Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone worried over the cargo ship price gouging happening over in China affecting unfulfilled tabletop Kickstarters?
It might not be anything, but I'm hoping that all my games that haven't gotten on a boat yet aren't going to be delayed for a year (even if fully manufactured) or outright go undelivered.

I'm also not looking forward to project creators coming to their backers asking for a second payment of shipping costs.

Yeah, Themeborne just sent out an email saying that shipping Escape the Dark Sector expansions will be more expensive and take "a lot" longer than previously projected. I've had a paranoid suspicion that the reason the pledge manager for old west Zombicide keeps getting delayed is CMON weighing if they can break even just getting everything produced since inflation has eroded the value of their initial KS pulled in.

It sure is fun living through history! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I really hate how accessibility is an afterthought on Kickstarter, and to make an eye-popping campaign like most people expect you have to largely ignore that. It's so frustrating.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I wonder if shipping delays, cost escalations and general fuckery will open the door to US based game manufacturing. It's probably still more expensive but knowing you can get the stuff you ordered in under a year might be worth it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody know anything about Mazes? I love that aesthetic but all I could find regarding gameplay was a guy remorseful that he bought the 1st edition and it was four zines (shipped) for $50

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My friend runs multiple game kickstarters every year and the shipping prices hit him really hard this year. He had to suck up a lot of additional costs, but he's a pro and has contingencies in place, I can imagine inexperienced kickstarters are going to get bit in the rear end pretty hard.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Funzo posted:

I wonder if shipping delays, cost escalations and general fuckery will open the door to US based game manufacturing. It's probably still more expensive but knowing you can get the stuff you ordered in under a year might be worth it.

When you have to pay out the nose for shipping from China I’m sure there’s got to be a good case here.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's not just the shipping cost, it's whether you get a spot at all, too, apparently. Like, they'll tell oh "oh for sure man" then just not load your stuff, and if you don't actively check, you won't know.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Triton Noir apparently had a quote of around $38k to ship their Assassins Creed game from China back when it was funding.

Now they're being told it'll be closer to $135k

poo poo's totally hosed, and I've already seen a bunch of kickstarters I'm waiting on who are being a bit non-committal on status (fair enough, it's not their fault)

A lot seem to be in the same situation where stuff is printed and just sat on a loading dock somewhere, either waiting for prices to stabilise or to actually get the drat things loaded at all.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

moths posted:

Does anybody know anything about Mazes? I love that aesthetic but all I could find regarding gameplay was a guy remorseful that he bought the 1st edition and it was four zines (shipped) for $50

Well the kickstarter described the entirety of mechanics in the polymorph system already. It's a binary results system with fixed success values for each type of roll, so the only variables are which class you are (which determines the die type you roll) and whether you roll with advantage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I guess a better question is how does that shake out in play? It seems like a clever and minimal way to resolve an RPG but I can't see how you'd get a whole book's worth of material from it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

When you have to pay out the nose for shipping from China I’m sure there’s got to be a good case here.

The biggest issue I think is that if you're not making all the components like meeples, miniatures and other wood/plastic bits in house or can find a local source, you're still ordering them from China, and you're right back to the same issues.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

moths posted:

I guess a better question is how does that shake out in play? It seems like a clever and minimal way to resolve an RPG but I can't see how you'd get a whole book's worth of material from it.

How do you get 250 pages of content from a 2 page rule system? I’ve no idea.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Funzo posted:

The biggest issue I think is that if you're not making all the components like meeples, miniatures and other wood/plastic bits in house or can find a local source, you're still ordering them from China, and you're right back to the same issues.

I think it's something like this.

I got some cost estimates for a card game I was designing a few months back, and the price of getting a Chinese company to manufacture the bits was literally 1/10 of the UK and Danish manufacturers I got quotes from. Until manufacturing costs come down, shipping from China is just the thing that you have to do -- or charge luxury big box prices for ~50 cards and a handful of meeples.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Anyone got any strong feels about Scarface 1920 Kickstarter? It's funny because I'm leery of first-time devs on... Kickstarter (the home for first-time devs theoretically) and this one being a deckbuilder meets worker placement meets area control makes me wonder if it's a bit too much of an ambitious Frankenstein. I also worry a bit about how tough the current shipping situation is going to be on people who aren't necessarily ready or informed of those challenges.

