Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don’t know if this is a joke about the weight of the game or the visual aesthetics.

Both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That joke says more about you than the game given that the rules are literally 5 pages :lol:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Bottom Liner posted:

That joke says more about you than the game given that the rules are literally 5 pages :lol:

And all of the art assets are clipart.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh no, no one tell them about the art in Pax Pamir 2e.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'll take the clipart over 99% of the art in boardgames nowadays.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

taser rates posted:

I'll take the clipart over 99% of the art in boardgames nowadays.

we demand more cute cthulu themed games!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
FFG did an unboxing and brief Q+A on their BSG-‘em-up Unfathomable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pc6sMb1ZAU

The main takeaway I had for this thread is that it seems like it’s going to be fairly similar to BSG in terms of game length (based on there still being a halfway “Sleeper Agent” style phase).

e: url => video tags

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 17, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm interested to know if the game length is fixed or variable. I didn't like how the best play for a Cylon Admiral was to extend an already long game as far as possible, instead of jumping the fleet into an asteroid field for massive damage.

Another thing BSG needed was a way to accelerate a game where all the traitors had been revealed. Some win condition like, "If all traitors are revealed, add up all remaining resources. Subtract 1 for each damaged location on the ship, and subtract 5 for each distance from the destination. If the result is above zero, the humans win!" or something. The game is at its best when you're not sure of the teams, and at its worst when you're just going through the motions.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 17, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gort posted:

I'm interested to know if the game length is fixed or variable. I didn't like how the best play for a Cylon Admiral was to extend an already long game as far as possible, instead of jumping the fleet into an asteroid field for massive damage.

Another thing BSG needed was a way to accelerate a game where all the traitors had been revealed. Some win condition like, "If all traitors are revealed, add up all remaining resources. Subtract 1 for each damaged location on the ship, and subtract 5 for each distance from the destination. If the result is above zero, the humans win!" or something. The game is at its best when you're not sure of the teams, and at its worst when you're just going through the motions.

I found that the space combat in BSG wasn't really very interesting. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but they could have flattened it quite a lot and that would have improved the game.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

CommonShore posted:

I found that the space combat in BSG wasn't really very interesting. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but they could have flattened it quite a lot and that would have improved the game.

FFG's combat systems suck the life out of any interesting game they shovel them into why won't they take the hint?

Well I mean, we know why (they sell "theme" via a brick of tiny cards with italic text on them instead of other companies that use a bucket of fragile miniatures), but still.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bobvonunheil posted:

I can hardly even see the orange and tan pieces on the board, and I have no colour blindness or vision problems to speak of.

Until you commented I didn't know there were orange and tan pieces on the board.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Bruceski posted:

Until you commented I didn't know there were orange and tan pieces on the board.

I'm color-blind and have no idea what I'm looking at, nor do I have any desire to squint at a board for 45 minutes trying to figure it out as I rain a thousand curses down on people who insist on using blue and purple or gold and light green or light red and orange when there are (n!)/(n-r)! a nearly infinite number of other combinations to use.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Ah yes Mars.

The Yellow Planet.

Bit late but Fryxelius was absolutely in the comments :actually:ing this.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

gschmidl posted:

Bit late but Fryxelius was absolutely in the comments :actually:ing this.

It's funny because when Infinitum posted that I was gonna say "Mars is actually something of a dark butterscotch color, the redness comes from dust in the atmosphere" but I realized that loving canary yellow color ain't no butterscotch so they still hosed up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Should we use a similar colour for the Mars ground tiles? Like we have on the cover of our game?"

Fryxelius "NO! I CRAVE PISS COLOURED TILES!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a board game day and managed to get 3 games in of Gladius, Whitehall Mystery, and Fury of Dracula

Got a couple of rounds of Gladius in. I'm really warming up to it, and I'm glad I backed it on KS. It's a hidden betting game where you're screwing around with the outcome of gladiator battles, and it's over super quickly.
If you want an inbetweener type game, something you can break out for 15-20min, I would recommend you check it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Whitehall was great as always, and ended with myself and the other detectives physically denying Jack access to his final drop off location - Forcing him to surrender.

Here's Jack at the 3rd drop off point looking at us blocking off the rivers. We just stood there for 5 rounds while he came over and took a chance that his drop-off location wasn't on the close side of the river.

I love Whitehall, it's great for hidden movement and everybody should have it in their collections :allears:

--------------------------------------------------------

A 5th player rocked up late, so I suggested Fury of Dracula which ended with Dracula juking around the Seas of Brittania the entire loving game. It is the first time I have ever personally seen the Despair tracker reach Week 3 and Dracula winning by automatically progressing the Despair track.

We came within one turn of just outright murdering him when Mina Harkness drew Heroic Leap (Instead of initiating Combat. The Vampire takes 5 damage, and then the Hunter takes 5 Damage) Dracula then moved away and we lost track of him

I also spent the entire game Supplying at Night, and pulling 90% Hunter cards from the bottom of the deck - Like the odds of it happening was amazing, and it was a thoroughly shuffled deck as well :allears:
We also went through the ENTIRE encounter deck, which is again something I have never personally seen.

