Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah! I hate that new Zealand gently caress! Now here's my 10 page dissertation on why i think What we do in the Shadows is degrading towards vampires and vampire enthusiasts

*shits pants*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Snyped ur asses!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That vampire cat being mad about disrespecting vampires is :discourse:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its an eddie Munster cat :smith:

He's a werewolf:smith:

Werecatwolf

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

you were suppose to fart

now we are gonna get pruned dude,!!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What if this derail was the sacred timeline:thunk:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Its an eddie Munster cat :smith:

He's a werewolf:smith:

Werecatwolf

Sounds like a Variant!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
People keep calling the Variant Lady Loki but that's absolutely Enchantress II, right? Am I crazy in thinking this?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Polaron posted:

People keep calling the Variant Lady Loki but that's absolutely Enchantress II, right? Am I crazy in thinking this?

Yes. She said "don't call me that name", not "I'm not Loki". She said "you're me" directly to Loki's face.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

My guess is that she's a combination of the two. She's certainly acting as Lady Loki conceptually, but may have an origin similar to Enchantress as some sort of duplicate or otherwise constructed being. Her crown having one horn broken off (while Loki's has both intact in the trailers) seems like a costume design element that they would include if they want to show that she's only partially Loki.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Robot Style posted:

My guess is that she's a combination of the two. She's certainly acting as Lady Loki conceptually, but may have an origin similar to Enchantress as some sort of duplicate or otherwise constructed being. Her crown having one horn broken off (while Loki's has both intact in the trailers) seems like a costume design element that they would include if they want to show that she's only partially Loki.

Isn't the horn thing something from the comics? I have seen images but I don't know the story there.

Regardless, yeah, I agree that thematically, at least, they're taking some Enchantress elements. I mean, she's blonde, for one.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Can't say I understand why the TVA is after her. Really, the true variant was the frost giant sperm that crawled up the incorrect yet chilly fallopian tube.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

XboxPants posted:

Isn't the horn thing something from the comics? I have seen images but I don't know the story there.

Regardless, yeah, I agree that thematically, at least, they're taking some Enchantress elements. I mean, she's blonde, for one.

The horn thing is from Agents of Asgard, and it doesn’t look like they took anything from that book story wise. That particulate book was the culmination of over a decade of different books with different writers, and the MCU hasn’t established any of the major point outside of Loki being genderfluid.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Edmund Lava posted:

The horn thing is from Agents of Asgard, and it doesn’t look like they took anything from that book story wise. That particulate book was the culmination of over a decade of different books with different writers, and the MCU hasn’t established any of the major point outside of Loki being genderfluid.

I wouldn't say they've really even established Loki as gender-fluid for that matter - at least not Tom Hiddleston's Loki. Has he ever even once turned into a female character even in terms of illusions/duplications? Like did Tom's Loki ever turn into Jane Foster or Natasha Romonoff or Lady Sif to screw with Thor or whatever? I don't remember such a thing happening.

We've been told that Loki is genderfluid but outside of the appearance of "Lady" Loki(whose story we have not heard for the moment) we've yet to see any real demonstration of it, at least in my opinion.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He turns into Sif in The Dark World unless I’m mistaken.

EDIT: No, he turns Thor into Sif. My mistake.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

XboxPants posted:

Also she's enchanting people, which isn't really anything we've seen Loki do without the staff that I can recall. And Loki says at one point "I wouldn't treat me like this".

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The Enchantress is controlling all the Loki variants, who were secretly working together to unseat the true time keepers, Mephisto wearing Loki's Fine Asgardian Leather

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Everyone posted:

I wouldn't say they've really even established Loki as gender-fluid for that matter - at least not Tom Hiddleston's Loki. Has he ever even once turned into a female character even in terms of illusions/duplications? Like did Tom's Loki ever turn into Jane Foster or Natasha Romonoff or Lady Sif to screw with Thor or whatever? I don't remember such a thing happening.

We've been told that Loki is genderfluid but outside of the appearance of "Lady" Loki(whose story we have not heard for the moment) we've yet to see any real demonstration of it, at least in my opinion.