Might not even matter if the game's trash but there's not a lot of feedback on the game to start and I don't have time to dig this week. Anyone have more developed thoughts?

(and yes, they have a 48-hour exclusive that you can buy later - that's already one strike against them)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Funzo posted:

Also, right now China is where the expertise is. If international shipping remains crazy long enough it will definitely incentivize a certain amount of deglobalization of manufacturing, but it's not going to be as simple as just setting up a factory locally and rolling.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone worried over the cargo ship price gouging happening over in China affecting unfulfilled tabletop Kickstarters?
It might not be anything, but I'm hoping that all my games that haven't gotten on a boat yet aren't going to be delayed for a year (even if fully manufactured) or outright go undelivered.

I'm also not looking forward to project creators coming to their backers asking for a second payment of shipping costs.
Yep. I've massively slowed down on backing anything and I'm starting to regret spending so much on primal in the KS and not just waiting for the pm to see shipping pricing. I'm in NZ so shipping could legit end up being unpayable for me if too many things increase

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

malkav11 posted:

Also, right now China is where the expertise is. If international shipping remains crazy long enough it will definitely incentivize a certain amount of deglobalization of manufacturing, but it's not going to be as simple as just setting up a factory locally and rolling.

I have to imagine that people are at least beginning to look into the possibility of creating that infrastructure right now. I don't think it's going to be as simple as just "waiting out" the prices. It's like oil in the 70s. Now that they've seen what we'll pay, who's going to be the first shipper to drop prices? It's not like demand's going down anytime soon -- ships are going to be full for the foreseeable future.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Desfore posted:

Well, checking back in on the GameVaults project, they added a new video showing off their prototypes, so there has been some work being put in behind the scenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCReC6wu1xs

It just seems like, there's so much wasted effort going into the design of this thing. Like, the vault mechanism legitimately looks pretty cool, but I don't need all that to play a board game. And they show off the bottoms of the terrain pieces with "Hidden details" that you wouldn't see during gameplay, magnets to attach them to the board, and I just kept thinking to myself, "If you cut out all this extra poo poo, have a $50~100 tier with a regular board and just the player pieces, this might have been a serviceable campaign."

It's showed up in the launcher now, so let the fools and their money be parted:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Nemo2342 posted:

:vince:
I'm hoping that, at the bottom right slot, it's far away enough from the 'Play' button for people to not notice, but... It really has Blizzard's approval.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nemo2342 posted:

I didn't think this would actually be real but lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm looking at the launcher right now and it isn't there.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's there for me, just under the current WoW tab, but not the classic WoW one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sirtommygunn posted:

It's there for me, just under the current WoW tab, but not the classic WoW one.

That's where I'm looking. I have the three news items before it, but not that one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

That's where I'm looking. I have the three news items before it, but not that one.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm still using the Beta version of the launcher. I've closed and reopened it and it's still there, so I am not sure why you're not seeing it.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm really hoping shipping normalizes in a few months. It's a major problem for Kickstarters that are delivering soon, but hopefully ones launching soon are unaffected, or minimally affected.

Sorry, but the closer we get to Christmas, the worse it's going to get

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

I have to imagine that people are at least beginning to look into the possibility of creating that infrastructure right now.
There's a great youtube channel (that I can't find right now) where a guy goes around doing factory tours in China, including tours of these massive markets where you can buy any parts needed for any type of factory setup. It really opened my eyes to just how unrealistic it would be to hope that type of manufacturing will come back to North America. Especially for board games, where it looks like so much effort in production is manual labour.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

All I can say about an American produced boardgame is that the quality of the Stardew Valley components is pretty mediocre, bordering on unacceptable.

Super thin pieces and cards, token alignment was so bad I had to ask for replacements twice, flimsy board, some tokens printed one way, some the other (direction of punching), etc…

Edit: I am getting nervous about all the games I have in the “pledged, but in the manufacturing stage or earlier” phase. That’s quite a chunk of change just up in the air right now.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 19, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Anyone got any strong feels about Scarface 1920 Kickstarter?