We ALSO managed to get all 3 Fast Horses out + ensured that the '1' train tickets were in players hands - So we could always use Fast Horses without worrying about losing the card (Not that it helps when Dracula was at sea and around Britain & Ireland)

My mistake was introducing the Power deck for Dracula, while I had 2 new players at the table, as it is my preferred way to play now - And I should have kept things at the 'base' level.
Everyone still had a blast, and my friend who played Dracula was stressed out the entire game - as is tradition.

I adore hidden movement games, and if I ever make a board game you can bet your bottom dollar it will hidden movement based :v:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

CommonShore posted:

It was a series of dice rolls :rolldice:

And often there was an optimal way to do combat so pilots didnt have a lot of cover there for shennanigans other than the inherent awfulness of being a pilot and drawing from that skill deck

Pilots are always cylons

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there's a reason that the space combat side of BSG was the most heavily house ruled for our SA BSG games - it always felt like a tacked-on obligation. If the new game is flattening or eliminating that aspect then that's a big plus.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Fury of Dracula

Oh man, we really need to play this again! I've been trying all year, to play FoD with friends. We always have either too few players, too many, or just plain not enough time. Such a good game though - definitely in my top three favourites.

Plus if we play again with goons, we can potentially probe you again for fun! :drac: mwahaha

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Major Isoor posted:

Oh man, we really need to play this again! I've been trying all year, to play FoD with friends. We always have either too few players, too many, or just plain not enough time. Such a good game though - definitely in my top three favourites.

Plus if we play again with goons, we can potentially probe you again for fun! :drac: mwahaha

Both times I've played FOD it's been someone else in charge of teaching and they've hosed up the rules to the degree the game didn't work.

I dunno if I can ever be bothered to go back for more after that. Seemed like it could be cool, but... ugh.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A lot of the problem with FoD is that both the Learn to Play and Rules References aren't laid out well. It suffers from a lot of the minuate, something I struggle with when doing The Teach, being hidden away in little one line sentences and not clearly defined.
Things like 'Combat is 6 rounds total', 'Dracula is not revealed if you move into the same sea zone', and 'order of operations for engaging multiple vampires' can be glossed over easily.

Like I am very much guilty of making mistakes, and have done so during the 3 FoD streams I've done, but I still find I am double checking the references to make sure I'm not inadvertently loving over anyone at the table.

Major Isoor posted:

This can probably be arranged... at some point.. not sure when!
In 2 weeks I'm hosting a 6 player Twilight Imperium day, then I'm hoping 2 weeks after that for a Feast for Odin day

I think for Christmas I'm going to ask Santa for a bigger table because loving hell some of my games are getting big.
Next 2 big "where the hell are my players going to sit" games will likely be Merchants of the Dark Road & Dead Reckoning (once they ship out)

Honestly it looks like Wyrmwood are finally getting their house in order for the modular gaming tables, so I may look at that the next time it launches. (And :suicide: at the raised prices due to global wood prices rising like 20-30%)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

FoD talk

In 2 weeks I'm hosting a 6 player Twilight Imperium day, then I'm hoping 2 weeks after that for a Feast for Odin day

Nice, solid gaming. I've only played FoD once 3p and it was as miserable, long, annoying experience. I'd be more than happy to try it again with people who know how to play and can coach/quarterback/advise but I think it'd be tough to justify it over any other number of games of similar weight/time commitment that we can reliably enjoy.

Excited to hear how your upcoming TI and Feast days go. TI is in a similar category for me where I get a craving for it once a year and then after I play it I don't want to touch it again for a long time dependent on how annoying/frustrating the game went and what level of quiet nerd rage I am exposed to (directly or indirectly) from the people whose lips quiver at any combat. It's always 1/3 Space Risk in our group with the player winning who quietly flies under the radar.

We got to play 18MEX on the weekend with five players, two of which were new. Game went long due to inexperience but was fun to watch (we had six so I sat out and did administration). In general I think most people are too care-bear with their corporations and reluctant to start multiple companies for train shuffling/dumping purposes. This was one of the first games in a while though that we didn't hit a $200 stock price end point. The table made a critical error and let one player late game acquire 60% of a new corporation and then double-failed to token him out of hilarious runs leaving him taking giant revenue for several ORs with no adequate response but it's all part of learning.

We then played First Contact and after some initial teaching hurdles, had a great time, or at least most of us did. It's definitely a bit crunchier than codenames but I really like it and think it's a valuable addition to the party game library. After that we played Letter Jam and I had a good time again, even though I had some trouble remembering the rules and accidentally listed peoples' secret letters by accident once or twice. WHOOPS.

