Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

H110Hawk posted:

I mean if the counter shoots off the charts when they set it up its not like you should stick around. :v:

Fair enough haha. Though when I had it done 12 years ago, it was under 4 thingies/Liter, or I would have asked the seller to do something about it then. (I've since lost the report so I don't know what it was exactly.)

Also, there's only 3'-4' of the foundation underground, so that also limits how bad it can get (or at least that's my understanding).

I do know all that stuff can change over time, though.

Edit:

Cyrano4747 posted:

How does a radon test last two hours?

The last time I got one done I had to leave this little bag of charcoal in my livingroom for 48 hours or something like that and then mail it to a lab, and they got me my results in about a week.

Cursory googling isn't finding any super fast option either. Is there some special detector that a guy can come over and wave around your livingroom and get a good read?

Yeah, when I had it done, it was a 48-hour ordeal where the inspector set up some electronic box on a tripod and we weren't supposed to open/shut doors or go in/out of the house for the duration (if we could at all help it). Since I hadn't moved in yet and wasn't in a hurry, I just let it do its thing and didn't disturb it.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

How does a radon test last two hours?

The last time I got one done I had to leave this little bag of charcoal in my livingroom for 48 hours or something like that and then mail it to a lab, and they got me my results in about a week.

Cursory googling isn't finding any super fast option either. Is there some special detector that a guy can come over and wave around your livingroom and get a good read?

The radon test for our house involved a guy placing a sensor thing in the basement on a tripod and leaving it there for 24 hours or so to log the radon levels. We then got the log and a chart showing the levels over time (which were nice and low so we didn't have to deal with mitigation).

e: f;b

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This radon inspector happened to have their pet canary with them and it died, rip

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe the "Radon inspector" was actually the buyer scoping it out

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Maybe the "Radon inspector" was actually the buyer scoping it out

This seems just galaxy-brain enough for someone to actually try it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Every radon test standard i've seen is 48 hours minimum to be trustworthy. I have a continuous monitor for my house and levels can jump from <.3 (wherever units radon is measured in) to 2 hour by hour depending on weather conditions.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
pico-curies/L (pCi/L)

Just a little dab will do yah. Per liter.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Question, if that inspection report possibly has something that has spooked the buyer, does OP want to stop asking for a copy of it? Sure of course they'd be curious, but regardless what it says they're still going to be wanting to sell. Having to disclose something based on new information that spooked at least one buyer enough to act weird while backing out of the deal would probably cause more financial damage than the EMD that's on the line right now.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

jemand posted:

Question, if that inspection report possibly has something that has spooked the buyer, does OP want to stop asking for a copy of it? Sure of course they'd be curious, but regardless what it says they're still going to be wanting to sell. Having to disclose something based on new information that spooked at least one buyer enough to act weird while backing out of the deal would probably cause more financial damage than the EMD that's on the line right now.

I don't know the objectively best strategy, but from a time and money perspective I would rather know and deal with it now (either fix or disclose) than chance running through more offers where new inspections keep finding it and then back out again.

Personally, I think if it was that big of a problem (like, foundation we heavily sloped or cracked) the buyer's would have put in a crazy request for repairs ('replace house foundation') and let the deal fall through under inspection contingency. I wonder if they have other regrets but already exhausted the easy nspection contingency 'out' that a lot of people do.

Edit: did not see buyer waiving contingency, so no idea. If it was work related I would hope my job would cover she costs I would incur like losing my escrow. I know when we were looking and our agent brought up putting in multiple offers they told us it was super easy to back out if we needed to, but you weren't supposed to waive inspection for that to work. Maybe buyer's agent told them the same which is why theywwre so aggressive on the escrow

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 19, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PageMaster posted:

I don't know the objectively best strategy, but from a time and money perspective I would rather know and deal with it now (either fix or disclose) than chance running through more offers where new inspections keep finding it and then back out again.