I don't have any opinions on it, but I can offer you an alternative project if you like the mobster theme (Which I again don't have an opinion on)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244279178/mob-big-apple

Another first time KS, but all I will say it seems like it had a much more well defined scope

Nemo2342 posted:

This is hilarious, and speaks volumes to the quality control of current Blizzard if garbage like this is getting promoted.
Like man I have an idea for a WoW related game, and I should just shoot my shot if poo poo like this is getting through.

To their credit the rising board mechanism is an amazing concept and there has obviously been a lot of thought and engineering put into it.
Everything else about it is loving terrible.

Like I am the person they are trying to appeal to, and I went out and bought Small World of Warcraft last year primarily because it was WoW themed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzur_XeMBQ

I wouldn't touch the Gamevault KS with a barge pole even if I did live in the US. $500usd for the base game? $650usd for the deluxe version that is all black?
Fuckin :laffo: and tell your story walkin.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

I wouldn't touch the Gamevault KS with a barge pole even if I did live in the US. $500usd for the base game? $650usd for the deluxe version that is all black?
Fuckin :laffo: and tell your story walkin.

Like, just to put it into context, you could get every piece of content ever made for Too Many Bones (so excluding the storage Trove chest) for about $480 brand new from their website. That's a game I consider to be sort of the epitome of unnecessarily luxurious components that still has a good game underneath, and even then, I wouldn't suggest going for every single scrap of content -- like this includes every expansion character, the expansion that is primarily for long campaign mode, all of it -- unless you were absolutely in love with the game. And I'd suggest to only get some of the expansion characters after you had played the others to death. But you could do it, get everything, for cheaper than the most basic edition of this Gamevault tafl thing.

Even loving Kingdom Death Monster's new reprint was only $350

On the more sane side, it looks like basically no one is backing the Gamevault thing -- it's got a whopping 25 backers and $15k out of 500k right now.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
it's called Level 43 because when you see it you'll turn 43 degrees and walk away

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

This is hilarious, and speaks volumes to the quality control of current Blizzard if garbage like this is getting promoted.
Like man I have an idea for a WoW related game, and I should just shoot my shot if poo poo like this is getting through.

I don't know what it's like these days but when I worked there being in licensed products was a huge pain in the rear end. We were constantly told that everything we released had to be "Epic Blizzard Quality" but at the same time we were regularly saddled with partners who didn't give a poo poo and were just trying to latch onto the brand for a quick buck.
For every Sideshow Collectibles, McFarlane toys or Jinx Apparel there was a Ruby's Halloween Costumes, Northwest Apparel or Figure Prints.
The game teams gave no support because "an artist spent 6 hours making a sparkle pony and it netted us 27 million dollars yesterday, why should we devote resources to your project that only makes one million a year?" but suddenly got all uppity when we released something cool that got too much attention.

I still suspect this gamevault thing is some vanity project, but they're about 12 years too late for the days of people lining up to buy anything with the WoW logo on it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

I don't know what it's like these days but when I worked there being in licensed products was a huge pain in the rear end. We were constantly told that everything we released had to be "Epic Blizzard Quality" but at the same time we were regularly saddled with partners who didn't give a poo poo and were just trying to latch onto the brand for a quick buck.
For every Sideshow Collectibles, McFarlane toys or Jinx Apparel there was a Ruby's Halloween Costumes, Northwest Apparel or Figure Prints.
The game teams gave no support because "an artist spent 6 hours making a sparkle pony and it netted us 27 million dollars yesterday, why should we devote resources to your project that only makes one million a year?" but suddenly got all uppity when we released something cool that got too much attention.

I still suspect this gamevault thing is some vanity project, but they're about 12 years too late for the days of people lining up to buy anything with the WoW logo on it.