And finally, we finished off the weekend by finally getting in a game of Shores of Tripoli. Really liked it. For those who don't know, it's a two-player card-driven war game set in the early 1800s with the United States getting sick of having their poo poo raided by pirates on the barbary coast and deciding to send in the Navy. One player plays the Yanks and the other the Tripolitans. The Yanks win if they can install a friendly new Tripolitan leader or force them to accept a treaty. The Tripolitan player wins if they sink four US frigates or pirate enough gold from invisible merchant ships. Each player has their own deck of cards that you can either play for their event or for two basic operations unique to faction. I was worried that my GF would not like it because of the dry theme but by the end she was having a blast and managed to steal enough gold on her last piracy attempt to win it. The game played super quickly and smoothly and feels like a simplified and sped up version of a more complicated GMT-style CDG. I think that the total time between use learning and finishing was about 1.5 hours. Easily could be played under an hour I think.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If its review hour, I recently got Kanban EV because I work in a factory and am shallow as a puddle. The best way to describe it is a car-factory-themed worker placement game with very limited space, where all your actions simultaneously crank the gears of the engine thats comprised of the entire board. The first game was spent trying to figure out how to even get things moving so there was no coherent strategy, no one had enough time to do anything, the manager ended up being weaponized to hurt other players, and at the end of the game we had each inexplicably produced several cars. All in all, extremely accurate factory simulator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Control Volume posted:

If its review hour, I recently got Kanban EV because I work in a factory and am shallow as a puddle. The best way to describe it is a car-factory-themed worker placement game with very limited space, where all your actions simultaneously crank the gears of the engine thats comprised of the entire board.

The first sentence is a 0 on the DAYS SINCE LAST ACCIDENT sign waiting to happen. The second sentence is a perfect descriptor of Kanban EV.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jedit posted:

The first sentence is a 0 on the DAYS SINCE LAST ACCIDENT sign waiting to happen.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if I have Kanban do I need Kanban EV? Kanban 1 is prob my fav lacerda

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet is saying it's only slight tweaks (as well as a new solo mode if that's worth consideration) but the components are fantastic. It reminds me a lot of Scythes production quality

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

quote:

Kanban talk

Weight: 4.34 / 5 :stare:

On another note, I finally had the chance to play Catan (after years of hearing good things about it by mostly casual players) and I was thoroughly disappointed in just *how* much luck was in it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Freakie posted:

On another note, I finally had the chance to play Catan (after years of hearing good things about it by mostly casual players) and I was thoroughly disappointed in just *how* much luck was in it.

It's not just random, but prone to one player having nothing to do because they don't have any resources. Skill can alleviate that somewhat, but it's not a fun casual experience.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nothing like a rousing game of Catan where you or anyone else never roll your goods, leaving you having to literally watch other people play. Top it off with the experienced Catan player telling you after the fact it's because you did your setup poorly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Internet is saying it's only slight tweaks (as well as a new solo mode if that's worth consideration) but the components are fantastic. It reminds me a lot of Scythes production quality

The board is also much easier to read. The original board was the first Lacerda I saw and I noped out at the thought of it. The new board is super clean and everything makes sense.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Freakie posted:

It's a shorter Monopoly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Kanban EV costs about 2-2.5 times what the original cost, so do factor that in to your considerations.

I'll be hanging on to my standard internal combustion version.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Is it basically impossible to get the early Cthulhu wars expansions now? I can't seem to find Windwalker, Sleeper, or Opener of the Way anywhere, including second hand. I really want to be able to play it 5 players but Tcho Tcho and the Ancients have some poor reviews and those seem to be the only ones you can buy anymore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OrthoTrot posted:

Is it basically impossible to get the early Cthulhu wars expansions now? I can't seem to find Windwalker, Sleeper, or Opener of the Way anywhere, including second hand. I really want to be able to play it 5 players but Tcho Tcho and the Ancients have some poor reviews and those seem to be the only ones you can buy anymore.

Petersen Games definitely have Opener and Sleeper in their webstore right now.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Thanks. For some reason that hasn't occurred to me. I may have to suck up the shipping costs to the UK.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gschmidl posted:

It's a shorter Monopoly.

I think if you start with dealing a couple properties to each player, and end on the first bankruptcy, Monopoly is a better casual game. At least you get to move your iron or steamer around.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Every year at GenCon one of the hot items has always been AEG's gift bag thing. It used to be an item that would sell out in the first hour or two of opening day.

This year they're doing a Kickstarter for the bag, limited to 2000 people, for $40.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alderac/big-game-night-aegs-premier-convention-experience?ref=500fdi&token=1a702ff7

Sorry if already posted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

US addresses only, be warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Every year at GenCon one of the hot items has always been AEG's gift bag thing. It used to be an item that would sell out in the first hour or two of opening day.

This year they're doing a Kickstarter for the bag, limited to 2000 people, for $40.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alderac/big-game-night-aegs-premier-convention-experience?ref=500fdi&token=1a702ff7

Sorry if already posted.

Plus $13 shipping