Personally, I think if it was that big of a problem (like, foundation we heavily sloped or cracked) the buyer's would have put in a crazy request for repairs ('replace house foundation') and let the deal fall through under inspection contingency. I wonder if they have other regrets but already exhausted the easy nspection contingency 'out' that a lot of people do.

Buyer waived inspection contingency lol.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PageMaster posted:

There is no inspection contingency. The buyer waived it. That’s why they are acting all weird.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Say that there is a hidden major issue. The choices and outcomes are:

1) learn what it is and disclose it, possibly even lower your ask price. Bad luck, it sucks but at least no one is being deceived

2) don't learn what it is, future buyers continue to learn about the issue and either walk away or ask for a major concession, revealing the issue to the OP in the process. Same outcome as 1 but you're being an rear end in a top hat inconveniencing more people in the hope of getting outcome 3:

3) don't learn what it is, find a buyer who does not discover the issue, you successfully fleece them with a nasty surprise to be discovered later

The only way to not be an rear end in a top hat here is to get the inspection report and disclose any major issues.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

QuarkJets posted:

get the inspection report and disclose any major issues.

Never ever ever do this as a seller. Hit 'em with the Westworld "That doesn't look like anything to me" if they try to send you the inspection report.

Inspectors are involved in the home buying process, so please refer to thread title. They are often flat-out wrong and I would not want to have to disclose that we had a sale-fail due to foundation issues on account of Jimmy the Inspector thought one of the hairline cracks looked kinda spooky

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
4) Everyone pretends there is no issue. Everything is perfect, the best. Congratulations, you are now president

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Epitope posted:

4) Everyone pretends there is no issue. Everything is perfect, the best. Congratulations, you are now president

4b) Its infrastructure week again but for my house and it never ends.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Never ever ever do this as a seller. Hit 'em with the Westworld "That doesn't look like anything to me" if they try to send you the inspection report.

Inspectors are involved in the home buying process, so please refer to thread title. They are often flat-out wrong and I would not want to have to disclose that we had a sale-fail due to foundation issues on account of Jimmy the Inspector thought one of the hairline cracks looked kinda spooky

Never ever do the right thing in real estate sounds about right but it still makes you an rear end in a top hat

The cool thing is that you don't have to take some home inspector at their word, you can hire a structural engineer who can tell you whether the inspector was just an idiot. If there's no issue then there's nothing to disclose. It's extra expense, but at least you're not an rear end in a top hat

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Never ever do the right thing in real estate sounds about right but it still makes you an rear end in a top hat

The cool thing is that you don't have to take some home inspector at their word, you can hire a structural engineer who can tell you whether the inspector was just an idiot. If there's no issue then there's nothing to disclose. It's extra expense, but at least you're not an rear end in a top hat

Yes, let's get our hands on a report made by someone who may or may not have any real knowledge to make everything look as bad as possible, because this is what the buyer is paying for, and then have to spend more money to disprove it.

Home inspectors are largely failed contractors. They know their market and it is not aligned with the seller. It's not rational to take on thsi potentially false burden.

If things were different.....like inspectors were always knowledgeable and ethical.....this would not be a problem. But you seem to be operating in a fairy tale universe, not the market we exist in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If the problem is verifiable, then it should be disclosed. Do you disagree with this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

If the problem is verifiable, then it should be disclosed. Do you disagree with this?

Yes. The problem is that you seem to think some random inspector with potentially no qualifications to say what is or is not wrong with very expensive things like a foundation can't cause an expensive non-issue for a seller. You just don't seem to understand how this entire system works.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

QuarkJets posted:

If an inspection report causes a sale to fall through, and you spend $500 on a structural engineer to confirm the inspector was an idiot, you are now out $500 and you still have to disclose that the sale fell through because of the issue.

It doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat to let buyers do their own due diligence.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

Yes. The problem is that you seem to think some random inspector with potentially no qualifications to say what is or is not wrong with very expensive things like a foundation can't cause an expensive non-issue for a seller. You just don't seem to understand how this entire system works.