I wonder if there's a weird nepotism/know-a-guy angle given that the ostensible creators of this are 40 minutes from Irvine, going off their airplane hangar address.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bucnasti posted:

People still buy the horrible budget statues, but it does seem like this board game may be a bridge too far. They did get a small bump today (if you call a new high of 21 daily backers a bump), presumably from it showing up in the launcher, but it's going to take a much bigger push or some ringers to get this turkey funded.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The Heckin Hounds KS trailer is now on YouTube so I can embed it here! We launch on Tuesday the 22nd and I'm super excited. The last pieces are starting to come together. Nothing like the last minute rush. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTIainkJ4E

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Gamevault© posted:

First, we removed all connecting lines from the 5x5 intersecting grid. Even though the game played the same, you had to pause and really pay attention. Try playing chess on a board without colors – just a grid – easier said than done. Next, we stretched and distorted that hidden grid, placing the game spaces on an uneven landscape, each at different elevations. Visually, this created a new dimension of complexity, while adding a considerable amount of time to the gameplay itself.
Finally, we placed architectural elements on that uneven landscape, completely obscuring the line of sight, not only of the opponent’s game pieces, but of your own.
They're just so proud that they have made it so difficult to even know where your pieces are or where they can move. How do they think that having to fight to understand the game state is good game play?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I wonder if there's a weird nepotism/know-a-guy angle given that the ostensible creators of this are 40 minutes from Irvine, going off their airplane hangar address.

That’s what I mean by vanity project; “My brother-in-law has this great idea for a game, we’re going to give his company, that I own a stake in, the license so he can make it.”

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There seems to be very little thought towards the actual game-design parts of the game though.
My bet is that the nepotism guy is a tinkerer/maker-type nerd who started off by designing the mechanism for the folding box + gameboard and then needed a game to use it for. (Hell, they even say the box is patented in that recent video!)
Plus who else would have 10 3d printers just sitting around in their garage?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Captain Theron posted:

They're just so proud that they have made it so difficult to even know where your pieces are or where they can move. How do they think that having to fight to understand the game state is good game play?

They're encouraging people to gently caress up the rules by making game state incomprehensible? At least it won't be some kind of competitive where angle shooting and whatever will be all over the place.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Like, just to put it into context, you could get every piece of content ever made for Too Many Bones (so excluding the storage Trove chest) for about $480 brand new from their website. That's a game I consider to be sort of the epitome of unnecessarily luxurious components that still has a good game underneath, and even then, I wouldn't suggest going for every single scrap of content -- like this includes every expansion character, the expansion that is primarily for long campaign mode, all of it -- unless you were absolutely in love with the game. And I'd suggest to only get some of the expansion characters after you had played the others to death. But you could do it, get everything, for cheaper than the most basic edition of this Gamevault tafl thing.

Even loving Kingdom Death Monster's new reprint was only $350

On the more sane side, it looks like basically no one is backing the Gamevault thing -- it's got a whopping 25 backers and $15k out of 500k right now.

You can get the Darkest Dungeon game, its expansions, and all of the bonus crap in the project manager for about that much.

No clue if the game will be any good, but theres like 230~ minis in the thing and they look fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Urgh my Don't Get Got - Shut Up & Sit Down Special Edition arrived today and it looks like some fuckwit in customs has had a field day.

That crack pushes into the box, and the seal is broken.

Front is smushed in and dented to hell.

:negative:

Jumped on the KS page and a bunch of people are complaining about broken seals and damaged boxes. Not great. :(
Suppose I'll have to email them and find out what they can do. Boo urns.

Like after the elegance that was the Mini Express packaging, this is a kick in the dick.

Bucnasti posted:

I think you're spot on. It's literally just a bunch of random poo poo on a board, with old faction leaders, just to cover up a very nice engineering item.
"Well I have to use these 3D printers for SOMETHING!"

StarkRavingMad posted:

Like, just to put it into context, you could get every piece of content ever made for Too Many Bones (so excluding the storage Trove chest) for about $480 brand new from their website.

I wish I knew someone who had a copy so I could demo it. It looks like a lot of fun, but because it's an import only item I've always been hesitant on pulling the trigger.

Frozen Peach posted:

The Heckin Hounds KS trailer is now on YouTube so I can embed it here! We launch on Tuesday the 22nd and I'm super excited. The last pieces are starting to come together. Nothing like the last minute rush. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTIainkJ4E

:hellyeah: