Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dragon Ball Abridged does have a lot of jokes that are depending on you having watched the dubs back in the day, but then again not too many. Oddly enough it also has some added bits that aren't even necessarily funny but do stretch over a lot of plot holes and tie into Dragon Ball better than the original series did. (mostly the Dr Gero stuff, which also incorporates some bits where Toriyama was like 'oh, I forgot to tell you this part')

The Tournament of Power does go on a while, but I enjoyed it. Does help with the whole thing that by the end, all the characters involved are obviously exhausted and fighting to their very last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dragonball is bad. Dont watch it instead

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh and I completely forgot about Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. Could always just play that game instead.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tsob posted:

I must be a teen I suppose, because none of the cursing stood out to me. It rarely does. Deadwood is the only show I've ever seen where the cursing sounded off to me. Not because it sounded immature or anything; it just sounded like the cadence was wrong, and the characters were inserting swears into odd parts of the sentence rather than the places I'd expect.

lol Warren Ellis is on record as being a huge Deadwood fan who specifically loved the over-the-top swearing in the show

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wanderer posted:

I suppose they could do the thing where some newjack vampire is just using Dracula's name for the sake of building street cred.

Meanwhile Dracula's been chilling in rural England for three hundred years writing his thinly veiled autobiography, which he plans to publish as fiction under the name "Bram Stoker."

That's almost but not quite the plot to Portrait of Ruin.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dragonball is just a very different flavor of shounen action than DBZ is.

It's campy childish fun because that's the level of adventure anyone is on in it. The stakes are generally very low and mostly it's just about Goku's personal growth into an almost human (I tell you h'what that boy ain't right). DBZ expands the scope of the story and makes it a much more serious story (comparatively i mean its still silly people fighting because).

I like both, but I think Dragonball is harder as an adult to enjoy unless you just appreciate the property and can put yourself back into a more childish state to enjoy it since it's full of dumb humor. DBZ is a story with stakes and DB kinda struggles to make the stakes seem like they are as big as I think you're expected to believe they are.

Yeah don't watch GT tho and Super is just kinda more if you're into it.

I am glad there will be more Castlevania on Netflix hooray.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
I wonder if they'll do Ninja Gaiden next?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
A gritty Frogger anime that deals with climate change issues.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All I ask is when they get to Symphony they include that silly gag where Maria, when asking of Richter thinks (as in thought bubble) of him whilst Alucard thinks of Trevor, nes sprite and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robobot posted:

Game Theory has a genuinely well backed up case that Frogger is set in Australia.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Game Theory can suck my balls, he was wrong about Hollow Knight

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Dragonball is just a very different flavor of shounen action than DBZ is.

It's campy childish fun because that's the level of adventure anyone is on in it. The stakes are generally very low and mostly it's just about Goku's personal growth into an almost human (I tell you h'what that boy ain't right). DBZ expands the scope of the story and makes it a much more serious story (comparatively i mean its still silly people fighting because).

I like both, but I think Dragonball is harder as an adult to enjoy unless you just appreciate the property and can put yourself back into a more childish state to enjoy it since it's full of dumb humor. DBZ is a story with stakes and DB kinda struggles to make the stakes seem like they are as big as I think you're expected to believe they are.

Yeah don't watch GT tho and Super is just kinda more if you're into it.

I am glad there will be more Castlevania on Netflix hooray.

DB is fun though and DBZ is stodgy. Also DBZ Kai speeds things up, which is good, but also throws out the fun one off episodes like goku learns to drive, which are the only reprieve from the grind. Related I don't think you ever see gokus penis in DBZ which is a major shame

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if they'll do Ninja Gaiden next?
I've been wanting to see an adaptation of Ninja Gaiden for so long that I came within spitting distance of filming it myself with my friends on a VHS camcorder in the early 90s.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LividLiquid posted:

I've been wanting to see an adaptation of Ninja Gaiden for so long that I came within spitting distance of filming it myself with my friends on a VHS camcorder in the early 90s.

I'd love something that expands on the original game (which had a shocking amount of story for a side-scrolling platformer from 1988) but I know they'd just do the later Xbox games.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Yeah, not sure about the plot of the later games but the first Ninja Gaiden had a great story. Avenging your father while trying to find two pieces of a mysterious artifact.

A lot of other games were open ended enough to kludge in any plot they wanted. Spy Hunter was just a cool car in one long chase. Oh man, could you imagine an Adaptation done by the studio that did Redline?

Contra is another one that could have a lot of potential.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, not sure about the plot of the later games but the first Ninja Gaiden had a great story. Avenging your father while trying to find two pieces of a mysterious artifact.