That’s a fair assessment, I almost didn’t include it for that reason. Mostly just because his paperwork in the trailer says he is, but of course you have to be the type,who would pause and zoom in on it to catch that.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Can you imagine not having seen FATWS, and this is your introduction the new status quo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_M56nIzX5A

Also, props to the costume department for getting Anthony Mackie into a "off-season" version of that outfit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
My twist prediction is vanilla is that I am not going to bother spoiler tagging it. There never was an ancient time war. The Time-Keepers are actually from the far future and are actually editing the timeline moving backwards to give themselves a desirable present relevant to themselves. The “sacred timeline” actually hasn’t happened yet, and that’s how the writers will get out of negating the free-will of the MCU for the past 10+ years.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

If the Kang theories are correct I could see that happening. It’s pretty much his whole deal. If Kang isn’t involved then I don’t see them having two identical villains running around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of paperwork, apparently there's some offhanded mention of a Sylvie Laufeydottir in one of the reports, so make of that what you will.

Presumably that's the name she goes by so they don't have to call her 'Lady Loki' in-universe. Or she's Loki's sister and the variant's going to turn out to be Richard E. Grant as Old Loki. Or all three of them are Loki!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of paperwork, apparently there's some offhanded mention of a Sylvie Laufeydottir in one of the reports, so make of that what you will.

Presumably that's the name she goes by so they don't have to call her 'Lady Loki' in-universe. Or she's Loki's sister and the variant's going to turn out to be Richard E. Grant as Old Loki. Or all three of them are Loki!

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sylvie_Lushton_(Earth-616)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

My twist prediction is vanilla is that I am not going to bother spoiler tagging it. There never was an ancient time war. The Time-Keepers are actually from the far future and are actually editing the timeline moving backwards to give themselves a desirable present relevant to themselves. The “sacred timeline” actually hasn’t happened yet, and that’s how the writers will get out of negating the free-will of the MCU for the past 10+ years.

It's possible but right now that theory seems to be contradicted by everything else we've been told. That was the whole point of the 3-5 minutes worth of exposition in Endgame on the topic of Back to the Future is a bunch of a bullshit.

As far as the Sacred Timeline goes, everyone in it had their normal free will. They made the decisions that they made. Now that I think about it, I think I know the "Sacred Timeline" version of the moment of Loki's escape: Loki is watching what he can recognize as some kind of "Time Heist" by the Avengers going down. Stark grabs the case but is knocked away by Hulk leaving the stairs. The case flies open, the Tesseract tumbles out to stop at Loki's feet...

...and Loki kicks it back toward the 2012 Avengers instead of grabbing it.

Why? Several possibilities.

Loki knows he's going to be taken to Asgard as a prisoner. But... that's good. He knows Asgard. He knows Asgardians. He knows how to manipulate his family and people. He knows that eventually they'll need him (or he'll be able to convince them that they need him) because gently caress knows they can't figure poo poo out for themselves. So they'll let him loose again and he'll get another chance. Meanwhile, if Thanos and co. feel like trying to make him "long for something as sweet as pain" they can try their luck against the might of Odin, Thor and the rest of Asgard.

Which brings up the idea that it might not be the best play to peace out on his ownsome with the thingie that Thanos wants. Because now that he's been away from the staff a little bit, it might occur to Loki that "Y'know I was maybe acting out of character in ways likely to get my rear end killed. I bet that was deliberate on Thanos's part.

Also, Loki doesn't know what the deal is with Time-heisting Tony Stark. By foiling their attempted theft here on Earth, Loki might figure that he'd be setting in motion a plot to nab the thing from Asgard. And since Loki would be on Asgard when that happened, he might well be able to turn that to his advantage again.

Except that the Loki in this show got a wild hair up his rear end, grabbed the Cube and peaced-out anyway.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yeah! I hate that new Zealand gently caress! Now here's my 10 page dissertation on why i think What we do in the Shadows is degrading towards vampires and vampire enthusiasts

*shits pants*

Wait - that's it?

