagling with the square LFOs to amplitude, you can alternate between sounds on a single track which I'll do with closed hats.

The synth engines can get really interesting, and being able to apply effects to individual hits is awesome. I hope they do an out-of-nowhere overhaul like we got with Stutteredit, it's so close to being amazing, and for its time it absolutely was.

Plus the sound libraries are sensibly categorised and you can use them in anything, they're just wavs.

This was sounding pretty great, particularly at that price, but when I logged into pluginboutique, turns out I already own it. This is probably a sign I should be using my VSTs more, and looking for VST deals less.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
This Archetype Gojira thing sounds rad as gently caress.

Bit of a dumb question, do you guys set the gain on your interface to a certain spot and leave it, or adjust it as needed for whatever tone you are going for? When I am playing metal, I put it where it just barely lights up yellow when I'm hitting some hard power chords and tend to just leave it there.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McCoy Pauley posted:

This is probably a sign I should be using my VSTs more, and looking for VST deals less.

Oh hey, it's that thing I say every time I buy something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh hey, it's that thing I say every time I buy something.

I keep saying that I'm going to try and master a synth, specially Serum, and I never do.

I really gotta get on that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pluginboutique has a bundle of synths and effects for $10 today and when I added them to my cart a banner popped up saying "it looks like you're about to buy a bunch of poo poo you already own". I feel simultaneously grateful and attacked by this.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/81-Bundle/82-Plugin-Boutique-Bundle/7737-Make-Music-Day-Bundle?dm_i=6D39,8S1B,ZZS1U,11GHL,1

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thank God I'm not the only one with this issue. But, as "Bob" says, too much is better than not enough.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I keep saying that I'm going to try and master a synth, specially Serum, and I never do.

I really gotta get on that.

Same, but then I get distracted by a bunch of free stuff like this and this, one thing leads to another, and, oops, have enough songs to start another album.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

OutOfPrint posted:

Same, but then I get distracted by a bunch of free stuff like this and this, one thing leads to another, and, oops, have enough songs to start another album.

Holy cow!

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Anyone mess around with any Slate & Ash plugins? They look interesting, would love to hear experience from people who’ve used them

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

loading your samples into Cycles is crazy fun but the instruments are kinda hobbled by Kontakt's engine, the granular stuff they're doing requires a ton of duplicate groups so they end up RAM and CPU hogs. playing one patch is like two Divas for me. if you don't mind bouncing tracks they're super good

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I have seen so much cool looking stuff that needed full Kontakt, I'm feeling really tempted to get it when I can to see what this is all about.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I have seen so much cool looking stuff that needed full Kontakt, I'm feeling really tempted to get it when I can to see what this is all about.

Kontakt is not a thing itself so much as a doorway to a magical wonderland of infinite sound and wondering where all your money went.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Now's the time to get it while they are doing 50% off for upgrades.

I am sure everyone knows this, but if you get the (free) Arcane by Embertone Kontakt library, it makes you eligible for the upgrade pricing.
Or at least, it used to - I got Arcane last year but didn't get Kontakt until this year and it gave me the discount.
Since then I have increased my sample library by... a lot.

(The Wavesfactory 1850 Organ is incredible, so rich and unique sounding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It should also work with ProjectSAM's Free Orchestra and Keepforest's Ferrum Free/Devastator Free. They have to pay NI for the serials so it's like a subsidized crossgrade