A lot of other games were open ended enough to kludge in any plot they wanted. Spy Hunter was just a cool car in one long chase. Oh man, could you imagine an Adaptation done by the studio that did Redline?

You should check out the podcast Story Break. It's three Hollywood writers that come up with movie scripts in an hour based on adapting different IPs, and they've done a lot of video game series. I know that premise sounds really hit-or-miss, but I'll vouch for the hosts; they're great writers and really funny when they get going.

Come to think of it, I don't believe they've done a Castlevania one, but I'd say it already has a successful adaptation now and they tend to avoid ones that already have good adaptations because what's the point

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

I dunno if you've seen Animals Of Farthing Wood but it's legit actually this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno if you've seen Animals Of Farthing Wood but it's legit actually this.

Oh man, that loving highway episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Panfilo posted:

I mean, if the studio that did Redline made another film it'd be at least five years before it'd be done. If it was a TV show? It'd probably be closer to a few decades. It'd be loving gorgeous when it was done, but Redline took a while. Also, if someone did the later Ninja Gaiden titles as an anime they'd basically be making a backdoor pilot for a Dead or Alive anime, since Ryu, Rachel and Momiji are all fixtures of Dead or Alive at this point, while Kasumi and Ayane have shown up in Ninja Gaiden so the two are fairly intertwined as properties nowadays. I haven't even played any of the earlier titles honestly, but I am looking forward to getting the collection at some point soon since I vaguely remember enjoying them as shlocky action games.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 18, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
I know the Redline people did one of the animatrix shorts but don't know how long it took them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Panfilo posted:

Contra would be great because similar to Castlevania the setting is expansive enough to offer a lot of latitude and the story is pretty thin from what I recall, so they can hit the high points that fans want to see but otherwise have fairly free reign.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The recent announcement of Metroid: Dread has me pondering how great a Metroid series could be, but the problem with Metroid as a property is that Samus is basically the only character anyone gives a poo poo about. Ripley doesn't have much character beyond being an antagonist, and then you get to Adam and after Other M I think most people would prefer you not to get to him at all. Nintendo's E3 Treehouse literally had to pause the game during the playthroughs when Samus arrived at a scene with the game's Adam and go "don't worry, he's just your ships AI and he doesn't actually give you instructions or directions; he's just there to give you lore". There probably are other minor characters that could be expanded, but any animation would be doing a lot of heavy lifting to expand the characters. Which is a pity, because Metroid as a setting is great, Samus is a really interesting character and the setup allows for some great action.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Again: Samurai Jack Metroid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Contra would be great because similar to Castlevania the setting is expansive enough to offer a lot of latitude and the story is pretty thin from what I recall, so they can hit the high points that fans want to see but otherwise have fairly free reign.

Then you get to Hardcorps era where Wolfmen with Bionic Arms and tiny robots are fighting gigantic robotic Simon Belmonts while one of the original characters betrays everyone and tries to release Xenomorphs on the world.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

tsob posted:

The recent announcement of Metroid: Dread has me pondering how great a Metroid series could be, but the problem with Metroid as a property is that Samus is basically the only character anyone gives a poo poo about. Ripley doesn't have much character beyond being an antagonist, and then you get to Adam and after Other M I think most people would prefer you not to get to him at all. Nintendo's E3 Treehouse literally had to pause the game during the playthroughs when Samus arrived at a scene with the game's Adam and go "don't worry, he's just your ships AI and he doesn't actually give you instructions or directions; he's just there to give you lore". There probably are other minor characters that could be expanded, but any animation would be doing a lot of heavy lifting to expand the characters. Which is a pity, because Metroid as a setting is great, Samus is a really interesting character and the setup allows for some great action.

A Metroid movie/TV series is the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. With even less takling, side characters, and more isolation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Szmitten posted:

A Metroid movie/TV series is the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. With even less takling, side characters, and more isolation.

Yeah, I think that's the main problem with DoctorWhat's comparison to Samurai Jack; the idea that there are few recurring characters is fine, but Metroid as a setting doesn't even have a lot of defined races or groups. There's basically Humans, Chozo, Metroids, the Galactic Federation, Space Pirates and other bounty hunters. And that's really it. By comparison, Star Wars as a franchise is loving chock full of setting details of all kinds after decades of side stories across every medium expanding it. So while the concept of "it's fine if there's not many recurring characters; we'll just have Samus journey through a series of one-off adventures, groups etc" could work, whoever is making it would still need to do the heavy lifting to invent all these new groups, as well as locales for them to fill out the show. It's probably the best idea I've heard for one, and I'd love to see it, but I can also see it falling flat under the wrong people because the various locations, groups, individual stories etc. aren't all that exciting or the show isn't that stylish. Since style is what carried Samurai Jack in a lot of cases, whether that's art style, cinematography or whatever.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 20, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't help that Nintendo's been pretty vague and inconsistent with the nature of the setting. Early manuals had the Galactic Federation's representatives actually be a variety of non-human alien, but since then every single Federation representative we see is either a human or in humanoid armour. You very rarely see any friendly NPCs beyond those. (at least in Dread, the Federation are the antagonists this time around)

It's the same problem a lot of video game adaptations run into where there isn't necessarily much of a consistent world for the characters to exist in, and the developers may not be interested in creating one, so adaptations have to make poo poo up or extrapolate from very little info, and make a very small world if the license holder isn't going to let them do that.

