Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

To be fair to Back Arrow, a lot of failed series got into SRW and from there go to find some form of success thanks to the exposure.

To be even fairer to it, even more failed series don't make it to SRW. Successful ones, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I await the day Majestic Prince is in SRW.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

WrightOfWay posted:

I await the day Majestic Prince is in SRW.

We have Majestic Prince in SRW at home.

Majestic Prince in SRW at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRSakPzGQY

GimmickMan posted:

To be fair to Back Arrow, a lot of failed series got into SRW and from there go to find some form of success thanks to the exposure.

To be even fairer to it, even more failed series don't make it to SRW. Successful ones, too!

Sure. Regardless of the seeming financial failure, I've noticed there's a small yet growing number of people who enjoyed it.

Better that than making tons of money upfront yet having more folks scream about the show in anger or disappointment after it's over.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 19, 2021

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Alright, I finished Argento Soma. Wow, that show had a bunch of twists I wasn't expecting, and went places I didn't think it would go. Overall? A pretty good watch.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Steve Yun posted:

Another Dragonar question:

I vaguely remember metal swords but the google is showing me lightsabers. Did the bad guys have metal swords?

I’m remembering a moment when a bad guy robot swings down with his metal sword and the good guy robot blocks it by clapping really hard on the sword

Was this a moment in Dragonar or am I conflating it with another series?

One of the bad guys has a really big metal sword so it definitely happens. I think its the Gilgazamune that has a really big falchion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
IIRC beam sabers were a fancy new prototype tech in Dragonar that only the Dragonar units and the Falguen had, and everyone else used solid blades or chainsaws and stuff.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kanos posted:

IIRC beam sabers were a fancy new prototype tech in Dragonar that only the Dragonar units and the Falguen had, and everyone else used solid blades or chainsaws and stuff.

Yet another thing ripped off from first Gundam!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Yet another thing ripped off from first Gundam!

In Dragonar they're called laser swords. :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

In Dragonar they're called laser swords. :colbert:

Like in Space Fights: The Hegemony counterpunches!

Speaking of weird iterations of well known things, I'm finally watching New Getter Robo, and... yeah. I can already see why it doesn't get as much love in SRW, even if some parts are easier to fit in.

The Getter Robo manga stands out in the combining robot field by having a team that mostly got along. Sure, they were all psycho killers with their own distinct worldviews, but Ryoma and Hayato knew they had each other's back even before Musashi showed up.

Meanwhile, New has them just be assholes at each other for an episode so they can learn a cliche power of friendship lesson. It's a pretty weak episode. And the thing is, they had plenty of room to have conflict based on their characterization (Hayato's introduced as a terrorist even more murderous than in the original manga, the Benkei for the show is a monk who's trying to keep to what he was taught, even if he's terrible at it, and Ryoma's got a short temper and a habit of picking fights) but instead, they just went "Ryoma is an rear end in a top hat over nothing. There. We have conflict.", with the potential "real" conflicts ignored.

Oh, and the science institute only arming its guards with pistols when they know you need to completely pulp an Oni's brain to stop it is an egregious case of poor use of budget. Dr. Saotome really should be audited at some point.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
New Getter Robo has some issues but overall I feel it's the most consistently competent of the modern animated entries up to this point(Getter Robo Go is a 70's series made in the early 90's in the worst ways possible, Armageddon has a lot of messy bits due to the director change, Shin vs Neo is too short for it's own good and putting the Shin Getter Robo in so late in the OVA just murders it's pacing at the end)

But then I'll admit my opinions on Getter Robo as a franchise are kinda weird, like how I think Hien is the best of the manga entries, and that Shin Getter Robo(well and maybe a couple of the later made chapters he later added in for 90's rereleases of the original and G portions of the manga) is the only portion of the Ishikawa made manga that's actually any good(indeed personally I feel Go is incredibly overrated and is honestly pretty mediocre in most respects beyond mechanical and monster designs)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkwuw26ESn4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zone of the Enders plus buttrock? And was that actually Steve Blum in the cockpit or just a guy getting dubbed over by Steve?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Not sure about the steve blum part but NA, EU, and JP all got different buttrock tracks for the intro. I grew up with this game and it's super dope

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the second episode of Godzilla Singular Point has a pretty great giant robot right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So the new hotness for 2021 is... <opens envelope> ...Macross 7 !

Wait, what ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXAXhsMOEI

Yeah, me too. But this DID drop today so here we are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow that sounds incredibly wrong without the song we got in the EU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

mllaneza posted:

Wait, what ?