I'm saying something other than that: that the owner should get a second opinion from a professional of their choosing. How else would a disclosable problem be uncovered?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I'm saying something other than that: that the owner should get a second opinion from a professional of their choosing. How else would a disclosable problem be uncovered?

What would trigger an owner, who has lived in this house for several years, to think they have a major issue that needs disclosing other than.....the issue being major enough that this homeowner noticed the issue?

This is what the disclosure form is for. You are not obligated to hire NASA engineers to take core samples of your home to test them before you fill out that form and sell you house.

Some inspector hired by someone trying to get ammunition to get the lowest price possible is not aligned with the interest of the home seller, and their opinion should be treated as such.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epitope posted:

:yooge: Working hard, thank you!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone have experience with HoA assessments, builder subsidies, and inevitable rugpulls?

We are being quoted $X/month for HoA assessments for the new build condo we are looking at. That amount is reasonable and fine given the context of the gym, extensive grounds, pool, etc. it goes to maintain. On review, it looks like that $X/month is after applying the subsidy of $Y/month by the builder, which continues through a number of phases until build-out is complete (expected late 2022 or early 2023). At that point, the HoA assessments are anticipated to be spread across many more units, and therefore should theoretically remain relatively level thereafter even without the subsidy.

Obviously, this is all coming from the builder/seller, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

How worried should I be? This is a huge complex in a high CoL area with a name brand builder, if any of that matters. The starting monthly HoA assessment (after subsidy) is roughly 1/10 of what our monthly mortgage payment would be.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 19, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone have experience with HoA assessments, builder subsidies, and inevitable rugpulls?

We are being quoted $X/month for HoA assessments for the new build condo we are looking at. That amount is reasonable and fine given the context of the gym, extensive grounds, pool, etc. it goes to maintain. On review, it looks like that $X/month is after applying the subsidy of $Y/month by the builder, which continues through a number of phases until build-out is complete (expected late 2022 or early 2023). At that point, the HoA assessments are anticipated to be spread across many more units, and therefore should theoretically remain relatively level thereafter even without the subsidy.

Obviously, this is all coming from the builder/seller, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

How worried should I be? This is a huge complex in a high CoL area with a name brand builder, if any of that matters. The starting monthly HoA assessment (after subsidy) is roughly 1/10 of what our monthly mortgage payment would be.

Have it analyzed by a real estate attorney. They should be able to point to what's going to happen better than we can. Is there any accounting being provided to you or do you just think that those services are worth $x00? How much of that is funding the reserve?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

You know how people get upset that sellers accept cash offers with no contingencies even though other offers are for more money? This is why.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

You know how people get upset that sellers accept cash offers with no contingencies even though other offers are for more money? This is why.

This is pretty much thread title worthy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Have it analyzed by a real estate attorney. They should be able to point to what's going to happen better than we can. Is there any accounting being provided to you or do you just think that those services are worth $x00? How much of that is funding the reserve?

Based on the provided documentation a huge portion of the assessments is dedicated to funding the reserve. Is there a specific document I should be requesting to get ongoing/monthly/yearly financials versus forward-looking estimates? The first home in this complex was finished circa 2019, so they've been running for a couple years now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Motronic posted:

This is pretty much thread title worthy.

There will never be a more appropriate title than the current title.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 19, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

What would trigger an owner, who has lived in this house for several years, to think they have a major issue that needs disclosing other than.....the issue being major enough that this homeowner noticed the issue?

This is what the disclosure form is for. You are not obligated to hire NASA engineers to take core samples of your home to test them before you fill out that form and sell you house.

Some inspector hired by someone trying to get ammunition to get the lowest price possible is not aligned with the interest of the home seller, and their opinion should be treated as such.

I'm sure you can think of some examples of a disclosable problem that may be unknown to a seller, but here's a real world one: years ago we walked away from a home with a collapsed sewer line. Scoping is what uncovered it, and it was the inspector's opinion that the angle was small enough to remain functional but was a looming financial time bomb. We learned that several other homes had encountered this exact issue, which arose from slow settling of soil beneath the homes; some had the line cleaned annually, others addressed it more permanently, others were unaware.