Waititi wasn't sufficiently respectful to sparkle vampires? L O and may I be very clear here L.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

thrawn527 posted:

So question. If the Avengers were supposed to go back in time, but Loki was not supposed to grab the tessaract, and the TVA pruned that timeline, wouldn’t that undo Cap and Tony going back to the 70's to get the tesseract? They went back because Loki took it, but if the timeline is pruned, wouldn’t they not have gone back?

This is specifically about going to the 70's, not any other time heist shenanigans.

Real quick. I haven’t been able to contribute yet and, even though others have responded, I just wanted to lay out the explanation for this. Think of the “Sacred Timeline” from the perspective of the 2012 Avengers.

1) 2012 Tony, Thor, and Loki go to the lobby where SHIELD tries to take the Tesseract

2) Endgame Tony and Lang move in to intercept the Tesseract

3) Endgame Tony grabs it, only to have it knocked out his hands by Hulk crashing through the stairwell door

4) Tesseract get thrown back to 2012 Tony, Thor, and Loki

5) Thor takes Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard

6) Endgame Tony and Steve go back to the 70’s to get the Tesseract

This is how things were supposed to go in the “Sacred Timeline”. Loki hosed everything up between points 4 and 5 when he picked up the Tesseract and zipped to Mongolia. If he had just left it alone, the TVA wouldn’t have had to intervene.

Also, regarding apocalypse events, the events have to meet certain criteria, no survivors (as in “no witnesses”), natural (happens suddenly and without warning), and where destruction is complete. Everybody was going to die in that Alabama store, so nobody was going to talk about that weird lady setting up all of this weird tech (no survivors or witnesses). But for Asgard’s destruction or Thanos’ snap, there are witnesses hanging around afterward and the destruction wasn’t complete, so Lady Loki’s presence would cause a nexus event.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

If one of the timekeepers is Kang, the other two will also be Kang.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

fractalairduct posted:

If one of the timekeepers is Kang, the other two will also be Kang.

Like... a council?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah I know about her, but looking at the actual paperwork it also IDs Sylvie as 'Frost Giant (Asgardian)' which suggests that name is just a reference unless the TVA misfiled her.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Red posted:

Like... a council?

Probably more theater than council. It's probably all one Kang posing as three so people think there's not one single crazy time lizard, but a wise council that spends infinities in deliberation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Organic Lube User posted:

Probably more theater than council. It's probably all one Kang posing as three so people think there's not one single crazy time lizard, but a wise council that spends infinities in deliberation.

The Council of Kangs was a thing in the comics.

I'm pretty sure they got in a fight with Immortus, the '616' Kang, or both.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Council of Kangs was a thing in the comics.

I'm pretty sure they got in a fight with Immortus, the '616' Kang, or both.

Bickering sounds like what you get with a council made up of versions of yourself from different timelines, but if your 'council' is really just you, and then 5 minutes of you from the future, and another 5 minutes of you from the past (or far future - take your pick), you probably don't have the same issues.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

volts5000 posted:

Real quick. I haven’t been able to contribute yet and, even though others have responded, I just wanted to lay out the explanation for this. Think of the “Sacred Timeline” from the perspective of the 2012 Avengers.

1) 2012 Tony, Thor, and Loki go to the lobby where SHIELD tries to take the Tesseract

3) Endgame Tony grabs it, only to have it knocked out his hands by Hulk crashing through the stairwell door

This is how things were supposed to go in the “Sacred Timeline”. Loki hosed everything up between points 4 and 5 when he picked up the Tesseract and zipped to Mongolia. If he had just left it alone, the TVA wouldn’t have had to intervene.

Also, regarding apocalypse events, the events have to meet certain criteria, no survivors (as in “no witnesses”), natural (happens suddenly and without warning), and where destruction is complete. Everybody was going to die in that Alabama store, so nobody was going to talk about that weird lady setting up all of this weird tech (no survivors or witnesses). But for Asgard’s destruction or Thanos’ snap, there are witnesses hanging around afterward and the destruction wasn’t complete, so Lady Loki’s presence would cause a nexus event.

This...makes enough sense to me. Thanks!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

volts5000 posted:

Pretty much. Two things actually occurred to me here. First, Thor and Rocket could have grabbed the Tesseract from Asgard while they were getting the Aether/Reality stone. It was right there in the vault at the time. Second, during Thor: Ragnorak Loki actually did set fire to the palace when he summoned/freed Surtur to destroy Asgard.

Organic Lube User posted:

Bickering sounds like what you get with a council made up of versions of yourself from different timelines, but if your 'council' is really just you, and then 5 minutes of you from the future, and another 5 minutes of you from the past (or far future - take your pick), you probably don't have the same issues.

The TVA really is going to be the Marvel version of the Citadel of Ricks, isn't it? Actually, the Citadel of Ricks was probably inspired by or a parody of the Council of Kangs.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Everyone posted:

The TVA really is going to be the Marvel version of the Citadel of Ricks, isn't it? Actually, the Citadel of Ricks was probably inspired by or a parody of the Council of Kangs.

It's a take on the Council of Reeds, as the Reeds built an extradimensional hub for all the various rear end in a top hat versions of himself to get together in. There is only one Reed that isn't a total sociopath in all the multiverse, and it's our Reed. Because of his family.

This leaves him only kind of a sociopath. Rick Sanchez is really only a more human and relatable version of Reed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

During Alan Moore’s in on Supreme, he had the worlds where all the old versions of Supreme and his arch-nemesis Darius Dax went. So the Supremacy had Supreme as a mouse, horse, a giant Supreme, cyborg version, etc.

Great book with a lot of Golden and Silver Age Superman riffs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everyone posted:

It's possible but right now that theory seems to be contradicted by everything else we've been told. That was the whole point of the 3-5 minutes worth of exposition in Endgame on the topic of Back to the Future is a bunch of a bullshit.

As far as the Sacred Timeline goes, everyone in it had their normal free will. They made the decisions that they made. Now that I think about it, I think I know the "Sacred Timeline" version of the moment of Loki's escape: Loki is watching what he can recognize as some kind of "Time Heist" by the Avengers going down. Stark grabs the case but is knocked away by Hulk leaving the stairs. The case flies open, the Tesseract tumbles out to stop at Loki's feet...

...and Loki kicks it back toward the 2012 Avengers instead of grabbing it.

Why? Several possibilities.

Loki knows he's going to be taken to Asgard as a prisoner. But... that's good. He knows Asgard. He knows Asgardians. He knows how to manipulate his family and people. He knows that eventually they'll need him (or he'll be able to convince them that they need him) because gently caress knows they can't figure poo poo out for themselves. So they'll let him loose again and he'll get another chance. Meanwhile, if Thanos and co. feel like trying to make him "long for something as sweet as pain" they can try their luck against the might of Odin, Thor and the rest of Asgard.

Which brings up the idea that it might not be the best play to peace out on his ownsome with the thingie that Thanos wants. Because now that he's been away from the staff a little bit, it might occur to Loki that "Y'know I was maybe acting out of character in ways likely to get my rear end killed. I bet that was deliberate on Thanos's part.

Also, Loki doesn't know what the deal is with Time-heisting Tony Stark. By foiling their attempted theft here on Earth, Loki might figure that he'd be setting in motion a plot to nab the thing from Asgard. And since Loki would be on Asgard when that happened, he might well be able to turn that to his advantage again.

Except that the Loki in this show got a wild hair up his rear end, grabbed the Cube and peaced-out anyway.

I mean, he did think that the Avengers were time-heisting to stop him, so that checks out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

This is obviously part of it, even as a reverse reference, but the Rick & Morty influence on this show. Roiland and Harmon didn't invent the idea of a loner taking on a bizarre sci-fi bureaucracy either but the details feel familiar.

The Harmon influence on the MCU actually seems pretty great, with this and Loveless writing Quantumania and also McKenna writing the Spider-Man movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

More like the Council of Reed Richards from a Marvel story 10 yrs ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Timekeepers are Reed, Sue, and Johnny.

The last episode has Ben walk in, tell them to stop wasting time screwing with the Lokis, and get back to punching Doc Doom in the face.