Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Saw this over on The Modeling News, had to post it. They were previewing the latest issue of Dioramag, and it had this image of some of the best green-atlantic water I've ever seen. Superb work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Man, that looks like straight-up beer bottle glass, it's gorgeous.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Saw this over on The Modeling News, had to post it. They were previewing the latest issue of Dioramag, and it had this image of some of the best green-atlantic water I've ever seen. Superb work.

Ah, I haven't seen a "gently caress this, I'm giving up modeling and switching to gardening" post in a while. Delicious.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The Merkava is (mostly) complete! All that's left is decals and weathering with oils along with some dirt/dust effects.

Well, there is one other thing. This is the part of the post where we all question my sanity.

This is what the kit provides for the ball and chain armor. I'm supposed to snip the PE parts out, snip off all the hemispheres from the sprue, and glue them around the flat "balls". Imagining all the sanding, putty filling, more sanding this would probably entail while trying to not break the very fragile PE, I came up with a better worse idea.

I bought a cheap necklace with 1mm links, and a box of needles with the pretty bead heads that will be painted over. If I was going for a Hello Kitty theme, the colors would be a great match though. The process looks something like this: Measure the "chain" part of the PE part before cutting it away, then cut the 1mm links I need for the whole part. Ruin my side cutters and another pair of actual cutting pliers by snipping the heads off of the pins which are surprisingly tough to cut despite their size, leaving about 1-2mm of needle coming out of the bead. I use the tweezers to dredge one side of the end link in Krazy Glue before caaaaaaarefully mating it to the needle left on the bead. After I've done a full "set" like this, I repeat the dredging to super glue each ball/chain to the main PE part.

This is the end result before priming/painting. Excuse the terrible photo quality but at this point I could barely stand to look at these things even through a camera. The process is steadily becoming smoother as I progress, but it's incredibly tedious. I have suffered the spectacle of a metal link freshly dipped in CA glue defying gravity to permanently bond itself to a link on the other end of the chain too many times to trust anything Newton wrote. I am, however, very excited for how good this will look when it's finished. Even if it's isn't perfect (it won't be), I can't imagine a 3D ball on the end of a 2D chain looking right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well gently caress me, that's an aspirational image if I ever saw one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Vorenus posted:

The Merkava

nice balls

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ok I'm tired of my cheapo chinesium plastic lens magnifying light. I'm ready to throw down some money on a really good one, preferably made in Germany or Japan as all good optics are. Or if that's not really a thing, at least one with a glass lens, fuckoff bright LEDs and a solid arm.

Any recommendations?

For content, I've made progress on my Virginian 2-10-10-2. It actually runs properly now and I did a test install of DCC. Now I need to finalize how I'm going to anchor the internal components and paint it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEr65El0pVM

I apologize for the crappy cellphone shaky cam. It's hard to film and use the throttle at the same time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't know about the LED, but Aldi and Lidl regularly have decent multi-arm crocodile clip stands with a big glass lens for less than a tenner. If there's one near you that'll sort you out nicely since they're on sale around here right now.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Ok I'm tired of my cheapo chinesium plastic lens magnifying light. I'm ready to throw down some money on a really good one, preferably made in Germany or Japan as all good optics are. Or if that's not really a thing, at least one with a glass lens, fuckoff bright LEDs and a solid arm.

Any recommendations?

For content, I've made progress on my Virginian 2-10-10-2. It actually runs properly now and I did a test install of DCC. Now I need to finalize how I'm going to anchor the internal components and paint it!

I apologize for the crappy cellphone shaky cam. It's hard to film and use the throttle at the same time.

I bought a decent stereo microscope for about $400 that I use for painting cockpits and other detailed parts. Seems like a lot for one tool, but in the big picture for what we spend on modeling stuff and how useful it is, I'd say it's worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A15N33K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35BV4NHHC5J5C

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

I bought a decent stereo microscope for about $400 that I use for painting cockpits and other detailed parts. Seems like a lot for one tool, but in the big picture for what we spend on modeling stuff and how useful it is, I'd say it's worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A15N33K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35BV4NHHC5J5C

Actually I have personal experience with those microscopes from work and I completely agree with you. We have about 10 microscopes in the building we use for parts inspection. About 4 of them are refurbished high end German models that we paid $3K-$4K each for. They're fantastic, but what do you expect for that price. I then picked up one of these for a less-critical area since the German ones were too expensive and while it's obviously not made as well and the optics aren't as good it's maybe 20-30% worse, but it costs about 10-15% as much. Even in industrial use these hold up reasonably well, and replacement lenses are cheap and readily available if you scratch them. If you do super tiny work and need a good quality stereo microscope I can definitely recommend those.