Not all games have this problem, of course. Pokemon is easy, for various reasons.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Metroid would probably work adapted like the Witcher, with a general sort of monster of the week plot, with a background longer narrative

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sockser posted:

Metroid would probably work adapted like the Witcher, with a general sort of monster of the week plot, with a background longer narrative

Yeah, a Metroid series with Samus doing assorted jobs around the galaxy while she finds out about Metroids and chases after/runs from Ridley would work pretty well.

Then you do a crossover episode and call it Metroidvania

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Sockser posted:

Have the entire first season Samus never takes off her helmet and has a modified voice only to reveal herself at the end.

I'll admit as a kid I was shocked in a rather sexist kind of way that this spaceman that fought through all these kinds of cosmic terrors was a girl all along :stonk:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Bip Roberts posted:

DB is fun though and DBZ is stodgy. Also DBZ Kai speeds things up, which is good, but also throws out the fun one off episodes like goku learns to drive, which are the only reprieve from the grind. Related I don't think you ever see gokus penis in DBZ which is a major shame

Kai is def the way to go.

I mean little kids dicks are for jokes, grown men's dicks are just gross okay guy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Samus works very well as a Geralt kind of character: Stoic that fights really scary things and only interacts with other humanoids if they have to because they're this unapproachable badass mutant (or part Chozo in this case).

I presume you would have to introduce Adam and other humans to give you something to relate to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sockser posted:

Yeah, a 3 episode prologue on the Chozo and Samus growing up with them and learning how to use all their tech and stuff and constantly getting scarred up falling off of buildings. Space Pirates show up, Ridley kills her parents, eternal revenge declared, and then we settle into the comfy monster of the week stuff of Samus responding to distress calls/dragging in wanted aliens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And now I'm just wondering how many people will call Metroid a clear The Mandalorian knockoff. (and given I'm pretty sure Samus is based on Boba Fett complete with having the same stated job... they're not exactly wrong.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I'm just wondering how many people will call Metroid a clear The Mandalorian knockoff. (and given I'm pretty sure Samus is based on Boba Fett complete with having the same stated job... they're not exactly wrong.)

I don't think Boba Fett was the first of the concept of "space bounty hunter wearing space armor"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Boba Fett was also barely a character at all until the expanded universe really kicked into gear in the 90s. Marvel had put out some comics prior to that throughout the 80s, but I don't think Boba was ever given much depth there beyond "bounty hunter in armor" to presume the idea of him being a stoic guy who rarely spoke or anything like that was what informed Samus' character.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think Boba Fett was the first of the concept of "space bounty hunter wearing space armor"

Samus's concept and design was explicitly inspired by Boba Fett. Sakamoto didn't even know what a bounty hunter was (and thus didn't approve when Retro suggested a game where she actually hunts bounties) but called her that because he thought they were both basically wandering space ronin

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had seen the OT like 7 times before I even knew who Boba Fett even was. They name him exactly one time and it's mumbled in the middle of an action scene where he dies like a total chump.

He got big because his toy was cool, but nobody I knew had Star Wars toys in the 80s.

When I found out he was a big deal it was as alien to me as finding out You'd Better Watch Yourself Guy being a fan favorite would've been.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I had seen the OT like 7 times before I even knew who Boba Fett even was. They name him exactly one time and it's mumbled in the middle of an action scene where he dies like a total chump.

He got big because his toy was cool, but nobody I knew had Star Wars toys in the 80s.

When I found out he was a big deal it was as alien to me as finding out You'd Better Watch Yourself Guy being a fan favorite would've been.

I'm an Xer and we all had a ton of Star Wars toys. We also knew Boba Fett because he stood out in Empire due to looking "cool" and being the one guy that talked back to Vader and being in that stupid cartoon in the holiday special before that. The Boba Fett toy was the one we all wanted to play with outside of Luke variants.

Also was part of the "wow Metroid is a woman!" crowd when the 9999...KKKK...code or Justin Bailey or whatever was released since that game was too easy to get lost in to beat for me back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For the longest time, my friends and I knew the Justin Bailey code, but thought it was the "code that let you play as the girl."