Or how about a seller who does not reside on the property, such as an estate selling for a deceased person? Same problem: the estate should disclose all major problems, even those discovered by sellers' due diligence. Such sellers explicitly do not want to receive inspection reports, and such sellers are assholes.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Welp, found out another neighbor is listing next week loving up our timeline potentially. We had a good talk with them and it sounds like they’re open to pushing back their listing a week if we want to list next week since they don’t live there and it was a rental. They got burned 3 years ago when they tried to list and the market had dipped and a neighbor decided to list too without telling them. Neither house got any offers.

I think the market is starting to plateau but I’ve noticed after Memorial Day they started jacking up the list prices because of the comps and this week listings came down to earth a bit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sure you can think of some examples of a disclosable problem that may be unknown to a seller

Many. That's not what this disclosure form is for. That's why you, the buyer, causes an inspection to happen.

QuarkJets posted:

, but here's a real world one: years ago we walked away from a home with a collapsed sewer line. Scoping is what uncovered it, and it was the inspector's opinion that the angle was small enough to remain functional but was a looming financial time bomb. We learned that several other homes had encountered this exact issue, which arose from slow settling of soil beneath the homes; some had the line cleaned annually, others addressed it more permanently, others were unaware.

Awesome, you did you due diligence. Are some seller scumbags? Sure. Again, this is why you pay for an inspection.

QuarkJets posted:

Or how about a seller who does not reside on the property, such as an estate selling for a deceased person? Same problem: the estate should disclose all major problems, even those discovered by sellers' due diligence. Such sellers explicitly do not want to receive inspection reports, and such sellers are assholes.

So you are looking for a systemic change, and this thread is about the best way to work within the system. I get where you're coming from, but this isn't the place.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Estates can pretty much check unknown :shrug: down the line with a clean conscience unless they were literally involved in the day to day upkeep of the house. The people who knew are dead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GEMorris posted:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

Many. That's not what this disclosure form is for. That's why you, the buyer, causes an inspection to happen.

Awesome, you did you due diligence. Are some seller scumbags? Sure. Again, this is why you pay for an inspection.

So you are looking for a systemic change, and this thread is about the best way to work within the system. I get where you're coming from, but this isn't the place.

Who said anything about change? I'm just pointing out the assholes.

E: I am going to continue pointing out rear end in a top hat decisions in real estate and you can't stop me

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 19, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You guys are just dropping great titles left and right. I was about to change it to House-buying Thread: Its infrastructure week again but for my house and it never ends, then that next one about cash offers drops, but...

GEMorris posted:

This is still the right answer. :v:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm not posting the petty details because honestly it would be boring. But my lender seems to make loving things up their hobby. Thus I feel the need to warn the thread against using LoanLock.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Who said anything about change? I'm just pointing out the assholes.

E: I am going to continue pointing out rear end in a top hat decisions in real estate and you can't stop me

If selling a house makes you an rear end in a top hat then only assholes will sell houses, or something like that

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I'm not posting the petty details because honestly it would be boring. But my lender seems to make loving things up their hobby. Thus I feel the need to warn the thread against using LoanLock.

Lol, and just like that you prove sundae made the right choice. Post right below him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I was kinda surprised that my realtor was pushing to get the inspection report; I felt like the thread would recommend against something like that. However, it may be because Buyer's Realtor claimed "it was really good" and my Realtor was looking at trying to move the house faster with the next buyer. I'd like to think my guy was playing 11d chess with this, but I dunno :v:

I'm not sure I want to keep pushing for it now that the thread thinks something in it is the true issue, but it looks like I'm not getting it anyway so it's a moot point. It does make me wonder if the issue could be "aluminum wiring", but that wouldn't have triggered the amendment anyway because it states "anything that was code at the time, and is not now, but is in good working condition is not a material defect" :shrug:

Sorry for dragging the thread through such a spirited derail, everyone! I did find it to be very helpful, though, so thank you everyone for that ^_^