You know what? I'll take it over Delta, and Delta's "no, but the Windies are sympathetic fascists"

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

Wait, what ?

i will absolutely buy some subtitled macross 7 dvds if they decide to sell them to me under the new arrangement

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Does anyone remember the nameof the short comedy anime that aired awhile back that was like, a dessert themed 70s super robot show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Does anyone remember the nameof the short comedy anime that aired awhile back that was like, a dessert themed 70s super robot show.

It was Doamaiger-D.

(Started indexing all the anime and manga I've finished a bit back. Surprisingly handy at times like this.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It was Doamaiger-D.

(Started indexing all the anime and manga I've finished a bit back. Surprisingly handy at times like this.)

Thank you very much :tipshat:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

mllaneza posted:

Wait, what ?

Has Macross 7 ever had any official English subtitles/translations in the past? This has English subtitles. Not what I was expecting, but hey I liked Macross 7 so I'll take it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, and decades ago they couldn't license macross 7 because they said the music license alone would sink their budget.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hannibal posted:

Has Macross 7 ever had any official English subtitles/translations in the past? This has English subtitles. Not what I was expecting, but hey I liked Macross 7 so I'll take it.

Right. Those are official subtitles for Macross 7.

I never thought I'd see the day.

Just two months since the deal was made and this, plus the model kit re-releases have already happened. More must be coming.

Update on the kits, I've got a Regult battlepod and a Destroid Defender. Every date on the box or the instruction manual says 1982. But they were in New shrinkwrap and everything is in pristine condition. These weren't in a warehouse somewhere, these are new production. So someone kept at least the molds for the kits, if not the plates to print the box and instructions as well. You could make new boxes identical to the original release without too much effort, but getting everything together as fast as they did is impressive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was genuinely surprised to discover that Promare was a mecha anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

getter robo arc:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hell, I'll take it. I'm not even mad anymore. It's just good to see Ishikawa back on the tv

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

getter robo arc:

Not a huge shock, given the track record.

Did some research about New Getter to find out why it looked so shoddy, and I found a likely culprit. Apparently, despite being an OVA, the schedule was much closer to a standard TV show. Two episodes a month on average, unlike the multiple months for a single episode back when Neo was coming out.

It still looks worse than a lot of seasonal anime, but if you assume production started with the idea they'd have a more standard OVA schedule, the cut corners make a lot more sense.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
New Delta looking weird https://youtu.be/4Gt5hp-sQAQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That made me realize that I genuinely can't remember what the main singer lady's deal was. I remember it was a mystery, she was an enigmatic character, but I straight up have zero memory of what was eventually revealed about her. And seeing her as a weird cyber lady in that promo jogs no memories.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

That made me realize that I genuinely can't remember what the main singer lady's deal was. I remember it was a mystery, she was an enigmatic character, but I straight up have zero memory of what was eventually revealed about her.

Precursor clone, I think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That made me realize that I genuinely can't remember what the main singer lady's deal was. I remember it was a mystery, she was an enigmatic character, but I straight up have zero memory of what was eventually revealed about her. And seeing her as a weird cyber lady in that promo jogs no memories.

1. giant amazing hair
2. made in a lab, is actually only a few years old

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Precursor clone, I think.

huh. What were the ramifications of that?

edit: OK I'm starting to realize that I don't remember the back half of Delta at all. I'm pretty sure I watched it all though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you probably don't remember the back half of delta because it was terrible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gripweed posted:

huh. What were the ramifications of that?

edit: OK I'm starting to realize that I don't remember the back half of Delta at all. I'm pretty sure I watched it all though.

The plot ramifications were that she could sing to protoculture ruins and reactivate them to a degree.

Her whole deal was also like the most poorly hidden "secret" ever, but they still teased it like it was a big mystery for like 10 episodes because they had nothing else to write about.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Gripweed posted:

she is baby, and anyone drawing lewd art of her is automatically sent to jail by the state.

To be serious I don't believe she was actually meant to be a clone from Protoculture stock, but from yet another servitor geneline.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you probably don't remember the back half of delta because it was terrible.

Felt like 9 consecutive episodes of "oh yeah, so what?" coming out of my mouth. This new film at least seems to be a little weirder, but they could drop the ball at any time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kanos posted:

The plot ramifications were that she could sing to protoculture ruins and reactivate them to a degree.

Her whole deal was also like the most poorly hidden "secret" ever, but they still teased it like it was a big mystery for like 10 episodes because they had nothing else to write about.

What did reactivating Protoculture ruins do?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What did reactivating Protoculture ruins do?

Let a dude try to mind control the whole galaxy. Like in Frontier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Delta sounds terrible. Glad I never bothered checking it out