Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Alan Smithee posted:

Kelvin or gtfo

1 weird trick to drive engineers insane: [joules/slug*Rankine] units for specific heat capacity. boomers hate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

eSports Chaebol posted:

the original premise for the matrix was going to be that the machines kept humans around for their spare brainpower which was more efficient than silicon, which makes more sense but wasnt a cool a movie gimmick

what im saying is that im a little shocked we dont yet have a movie where people are trapped in a simulation as slaves to steal their brains' hashing power

maybe even the big reveal can be that people irl are sane and rational even in large groups and everyone in this world is such a god damned idiot because most of our brainpower is mining buttcoins

The Matrix trilogy: ends on a upsell for an MMORPG

New Matrix sequels: ends with the Matrix learning that mining with humans is wrong and gaming with them is preferable

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Scientists are teaching drones to hunt down human screams.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Man, what a headline.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Fraunhofer invented MP3s and also audio tracking for hunter-killer robots so it's impossible to say if they're good or bad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Countdown until we learn that the AI is rewarded for human screams without regard for whether it had a hand in producing them.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:staredog:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eSports Chaebol posted:

the original premise for the matrix was going to be that the machines kept humans around for their spare brainpower which was more efficient than silicon, which makes more sense but wasnt a cool a movie gimmick

what im saying is that im a little shocked we dont yet have a movie where people are trapped in a simulation as slaves to steal their brains' hashing power

maybe even the big reveal can be that people irl are sane and rational even in large groups and everyone in this world is such a god damned idiot because most of our brainpower is mining buttcoins

Problem with this is you're gonna get the uh friends of rogan all riled up and that is a susceptible bunch of idiots

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are you insane? 25 is much too warm. Room temperature is 20.

https://www.nist.gov/pml/weights-and-measures/si-units-temperature

No I meant it is the standard scientific "room temperature". I.e. 1 mL of water is 1 cm3 at that temperature

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Malak posted:

EVER SINCE IT learned about collateral damage, Azrael can’t help noticing its correlation with certain sounds. The sounds biothermals make, for example, following a strike.
The sounds are louder, for one thing, and less complex. Most biothermals – friendly Greens back in Heaven, unengaged Hostiles and Noncombatants throughout the AOR – produce a range of sounds with a mean frequency of 197Hz, full of pauses, clicks, and phonemes. Engaged biothermals – at least, those whose somatic movements suggest “mild-to-moderate incapacitation” according
to the Threat Assessment Table – emit simpler, more intense sounds: keening, high-frequency wails that peak near 3000 Hz. These sounds tend to occur during engagements with significant collateral damage and a diffuse distribution of targets. They occur especially frequently when the commit threshold has been severely violated, mainly during strikes compelled via override.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/CursedModernism/status/1406000812514496522

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/alanrmacleod/status/1405520524965335042?s=21

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

It’s nice not having to get out of bed to adjust the thermostat but I hope that I kept my old dumb thermostats around somewhere…just in case

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Broke: smart thermostats will help us reduce demand for peaker plants and power spikes, protecting the grid and saving you money and are good
Woke: smart thermostats will help corporations spy on your habits and are bad
Bespoke: smart thermostats will help one corporation spy on your habits, another corporation avoid modernizing its infrastructure, and a third corporation will pocket the savings and are :capitalism:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Turning the thermostat high in a heatwave will be the rolling coal of houses

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i want more life, fucker

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Finally something that fits the thread title

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

exmachina posted:

No I meant it is the standard scientific "room temperature". I.e. 1 mL of water is 1 cm3 at that temperature

Nah that’s at four Celsius.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

People who use Celsius have a pathological compuslion to round to the nearest five degrees.

Fahrenheit enjoyers are happy to tell you about how seventy‐two degrees is too warm and seventy is just right.

tbh that seems more compulsive to me

we arent doing chemistry here, who cares if its 70 or 72

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

withak posted:

Countdown until we learn that the AI is rewarded for human screams without regard for whether it had a hand in producing them.

You do not need to wait, just take a shot now since there is no chance in hell it isn't how it was built.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Turning the thermostat high in a heatwave will be the rolling coal of houses

The noisy rear end sulfur polluting and inefficient diesel standby generators that all the rich people that own the trucks are going to buy kicking on in the evening so that they can safely set the thermostat to 60F during the rolling brownouts while the neighborhood fills with the sound of chugging engines and the stink of diesel fumes waft in for anyone downwind who didn't have the money and is forced to keep their windows open or cook to death, that's rolling coal

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Carthag Tuek posted:

we arent doing chemistry here, who cares if its 70 or 72

Humans are literally nothing but chemistry, like if you're existing you're doing chemistry.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i just read the harper's bazaar tiktok article and then opened tiktok for the first time in my life, only to be immediately presented with this

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

perepelki posted:

i just read the harper's bazaar tiktok article and then opened tiktok for the first time in my life, only to be immediately presented with this

The system works.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

perepelki posted:

lol that was pretty good tho

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

perepelki posted:

looks good thanks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

perepelki posted:

this link is wild

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Crow Buddy posted:

You do not need to wait, just take a shot now since there is no chance in hell it isn't how it was built.

This tech is going to get used 1 time to find people after an earthquake and 1000 times to finish off survivors of a bombing and that 1 time it was helpful will be the focus of a billion loving techno-optimist articles.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

perepelki posted:

How many search terms did you have to try

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but seriously can you post a link that works? ive tried it in 3 browsers now and they all say nope + i tried curl, wget, and ytdl

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
1 ml is 1 cm³ at every temperature

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Carthag Tuek posted:

but seriously can you post a link that works? ive tried it in 3 browsers now and they all say nope + i tried curl, wget, and ytdl

Put down the terminal window dude

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Carthag Tuek posted:

i dunno if your for real but the link already expired cause they linked direct

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Carthag Tuek posted:

Hope you get this poo poo figured out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bulgakov posted:

i dunno if your for real but the link already expired cause they linked direct

lol thank god

everybody delete my posts/quotes after the one where i say "this is wild" and we can pretend i was ironic

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

grate deceiver posted:

How many search terms did you have to try
it was literally the second video on the homepage

the algorithm really gets me

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Delta-Wye posted:

two words

detachable penis

Now you've said it

I'll give it ten, no, five years tops before someone is shot by a robot penis set up to work like those squids who shoot their dick at each other, then slink off to die

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thanks for this--I googled the quote and read the short story it's from. Great stuff

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If u haven't read all of peter watts stop posting itt and go read

Dude's 100% a goon too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tokin opposition posted:

If u haven't read all of peter watts stop posting itt and go read

Dude's 100% a goon too

he would be a good mascot for this thread.