I'm not really after that, I'm mostly looking for a very well made quality magnifier lamp on an articulating arm and actually since I asked this question I found what I was looking for. The German models are again too expensive, running upwards of $700. I couldn't find Japanese models though I'm sure they're out there, but they don't seem to get imported to the US. I did find one US brand who still makes their top end model in the US, O.C. White. The 6" 2x model is $400 on their website, but I found someone on ebay selling a new one for $220 which seemed like too good of a deal to pass up so I bought it. I know that's a lot of money to spend when I could get something functionally similar for $60 on amazon, but I've found when it comes to tools I'd rather spend more money on something well made which will last a long time than cheap out and replace it in a few years.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

When I was rigging my model of the Bluenose, I took to using a wearable magnifier like this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Carson-Optica...3568715&sr=8-32

It made threading fine lines through dead eyes and blocks very much easier. So did electronics tweezers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Precision-Twe...23568791&sr=8-6

I can see a microscope being useful for fine photo etch, but the model I was working on was a bit big for that kind of equipment.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you want a bit of a an upgrade to the head mounted options, I bought this pair off Amazon and it's quite nice. A full set of varying magnifiers, made of glass, integrated light, and it can hold two sets of lenses at once if you want to multiply the magnifying power.

Saying that, I think I've decided at some point that I prefer that desk mounted magnifying lamp over the head mounted options. I like being able to just pull it into the work area, and then quickly get to work. With the head mounted options, I feel like I always have to stop and reset and find the focal spot any time I move. I got this one at Lee Valley, and it does the job well.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Thank you all for the bench lamps and magnifiers. I had needed something like that for a while and just hadn't gone down the rabbit hole. Taping is a bitch when you have shadows in the way. And I ended up just resting the left side of my face on one of those flat LED lamps so my right eye would see what the Lamp sees. But I also need to magnification. I'll give a trip report on the Lee Valley light when it arrives.

On to another topic. My WIFE! is trying to find an inexpensive / not super complicated first foray into book nooks for her book shelf. She has done a number of Japanese / Chinese tiny rooms and such, but she wants to just dip her toe into this one. Are there any suppliers that would fit this bill that ships to the US?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
What the gently caress's going on here?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mtrecstore/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Money laundering or someone loving up a currency conversion, though a seller in Japan would deal in yen anyway so it's probably not that.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Midjack posted:

Money laundering or someone loving up a currency conversion, though a seller in Japan would deal in yen anyway so it's probably not that.

Apparently some of his stuff is genuinely rare, but some of it is just... not. And what the heck is that blue stuff up at the top?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Apparently some of his stuff is genuinely rare, but some of it is just... not. And what the heck is that blue stuff up at the top?

Looks like a metallic lacquer paint. If it's some now unobtainable formula I could see eight bottles going for 200 bucks.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Can anyone recommend a decent airbrush in the $60-80 range? Just the airbrush itself I already have a compressor. Preferably with like a .4 or .5 needle. I only do car models and it's mostly for acrylic paints but I've been dabbling in alclad lacquers lately.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Charliegrs posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent airbrush in the $60-80 range? Just the airbrush itself I already have a compressor. Preferably with like a .4 or .5 needle. I only do car models and it's mostly for acrylic paints but I've been dabbling in alclad lacquers lately.

I've got a Paasche VL that's been a workhorse for years. I got the kit with the 3 needles and I just leave the big one in all the time. I'm pretty sure you can pick that kit up for the top end of your range and I've been super happy with mine.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you're in the US, Amazon has Badger Patriot 105s for $76. Solid versatile brush, often called the AK47 of airbrushes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I learned today is the 50th anniversary of release of the Tamiya Panzer II. Gonna get to work on one of those, now that I'm done with this thing.

Meng's 1/48th Mustang. This is a weird kit. It's a snap kit, mostly, but there's definitely places that need glue. The engineering covers up a multitude of compromises that you find in big feature panels on a Mustang, but you also get a huge seam line right down the middle of the canopy. Detail's great, except where it's extraneous, like over the wing surfaces.

I'm getting increasingly convinced I need to buy a plotter to cut my own custom masks. The decals are thick as hell, and it didn't help that I cut up the lettering and numbering to make a fictional plane. Really, a lot of this was making work for myself that I didn't need to.

I got a really smooth finish on my gloss coat for the most part! The trick is luck and sanding and wet spraying.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

I learned today is the 50th anniversary of release of the Tamiya Panzer II. Gonna get to work on one of those, now that I'm done with this thing.

Love it! I'm a big fan of non-traditional paint schemes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Out of curiosity, are those all-in-one style handheld compressor/airbrushes actually useable or are they mostly just a gimmick?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Any recommendations?

Goonhammer had an article on good lamps a bit ago: https://www.goonhammer.com/your-desk-sucks-making-a-better-workspace/

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 18, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

RillAkBea posted:

Out of curiosity, are those all-in-one style handheld compressor/airbrushes actually useable or are they mostly just a gimmick?

Do you have any example of that? I've never heard of these before.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I would assume it's something along the lines of this: https://spraygunner.com/black-cordless-airbrush-compressor-kit-with-0-3mm-airbrush/ where it's a tiny bottle compressor with a battery. It looks awful to actually use, since you've got to hold the whole apparatus with your spraying hand.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I saw a youtube review of them. Final verdict was they are an ok alternative to a rattlecan for priming and basecoating but really they're not much cheaper than a knock-off chinese airbrush kit which is just as good and can easily be upgraded down the road.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Wouldn't the built-in compressor make the whole thing shake a little bit? Seems impossible to do any detailed work if that's the case.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I had a cheap $20 one from Amazon that I used for my first ever model. Yes it does vibrate when on, and I'm far from an airbrush expert but I really don't see it being any good for intricate work. If you just want to coat things, sure I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All you need is a 4 foot hose that you can insert into "natures compressor".

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All you need is a 4 foot hose that you can insert into "natures compressor".

But what if your mom is sleeping?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MrUnderbridge posted:

But what if your mom is sleeping?

You'll get moisture in the line that way.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It probably would be good if you're cosplaying being a tank factory sprayer, or one of those guys who administered the polio vaccine, though?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you have any example of that? I've never heard of these before.
Sorry I probably should have added a picture.

grassy gnoll posted:

I would assume it's something along the lines of this: https://spraygunner.com/black-cordless-airbrush-compressor-kit-with-0-3mm-airbrush/ where it's a tiny bottle compressor with a battery. It looks awful to actually use, since you've got to hold the whole apparatus with your spraying hand.
Pretty much exactly this but some of the Japanese YouTube modelers have started to put their name on some of them which is why I wondered if there was anything in it.

Bucnasti posted:

I saw a youtube review of them. Final verdict was they are an ok alternative to a rattlecan for priming and basecoating but really they're not much cheaper than a knock-off chinese airbrush kit which is just as good and can easily be upgraded down the road.

Vorenus posted:

I had a cheap $20 one from Amazon that I used for my first ever model. Yes it does vibrate when on, and I'm far from an airbrush expert but I really don't see it being any good for intricate work. If you just want to coat things, sure I guess.
Fair enough, it is tempting to have a small all-in-one solution but I guess it's mostly a gimmick in that way.

Schadenboner posted:

It probably would be good if you're cosplaying being a tank factory sprayer, or one of those guys who administered the polio vaccine, though?
Oooh not a bad idea, and if you're painting late-war German tanks the vibrating can simulate your shaking hands as you try your hardest not to think about the Russian hordes rapidly closing in on you. :v:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Good timing, just got a Micro Mark catalog in the mail. Average price for those portable airbrushes is 35-60, MM is pricing at $100. Do they provide a level of product quality that justifies their prices, or do they generally charge hilariously high prices for things because haha modeling supply haha?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 21, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vorenus posted:

Good timing, just got a Micro Mark catalog in the mail. Average price for those portable airbrushes is 35-60, MM is pricing at $100. Do they provide a level of product quality that justifies their prices, or do they generally charge hilariously high prices for things because haha modeling supply haha?

It's the second thing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have an all in one airbrush it's the "No-Name" brand. Its really not as cumbersome as it looks to use and I don't really notice any shaking from it when it's on. I only use it for airbrushing acrylics on surfaces that don't need to be glass smooth because try as I might I don't get that smooth of a finish with it. But it definitely beats brushing acrylics. I'd say it's worth it for what it costs but I wouldn't do a car body with it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm feeling good about my Panzer IV. I've been trying to do a bit every other day and I've now completed the lower hull along with the wheels and tracks.

The hard tracks that came with the kit proved to be somewhat of a learning experience though. I hoped I could assemble them in parts, paint them then put them on the vehicle once they're done but for whatever reason they didn't quite reach without a bit of squeezing, but luckily the part where they don't quite fit together will be hidden by the mud guards.

All that's left is a few more clean coats on the top half, and finishing off the tools so I should be done by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Thought I was getting to the point of setting this thing on fire, but somehow now getting dangerously close to completion. Have a bunch of crimping and soldering to do, but just done my first dry-fit to make sure my final plans for wiring will actually work (they won't!).

Extremely happy that the most notable mistakes are well hidden.